Klimper

Anyone using this ?
Looks pretty cool and useful

Comments

• I use Klimper and I like it. It works well for sketching out song structures.

• Build a chord progression I like
    • Add some key elements (usually a bass line, invert chords, maybe melody if I hear it)
    • Link chords to create a section, name and colour it
    • Repeat until I’ve got all the sections/progressions I need
    • Zoom out, duplicate sections as required, arrange into a ‘song’
    • Zoom back in and add melodic elements. Root notes and chords are highlighted, which is helpful.
    • At this point, I’ll duplicate sections again, replacing later sections where I want the same melodic bits. I don’t think there’s any way to link sections so that changes in one are reflected in the other.
    • When I’m happy with the overall sketch, export midi (to NS2 lately) and build a track around it.

I have a tendency to build a lot of 8 bar loops with no plan for the bigger picture. Klimper helps me to plan that bigger picture.
    The piano roll is adequate but basic, zooming in and out gets a bit awkward. I don’t usually bother with AU or IAA instruments until I get the midi into a DAW.

• @TheMediocritist or anyone else, when building chord progressions, can you include chords from multiple scales or are you limited to a single scale?

• @ecamburn said:
    @TheMediocritist or anyone else, when building chord progressions, can you include chords from multiple scales or are you limited to a single scale?

No. If you change scale, the existing chord progression changes to match.
    So, single scale.

• I’ve had a noodle with this while waiting at the A&E (Hours) and have to say that I don’t think I’ll be using it. All this app does is suggesting the most obvious chords. In fact what I liked the most were the chords that the app deemed least harmonically suitable! Maybe I’m just weird,

I feel this app isn’t ideal for folks who want quirky progressions, unless of course you use it in reverse.