Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Pro USB C Audio Interface

Hi,
unfortunately, my old iPad literally fell into pieces on my last gig and I am thinking about getting the new iPad pro.
Is there anyone who already owns one of the new iPads and can tell me if there are any Thunderbolt 3 or USB C audio interfaces that work with the new iPad without having to use a dongle?
Thanks!

Comments

• finding the whole USB C thing a bit frustrating- the world seems to have decided that what we need is USB C->A adapters and NOT native USB C - you don't even seem to be able to buy USB C hubs that are just USB C connectors. I do have a Pixel headphone adapter which is kind of nice and native USB C but still using my Native Instruments interface for the moment.

Come on - lets starting moving to USB C - it is actually way better

• I haven't seen any soundcards that use USB-c connectors, been looking since I got my MBP last year. Ditto on the straight up USB-C hub too, as mentioned they always have A connectors.

Soon hopefully! In the meantime I've had no issues using the standard apple dongle with either my iPad Pro or the MacBook pro, works fine.

• You can get a straight USB-C to USB-A Adapter. It’s still a dongle, but you’ll have way more choice of audio interfaces.

Also, thunderbolt won’t work with the iPad:

https://www.cultofmac.com/590276/2018-ipad-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility/

• So it is not possible to use a Thunderbolt 3 interface like the UA Arrow on a USB C port?

• I’ll be the jerk here, and probably get yelled at, but I’ll take it. I looked into all this for like 2 months before I bought my audiofuse. You don’t need type c for anything audio related unless it’s some crazy amount of data that audio would never use.
    Arturia Audiofuse is usb 2.0, I was like wtf, I read and read and read, and yeah, it’s all nonsense, I mean type c for recording. So, bought Audiofuse, no regret, it’s amazing. Just as low latency (4ms with 2 channels in, plus multiple effects) plus, the recording quality and ease of use with iPad or pc is ridiculous compared to other interfaces I’ve used.
    Just my opinion, but read about this stuff before you decide, hardware is not cheap.

• edited December 2018

The answer is deceptively simple:
    1. Start with your current iOS setup
    2. toss the old usb cable and CCK.
    3. Replace with a standard USB 3 cable that has USB-C on one end and USB-B on the other end.

We are so conditioned to thinking dongles are required that it is easy to forget that USB-C is actually a widely available standard, no dongles needed.

Of course if you need to charge the iPad at the same time you will want some sort of dock or “PD” enabled hub.

• @iOSproducer said:
    So it is not possible to use a Thunderbolt 3 interface like the UA Arrow on a USB C port?

Nope. The UA stuff isn’t class compliant anyway and requires the software to use it correctly from my understanding. I think there’s a M Audio usb C interface

• @Hmtx said:
    3. Replace with a standard USB 3 cable that has USB-C on one end and USB-B on the other end.

We are so conditioned to thinking dongles are required that it is easy to forget that USB-C is actually a widely available standard, no dongles needed.

Of course if you need to charge the iPad at the same time you will want some sort of dock or “PD” enabled hub.

My favorite part about USB C is that you don’t have to supply power to the iPad to use an interface. USB C supplies bus power to it unlike Lightning. No powered hub needed

• Cc> @Hmtx said:

Totally agree with this apart from that I need headphones as well basically whenever I play.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:
    My favorite part about USB C is that you don’t have to supply power to the iPad to use an interface. USB C supplies bus power to it unlike Lightning. No powered hub needed

Does this mean I can plug a class compliant USB interface with power supply to the iPad and it will charge it?

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@iOSproducer said:
    So it is not possible to use a Thunderbolt 3 interface like the UA Arrow on a USB C port?

Nope. The UA stuff isn’t class compliant anyway and requires the software to use it correctly from my understanding. I think there’s a M Audio usb C interface

Your understanding is correct: UAD interfaces need a software to handle the DSP onboard chips (Analog Devices Sharc) and routing of the signal path.
    The price of these interfaces is first of all defined by that near-realtime DSP system and it's special processing routines. The interface is an entry in their plugin system.

The new Audient ID44 is an interface (20 in / 24 out) with USB type-C connector, but works on the USB 2.0 protocol, which likely applies to the M-Audio as well. Audio (in that range of channels) doesn't need higher bandwidth.

• Just to add another usb-C hub option for the new iPad Pro (11in in my case), I got this one for Christmas,
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GBPJ15X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

together with an extender cable:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FM4ZP4O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems to work fine. I had my Korg Microkey 25 and iRig HD plugged into 2 of the USB ports and monitored the sound out through the 3.5mm jack into my monitors and it all sounded OK to me (not tested the ethernet, HDMI or SD cards though). This was without any need to power the hub/iPad.

• @iOSproducer said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

Does this mean I can plug a class compliant USB interface with power supply to the iPad and it will charge it?

No, it means the opposite. The iPad with USB-C should be able to power your interface and MIDI devices This will USE more iPad battery.

If you want to charge the iPad you will need a hub.

• @iOSproducer said:

I plugged that exact device into my iPad Pro. It gives an error message, and won’t work.

• @AlterEgo_UK said:
    Just to add another usb-C hub option for the new iPad Pro (11in in my case), I got this one for Christmas,
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GBPJ15X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FM4ZP4O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems to work fine. I had my Korg Microkey 25 and iRig HD plugged into 2 of the USB ports and monitored the sound out through the 3.5mm jack into my monitors and it all sounded OK to me (not tested the ethernet, HDMI or SD cards though). This was without any need to power the hub/iPad.

Ooh might do for now and I can get it delivered tomorrow :)

• @AlterEgo_UK said:
    Just to add another usb-C hub option for the new iPad Pro (11in in my case), I got this one for Christmas,

Is there a hub like that that charges the ipad?

• @iOSproducer said:

@AlterEgo_UK said:

Is there a hub like that that charges the ipad?

The linked hub will charge the iPad.

• @Hmtx said:

I cannot find these anywhere in Australia?? Do they even exist?

• And further, which USB C port is it anyway on the iPad Pro 3rd Gen? I might just buy a hub. Hopefully one that charges!

• @pax-eterna said:
    I cannot find these anywhere in Australia?? Do they even exist?

https://www.amazon.com.au/Printer-Fasgear-Braided-Connector-Printers/dp/B07DVDXKZS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=usb+b+to+usb+c&qid=1572209944&sr=8-1

I'm not sure if they work when used upside-down though.

• I went a similar process recently and gladly went with the new Ipad air 3. It has lightning and a 3.5 jack.

• thx hibjshop - although it may be moot now - refer https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35371/been-dudded-on-an-ipad-purchase-need-advice-on-whether-it-will-still-be-ok#latest - if I do end up returning it I'll check out the AIR for sure!