Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

For Sample Based Hip Hop Production Which Is Better?: Beatmaker 3 vs Nanstudio 2 vs Cubasis

Comments

• Don’t discount GarageBand. It has become very powerful and has a ton of really good content.

The live loops have the benefit over BM3 of being able to record your jam into the tracks view. It has the advantage over launchpad that you can use midi loops as well as audio and can use auv3 fx on each channel.

It lacks a decent sampler but you could use something like Virsyn Reslice as an auv3 to take up the slack if you want chopped up samples which you can sequence in GB.

The file management in GarageBand leaves a little to be desired as it lacks batch modes where it really would be useful. However You can import your own loops into a blank live loops session (along with GH loop too if you like) and jam away Ableton/launchpad style and record your output.

None of the apps is perfect and whilst the iPad can make file management in general more painful than it needs to be you can use loads of apps together to fill in the gaps. Once you have a workflow going the friction reduces but I’m hoping iOS 13 improves file handling on the iPad in general.

Even if you don’t use Gb as your main DAW it’s worth using to prepare loops for use in other apps — Alchemy is a really good synth and there are tons of nice drum machine patches too.

I am using GB more and more as it’s the easiest gateway back into Logic on the Mac.

AUv3s have been the catalyst for me.

TLDR — GarageBand ain’t bad anymore.

• @AudioGus said:
    Henny weighs in...

Nice, I just started watching his videos the other day so it was cool to hear his perspective. Thanks for sharing his perspective.

@klownshed said:
    Don’t discount GarageBand. It has become very powerful and has a ton of really good content.

The live loops have the benefit over BM3 of being able to record your jam into the tracks view. It has the advantage over launchpad that you can use midi loops as well as audio and can use auv3 fx on each channel.

It lacks a decent sampler but you could use something like Virsyn Reslice as an auv3 to take up the slack if you want chopped up samples which you can sequence in GB.

The file management in GarageBand leaves a little to be desired as it lacks batch modes where it really would be useful. However You can import your own loops into a blank live loops session (along with GH loop too if you like) and jam away Ableton/launchpad style and record your output.

None of the apps is perfect and whilst the iPad can make file management in general more painful than it needs to be you can use loads of apps together to fill in the gaps. Once you have a workflow going the friction reduces but I’m hoping iOS 13 improves file handling on the iPad in general.

Even if you don’t use Gb as your main DAW it’s worth using to prepare loops for use in other apps — Alchemy is a really good synth and there are tons of nice drum machine patches too.

I am using GB more and more as it’s the easiest gateway back into Logic on the Mac.

Agreed! Garageband is very solid!

• G> @klownshed said:

Don’t discount GarageBand. It has become very powerful and has a ton of really good content.

I don’t know why but GB never interested me.i download it and give it a try everytime I hear if an update but I just can’t get along with it.just don’t know why 😂

• Does anyone ever use Bilbao and Abu Dhabi in Gadget for this kind of music? 16 pads per instance of Abu Dhabi- 25 effects for each- and that’s not including insert effects. And you can have up to have 20 (at least) of them all lined up together- I make that 320 samples you could have to chose from to hit in at any given time. Then there is all the synths should you need them 🤔

• @robosardine said:
    Does anyone ever use Bilbao and Abu Dhabi in Gadget for this kind of music? 16 pads per instance of Abu Dhabi- 25 effects for each- and that’s not including insert effects. And you can have up to have 20 (at least) of them all lined up together- I make that 320 samples you could have to chose from to hit in at any given time. Then there is all the synths should you need them 🤔

All the apps mentioned are cool. You can use any one or any combination of them all. Some will click with you, some won’t. But that’s cool too. We all have different priorities.

None of them are expensive, relatively speaking, and most are a steal.

• edited February 2019

@robosardine said:
    Does anyone ever use Bilbao and Abu Dhabi in Gadget for this kind of music? 16 pads per instance of Abu Dhabi- 25 effects for each- and that’s not including insert effects. And you can have up to have 20 (at least) of them all lined up together- I make that 320 samples you could have to chose from to hit in at any given time. Then there is all the synths should you need them 🤔

I have both but to actually sample a record in them is a real b**** lol. They are more for individual one shot samples or perhaps you can chop up in something else then put the individual samples in the app after.

• But, doesn’t Hip Hop basically consist of one shot samples?

• Yeah but I'm saying creating them is a pain in that app if I was to sample from a song or piece of a song. Some chop which uses one shots and some loop depending on the sample.

• BM3. Awesome sampler in it. I used to have an MPC and this brings me back, it's more advanced (full blown DAW) however. Save though, I get crashes here and there.

Nanostudio 2 is very lacking in the sampling department, more of a synth DAW for now.

Cubasis the 48PPQN might get in the way of your swing if you like to play unquantized.

• edited February 2019

Little bit disagree about NS "very" lacking sampling capabilities. Actually it is good to mention that NS has some pretty unique sampling capabilities which aren't available in any other iOS sampler (sample start, loop start, loop length automation, spectral sample looping)

Of course - It doesn't have non destructive sample slicing, non destructive sample start in audio editor = but not all sampling is just about slicing - there are various creative approaches in sampling area, lot of them very much possible in NS. Non destructive slicing is not holy grail of sampling, it's just one of multiple sampling workflows ...

• When I first this video last month it felt like it was me talking about those apps so yeah I definitely agree with him and so does a lot of hip hop based producers. BM3 is still the best for me and the other apps are good but they don’t fit my workflow.

• For sample based hip hop production I think slicing is essential isn’t it?

• edited February 2019

@gusgranite yes my reaction was more to general statement about lack of sampling features because i don't think it's true in general... sampling of loops from others songs and then slice them to pads is in my opinion less creative part of whole sampling business, you can do a lot more with samplers than just this - it's maybe 10% of what you can do with proper sampler... It is not true that NS is "synth only" app, you can dona quite lot regarding sampling... I just needed to mention it...

Of course i understand that @MarkySo needs exactly slicing as his main sampling tool, that's why also suggested to him other daw somewhere at beginning of this thread... Obviously BM3 is weapon of choice for this kind of workflow, no doubt

But old gold standards of creative sampling like Yamaha Ax000, Akai Z4, EMU samplers were also "no slicers" - and still they were powerfull samplers ;)

Just as example - @3sleeves released recently full hiphop instrumental album made in NS2 (in my opinion great music)

https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/3sleeves/extravehicular-activity

• Dendy I was talking in the context of the thread.. hip-hop... Slicing etc

I agree that Obsidian is an excellent "keyboard" style sampler, great for making sample based patches, but this is not a huge part of "sample based hip-hop production" at all.

• edited February 2019

Sample based hiphop as opposed to what.......🤨

• I do sample based and original composition hip-hop/trip-hop/trap/breakbeat based music.

BM3 sits on the throne for sampling for me, great sampler. I like the futuristic MPC mixed with DAW workflow also. Only issue I have is I still get occasional crashes.

Nanostudio 2 has become my go to for original compositions. It's just real clean, stable, everything can be gotten to quickly. I am very fond of obsidian and often don't use ANY AU instruments, with my usual sends (dubstation 2 and a reverb.) When this gets audio tracks it will be absolutely killer. I've had one crash which was probably an AU, the internal stuff is rock solid.

• right now i am starting in Bm3 to build up kits, fx and ditties then exporting them to NS2, dumping them to slate, building up the track in NS2 while keeping Bm3 linked until things get too squishy. Then i just stay in NS2, ocassionaly exporting mixdowns back to BM3

But yah audio tracks in NS2 will more than likely switch up this whole approach. Gorsh I wonder if it will be good enough to dump full on ten minute AUM jams or unfinished multitracks from other apps/projects... Oh my... Feeling flush, gotta sit down...

• Haha
    The problem with this post is...everyone on it is pulling for their workstation of choice...
    The only shocking thing I saw was Dendy actually mentioning beatmaker at all in a positive light hahaha...I wasn’t ready for that.

I can make chop style sample based hip hop in garageband mobile by using the scissor tool on the audio track...but who the hell wants to work like that? Not me. If all you have is the iPad...there is nothing going to beat bm3 for sample chopped hip hop...nothing. That is all I have to say about that one Jenny.
    I.e.
    I can cut a board in half with a drill, but a saw is just more convenient for that job.

• edited February 2019

To be totally honest I stopped producing on iPad late last year after purchasing an mpclive and the akai force...the iPad is a sound module/effects rig now

• Isn't the point of the thread for sample beat makers to push their favorite?

• “Obviously BM3 is weapon of choice for this kind of workflow, no doubt”

Dendy, Feb 25th 2019

😂 😉

• I’m just playing.

• @gusgranite @AudioGus @MrSmileZ

Haha.. common guys .. I don't know how many times i need to say it. I never said BM3 is bad app ! I just said it goes completely in opposite direction of my personal production needs and it is lacking lot for me important features. I was for many years BM2 user so i was very disappointed with changed paradigm of BM3, that's true, but just because of my personal needs.

I'm always trying to provide unbiased point of view when i'm trying to help somebody - because this is completely different story than just talking about own personal production needs.

If somebody is searching best DAW for sample-based hiphop (especially loop slicing and "pad-like" workflow), then it would be sick to not suggest BM3 as first choice. It's is totally superior in this area on iOS for now.

• Originally I would say Beatmaker 3. Now, StageLight. I can produce a brand new electronica beat and full track in half the time it took me to do so in Beatmaker 3.

• edited February 2019

And StageLight does all that (transient based) slicing or pads chromatic playability (which i saw mentioned many times as crucial fro sample based HH production) ? I though it is just planned (SL is actually only one iOS DAW i never tried :))

• How do you delete a track on that?

you know I forgot I had that and like 20 worth IAP

so it does transients well?

does it do 64 pad learn use like BM3 ?