Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

THE BEST alternative for.....

Reason 10 on iOS?

I miss it a lot, I’ve sold my copy because I thought switching to iOS mainly wont hurt as much... but... yeah.

What I love about reason is the big sound/Synth Collection... it has everything right out of the bag.

After laying down some chords I used to record ideas with my mic and then i worked more on my sounds selection and melody’s via these nice effects reason comes with.

What is the most reason like (for my kinda workflow) daw on iOS? Is there any? I got cubasis, bm3/bm2, and gadget allready. I miss the acoustic instruments a lot :/

Comments

• Caustic? Not sure if it´s abandoned. NanoStudio 2 (still would be my choice anyway on iOS).
    But of course you should not expect to replace the full Reason with any iOS DAW.
    If you need Reason...stay with it. Otherwise consider a new/different workflow and other instruments.
    Acoustic. No iOS DAW comes with decent one (beside GarageBand). But some offer not so bad IAP.

• Thank you. Garageband i used too.. I didn’t like it that much.

But I think you were right, no replacement for reason :/
    Damn i wish i stayed with it :)

• NANOSTUDIO 2 because brand new and it’s got the most sophisticated linear timeline, multiple track lanes % channel, midi sends and audio routing. There’s a sample based drum pad and a synth that would be too complicated to explain here, but it’s very powerful and you can layer synths together if you want to.

Caustic has a rack set up like Reason but you’re limited to 14 tracks.

Gadget is a little like Reason because you can build up your arsenal of sound modules with IAPs, there are about 30 now, and most of them come with at least 50-100 presets each.

• edited December 2018

NS2 Sounds tempting to me. Xmas sale maybe? xD i think ill give it a try, maybe as a gift to myself for beeing a good dude.

Yea gadget is soundwise the one that comes the closest to what reason was to me. But the clipbased workflow isnt the real deal.
    But thank you for your opinion:)

• edited December 2018

@mistkerl said:
    NS2 Sounds tempting to me. Xmas sale maybe?
    xD i think ill give it a try, maybe as a gift to myself for beeing a good dude.

maybe this serie of NS2 tutorials will help you to make decision ;-)

• @mistkerl said:
    NS2 Sounds tempting to me. Xmas sale maybe? xD i think ill give it a try, maybe as a gift to myself for beeing a good dude.

Yea gadget is soundwise the one that comes the closest to what reason was to me. But the clipbased workflow isnt the real deal.

Possibly Auria Pro, as it includes audio tracks but also hosts external apps. I use Reason on desktop, and Auria feels like the closest.

• FWIW Reason was my main software for 13 years, and now using Nanostudio 2 reminds me very much of those days.

• Personally I would use a combination of Gadget and Xequence. It almost takes me back to the pre-Reason 6 days!

• edited December 2018

@Fitz said:
    Personally I would use a combination of Gadget and Xequence. It almost takes me back to the pre-Reason 6 days!

Never heard of xequence. Hmmm

@Shabudua said:
    FWIW Reason was my main software for 13 years, and now using Nanostudio 2 reminds me very much of those days.

Love to hear that. NS2 seems to be very promising. Does it has a step sequenzer?

Why does it reminds you? Pls Tell me more

• At some point Drambo will be released - an AUv3 modular synth. Check out the other thread.

• @mistkerl said:

So you mean you don´t live up to your avatar name :D ;)

• I'd go with three apps for starters...

1. Nanostudio 2 and its IAPs
    2. Beathawk and at least its acoustic-based IAPs
    3. AudioLayer

NS2 has that sick af Obsidian synth which should cover most of your synth needs. Of course it's AU-compatible (Audio Unit) so that any AU instrument and effect can be used within.

Beathawk has some of the best acoustic sample packs on iOS that cover a lot of world sounds and orchestral sounds. If you're a completionist, they also have packs full of loops that automatically adjust to any BPM you're working in (yes, even within the AU itself when you automate NS2's tempo) and also have genre-based packs too. And, the AU streams from disk rather than loading the samples into RAM.

I also suggested AudioLayer which is more or less optional. Yes, Obsidian has its own sampler which suffices most uses, but I heard from @VirSyn that AudioLayer will soon add SFZ support. If you have a large collection of SFZ instruments like I do, you'll want to purchase AudioLayer. :) Cheers.

• @mistkerl said:

@Shabudua said:
    FWIW Reason was my main software for 13 years, and now using Nanostudio 2 reminds me very much of those days.

Love to hear that. NS2 seems to be very promising. Does it has a step sequenzer?

Why does it reminds you? Pls Tell me more

Tough to pin down...the feel of editing the piano roll, the ease of switching between the windows, the uniform design of the device panels...I’m sure it’s personal preference, but NS2 just “works” for me the way Reason did/does. When Reason came out, it had intentionally-limited features compared to other DAWs; NS2 is like that, as are Gadget and Caustic. It took Reason 8 years or so to get audio tracks; hopefully NS2 will be quicker 🙂

NS2 does not have a step sequencer. You can use the Rozeta Bassline plugin similarly to Reason’s Matrix pattern sequencer, switching patterns with midi notes.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I also suggested AudioLayer which is more or less optional. Yes, Obsidian has its own sampler which suffices most uses, but I heard from @VirSyn that AudioLayer will soon add SFZ support. If you have a large collection of SFZ instruments like I do, you'll want to purchase AudioLayer. :) Cheers.

Ohh, that sounds good!!!

• I popped in to see what this was about and got a rumor update for AudioLayer.

AudioLayer to add SFZ Import is it? I need to start looking for more SFZ's and see if I can convert SF2's to SFZ's with anything I already own. Looking forward to having some really high quality samples in AudioLayer.

• Thank you guys. i dig deeper into gadget and maybe i get ns2 next :)

• @Cib said:

@mistkerl said:

So you mean you don´t live up to your avatar name :D ;)

not when santa is coming ^.^

• Good choice for NS2. I would add Caustic as well (if you dig closed environments). It is just a jump right in and get going app. New skin makes it seem so ... fresh.

Best of luck!

• edited December 2018

@McDtracy said:
    I popped in to see what this was about and got a rumor update for AudioLayer.

AudioLayer to add SFZ Import is it? I need to start looking for more SFZ's and see if I can convert SF2's to SFZ's with anything I already own. Looking forward to having some really high quality samples in AudioLayer.

For me, the main advantage of AudioLayer is streaming samples from disk with practically no sample size limit, which is what you need if you want a deep-sampled piano, drum kit or other acoustic instrument. It also supports release samples.
    The missing SFZ import is not a problem for me because renaming the imported samples following Virsyn's naming convention (you can automate that) will auto-map the samples properly.

What I am missing however is proper modwheel support in AudioLayer.

• edited December 2018

@kinkujin said:
    Good choice for NS2. I would add Caustic as well (if you dig closed environments). It is just a jump right in and get going app. New skin makes it seem so ... fresh.

But, important warning for all who want go more serious with patch design, sound tweaking - almost all synths in Caustic have completely wrong implementation of LFO/ENV -> Filter modulation.. It works completely different than it should work...

It's ok for just using presets or some random tweaking like "i turn this knob, let's see what i get", but in moment you want do some more meaningfull serious patch design, you hit the wall. It's broken, at least in Subsynth, Sawsynth and Bassline. Didn't try rest.