Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Call to devs: please make a cool low latency pitch shifter with formant control AU!!

edited December 2018 in Other

I’ve tried them all: ToneStack, 4pockets, Virsyn, etc... and only VoiceRackFX does the trick, but TCHelicon doesn’t support it anymore so it will die one day...

Only VRFX iOS has low latency, nice pitching algorithm with natural sounding formant settings, presets changing midi control and is AU (edited: universal, iPhone 7 Plus musician here). Only tracking is not that good at fast playing, so I use it only for saxes sections and for saxes solos I use Polyverse Manipulator on my laptop.

A good pitch-shifting AU with formant and fast tracking, real-time low latency, with midi preset changing is essential to my iOS music making!

Who wants to do one???

@brambos @FredAntonCorvest @Michael and others?

Pleaase!!.. :)

Comments

• edited December 2018

Have you tried Virsyn's Harmony Eight?

And where did you hear about TC Helicon dropping VoiceRack FX support?

• edited December 2018

@Samu said:

I’m in contact with Carecrea/TCHelicon since September, even Alessandro from apeSoft sent them a mail for me with some indications to fix a graphic issue in some hosts since iOS12 (don’t seeing knobs when reopening AU in GB, StageLight...), and the answer is still the same: « there is no promise on when and if a fix will be completed or uploaded », and they invite me to find some alternatives on the AppStore... I had to contact Carecrea as TCHelicon don’t have a contact form for iOS apps anymore... so I really have fear that iOS13 could kill it.

I’ve tried Virsyn yes, I don’t get that natural sounding result I get with VRFX unfortunately.

I’ve tried also Discord4, Voicesynth, Woodulator @gusgranite and they all sound like straight pitch shifter with not that efficient sounding formant control there is in VRFX or VST Polyverse Manipulator, or have too much latency. This is hard to find even in VST’s, where most pitch shifters sounds correct but have huge latency (Soundtoys Littlealterboy...).

VRFX has something very special, even Manipulator doesn’t sound that natural, but that last one has crazy features, lower latency, better tracking. I’ve asked them for an iOS version lol, but I doubt there will be one.

• Retune has a nice formant if you tighten the zones in enough

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Retune has a nice formant if you tighten the zones in enough

This is in Auria? I forgot to mention, this has to be an universal AU, iPhone only here :D

• @Janosax said:

@Samu said:

I’m in contact with Carecrea/TCHelicon since September, even Alessandro from apeSoft sent them a mail for me with some indications to fix a graphic issue in some hosts since iOS12 (don’t seeing knobs when reopening AU in GB, StageLight...), and the answer is still the same: « there is no promise on when and if a fix will be completed or uploaded », and they invite me to find some alternatives on the AppStore... I had to contact Carecrea as TCHelicon don’t have a contact form for iOS apps anymore... so I really have fear that iOS13 could kill it.

I’ve tried Virsyn yes, I don’t get that natural sounding result I get with VRFX unfortunately.

I’ve tried also Discord4, Voicesynth, Woodulator @gusgranite and they all sound like straight pitch shifter with not that efficient sounding formant control there is in VRFX or VST Polyverse Manipulator, or have too much latency. This is hard to find even in VST’s, where most pitch shifters sounds correct but have huge latency (Soundtoys Littlealterboy...).

VRFX has something very special, even Manipulator doesn’t sound that natural, but that last one has crazy features, lower latency, better tracking. I’ve asked them for an iOS version lol, but I doubt there will be one.

ReplikaXT (Native Instruments) a delay with a nice pitch shifter is my favorite. Works with even zero delay.

• edited December 2018

@Cib said:

@Janosax said:

@Samu said:

ReplikaXT (Native Instruments) a delay with a nice pitch shifter is my favorite. Works with even zero delay.

Thanks, I will take a look at that one for my laptop setup ;)

This is crazy, I really plan to keep my iPhone frozen on iOS12 just because of VRFX, in fear of loosing it!! That sucks! This is even one major reason I get back to Ableton/laptop setup, as I can’t rely only on my iOS live setup. Even if I still use mainly my iPhone for everything related to music creation. Odd iOS power, 5.5 vs 14 inches, iPhone wins!! :D Okay, Manipulator allows for pitched soloing, which VRFX don’t so the game is not closed!!

• @Janosax said:

@Cib said:

@Janosax said:

@Samu said:

This is crazy, I really plan to keep my iPhone frozen on iOS12 just because of VRFX, in fear of loosing it!! That sucks! This is even one major reason I get back to Ableton/laptop setup, as I can’t rely only on my iOS live setup. Even if I still use mainly my iPhone for everything related to music creation. Odd iOS power, 5.5 vs 14 inches, iPhone wins!! :D Okay, Manipulator allows for pitched soloing, which VRFX don’t so the game is not closed!!

Just read again and i have to say ReplikaXT has no formant control (just pitch), so it might not what you want.
    Melodyne might do it all and much more but that is of course an expensive piece of software.

• edited December 2018

@Cib said:

@Janosax said:

@Cib said:

@Janosax said:

@Samu said:

Just read again and i have to say ReplikaXT has no formant control (just pitch), so it might not what you want.
    Melodyne might do it all and much more but that is of course an expensive piece of software.

On laptop, I’ve found my holy grail which is Manipulator. Have you tried it?

The issue is on iOS, with VRFX not being updated anymore. Voicesynth is a bit similar to Manipulator but not as musical and much higher latency.

https://polyversemusic.com/products/manipulator/

• edited December 2018

@Janosax said:

@Cib said:

@Janosax said:

@Cib said:

@Janosax said:

@Samu said:

On laptop, I’ve found my holy grail which is Manipulator. Have you tried it?

The issue is on iOS, with VRFX not being updated anymore. Voicesynth is a bit similar to Manipulator but not as musical and much higher latency.

Manipulator looks great. But even on sale it is a bit too expensive for me since i mainly have enough tools for pitch modulation. But this GUI looks very nice. Almost perfect for touch screen as well :)
    Much better than VRFX.
    But i bet there are million things in the Reaktor community for free as well.

• I just wish for serato sample on ipad! Good stuff

• But indeed VRFX offers a lot for the money. Sad that it might be abandoned. Normally they only make hardware?

• A> @Cib said:

But indeed VRFX offers a lot for the money. Sad that it might be abandoned. Normally they only make hardware?

Yes VRFX offers a lot for sure. Yes they do only hardware, so this app is more like an entry door to their sonic universe.

• edited December 2018

@Janosax said:
    A> @Cib said:

But indeed VRFX offers a lot for the money. Sad that it might be abandoned. Normally they only make hardware?

Yes VRFX offers a lot for sure. Yes they do only hardware, so this app is more like an entry door to their sonic universe.

That‘s the trouble with some great iOS apps. You lick blood and then it‘s a dead end someday (like FingerFiddle and some other apps). There are just a few iOS developers which i have trust in (and even here you never know what can happen to a one person show).
    I see most iOS apps as is. I mean no one is forced to update the OS anyway. But as we know Apple want us to and find ways to bother us (and developers) to push too fast forward.

• @Cib said:

@Janosax said:
    A> @Cib said:

That‘s the trouble with some great iOS apps. You lick blood and then it‘s a dead end someday (like FingerFiddle and some other apps). There are just a few iOS developers which i have trust in (and even here you never know what can happen to a one person show).
    I see most iOS apps as is. I mean no one is forced to update the OS anyway. But as we know Apple want us to and find ways to bother us (and developers) to push too fast forward.

That’s true. I always buy apps that still get some regular updates, but we never know. I think other strong iOS pillars I couldn’t make iOS music without are Audiobus, AUM and Loopy.

• @Janosax said:

@Cib said:

@Janosax said:
    A> @Cib said:

That’s true. I always buy apps that still get some regular updates, but we never know. I think other strong iOS pillars I couldn’t make iOS music without are Audiobus, AUM and Loopy.

But these things happen as well on the desktop platform. My favorite (non-hybrid) synth is abandoned and while it gots no update since year or so it still runs on the latest macOS Mojave but each next major update could break it and i´m sure the next major Logic update would force me to update. But it´s a synth i can´t live without anymore.
    Maybe it´s even possible to run 2 different os versions on a desktop but on iOS these things are more difficult.
    In general the desktop world is slower to adopt but also mostly more stable in long terms.
    One day i go all hardware, lol.

• edited December 2018

@Cib said:

@Janosax said:

@Cib said:

@Janosax said:
    A> @Cib said:

But these things happen as well on the desktop platform. My favorite (non-hybrid) synth is abandoned and while it gots no update since year or so it still runs on the latest macOS Mojave but each next major update could break it and i´m sure the next major Logic update would force me to update. But it´s a synth i can´t live without anymore.
    Maybe it´s even possible to run 2 different os versions on a desktop but on iOS these things are more difficult.
    In general the desktop world is slower to adopt but also mostly more stable in long terms.
    One day i go all hardware, lol.

Lol, I understand your synth issue. With Windows it's slightly different as I'm still able to use 10 years old desktop with W7 with really decent results (overcloked Core Duo) and recent music software, or use OOOLLD Steinberg Virtual Guitarist VST/Ableton Live 10 on powerful 3 years old Lenovo i5/W10 thanks to jBridge (does this works on OSX?). But I'm lucky enough to have a very stable and reliable laptop rig, and to being able to control manually W10 Windows Update, but that could eventually be broken so bye bye live setup. MAC'S needs more often to be updated to last OS and it seems that can break things too. All hardware setups are cool, but software is so powerful and versatile!! Could you live without all your plugs and DAW? That’s some huge fun too, and when you have some workflows/sonic habits, its hard to change them :)

• this?
    Formante by Elliott Garage

• @sysexual said:
    this?

Looks interesting but seems to be formant only, not pitch shift :(

• @Janosax said:

@sysexual said:
    this?

Looks interesting but seems to be formant only, not pitch shift :(

ive never tried but the egsy01’s vowel filter is pretty good

• edited January 2019

give vocalrackfx some stars... on the appstore and perhaps it will become profitable?
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/voice-rack-fx-vocal-effects-processor/id950058913?mt=8

• edited January 2019

What we REALLY need is an app/ framework that allows for an "iOS compatibility mode" so you can run any app you want going back to the oldest iOS. Alchemy, etc.