Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's your best iOS 2018 app purchase?

Comments

• Great discussion. I bought Cubasis 2, and all the iap’s, last year and for me it really sparked my creativity and I finally spent more time creating music.

• Late to the party, but, Nanostudio 2 changes everything!
    Runner-up: Kleverb from Swedish company Klevgr...

• @klownshed said:
    Ruismaker Noire for me as it’s totally unlike anything I’ve had before. I’ve been working on a tune I started decades ago (no exaggeration!) building it up on a noire loop I made on my phone. Great stuff.

It’s be even better if I could work out how to get pitched sounds with it more easily, Ive been tuning the loops in logic to make them sit better. It makes awesome bass sounds, I think I may be missing something about getting them in pitch!?

That aside, it’s a brilliant app. I love the new influx of simple, focussed instruments. Auv3 has been a game changer for me.

I love the atonal bendy pitchy trippiness. For me that is what Noir is all about.

• Audiobus v 3.3

• edited January 2019

@klownshed said:
    Ruismaker Noire for me as it’s totally unlike anything I’ve had before. I’ve been working on a tune I started decades ago (no exaggeration!) building it up on a noire loop I made on my phone. Great stuff.

It’s be even better if I could work out how to get pitched sounds with it more easily, Ive been tuning the loops in logic to make them sit better. It makes awesome bass sounds, I think I may be missing something about getting them in pitch!?

That aside, it’s a brilliant app. I love the new influx of simple, focussed instruments. Auv3 has been a game changer for me.

Quick tip don’t use the built in sequencer in Noir. Use another midi generating app and use Nior as a sound source.

For instance
    Roseta Collider -> NOIR
    Or
    Roseta -> Roseta Scalar -> NOIR for definitive semitone control.

This also gives you more options for timing as well.

Frenetic Demo

• Gesturment Pro though I’ve yet come to constructive (measured by song output) grips with it.

Measured by freaky fun Loopseque

By beatmaking Patterning

By every goddamn day use @brambo (all of him) next would be Autony.

• Oh yeah: original topic...
    ApeMatrix. Seems to be my starting point for everything at the moment, despite it's shortcomings. Just wish there was some way of nesting AUv3s.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@rs2000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    The same app gets both my best and worst app purchase...... Moog Model D !!

Best because - It's a Moog Model D and sounds amazing (and doesn't suffer the same issues as the 'other' Model D app)
    Worst because - I'm on an Air 2 and it won't handle much more when running a Model D instance (and I want to use lots)

Viking for $2 is a hell of a deal!

Is there a problem with saving presets in Cubasis or something? Still quite a deal.

• No issues afaik with Viking. A few AU hosts don't show plugin presets (BM3, iMPC Pro 2)...but it's about the easiest synth to program and save it as a BM3 preset. You can see the presets in Garageband, Cubasis, AB, AUM...
    Switching the filter circuit to Linear cuts the CPU usage in half.

• @ocelot said:
    No issues afaik with Viking. A few AU hosts don't show plugin presets (BM3, iMPC Pro 2)...but it's about the easiest synth to program and save it as a BM3 preset. You can see the presets in Garageband, Cubasis, AB, AUM...
    Switching the filter circuit to Linear cuts the CPU usage in half.

Thanks. Purchased and it’s quite versatile.

• @supadom said:
    Audiobus v 3.3

My guess is that you are making more of it than many of us...

• edited January 2019

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:
    Audiobus v 3.3

Not entirely as I’ve been away since it came out but the feature set that I’ve been asking for since as long as I can remember has finally materialised.

Step 1: Press a button to load a session

Step 2: Press start

Rinse and repeat.

That’s all

It truly makes a lot of difference when playing live and completely overshadows everything that has happened with iOS in the last few months as far as I’m concerned.

I’m actually quite surprised that this isn’t making any waves in the community. No tutorial videos, no endless threads etc. I guess I’m partly to blame for this.

Not that we owe anything to the guy up there but I just find it rather bizarre. Maybe not many people do ‘live’ these days, can’t tell.

• edited January 2019

Grand finale. Really useful for finishing up tracks

Also can't wait for nanostudio 2 for iPhone so it might actually be my favorite once I get my grubby little hands on it

• @supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:
    Audiobus v 3.3

Not entirely as I’ve been away since it came out but the feature set that I’ve been asking for since as long as I can remember has finally materialised.

Rinse and repeat.

That’s all

It truly makes a lot of difference when playing live and completely overshadows everything that has happened with iOS in the last few months as far as I’m concerned.

I’m actually quite surprised that this isn’t making any waves in the community. No tutorial videos, no endless threads etc. I guess I’m partly to blame for this.

Not that we owe anything to the guy up there but I just find it rather bizarre. Maybe not many people do ‘live’ these days, can’t tell.

It is truly mystifying to me how this is flying so low on the radar. This is a true game changer for anyone who uses iOS live or has thought about it. Maybe the folks who play live don't have time to post or make videos?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:
    Audiobus v 3.3

Rinse and repeat.

That’s all

It is truly mystifying to me how this is flying so low on the radar. This is a true game changer for anyone who uses iOS live or has thought about it. Maybe the folks who play live don't have time to post or make videos?

Would love to see a vid.

Hafta to say I DON'T pay live and therefore etc etc...

• I need to figure out how to do a video.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I need to figure out how to do a video.

Yes you do. Yes, yes. We are patient. Hungry. Hopeful etc. Yes.

• Aparillo and all the 4pockets AUv3's

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:
    Audiobus v 3.3

Rinse and repeat.

That’s all

Would love to see a vid.

You're just a video junkie. That's it!

Screeeeen Time!!

• @JohnnyGoodyear of course it doesn't need to be 'in front of people' kind of live. Home jamming folk could very much be the target audience too.

The hardware (controller) integration makes it a closer experience to actual hardware operation (*). Rather than swiping pages you press the button to foreground a particular app within the preset. Of course that assumes that you have enough buttons to assign all these functions to!

Buttons buttons buttons

*of course you know all this already.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:
    Audiobus v 3.3

Rinse and repeat.

That’s all

Would love to see a vid.

I gave up trying to do a Live set with iOS due to Link/Autosave changing the tempo in my projects when I didn't want it to. Glad to hear that AB 3.3 is working for you, I do need to delve into this again but have been concentrating on other things recently.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:
    Audiobus v 3.3

Rinse and repeat.

That’s all

Would love to see a vid.

I gave up trying to do a Live set with iOS due to Link/Autosave changing the tempo in my projects when I didn't want it to. Glad to hear that AB 3.3 is working for you, I do need to delve into this again but have been concentrating on other things recently.

I've been pondering the link question this morning. The only thing that makes me use it is the fact that AUM (which I use in combo with AB) doesn't slave to midi sync and for Link's presumed better stability.

I'm about to delve back into it all.

• @supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:
    Audiobus v 3.3

Rinse and repeat.

That’s all

Would love to see a vid.

I've been pondering the link question this morning. The only thing that makes me use it is the fact that AUM (which I use in combo with AB) doesn't slave to midi sync and for Link's presumed better stability.

I'm about to delve back into it all.

Definitely interested in how you get on, one of those things that drove me so mad I chose to forget about it and ignore it....

Tie this around your waist and give it 2 tugs when your ready to be hauled back out :D

• Stagelight

• I'll go with AudioLayer. Like AB3.3 it's not as sexy as, say, SpaceCraft. But it has become a key piece of my workflow. The secret sauce is that it works as an effect so it's easy to resample anything. And this is the trick for making everything stable for my setup. Once I get to a plate of spaghetti that risks instability, I just "print to tape" in AudioLayer and keep chugging. I also use it as a rompler but it's laborious until AL supports SFZ.

I suspect the upcoming Enso from Audio Damage will fill a similar need (but close the loop with an actual looping facility). For one shots, AudioLayer has become indispensable to me. Twas a great year for iOS apps!

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I'll go with AudioLayer. Like AB3.3 it's not as sexy as, say, SpaceCraft. But it has become a key piece of my workflow. The secret sauce is that it works as an effect so it's easy to resample anything. And this is the trick for making everything stable for my setup. Once I get to a plate of spaghetti that risks instability, I just "print to tape" in AudioLayer and keep chugging. I also use it as a rompler but it's laborious until AL supports SFZ.

I suspect the upcoming Enso from Audio Damage will fill a similar need (but close the loop with an actual looping facility). For one shots, AudioLayer has become indispensable to me. Twas a great year for iOS apps!

It really IS a matter of either figuring out or stumbling on to things that click for you. Never even opened AudioLayer....so many snacks and treats, so little time.... :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

It really IS a matter of either figuring out or stumbling on to things that click for you. Never even opened AudioLayer....so many snacks and treats, so little time.... :)

So true. I’ve bought so many apps in the past few years that I’ve never really given a fair shake to because of that “so little time”. I think I’ve figured out just enough of some of them to keep me going. Unfortunately it also keeps me spending more and more money on apps that I don’t give a fair shake to. It’s a vicious circle.

• @Philh0954 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

So true. I’ve bought so many apps in the past few years that I’ve never really given a fair shake to because of that “so little time”. I think I’ve figured out just enough of some of them to keep me going. Unfortunately it also keeps me spending more and more money on apps that I don’t give a fair shake to. It’s a vicious circle.

Which is why we meet on Thursday night down in the cellar etc etc :)

I have to add that I have become something of an NS2 head, so this is helping frame my experiments somewhat (what do you mean D1 isn't AU yet?!). Overall this has helped to bring some focus which is a resolution that's held up well for seven days at least (pretty much a record :) ).....

Quick tip don’t use the built in sequencer in Noir. Use another midi generating app and use Nior as a sound source.

For instance
    Roseta Collider -> NOIR
    Or
    Roseta -> Roseta Scalar -> NOIR for definitive semitone control.

This also gives you more options for timing as well

Thanks. I’ve tried with a standard midi input from GarageBand but didn’t get any meaningful control over pitch, but haven’t used Roseta. I may have to pick up a copy.

• @AudioGus said:

I love the atonal bendy pitchy trippiness. For me that is what Noir is all about.

Yeah I get that. It’s why I bought it. I clearly like Noire as I said it was my favourite iOS purchase of the year.

However, in the track I was working on you could clearly hear the pitch of the Noire loop and it didn’t sit in my track until it was tuned to the right pitch. I’m cool with Atonal but some of the loops I’ve made with Noire have a clear tone. Once they’re no longer atonal they need to be in tune with the rest of the track for me.

It’s no issue at all to tune the loop in Logic but it got me thinking that having a chromatic pitch component to Noire (maybe a toggle that allows chromatic playing for a specific patch) would be cool and would open up all sorts of creative potential. Perhaps it wouldn’t work without losing what makes Noire Noire, but it was just a thought.

It doesn’t stop me loving Noire as it is.