Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's your worst iOS 2018 app purchase?

Comments

• edited January 2019

@Iso said:

@Janosax said:
    Studiomux. So much potential, but just don’t works properly: audio-crackles land. Huge deception. I use it however with midi, works well with lower latency than rtp-midi lan over usb, so money is not totally wasted.

It's been working fine for me for over two years, with three different systems. A win 7 laptop with a Tascam interface, & two different desktops running Win 10 pro & Win 10 home respectively, with Focusrite & RME interfaces. It can be tricky to set up due to the complex nature of the app, & can be a bit of a PITA to get working, but once working it's rock solid.

I'm glad it works for you, but put me in the firm camp of long-term disappointment, here. I bought it long ago, and it worked sporadically until the last year or so and then it was largely abandoned (i understand the dev's other projects are more lucrative, i'm sure). If I'd have bought studiomux this year, it would absolutely be my worst plugin of the year, as opposed to one of the most disappointing ones i've ever paid for, since it had so much promise, only to end in complete and utter dismay. The server won't even load on my rock solid win10 pro pc (absolutely anything and everything else i've ever used has never had a problem).

As for the other things I've purchased.... well.. i haven't even gotten around to using all of them. Like Spacecraft. Opened it once, said "huh... guess i'll figure it out someday" and then haven't gone back. Yet. So ask me again next year :D

EDIT: OK, I can say that my worst purchases are the ones I would totally have made but couldn't, because the developers didn't release a universal app. Quite a sad list, actually.

• @Samu said:

@MAtrixplan said:
    I'm curious which thread will gather more posts - this about worst apps, or with best ios apps in 2018 :)

Don't know, maybe a new topic would cause even more discussions and hits...

Apps of 2018 - The Good, The Bad & The WTF's :)

hahaha I did ponder starting a Best near miss of 2018...Apps you're glad you didn't buy...but then thought better of it :D

• Can't recall any 2018 worst purchases for me. But in the long run it would be iMPC, iMPC for iPhone and iMPC Pro :lol:
    Just couldn't get along with them at all...

• edited January 2019

@vitocorleone123 said:

@Iso said:

@Janosax said:
    Studiomux. So much potential, but just don’t works properly: audio-crackles land. Huge deception. I use it however with midi, works well with lower latency than rtp-midi lan over usb, so money is not totally wasted.

It's been working fine for me for over two years, with three different systems. A win 7 laptop with a Tascam interface, & two different desktops running Win 10 pro & Win 10 home respectively, with Focusrite & RME interfaces. It can be tricky to set up due to the complex nature of the app, & can be a bit of a PITA to get working, but once working it's rock solid.

I'm glad it works for you, but put me in the firm camp of long-term disappointment, here. I bought it long ago, and it worked sporadically until the last year or so and then it was largely abandoned (i understand the dev's other projects are more lucrative, i'm sure). If I'd have bought studiomux this year, it would absolutely be my worst plugin of the year, as opposed to one of the most disappointing ones i've ever paid for, since it had so much promise, only to end in complete and utter dismay. The server won't even load on my rock solid win10 pro pc (absolutely anything and everything else i've ever used has never had a problem).

Such a shame that you can't seem to get it to work. When working, it's great. I don't do anything on ios these days without it being streamed directly into Ableton via Studiomux .
    One small point though, and we have discussed this before, ( and just for the record!) Studiomux was completely updated just over twelve months ago, so hardly "abandoned", and yes they have been working hard on other stuff, but surely, that's a good thing?
    Anyway, here's hoping 2019 brings you huge inspiration & the muse is kind!
    P.S. Get Spacecraft out and play with it, you owe it to yourself! :)

• @WillieNegus said:
    🌾👀🍿🌾

I know right 😂😂😂😂.

• wimwim
    edited January 2019

None. I am thankful for and impressed by each and every purchase I’ve made. No lie.

• @dendy said:
    stuff

It is completely true, nothing to do with your "sarcasm" you acted like a total idiot and Matt had to apologise for you, now you think it is fun to disrespect people who pointed out you acted like an idiot, sad behaviour again.

• @83185f1a said:
    FLUX:FX
    So much potential yet completely useless.
    Instead of complaining to Apple and getting my money back, I emailed the developer, the publisher, as well as the balding guitar guy promoting it, didn't get a single response from either of them.
    Not too sorry though, 'cause I just know I'll get a chance to kick some of these people in the nuts one day and at least I've got something to look forward to. Talk about flux...

Maybe, abandonware

• edited January 2019

The upside of bad apps is - they make us realize the value and worth of the good ones :smile: and how fortunate it is for the good ones to exist and also for us to own them on our devices :smiley:

If every app was good, that would be a total confusion and chaos :neutral:

• @MobileMusic said:
    The upside of bad apps is - they make us realize the value and worth of the good ones :smile: and how fortunate it is for the good ones to exist and also for us to own them on our devices :smiley:

If every app was good, that would be a total confusion and chaos :neutral:

I shy away from apps that don't have the basic essentials for my workflow - Legato, Glide, Vibrato and AU.
    Every synth/FX worth its salt should support these.

• @Turntablist said:

@dendy said:
    stuff

It is completely true, nothing to do with your "sarcasm" you acted like a total idiot and Matt had to apologise for you, now you think it is fun to disrespect people who pointed out you acted like an idiot, sad behaviour again.

Where did he disrespect people who pointed out you acted like an idiot? He apologized if he upset anyone.

This whole “NS2 beta team bash” is getting old. I could do the same for a couple other apps and their beta guys here, but it’s kinda pointless. People like what they like and will defend it. If they compare it to other things they’ve used, then it’s an opinion, which this forum is full of. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt on a forum regardless. If someone calls your baby ugly and they are wrong about actual functionallity and not an opinion, then a “sorry, that’s not how it works. It works like this, blah blah blah” will suffice and move on. Somebody saying “this works waaaaay better than that” is an opinion. So what? This witch hunt is tiresome.

• Any ‘worst’ thread is always going to go south, cause bickering, and end up offending. Always.

• @dendy said:

@LeeB said:

@Turntablist said:
    Seriously, one of the testers was going all over the place to different forums and chats to blast every other app, that was before the release too, so lets not pretend it was “Those pesky paying customers”
    Sidenote, I have nothing but huge regard for Matt, genuine gentleman, Blip testers I would be happy to neverhear from again.

🙄

This is probably about me, i was thinking for a while if i should do any reaction on this or not. But ok, we are in shit-thread, so let's spread shit :lol: Plus i think there is a LOT of misunderstandings maybe caused my poor english, maybe by may strong sense for sarcasm and irony - BUT i'm always trying just to be helpful and to spread my knowledge to those who wants it.
    Maybe if you guys know me personally you would change your opionion, but ok, i can't change this. And i probably don't want to invest any energy into changing it, because it doesn't really matter, most probably we stay to rest of our life just anonymous avatars on some random forum.

@Turntablist said:
    Seriously, one of the testers was going all over the place to different forums and chats to blast every other app

This is not truth. I respect all other apps. I like lot other apps. I used them a lot. For example i used BM2 for many tracks (some of them officialy released, other just on my SC/Bandcamp) and still when i need work with long audio recordings, i use BM2 because it is great for this purpose - it's my audio tracks recording DAW of choice on iOS. ( At least until there is not audio tracks in NS2 :)

I expressed my negative experience with BM3 - as a paying customer i have full rights to say that BM3 was big dissapointment for me - especially when i'm asking about opinion about this app. I don't think there is anything wrong about it.

At the end - it's completely right topic in this thread, so i can say without fear that this was for me biggest dissapointment of 2018 - i actually bought app, refunded it but then bought it again to give it one more chance. I do not like it not because it is different from NS2, but because it is different from BM2 !!). U used a lot of DAWs on desktop / iOS, it's my personal rule to do at least one complete track in each DAW i try - i managed to do this with ALL DAWS (or to be exact all apps, i started with trackers which weren't really "daw" :)) i ever tried for 25 years making music. Just with BM3 i failed :lol:

Again - i'm not saying it is bad app, i'm just saying that i miss a lot features which were/are crucial for my workflow in BM2 and i completely don't like it's architecture. It's not app for me. Still like BM2 !
    But i'm not gonna flood BM3 forums with tons of requests (which somebody suggested to me) - just because i undestand it is not problen of app, which is awesome for some people, it is just me, my workflow.

I had some conflicts with one particular person who spreaded obvious lies and missinformations about NS2 on Facebook iPad musician and in unofficial dischord NS2 group. That's all. Now i understand i was wasting my and his time, and trying to avoid such arguements until i'm not explicitly mentioned or asked for something. I learned my lesson.

I was also trying to explain some early users on NS forums who requested some features, which were to my knowledge in very contradiction with Matt's plans about app and they probably got me wrong - i'm sorry for that, again probably my wrong english or sense of sarcasm. I never insulte anybody for his opinion. i learned that people not always get correctly my sarcasm / irony, i understand now that we all come from different social / nation conditions and what is funny for one can be dead-insult for other. I'm now trying to avoid it until i'm not pretty much sure i'm discussing with somebody who is able withstand this stuff ..

I said it already - if somebody feels insulted by something i wrote, i'm sorry for that. It was not intentional

I'm not sure what the criticism is but, if you care about such things, sarcasm is risky with people you don't know. Some members of forums like this are going to be very sensitive, even looking for a reason to be insulted. I wouldn't call them drama queens, because that would be insensitive of me. :)

If I got it right, you volunteered to beta-test an app? You contributed to its availability, to its stability, and for the benefit of many happily using the app today? You hang out on forums helping people and answering their questions? If so, I'd just like to say, thank you.

• edited January 2019

@gusgranite if i don't feel offended in any way, then it isn't really offending, i suppose :lol:

@drez let it be ;) doesn't matter ;)

• @dendy said:
    @gusgranite if i don't feel offended in any way, then it isn't really offending, i suppose :lol:

I’m talking about the thread. I would rather see constructive criticism given to developers rather than a world’s worst step (I used to love that part of Who’s Line Is It Anyway).

I was the one who raised the NS2 forum being a bit unwelcoming to newcomers initially (it was) but the developer dealt with it and I’m sure it’s been great since.

• edited January 2019

For me, the Ravenscroft 275 was a huge bummer buy. Probably the most expensive app I’ve ever bought, but my humble iPad Air 1 just can’t handle it. I eventually deleted it to free up space.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    For me, the Ravenscroft 275 was a huge bummer buy. Probably the most expensive app I’ve ever bought for, but my humble iPad Air 1 just can’t handle it. I eventually deleted it to free up space.

Think of it as a future investment. If you upgrade devices it will be waiting for you. It’s actually a very expressive virtual instrument thanks to its sympathetic resonance.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    For me, the Ravenscroft 275 was a huge bummer buy. Probably the most expensive app I’ve ever bought for, but my humble iPad Air 1 just can’t handle it. I eventually deleted it to free up space.

that is strange, it works without issues on my Air 1

• @Lady_App_titude said:

I hope you can get a more powerful iPad at some point. RC275 is really great but it pushes the envelope for an iPad app with disk streaming and some great sampling details.

Colossus Gand Piano is even more of a beast requiring the newer iPads to work. Even with a 2GB 2018 iPad I can't record it a DAW... it forces the DAW to crash the AU instrument instance even when running solo.

• @dendy said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

that is strange, it works without issues on my Air 1

If that's true look at the settings to reduce CPU use like buffering.
    Ping the developer for tips or just refund and revisit when it makes sense for the money spent.

• Riffer.

Because it turns out randomness ain’t musical. Probably should have figured that out before purchase, but people said such nice things about it.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

Think of it as a future investment. If you upgrade devices it will be waiting for you. It’s actually a very expressive virtual instrument thanks to its sympathetic resonance.

Do you think Ravenscroft is the pinnacle of iOS pianos? Seems to be, from what I keep reading on the forum. I think it ranked highest on the poll here, at least for iOS piano apps.

• @CracklePot said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

Do you think Ravenscroft is the pinnacle of iOS pianos? Seems to be, from what I keep reading on the forum. I think it ranked highest on the poll here, at least for iOS piano apps.

I like Korgs Ivory and Model D in equal measure but yeah the Ravenscroft Piano feels the most natural sounding, least like a sampled instrument. Has more in the bottom end or timbre.

• edited January 2019

Miroslav and oriental strings. Just genuinely appalling, both. The hype around miroslav vs quality is the biggest cognitive dissonance I’ve come across with an app. Sounds like it’s being played through a blackbirds rectum. Oriental strings... just, wut... western strings, that sound completely western, being played horribly with oafishly blunt attack. Occasionally sounds vaguely reminiscent of a very crude imitation of a Lawrence of Arabia soundtrack or something, that kind of garish sixties film score thing. The pub curry of eastern flavour. We’re te first to go when I needed to clear space

• @wingwizard said:
    Miroslav and oriental strings. Just genuinely appalling, both. The hype around miroslav vs quality is the biggest cognitive dissonance I’ve come across with an app. Sounds like it’s being played through a blackbirds rectum. Oriental strings... just, wut... western strings, that sound completely western, being played horribly with oafishly blunt attack. Occasionally sounds vaguely reminiscent of a very crude imitation of a Lawrence of Arabia soundtrack or something, that kind of garish sixties film score thing

I can completely second that. But I purchased Oriental strings in 17 so it does not qualify. Deleted.

Worst purchase of 18: Sampletank, with Miroslav as an IAP. The UI is extremely annoying for me. I just have no idea how to use it in a productive way or how to have fun with it. Deleted.

Worst purchase of 19 so far: Aphelian. I fell for the hype. It feels like a very well done app, but is completely unsinspiring for me. Won‘t give up on it so quickly, but I really don‘t see where the fun will be coming from.

• This thread doesn't live up to its title. Way too civilised.

Fight, fight, fight!

• @Turntablist said:

@dendy said:
    stuff

Matt had to apologise for you, now you think it is fun to disrespect people who pointed out you acted like an idiot, sad behaviour again.

When I saw this post from Matt in the NS forums, I felt too bad about Matt.

When the creator of the one app has to apologize because the betatesters opinions start to bother others users....well, I don’t know what to say.

NS is a gem on iOS, the only app that I use everyday but it’s not perfect and the users encourage to Matt to the follow updates.

• Music related there is only iSymphonic and Model D in my account for 2018.
    So when Model D is my best 2018 purchase, iSymphonic is the worst. But it‘s good as well. A bit too limited and focused too much on IAP to get what i would like.
    Oh man, just 2 apps in a year for music. Saturation strikes. (not counting a few apps i gifted away).

• @dendy said:

I expressed my negative experience with BM3 - as a paying customer i have full rights to say that BM3 was big dissapointment for me - especially when i'm asking about opinion about this app. I don't think there is anything wrong about it.

I think this is the main reason why Turnatbalist is so agressive towards you : he is most obviously the 5pinlink from BM3 forum, and he just can't accept contradiction. Everybody knows how he can be harsh with other people.
    Don't worry dendy, you've been a great help for everybody discovering NS2, keep it going !

• @lovadamusic @Sygma

thanks for kind words guys ! I'm doing my best to help people, it's nice to hear it it appreciated :)