Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

good garageband forums

Recommendations for a good Garageband forum? I've looked around. Mostly YouTube videos and websites. ..I found the official Apple Garageband IOS forum, but I see lots of posts with zero replies.

Or maybe this would be the appropriate forum to ask a question about Garageband? If so, here it is: What is the best way to do a multitake recording on one of two measures at a time. Is the best way to do this to split the track up so that this particular measure sequence can be temporarily isolated , then merged back into the rest of the track after the best take is selected?

thanks!

Comments

• edited December 2018

GarageBand doesn’t have AB locators, so here is the workaround:

Here is an arrangement

I want to add a synth lead only on tenth bar, and to record multiple takes and perhaps do some comping with those takes

I select concerned tracks regions

And then split them to create selectable regions on tenth bar

Select all tenth bar regions and copy them

I tap undo two times to keep my arrangement unmodified

Now create a new one bar section

Paste your previously copied selection in that new section

Create your instrument and arm multi takes recording in that track

Start to record your stuff in several consecutive passes

Now you have your multi takes region recording

You can select your take easily

Copy/paste this region to your previous arrangement section on tenth bar

You can now even copy/paste multiple times this region with different takes settings

When you’re done, you can eventually delete all unused takes

If this is midi data, you can join regions

You can use your special recording section when needed by copy paste regions again and again, then don’t forget to delete it before song export

• very thorough explanation. Thank you for taking the time. It seems like I was on the right track.

• edited December 2018

@Jocphone said:
    Very generous @Janosax

Glad to help :)

@LeesKeys said:
    very thorough explanation. Thank you for taking the time. It seems like I was on the right track.

You’re welcome, yes you had the right logic ;)

• You mentioned YouTube videos, did you check Pete Johns? Here’s got a lot of good vids out there:
    Here’s one:

• yes, have been exploring his videos as well as Dan Baker. Amazing what can be done with Garageband IOS!

• edited December 2018

WTF@Janosax , you’re a freaking wizard! Thanks for that.
    Pete Johns also has a GB iOS user group on FB which is excellent but it’s hard to imagine a better GB group than what is on here.

• edited December 2018

I had another question which I've solved. How do I delete this particular reply?

• edited December 2018

If I understood correctly, just do that:

Create a new section and set the number of bars you need

Tap on that blue modify button

And then by dragging one of these triple line buttons change the sections order to place your freshly created section at the beginning of the arrangement

If you tap on « all sections » you will see your whole arrangement

Additionnal tip, no need to tap on + button to navigate between sections, you can just swipe the whole screen on left or right

In short you can arrange sections like you want. You can also as an alternative just add bars to an existing section, select all existing regions and move them in the section.

• edited December 2018

BTW I’ve learned GarageBand mostly without looking in manual or watching tutorials. I’ve just tapped everywhere and learned what does what. To me, this app is pretty logical, with lot of clever gems here and there. That’s a brain question: I’m at ease with GB, AUM, apeMatrix, whole Audiobus/iOS modular thing or Ableton Live, but I’m just absolutely unable to do any track in KEW, BM2 or Grooverider. Some musicians are the opposite I think. No problems with that, we must use what we like and what we’re confortable with :)

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@LeesKeys said:
    I had another question which I've solved. How do I delete this particular reply?

You can’t delete posts. You can just replace the content with a period or something, or some people just replace with the word “deleted”.

• @LeesKeys said:

Cool!! Have you seen my post above? Was it your solution too?

• yes, exactly. Figured it out pretty quickly, thanks to the logical way Garageband is designed.

• @LeesKeys said:
    yes, exactly. Figured it out pretty quickly, thanks to the logical way Garageband is designed.

Nice!! Have fun ;)

• edited December 2018

Two quick tips:

When holding left or right region handle, this will temporary zoom to max level helping in setting region lenght. When a region is looped, this will only work with right handle.

And on capable iPhones, using 3D Touch on a region will play it solo.