Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dirtying up the drums while mixing? (Update: Reamp is amazing)

I’d like something to tastefully dirty up the drums a bit / take the clean sparkle out of them, not smash them, but just to push them back in the mix a bit without just putting a filter on them. Know what I’m sayin? This sort of stuff was always counterintuitive to me, dirtying things up, but I know for mixing it is good for me, like eating my vegetables.

Any recommendations / advice for this sort of thing?

Comments

• I know it's a filter but RX-950 with the brilliance turned down is my first go to.

• @gusgranite said:
    I know it's a filter but RX-950 with the brilliance turned down is my first go to.

Ahh ok, cool, Hmm I suppose I should have said without just putting an LP filter on it.

• @AudioGus said:

@gusgranite said:
    I know it's a filter but RX-950 with the brilliance turned down is my first go to.

Ahh ok, cool, Hmm I suppose I should have said without just putting an LP filter on it.

Nah, you did say no filter. I just ignored you :joy:

Interested to see what others do with their drumz

• I always get the best results in dirtying drums by using busses. For one lets me gain stage it more easily, what wirh keeping the dirt mix at a lower percent. Plus, I often put a band pass filter on the bus and move the center frequency around to taste. That way you arent overly accentuating highs that can get harsh, but youre leaving alone the original highs on the main track too.

• @Multicellular said:
    I always get the best results in dirtying drums by using busses. For one lets me gain stage it more easily, what wirh keeping the dirt mix at a lower percent. Plus, I often put a band pass filter on the bus and move the center frequency around to taste. That way you arent overly accentuating highs that can get harsh, but youre leaving alone the original highs on the main track too.

Ahh, makes sense! Any particular uhh... Dirty-er?

• edited December 2018

+1 for busses. RX950 works well, as Lo-Fly Dirt, AD Grind distortion or even Replicant 2 and Ratshack, Filterstation 2, there is also Blamsoft Resampler and Electrogene. When using busses it’s also nice to use some compression on both sender and return, if possible both being on a same bus. That helps gluing things. Woodpressor or Maxima are nice for that.

1. Rx950
    2. Lo-fly dirt

Try the free Rough Rider compressor also.

• Aww, Lo-fly dirt looks adorable. :)

• Probably some combination of distortion, compression, bit-crushing, tape saturation, and yes maybe a wee bit o’ filtering. Audio Damage effects are well named, artfully damaging that is! Especially Grind. A tiny bit of RM-1 perhaps?

• I like to send them through an Amp Sim. Mixture of compression, filtering and god knows what else.

• edited December 2018

Klevgr ReAmp looks nice and expensive.

PS. iTunes Xmas card burning a hole in my stocking.

• @AudioGus said:
    Klevgr ReAmp looks nice and expensive.

PS. iTunes Xmas card burning a hole in my stocking.

Ooh yeah, it's goood

• @AudioGus said:

@Multicellular said:
    I always get the best results in dirtying drums by using busses. For one lets me gain stage it more easily, what wirh keeping the dirt mix at a lower percent. Plus, I often put a band pass filter on the bus and move the center frequency around to taste. That way you arent overly accentuating highs that can get harsh, but youre leaving alone the original highs on the main track too.

Ahh, makes sense! Any particular uhh... Dirty-er?

I don't do this on iOS, so I am not sure here. I have used quite an array outside that though from mic preamps, guitar pedals, to plugins on desktop.

• Electrogene - it has bitcrush, saturation and lo/hi pass filter and a modulation dial

• Sugar Bytes Wow Filter isn’t AUV3 (yet), but adds some grit especially with the drive cranked. It’s on sale ATM too!

Anyone try Moebius Lab for that? I missed the BF sale, and I’m about to bite the bullet on it. Looks wild. 200 LFOs. But what if i need moar? 😅

• FabFilter saturn!

• P.S.: in a bus!

• @audiogus: mixing in a slightly bit-crushed version of the drums can dirty things up.

I imagine that something like the DDMF could help one bring down the level of the drums without their being lost in the mix by moving some frequencies “out of the way” allowing them to be present without clogging up the mix.

• Glad you asked this @AudioGus - am noting all these suggestions B)

• Speaking of Moebius Lab, here’s Doug dirtying up drum loops six ways from Sunday, and much more. Heck, I should just buy it from his link in the video. I can’t wait til next Black Friday. 😝

• @haulin_notes FYI Apple killed their affiliate program a few months ago, those links don’t earn commission anymore unfortunately.

• @1nsomniak said:
    @haulin_notes FYI Apple killed their affiliate program a few months ago, those links don’t earn commission anymore unfortunately.

Well that kinda stinks. Will fight the urge to make a rotten apple 🐛🍏 joke... since my ipad is listening to and watching everything i do. (though it’s probably dying of boredom and sick of synthesizers)

• Lots of flavors, AU automation, low cpu, easy. Some of the algos sound very 'warm', faster than tweaking Grind for subtle and warm drive.

https://k-devices.com/products/ios-shaper/
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/shaper-smart-audio-destroyer/id1151339601?mt=8

I usually bus out the kick and snare and treat them seperately.

• @AudioGus Klevgrand’s Degrader has been in heavy use here exactly for said purpose of coloring the beats. It’s Really good.

• For a start, I find the onboard channel strip in Cubasis quite useful.

• @ocelot said:
    Lots of flavors, AU automation, low cpu, easy. Some of the algos sound very 'warm', faster than tweaking Grind for subtle and warm drive.

https://k-devices.com/products/ios-shaper/
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/shaper-smart-audio-destroyer/id1151339601?mt=8

I usually bus out the kick and snare and treat them seperately.

Thanks for the info on Shaper. On sale til tomorrow for $2.99 as well. Good deal! 👍

• @Proppa said:
    @AudioGus Klevgrand’s Degrader has been in heavy use here exactly for said purpose of coloring the beats. It’s Really good.

True good plugin but I cannot see any internal preset storing for Klevgrand plugins when used in other hosts and Bm3 does not save Au presets - Does anyone knows if the Klevgrand plugins have internal preset storing?

• @stormbeats said:

@Proppa said:
    @AudioGus Klevgrand’s Degrader has been in heavy use here exactly for said purpose of coloring the beats. It’s Really good.

True good plugin but I cannot see any internal preset storing for Klevgrand plugins when used in other hosts and Bm3 does not save Au presets - Does anyone knows if the Klevgrand plugins have internal preset storing?

Love Klev but I’ve been pulling my hair out over this. I find sweet spots in Kleverb and have to take screenshots to do it again. Bullshit.😩🤦🏾‍♂️

• I got the degraded from Klevgr and I like it a lot. Without destroying the bits you fire up the saturation and turn down the output a bit. Voila dirtyier drums ;)

• Over compress New York style, favour the dry.