Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best iOS FX inside synths

So it´s time to mention how much i love the FX inside Model D, Zeeon and TF8.
Model D sounds already superb but it also got the bender and delay (i think Model 15 has the same nice delay) which sounds as good as something like ReplikaXT (Native Instruments) and makes a HUGE part of the big analog sound it can create.
Also i love Zeeon´s zero delay feedback phaser and BBD chorus.
Then the reverb in TF8 is still the best i heard yet in iOS land for really lush and very smooth modulated tails.
I would pay a bunch for these 5 effect as extended versions as AUv3 for sure. No dedicated FX plug-in i saw yet on iOS could deliver the same guts.
So what do you think are other outstanding FX which could make sound even the most crap like angels. :)

Comments

• If you have old hardware, it is best to stick with the built-in FX that come with your DAW app or its IAPs. That way, you are not firing 2 apps, the performance is optimal, your device is not maxing out, battery usage is optimal, etc.

• edited December 2018

@MobileMusic said:
    If you have old hardware, it is best to stick with the built-in FX that come with your DAW app or its IAPs. That way, you are not firing 2 apps, the performance is optimal, your device is not maxing out, battery usage is optimal, etc.

Sure, but there is the time (at least for me) you want the best of the best.
    F.e. most stock reverbs in iOS synths are crap (beside TF8 so far).
    The delay in Model D and Model 15 really has balls.
    And i don‘t know if there even exist another ZDF-phaser on iOS.
    My favorite synth FX ever is the modFX in Alchemy. Even no plug-in i ever tryed can do the same.
    FX for me are an important part of the sound design as well.
    Of course there are some outstanding stock FX in some DAWs. But they are rare on iOS really.
    Also i talk about FX no iOS DAW seems to offer.

• DRC has some fantastic fx as does Aparillo.

• edited December 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Syntronik. Not really ‘inside the synth’ but part of the same app and very good.

• I’ve done lots of back and forth experimenting with this lately. While its nice having some on board effects, none seem to enliven the sound like outboard hardware. Quite fun too

• DRC nice chorus
    Lorentz cool delay

• Indeed Zeeon’s Phaser is high level amazing. Would be a killer day to have some dedicated AUs of that Phaser and TF8 reverb.

• The sheer tweakability of the FX engine in Addictive Pro deserves a mention.

• Nave, Zeeon, DRC and the synth part of Egoist

• Tf8 synth????

• @reasOne said:
    Tf8 synth????

Yes. Also best strings ever i heard in any iOS synth.
    And a nice reverse delay.
    I think it‘s iPhone only....

• @brice said:
    Indeed Zeeon’s Phaser is high level amazing. Would be a killer day to have some dedicated AUs of that Phaser and TF8 reverb.

Yes. I might like it even more than most vst phasers.
    Not sure if there even other zero-delay-feedback phasers exist. I would buy it in a hearbeat as VST/AU as well.
    Model D saturation is superb as well.
    Moog did a phenomenal job here. Still one of the best and phat sounding synth ever created.

• Congratulations, you've opened and effectively closed a thread with your first post. Everything mentioned was spot on, and there's nothing else that stands out to me.

• @Cib said:

@brice said:
    Indeed Zeeon’s Phaser is high level amazing. Would be a killer day to have some dedicated AUs of that Phaser and TF8 reverb.

Not sure if there even other zero-delay-feedback phasers exist. I would buy it in a hearbeat as VST/AU as well.
    Moog did a phenomenal job here. Still one of the best and phat sounding synth ever created.

Very true. I’ve yet to meet a VST phaser that’s made me smile. Well wait, there is a Solina Reaktor ensemble built by someone in the user library. And inside of there is a really amazing phaser. Plucked from Jarre’s Kitchen it sounds. But that’s all I know of. Chorus on the other hand, I’ve been in love with TAL Chorus for a long while. But I digress.

iOS....Agreed. Model D is a pillar of saturation done right; done musically. Not sure but did you ever try out DRC? Not comparing the two per se, but I think DRC has a lot going for it. Looking forward to the AU for certain. I’m hard pressed to think of any other iOS synths with exemplary built-in effects. I need to re-visit a lot of stuff, though. Maybe there is a gem or two lurking around out there...

• The Effectrix style sections in Cyclop and Egoist are pretty good, and the Aparillo fx section is pretty damn decent too.

• @Cib said:

i really like phasers in NS2.. very musically sounding.. and saturation/overdrive unit is also lovely...

• I like the FX in Synthmaster One - sounds great!
    And, you can use this FX with other apps...

• edited December 2018

@brice said:

Very true. I’ve yet to meet a VST phaser that’s made me smile. Well wait, there is a Solina Reaktor ensemble built by someone in the user library. And inside of there is a really amazing phaser. Plucked from Jarre’s Kitchen it sounds. But that’s all I know of. Chorus on the other hand, I’ve been in love with TAL Chorus for a long while. But I digress.

iOS....Agreed. Model D is a pillar of saturation done right; done musically. Not sure but did you ever try out DRC? Not comparing the two per se, but I think DRC has a lot going for it. Looking forward to the AU for certain. I’m hard pressed to think of any other iOS synths with exemplary built-in effects. I need to re-visit a lot of stuff, though. Maybe there is a gem or two lurking around out there...

The only ZDF phaser i know is from SynapseAudio (Dune developer) but it´s only a rack for Reason so i pass.
    Indeed there are so much gems from the Reaktor community but i just hate using Reaktor for anything these days. Too much cpu and a pain to edit something for me.
    It´s funny if you have a huge sounding preset inside Zeeon or Model D and then turn the FX off. Sometimes you wonder how thin it now is (but sorry, the reverb in Zeeon is really bad here and it hurts even).
    But FX are a very important part for me, even more so than the raw OSCs for me.
    And yes, what you say about the saturation in Model D is musical is exact what i love about it. There are some synths which overdrives even more and have that grind and whatever but there are only 2 synth with saturation i find more musical and that is P900 (and it´s also polyphonic) and Repro (also polyphonic here).
    Beside that i like the one in Model D more than in any other Minimoog emulation ever made. Lol i even find it better than the hardware feedback which is stunning brutal but not musical in any way for me when driven hard.
    The FX also just pronounce the character exact like i want it. Moog did it right perfect here in terms of sound.
    I own DRC (and beta test it as well) for mac and iOS and it really has the most dirty saturation stages maybe from my synths. But it´s not as musical as the Moog one and suffers from aliasing more i think. The Moog one is so punchy, add nice harmonics but still sounds clear and pronounced. The only synth which can do similar gnarly precise sounds as P900 and Repro for me. It´s my favorite iOS synth because it just is a giant sweet spot and nothing comes close in the area it delivers for me. I would die for an AU/VST as well here.
    But again my favorite FX inside a synth from all my tools including iOS and mac is still the magic i can get out of the modFX in Alchemy. I don´t know what magic it does but it´s so musical that i searched for months for something which could do the same. No chance yet. I got close with some combinations of comb-filters and flangers but not quite the same. It´s the kind of FX which hurts that i can´t use it easy with other tools.
    So my list including iOS and mac would be following and i would of course prefer it crossplatform as well:
    TF8 iPhone synth: Reverb
    Zeeon iPad/iPhone synth: Phaser, BBD chorus (there are good alternatives as well here maybe but i like this one really)
    Model D (and in parts Model 15) iPhone/iPad synth: Saturation, Delay, Bender
    Alchemy (Logic version): modFX (nothing like it so far i´m aware of)
    P900 mac AU only: Reverb module (my favorite plate reverb i ever heard yet), saturation (best and most musical i ever heard yet in any synth so far, including hardware!)
    Repro-1 VST/AU: JAWS....just the f..... most impressive and cleanest wavefolder i ever heard yet (32X oversampled!).
    Beware filters don´t count here. Otherwise i would love to have the Model D and P900 filters as FX plug-in as well.
    Oh and i forgot what i would call the biggest unison sound from all iOS synths. Different synth having different unison character, algorithms, whatever and Korg´s iOdyssei blows them all away here by far. It just sound really BIG.

• @dendy said:

@Cib said:

i really like phasers in NS2.. very musically sounding.. and saturation/overdrive unit is also lovely...

Since i just have here and there access to an iPad (from a friend and/or family member) which i forced them to buy NS2 for it :) ....i have to wait for the iPhone version to really get my hand on it more in depth.
    While you at it. I would love to see some more videos, demos about the NS2/Obsidian FX. So far most things were there in the small tutorial videos....beside FX.
    From what i tested and heard i think the saturation/distortion option in NS2 are really good and musical as well.
    Didn´t tested the phaser, flanger, chorus yet. But i´m not after that "usual" phaser sound. The one in Zeeon is really special and i guess it has to do with the zero delay feedback path it offers. It really shines if you go near to 100% feedback. It´s even not as good as normal phaser for that normal phaser sound (if that makes sense) but it´s quite unique for what it can do and i like unique effects. :)

• Audulus 3 and SunVox have some good effects. Audulus 3 has a z delay which can be used for building all sorts of effects.

• @InfoCheck said:
    Audulus 3 and SunVox have some good effects. Audulus 3 has a z delay which can be used for building all sorts of effects.

And both are sadly beyond what i would call fun to use. I have both even on iOS and mac but damn if there are 2 things i hate more as the Reaktor workflow it would be these.
    But maybe time to revisit them after long time and see what´s going on. Thank´s for the mention!

• @Cib
    While you at it. I would love to see some more videos, demos about the NS2/Obsidian FX.

just quick example, some random loop through phaser (slow automation of all phaser params from zero to max)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxdswhwaj63t9ww/Phaser.wav?dl=0

and here same loop just before phaser is overdrive (my favourite chain :-))

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5ptt9s43vc45i3/OverdriveAndPhaser.wav?dl=0

• The downside of the good FX in iOS apps is almost all are not available as mod-source beside the delay in Model 15 which you even can modulate at audio rate :)
    Using envelopes and LFOs to modulate FX is as important as the filter for me.
    I know a few synth on iOS can do it but not the one i want.
    Oh, and i forgot a real gem. The tube resonance in Mitosynth is a special as well for me.

• I am not sure what I think of it as a reverb reverb, but I find Volt's reverb luscious for creating certain lush sounds that sound like nothing without it.

• At least the Zeeon phaser should be available as FX then since Drumbo will be also usable as FX if i understand it. Nice!

• @dendy said:

@Cib
    While you at it. I would love to see some more videos, demos about the NS2/Obsidian FX.

just quick example, some random loop through phaser (slow automation of all phaser params from zero to max)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxdswhwaj63t9ww/Phaser.wav?dl=0

and here same loop just before phaser is overdrive (my favourite chain :-))

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5ptt9s43vc45i3/OverdriveAndPhaser.wav?dl=0

Thank‘s. Sounds not bad. NS2 seems indeed the overall good package with almost all to start with on iOS and seems pretty low on cpu.

• Galileo 1 because how else are you going to add a rotary speaker simulator to your guitar? I know Cubasis has one, but I don’t use Cubasis that often, or play guitar that often either for that matter...

• @DMan said:
    Galileo 1 because how else are you going to add a rotary speaker simulator to your guitar? I know Cubasis has one, but I don’t use Cubasis that often, or play guitar that often either for that matter...

Check this new AU FX from 4pockets https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/vintage-vibe-auv3-plugin/id1431730020?mt=8

• edited December 2018

@Cib said:

@reasOne said:
    Tf8 synth????

Yes. Also best strings ever i heard in any iOS synth.
    And a nice reverse delay.
    I think it‘s iPhone only....

The iPad version is named TF-7 ;)
    It's an outstanding FM synth (not trying to emulate the traditional DX-7) with a smooth sound engine resembling (at least on par) the NI FM-8 approach.
    The playing pads are tonally arranged in a clever way and allow expressive note entry.
    Similiar to Animoogs 'blade' keys but spread out like a Yamaha Tenorion.

The overall great design of user interaction combined with a flawless ton probably tricked you into considering the reverb something 'special'.
    Imho it's the same Apple standard algorithm with a setting that simply matches the sound engine perfectly. There are no parameters exposed for further tweaking for a reason.

The term 'standard' should not be mistaken as inferior - it is in fact a very good reverb.
    Also to be found in SamplR with full tweaking in that ingenious circle/color intensity graphical interface. That it doesn't sound as smooth as in TF-7/8 is due to SamplR's granular based operation, which has some harshness (not unpleasant, though) by nature.