Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Namm Akai stuff maybe

Comments

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@ToMess said:
    It is technically possible to create a machine thats as small as an ipad with same processing power and battery life, then integrate slim pads to it, maybe a breakout box for other ports than headphone out and micro sd memory to keep it as small as possible. But developing such a machine is not very realistic at this time and age imo

That’s were I disagree. It’s just a matter of market. If enough people thinks it’s useful and are willing to pay for it then realistic is the most suitable word for that.
    What makes it less profitable is actual solutions to that problem being Apple the most valuable proposal. Which I try to point asking for embedding platform to compite is just that suposition. For me Apple isn’t that reliable option anymore and had make lots of mistakes over the years (mfi, port changes, ram limitations, store limitations...) so I can see a brand taking the gauntlet and saying let’s do it.

Akai is doing that more or less but struggling with its own fails and economic strategy. Maybe they can release something like that but probably it will be the worst strategy for them.

It’s like expect a new groovebox from Roland putting the best of Variphrase, RC looping, shape of sp808... it’s better to look into Pioneer or Elektron... or even EHX! :lol:

Yes its a matter of market and if enough people would buy the product, it would be realistic. However id dont think enough people would buy it for such a certainty, that it would be realistic for companies like akai to invest(or get investments) for such a product

• edited January 2019

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@hansjbs said:
    @kobamoto and @TheDubbyLabby i can see that you guys have never opened up a mpc x or live. They have to be this thick to support all the inputs and output from audio and midi. Hold a touch screen motherboard and battery for the live. With enough air flow to not overheat. The only way to.make it thinner is to go apple with breakout cables. Would you guys prefer that? I had the live and now the mpc x they are not that big for what they hold and can do. You can't compare them to the new MPDs these are just controllers. Look what happened to any hardware that did not have a Full usb port. The mini USB broke. As an engineer I can tell that sometimes with components the design cannot be as portable as you would like. If the components are not small how do you expect the hardware to be small? If they went on to design their own flatter components we wouldn't be able to afford a MPC X or Live. We would have to pay more money towards the design and development of flatter parts and wait way longer for a product to come out. I don't think you guys understand how long that works. At my job we started development on a new radar which they plan to start production in about 5 years.

First of all...

I expent last 15 years opening everything, most of the time fixing things, sometimes breaking things and last years hacking things to build my own solutions. Worked in different technology projects and lived the worst part from inside. I know what I’m talking about... but anyways if you recheck my comments you will find I’m mostly agreed with your analisys. Also you will notice I proposed proved solutions not wishful thinking.

I have 2 engineeren brothers (1 hard 1 soft) and I had this discussion soooo many times about the years. Let me say Radars aren’t instruments for good and for bad sides. :wink:

Said that it is obvious users will had dissapointment from features or price. Even Apple has suffering this over their history and any tool isn’t perfect but some had the right balance between features/specs/compromises and price.

Probably we will see in the future a product more suitable for @kobamoto needs or maybe it’s already done but out of his pocket. In my case I have so clear what my needs and what my flaws are than I expent time discussing at forums dumb (and old) things to forget about my _life matters. Sorry if that made you feel I was just a teenager asking for the moon...

That’s why ended asking about rethinking the workflow. I was never a true HipHop head even in my teenager. I’m more a forward dreamer getting old and learning living life with less in each side of it.

For me this Akai (or whatever finally gets released) could be a nice tool to ditch definetly iDevices on stage but I don’t care if not. If I need something in the future I will put it in the business plan and that’s it. If I can make it profitable I could afford it, if not then I just don’t care.

Life is too short to wait for others solutions. Make your own or hire someone to make it for you. If you don’t have the confidence to see how it’s up to one then you don’t deserve it (ok maybe it’s a bit too much but I think the message is clear for anyone in the same vibration). In fact I have more tools that I use so probably some of them aren’t necessary at this point of my life :lol:

I know your credentials @TheDubbyLabby . I read your comment and you said you agree with @kobamoto. Now maybe you don’t fully agree but you did not point out which part you agree with. My comments were not meant to disrespect or question your knowledge it’s just that to me It could not be possible yet to have them be any smaller or thinner for more portability without some sacrifices. I apologize if anything was misunderstood.

• edited January 2019

@kobamoto said:
    @hansjbs

I'll just leave this here, didn't you guys see the pic I posted earlier, they've already done it. There are already 2 models in this series the mpx-8 and the mpx- 16 which is the one in this video, look at all of the I/0 on it, and it even has onboard storage and an sd slot like the mpc live and x... it's definitely possible already for them to make something between this and the mpc live that could fit the bill of what I'm talking about. If they had put the core mpc sequencer in this I'd have one already cause it just about has everything else and would be the perfect on the go machine

look at how thin this thing is compared to kaoss pads and volcas

Man come on. I know you’re not comparing the akai mpx 8 and 16 to the live and X. These things can’t even compare and that’s why they flopped. How popular are those. Even when they came out a while ago. Where are you going to fit a powerful enough motherboard to handle the x and live OS? Now if you don’t care about that ok cool but there’s no way they could have done what they did to the x and live in that small of a form factor with all those I/Os. For this to be possible everything would have to be proprietary and would cost way too much. Why do you thinks iPads are getting more and more expensive? Why do you thing windows/iOS tablets are more expensive than desktop but less powerful. Come on man!!!!!!! We can’t have affordable powerful and small form factor yet. That’s gonna require a few more years and lots more manufacturers.

• edited January 2019

@hansjbs

of course not a direct comparison, but it's proof that the form factor is viable and possible... there is more than enough space for I/0 right there for them to do a joint to take the spot of the mpc 500... slot in the market. The only thing missing from the mpx series is the rest of the sequencer, but you can already sample on it, and edit samples, and play back samples even of long length... they've already figured out how to not need a massive infrastructure to make the pads play well, the mpx series play just fine.... that thing was buggy as hell though but that's another story.. I'm saying they could change the orientation to the 4x4 and add even the basic sequencer and make the programs compatible with the mpc x and mpc live and that would already be enough for people to get a lot of use out of that while on the go

• @kobamoto said:
    @hansjbs

of course not a direct comparison, but it's proof that the form factor is viable and possible... there is more than enough space for I/0 right there for them to do a joint to take the spot of the mpc 500...

I guess a nice size touch screen and a really good motherboard with enough processing power to do what the mpcX and live OS can do is not something you need.

• @hansjbs said:

@kobamoto said:
    @hansjbs

of course not a direct comparison, but it's proof that the form factor is viable and possible... there is more than enough space for I/0 right there for them to do a joint to take the spot of the mpc 500...

I guess a nice size touch screen and a really good motherboard with enough processing power to do what the mpcX and live OS can do is not something you need.

not on the go, no.

• edited January 2019

@kobamoto said:

@hansjbs said:

@kobamoto said:
    @hansjbs

not on the go, no.

Ok cool.
    I was about to say the smallest most powerful motherboard right now is the lattepanda 864. It’s 4.5inch by 3inch and cost about $400. That’s without anything else, prices of a new MPC with this in it would almost triple.

• @hansjbs said:

@kobamoto said:

@hansjbs said:

@kobamoto said:
    @hansjbs

not on the go, no.

Ok cool.
    I was about to say the smallest most powerful motherboard right now is the lattepanda 864. It’s 4.5inch by 3inch and cost about $400. That’s without anything else, prices of a new MPC with this in it would almost triple the current price.

• edited January 2019

@hansjbs said:
    >

Ok cool.
    I was about to say the smallest most powerful motherboard right now is the lattepanda 864. It’s 4.5inch by 3inch and cost about $400. That’s without anything else, prices of a new MPC with this in it would almost triple the current price.

they need to come up with something, cause as you know the mpc live is heavy , if they don't fill the mpc 500 niche, somebody will.... what kind of processor is in an digitiakt?
    they need to come up with something you can toss around in a backpack and just run with it.

it's like they say, the best camera is the one you have on your person all the time, I'd leave my mpc live in the studio and run with something lighter

• I don’t find the mpclive to be heavy at all...it’s 5 lbs?! You are not doing enough beer curls..laughing out loud..
    Compared to the mv8800 the MPC x is quite light as well, the x is only 15 lbs

• The acplive is looking more and more like an mpclive/x middle machine with a 64 pad workflow and better recording io and more qlinks. Which means that maybe name is going to announce new MPC 2.4 software with more features? Hmmm

• @MrSmileZ said:
    I don’t find the mpclive to be heavy at all...it’s 5 lbs?! You are not doing enough beer curls..laughing out loud..
    Compared to the mv8800 the MPC x is quite light as well, the x is only 15 lbs

haha you're talking to somebody that used to run around with an sp-808 in a big ass back pack at all times. The mpc live is not a back breaker by any means but still bulky and more fragile than I'd like to run around the city with. Right now I keep the digitakt with me cause it doesn't mind if it gets banged up and still does it's thing

• I used to have the sp808, and used it like crazy...super limited in a lot of ways but not bad for a hybrid 4 track digital recorder sampler effects box.

• there is an open niche for akai to do something that is still low-key that wouldn't attract too much attention if you pull it out in a coffeeshop, library, or bookstore etc.. like the mpc 500 but with updated features.... we know they won't put the actual mpc sequencer into an iPad app so it's gonna have to be a new piece of hardware if it happens at all

• edited January 2019

@MrSmileZ said:
    I used to have the sp808, and used it like crazy...super limited in a lot of ways but not bad for a hybrid 4 track digital recorder sampler effects box.

I still have all of my Zip disk, I loved that thing to death shouldn't have got rid of it and plan to scoop one up again. I also had the emix and Edirol versions... you could load up the eidirol version os onto the emix or regular version and it would run perfectly .. Their used prices are actually starting to creep back up now :(

that dreaded disk error message drove me nuts though

• edited January 2019

@MrSmileZ said:
    The acplive is looking more and more like an mpclive/x middle machine with a 64 pad workflow and better recording io and more qlinks. Which means that maybe name is going to announce new MPC 2.4 software with more features? Hmmm

can't lie, not happy about this thing... the qlinks and the possible updated features are the only thing I'm interested in. I'm not sure how much thought they really put into this, you would think they must have put a lot but my question would be is it good enough to replace a desk with an mpc live and an ableton push on it... However The thought of having a stand alone version of push is exciting so I gotta keep an open mind but the likelihood that they will be able to out push the push is highly unlikely Imo... will love to be wrong about that

• @MrSmileZ said:
    I used to have the sp808, and used it like crazy...super limited in a lot of ways but not bad for a hybrid 4 track digital recorder sampler effects box.

@MrSmileZ said:

Ditto, it was the core if my live set for a long while. With a better form factor and storage options I could still see something like that being popular today.

• @kobamoto said:
    @hansjbs

I'll just leave this here, didn't you guys see the pic I posted earlier, they've already done it. There are already 2 models in this series the mpx-8 and the mpx- 16 which is the one in this video, look at all of the I/0 on it, and it even has onboard storage and an sd slot like the mpc live and x... it's definitely possible already for them to make something between this and the mpc live that could fit the bill of what I'm talking about. If they had put the core mpc sequencer in this I'd have one already cause it just about has everything else and would be the perfect on the go machine

look at how thin this thing is compared to kaoss pads and volcas

Sorry but the MPX & MPC are totally different beasts, yes they are both samplers but the MPX is simply an updated SO1, it is light years away from the MPC Live/X.
    On a side note the Live is very portable especially when compared to previous MPC models such as the 2000XL.

• it might not be readily evident but the mpx/mpc live comparison wasn't about capabilities, it was a proof of form example of how it is possible in this day and age of iPads, and MacBook airs, as well as other thin and light devices to make an mpc device that can be thinner and lighter than the mpc live... another good example would be the mpc 500.
    my opinion is that the mpc live need not be as thin or light that akai can go, if not for any other reason than that they've made thinner and lighter pieces before that are close enough to fitting the bill that they could feasibly do it again, and stick the current software inside it.

I agree that the live is very portable compared to an mpc 2000xl or any other non-portable model of mpc but we're discussing the fact there is an open slot in the market for akai to fill that the mpc 500 filled earlier, something thinner, and light enough that you could toss it into a backpack and go as well as pull it out without drawing too much attention... the mpc live is too big and heavy for each of those scenarios, I would be afraid to treat my mpc live the way I treated my mpc 500 or my ipad

• If the MPC Live v2 were thinner, lighter and they finally added glide/portamento to keygroups, I’d buy one in a heartbeat. Sure, components are expensive, but the MPC Live has a large and clunky design that could surely be optimised for a v2.

• man if they made it as thin as that mpx and reversed the pad/knob/ screen orientation so that the pads were on the right side and the knobs/screen was on the left I'd pay more for it without hesitation!

• I need an mpc fly type controller for my iPad with usb midi and audio. Don't make the controller app specific make it generic. I miss the mpc fly. It was a great concept too bad akai made it for impc usage only.

• edited January 2019

@ToMess said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@ToMess said:
    It is technically possible to create a machine thats as small as an ipad with same processing power and battery life, then integrate slim pads to it, maybe a breakout box for other ports than headphone out and micro sd memory to keep it as small as possible. But developing such a machine is not very realistic at this time and age imo

That’s were I disagree. It’s just a matter of market. If enough people thinks it’s useful and are willing to pay for it then realistic is the most suitable word for that.
    What makes it less profitable is actual solutions to that problem being Apple the most valuable proposal. Which I try to point asking for embedding platform to compite is just that suposition. For me Apple isn’t that reliable option anymore and had make lots of mistakes over the years (mfi, port changes, ram limitations, store limitations...) so I can see a brand taking the gauntlet and saying let’s do it.

Akai is doing that more or less but struggling with its own fails and economic strategy. Maybe they can release something like that but probably it will be the worst strategy for them.

It’s like expect a new groovebox from Roland putting the best of Variphrase, RC looping, shape of sp808... it’s better to look into Pioneer or Elektron... or even EHX! :lol:

Yes its a matter of market and if enough people would buy the product, it would be realistic. However id dont think enough people would buy it for such a certainty, that it would be realistic for companies like akai to invest(or get investments) for such a product

That's just what I said. It could be a market for an embed solution (or box) from one of the "bigger" brands but maybe not for akai.

@hansjbs said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@hansjbs said:
    @kobamoto and @TheDubbyLabby i can see that you guys have never opened up a mpc x or live. They have to be this thick to support all the inputs and output from audio and midi. Hold a touch screen motherboard and battery for the live. With enough air flow to not overheat. The only way to.make it thinner is to go apple with breakout cables. Would you guys prefer that? I had the live and now the mpc x they are not that big for what they hold and can do. You can't compare them to the new MPDs these are just controllers. Look what happened to any hardware that did not have a Full usb port. The mini USB broke. As an engineer I can tell that sometimes with components the design cannot be as portable as you would like. If the components are not small how do you expect the hardware to be small? If they went on to design their own flatter components we wouldn't be able to afford a MPC X or Live. We would have to pay more money towards the design and development of flatter parts and wait way longer for a product to come out. I don't think you guys understand how long that works. At my job we started development on a new radar which they plan to start production in about 5 years.

First of all...

I expent last 15 years opening everything, most of the time fixing things, sometimes breaking things and last years hacking things to build my own solutions. Worked in different technology projects and lived the worst part from inside. I know what I’m talking about... but anyways if you recheck my comments you will find I’m mostly agreed with your analisys. Also you will notice I proposed proved solutions not wishful thinking.

I have 2 engineeren brothers (1 hard 1 soft) and I had this discussion soooo many times about the years. Let me say Radars aren’t instruments for good and for bad sides. :wink:

Said that it is obvious users will had dissapointment from features or price. Even Apple has suffering this over their history and any tool isn’t perfect but some had the right balance between features/specs/compromises and price.

Probably we will see in the future a product more suitable for @kobamoto needs or maybe it’s already done but out of his pocket. In my case I have so clear what my needs and what my flaws are than I expent time discussing at forums dumb (and old) things to forget about my _life matters. Sorry if that made you feel I was just a teenager asking for the moon...

That’s why ended asking about rethinking the workflow. I was never a true HipHop head even in my teenager. I’m more a forward dreamer getting old and learning living life with less in each side of it.

For me this Akai (or whatever finally gets released) could be a nice tool to ditch definetly iDevices on stage but I don’t care if not. If I need something in the future I will put it in the business plan and that’s it. If I can make it profitable I could afford it, if not then I just don’t care.

Life is too short to wait for others solutions. Make your own or hire someone to make it for you. If you don’t have the confidence to see how it’s up to one then you don’t deserve it (ok maybe it’s a bit too much but I think the message is clear for anyone in the same vibration). In fact I have more tools that I use so probably some of them aren’t necessary at this point of my life :lol:

I know your credentials @TheDubbyLabby . I read your comment and you said you agree with @kobamoto. Now maybe you don’t fully agree but you did not point out which part you agree with. My comments were not meant to disrespect or question your knowledge it’s just that to me It could not be possible yet to have them be any smaller or thinner for more portability without some sacrifices. I apologize if anything was misunderstood.

Let me explain me again and clear it. Anyways don´t worry about misunderstanding... I don't take nothing personal anymore (or try it at my best) since I prefer to work empathy and get the best of all discussions.

As you noticed later @kobamoto was asking for something more portable but not so simple (lack of sequencer) like mpx. He pointed about thin and enough outputs etc.
    I pointed in the same direction like you about more specs usually means more weight/size" and also launched the possibility to _workflow rework (reworkflow? :trollface: ) just to see if maybe there is better way to put all these needs in another formfactor (I was pointing its difficult talking about the Roger Linn tempest concept designs he (Roger) shared before came with the final one).

Where I'm disagree as I stated in the first part of my comment (and also about yours on latte panda) is about why mpx can be more powered... it's obvious you can fit a better cpu/embed on that but obviously not delivered by latte, it should be a bigger (related to latte) to make numbers match with price point. Note aside I bought a mac mini late 2012 full spec for 400€ it has the features I expect from it but it's not so portable :wink:

Back on topic about cpu power vs thick...
    Let me put another example:

https://github.com/rasteri/SC1000

This project is based on A13 pic board (A13 Cortex-A8 ARM processor) and it's 18€ cpu.
    https://www.olimex.com/Products/SOM/A13/A13-SOM-256/

It requires more pieces of course and even some smd soldering (or wait until someone sell kits and overprice it a bit) but in materials is around 100€ aprox. Enclosure could be make it with 3D printing or even with the extra pcb material if you decide to send to fabrication. Each option has its pros/cons and cost for sure.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3283470

There is also similar projects based on raspberry pi (piDeck, piDVS) that could even be cheaper in hardware terms (but expensive in time).

Now, point me to any brand making something like this under 300€ (applying the x2.5 factor). The most similar (Casio XWdj) is iOS based. That's my point.

We don't need latte panda or almost not at these prices because over the 100€ I will go for second hand iPhone5/s which has lot of software on its own etc etc but the _true s##t is how latest iOS is wrecking even to make me consider it in that use. If I do my numbers I end going for standalone for a bit more (with less features of course) and forget about stability issues, coding, soldering or 3D printing. I want to make music for the god sake! :lol:

That Apple shift (the drama about Wall Street and its consequences) is what makes me dream about the possibility of

• Ableton (in partnership with...?)
    • NI (in partnership with A&H now they have open Traktor?)
    • inMusic (since they deal it with win8/10 and now linux boards)
    • Korg (since they opened the monotron/volca box of thunders)
    • or someone similar going for an open platform (Roland probably not, they done it in the past and failed with the VariOS so they are fitting that technology in what they call ACB/plug-out aka hardware emulation) and so on.
    • Maybe the best approach is Novation Circuit or Volca Sample.

In the other hand we have new products such Stagelight which are cross-platform and maybe the solution is going cheaper with xiaomi or similar. Let me put another example (in the same line)

the guts of the beast

and the point between them (raspi and using mobile phone as host)

This patch for mobmuplat (libpd adapted to mobiles with file system and more) can run on xiaomi (tested) and makes this project straightforward for noobs. It just require similar setup like iPhones (OTG cable etc). in fact this patch works on 5s and above so the moment 6s get under 120€ it could be a perfect host for these kind of things... but again we are in the line of standalone for just few bucks more and that let you forget about configuration or Apple updates wrecking coreAudio. For experimental purposes all of these are wonderful but for professional use it's obvious not. So I see all your points and try to bring some solutions to the table. Sometimes just info to understand why isn't possible (or profitable for brands and point to diy solutions).

This Otem Rellik box could have been the sp888 aira if Roland wanted but Roland preferred deliver Dj808 in partnership with Serato (and forget about software solutions like VariOS, MPC Reinassence or Maschine).
    NI could update its iOS apps and make Maschine Mikro Mk3 that sampler Kobamoto dreams... but, aside its own struggles, maybe iOS isn't in the best moment... they tried before with z1/s2/s4 (mk2) and Traktor app but I don't expect news soon (they left Xmas season without explain us why S2mk3 has an iOS port label on it...) etc etc etc.

Conclusions:
    I think it's something related to djing/sampling as workflow which makes this an issue and if you think twice probably you will notice the same pattern (Bm3, Beathawk, non Ableton on iOS...) it's like something struggles on this over the years (and about scratching better forget directly or one could get crazy).

My common sense says money but my knowledge say bs and my gut say focus on other areas which in the end seems why these areas thrive and digital instruments seem doomed. :lol:

• @TheDubbyLabby I understand your point. I only mentioned lattepanda because of the price point for small but powerful to handle current windows and macOS. Also because I want to get one for my open labs Dbeat 😂😂😂😂. It would still be bulky but way lighter. I wish I can find someone to cut the thickness of my dbeat to make slimmer but it won’t work without messing with the integrity of the chassis.

• Wow I forget about these Neko... the grandpa of mpc live :lol:

All of this make me think... what happened to the hardware side of @OpenLabstechsupport?

• edited January 2019

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@ToMess said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@ToMess said:

That's just what I said. It could be a market for an embed solution (or box) from one of the "bigger" brands but maybe not for akai.

I didnt say that it would be realistic for some other company either. There are cheaper ways to make money = making more money as well. Everytime you have investors, they want maximum results or will invest elsewhere. Putting at least tens or maybe hubdreds of milloins and many years in development is not ok for anyone except people like elon musk who have millions to put in fun projects

• edited January 2019

@ToMess said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@ToMess said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@ToMess said:

I didnt say that it would be realistic for some other company either. There are cheaper ways to make money = making more money as well. Everytime you have investors, they want maximum results or will invest elsewhere. Putting at least tens or maybe hubdreds of milloins and many years in development is not ok for anyone except people like elon musk who have millions to put in fun projects

Let me said it in other form... Inside Korg there was people afraid to release the monotron and its schematics. There were two different people inside the same brand. I know from the very beginning since I had some contacts inside Korg over these times. Now few years later do you believe it was a mistake or success?

If there is market for things like latte panda or Raspberry pi for music projects there is market for such embed platform as own. The question is not only money (mainly) it's also control. These brands are very shy to share schematics and so but since Arduino and Raspberry show the pros of open platforms there is space for them. In fact teenage engineeren had one (op-lab) but they aren't bigger to make it enough affordable. The same proposal from Korg could be priced between Raspi and Op-lab/latte.

https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/oplab

Even Ableton/cycling seem considering the idea from things they said at interviews.
    http://cdm.link/2017/06/exclusive-ableton-acquires-max-maker-cycling-74-inside-the-deal/
    http://cdm.link/2017/06/conversation-david-zicarelli-gerhard-behles/
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19227/ot-ableton-acquires-cycling-74 (here me being skeptical but time goes...)

Extract

Shared opportunities, beyond the desktop
    David: We’re both seeing this incredibly difficult challenge, which is the landscape of the computing devices people use for music and media is changing radically. And we can’t just count on the entire world having a laptop. At the same time, we also see this opportunity to have a bigger impact on the world, because of the computing devices getting easier to acquire, easier to use, easier to embed into new contexts. But it poses a fundamental challenge to how we conceive of what we’re doing. And we have to move from “sorry, if you don’t have a laptop we can’t help you,” to something else.
    If our technology were to go in that direction, Ableton could be a context where people can make use of it, be exposed to it, construct it. From Ableton’s side, Max has always been a thing that’s been used to prototype stuff [at Ableton]. And our hope is that if transformation into these larger, newer contexts is a big part of what needs to happen, that prototyping and prototyping via Max and what we’re working on is very valuable.
    Gerhard: What’s clear and obvious is that we both come from desktop background, and we realize that the world is much more multi-faceted now.

The question is not about the possibility, the question is when and who will nail the proposal.

:wink:

• edited January 2019

My gut says maybe Ableton will team-up with Bela since it’s the nearest platform to what I’m trying to describe and they had similar approach for musicians. The price isn’t lower than old iPhone but not so high like latte (not so powerful neither)

https://bela.iohttps//belaplatform.github.io/bela_site/about.html
    https://shop.bela.io/bela-mini

Also teensy has some interesting features but being ARM4 audio cappabilities are a bit limited.

Offtopic end. The technology is out there and make it affordable is possible if the market is ready for buy it. Maybe people like Kobamoto and I are early adopters and this concept never will go beyond the sweet spot but IMHO I can see it happen in less than 3 years.

Let’s continue with NAMM rumours...

• edited January 2019

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@ToMess said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@ToMess said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@ToMess said:

Let me said it in other form... Inside Korg there was people afraid to release the monotron and its schematics. There were two different people inside the same brand. I know from the very beginning since I had some contacts inside Korg over these times. Now few years later do you believe it was a mistake or success?

If there is market for things like latte panda or Raspberry pi for music projects there is market for such embed platform as own. The question is not only money (mainly) it's also control. These brands are very shy to share schematics and so but since Arduino and Raspberry show the pros of open platforms there is space for them. In fact teenage engineeren had one (op-lab) but they aren't bigger to make it enough affordable. The same proposal from Korg could be priced between Raspi and Op-lab/latte.

Even Ableton/cycling seem considering the idea from things they said at interviews.
    http://cdm.link/2017/06/exclusive-ableton-acquires-max-maker-cycling-74-inside-the-deal/
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19227/ot-ableton-acquires-cycling-74 (here me being skeptical but time goes...)

Extract

David: We’re both seeing this incredibly difficult challenge, which is the landscape of the computing devices people use for music and media is changing radically. And we can’t just count on the entire world having a laptop. At the same time, we also see this opportunity to have a bigger impact on the world, because of the computing devices getting easier to acquire, easier to use, easier to embed into new contexts. But it poses a fundamental challenge to how we conceive of what we’re doing. And we have to move from “sorry, if you don’t have a laptop we can’t help you,” to something else.
    If our technology were to go in that direction, Ableton could be a context where people can make use of it, be exposed to it, construct it. From Ableton’s side, Max has always been a thing that’s been used to prototype stuff [at Ableton]. And our hope is that if transformation into these larger, newer contexts is a big part of what needs to happen, that prototyping and prototyping via Max and what we’re working on is very valuable.
    Gerhard: What’s clear and obvious is that we both come from desktop background, and we realize that the world is much more multi-faceted now.

The question is not about the possibility, the question is when and who will nail the proposal.

You need to remember that these examples doesent have such high demand for cpu, gpu, dont have a battery etc. When you try to make a product thats more like a tablet(size, touch screen and internal battery in the machine), you cant just build everything around a processor similar to inside raspi, but you need to downsize EVERYTHING, including screen controller boards, connections etc etc and essentially build something like an ipad ground up. And you would need very sophisticated factory to produce these. And you would need to make shit tons of them in order to keep the production costs low enough, likely more than enough to consider building your own high tech factories.

And im not saying that you are definitely wrong, im just very sceptical ;)

edit. Perhaps buy shit loads of cheap china android tablets and fit them to controllers and upload custom software to them? :D

• @ToMess said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@ToMess said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@ToMess said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@ToMess said:

Extract

You need to remember that these examples doesent have such high demand for cpu, gpu, dont have a battery etc. When you try to make a product thats more like a tablet(size, touch screen and internal battery in the machine), you cant just build everything around a processor similar to inside raspi, but you need to downsize EVERYTHING, including screen controller boards, connections etc etc and essentially build something like an ipad ground up. And you would need very sophisticated factory to produce these. And you would need to make shit tons of them in order to keep the production costs low enough, likely more than enough to consider building your own high tech factories.

And im not saying that you are definitely wrong, im just very sceptical ;)

Well the Bela Sampler seems near enough and the OPlab complete from specs to match that middle-step Kobamoto points.
    About the tooling... that's why I point to Korg or similar (if not even bigger) and also Korg for they success with the Monotron/volca proposal. They have the tooling and even they are testing the waters with Gadget for Switch... Juce/Soul into these Linux boards seem the key for all this products. Again make them open is the hardest step but what if a project like Arduino/Bela takes that gauntlet?

As we can see all the parts we were discussing a page ago seem available and thin but once again these require money/time. To me the issue is sampler itself. I see less and less improvements or releases in this field and more notorious from non usual players like Pioneer... Call me crazy but I feel there is more room for some-kind of embed system than for a sampler itself. Maybe that is the less clear point of my argument... I'm not sure about another grid based sampler (maybe a grid based Ableton standalone like the one started all this topic) or almost not so advanced (Circuit is doing well)... IDK what's wrong but I feel a disturbance in the force field about this... maybe is the modular trend overshadowing samplers? Maybe it's the next chapter in retroemulation (and we will see the unicorn legendary ACB sampler from Roland? (it wasn't the TR8s?) IDK...

Do you (all of you) expect new samplers from this NAMM? Really? I want to believe...

Time will tell us when Akai decide to release something new but for me da real shit is the digitech trio+ I'm hyped about getting one ASAP :lol: