Steinberg UR22mk2 Difficulties/ it may be in the connections, however

Hi, well the first snafu of the new year at least is hardware and not the beleaguered iOS platform. My UR22 started to function weirdly. After a handful of successes recording my MP11's onboard voices into Cubasis I started getting a really echoey piano sound. No settings had been changed. When I checked the audio ins on the front panel I discovered the first input of the left registered a signal on the CB mixer but the second, right input, did not. I switched cables a few ways. No problem with the cables. Strangely, tho the second input does not register signal ( I just get a solid blue unwavering bar about 10% up the meter) the UR22 input, tho not registering a signal will trip the red led peak light. I am not having any difficulties with iOS apps function r sound quality,
Any thoughts as to what is happening? Is the left input a mic input and the right a straight line input or vice versa? Could that be the problem? And why the alteration in the Kawai piano patches? Oddly the bass patch sounds ok. Signed Mystified

Comments

  • There is a firmware update needed if you've never applied it.

  • @LinearLineman said:
    Hi, well the first snafu of the new year at least is hardware and not the beleaguered iOS platform. My UR22 started to function weirdly. After a handful of successes recording my MP11's onboard voices into Cubasis I started getting a really echoey piano sound. No settings had been changed. When I checked the audio ins on the front panel I discovered the first input of the left registered a signal on the CB mixer but the second, right input, did not. I switched cables a few ways. No problem with the cables. Strangely, tho the second input does not register signal ( I just get a solid blue unwavering bar about 10% up the meter) the UR22 input, tho not registering a signal will trip the red led peak light. I am not having any difficulties with iOS apps function r sound quality,
    Any thoughts as to what is happening? Is the left input a mic input and the right a straight line input or vice versa? Could that be the problem? And why the alteration in the Kawai piano patches? Oddly the bass patch sounds ok. Signed Mystified

    I'll bet the issue is in the Cubasis audio settings.

    Try a new project and see what the default audio settings do to this issue.

    It's highly unlikely a firmware update on the Kawaii has anything to do with this change in IOS recording sound. It's also quite likely the Kawaii's firmware update will require a desktop/laptop computer so you may not have the required tool for the update anyway but I believe in installing updates on products when they are known to resolve a problem you know you have. If the Kawaii is the source of the problem then something on the Kawaii would have had to change very recently. Do you hear any echo from the Kawaii using headphones or when directly connected to the speakers removing IOS from the troubleshooting exercise? If not then focus on the IOS end of the problem.

    It's like some setting or FX (turn those off) in Cubasis. Start with a clean signal and record into a Cubasis audio track in a new project. That should come out clean. If not we'll get advice to proceed. Share a recording in SoundCloud and that might trigger some more advice.

  • Firmware update for the interface...

  • Please share any change you might have made recently:

    Did you unplug any cables and re-plug them?
    Move the whole setup across the room?
    Buy new cables to replace the old ones?
    Any changes in the last few days will be pertinent to troubleshooting. When something changes it's either related to something you did (cabling, Cubasis choices, UR22mkII button pushes) or the dreaded hardware failure.

    Do you own anyone other DAW's? Garageband is free and could be used to A-B compare the recordings to see if the issue is in the DAW or IOS vs the external equipment.

  • Thanks, @McDtracy @BroCoast @receder, I don't think a firmware update is the answer as I have made successful recording previously. I will go to the store tomorrow and have them check it out. I have neither made any changes recently.
    Pertinent is that I interchanged the two mic cable inputs and still had a dead channel.

  • edited January 2

    @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks, @McDtracy @BroCoast @receder, I don't think a firmware update is the answer as I have made successful recording previously. I will go to the store tomorrow and have them check it out. I have neither made any changes recently.
    Pertinent is that I interchanged the two mic cable inputs and still had a dead channel.

    Have you recently updated iOS or Cubasis? If so, a firmware update could be the answer.

    I had an audio issue with AUM beta but not AUM AppStore and my iRig Pro IO. In first analysis AUM beta could had the issue but no, there was an iRig firmware update available for some iOS12 issues and it has fixed all my problems.

  • Thanks, @Janosax. No recent updates on iOS. CB did update recently. Perhaps @LFS will respond with some ideas. Lars has solved a lot of problems for me in the past,

  • @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks, @Janosax. No recent updates on iOS. CB did update recently. Perhaps @LFS will respond with some ideas. Lars has solved a lot of problems for me in the past,

    If you haven’t done so, contact their support folks directly. It is likely to get a more timely response than waiting for Lars to check in.

  • @LinearLineman said:
    Pertinent is that I interchanged the two mic cable inputs and still had a dead channel.

    That does sound like a UR22mkII problem. Good luck at the store. I'm glad you have that as a resource. Retailers are dropping like flies due to Amazon getting more and more business.

  • LFSLFS
    edited January 15

    Hi @LinearLineman,

    Given your PM, the issue has been solved in the meantime, correct?

    Best,
    Lars

  • I think he took it back to the store and it's been fixed.

  • Hi @LFS, I am still having problems but I don't think it is the UR.
    Getting the onboard Kawai sounds into CB is just not consistent. It is somewhere in the connections, I believe, as when I replug and then turn the Kawai off and back on everything eventually restores. Frustrating but overcomable.

Sign In or Register to comment.