Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus MIDI Learn is here!

Comments

• User presets are coming in the next release; they're already in the beta version.

• Thank you for clarification, now it makes sense ;) And already applied as a tester :)

• @skrat You should join the beta by hitting up the link that Michael posted above. I realized yesterday after reading the other thread that you can't see stuff that I can as a tester.

All that said, I can tell you that midi learn of loading presets is not working in the beta build I have--the preset menu is blank even though I can see the presets if I open the AU sender.

• Yes, already applied, this is why this forum is so awesome :)

It's a pity that it somehow does not work now, but at least I can maybe help with providing feedback and see the results faster that waiting for the regular update.

Thank you guys again!

• Some AU have presets system compatible with AB (Ruismaker Noir...) some other not (Lorentz...), it’s on AU dev side. However, you still can save your own preset in latest beta and midi learn it. That can be of course a factory preset saved as user preset.

• ... And if you have any problems, do email me!

• This thread is making me so happy, thanks @Michael !! I'm honestly so excited to start integrating this properly into my home studio. Bravo!

*tears* it's so nice to see iOS growing up, finally ready to get out and play with the big bad world of MIDI.

• @Michael I'm finding that if I send 6-8 different MIDI CC values (they are on the same channel) at the same time, some of them don't seem to be picked up (or if they are, are inconsistent). I'm sending the same data in parallel to BM3 which is receiving it in it's own mixer and responding accurately, so it feels like it may be a software issue.

• @OscarSouth said:
    @Michael I'm finding that if I send 6-8 different MIDI CC values (they are on the same channel) at the same time, some of them don't seem to be picked up (or if they are, are inconsistent). I'm sending the same data in parallel to BM3 which is receiving it in it's own mixer and responding accurately, so it feels like it may be a software issue.

To follow this up wit a little more insight -- if I send one single CC value, that fader will move reliably (tested every individual fader). If I send two or more together, the results will be unreliable or non-functional (usually just the first fader moves and others don't react, sometimes 2-3 move and the remainder don't react but nothing guaranteed above the first.

I'm sending the MIDI CC values at literally, physically (well, digitally) the exact same moment.

• @OscarSouth said:

@OscarSouth said:
    @Michael I'm finding that if I send 6-8 different MIDI CC values (they are on the same channel) at the same time, some of them don't seem to be picked up (or if they are, are inconsistent). I'm sending the same data in parallel to BM3 which is receiving it in it's own mixer and responding accurately, so it feels like it may be a software issue.

To follow this up wit a little more insight -- if I send one single CC value, that fader will move reliably (tested every individual fader). If I send two or more together, the results will be unreliable or non-functional (usually just the first fader moves and others don't react, sometimes 2-3 move and the remainder don't react but nothing guaranteed above the first.

I'm sending the MIDI CC values at literally, physically (well, digitally) the exact same moment.

Interesting. Would you mind doing a thing: with the latest beta, open up Audiobus' MIDI Sync preferences, then set that same MIDI Source as a clock source. Then send your multiple CC messages, and finally tap "Get Support" in Audiobus' settings. I added some code that saves the incoming MIDI for the clock and sends it with the diagnostics, so I could diagnose MIDI clock receive issues, but it'll work with this as well.

• @Michael said:

@OscarSouth said:

@OscarSouth said:

Interesting. Would you mind doing a thing: with the latest beta, open up Audiobus' MIDI Sync preferences, then set that same MIDI Source as a clock source. Then send your multiple CC messages, and finally tap "Get Support" in Audiobus' settings. I added some code that saves the incoming MIDI for the clock and sends it with the diagnostics, so I could diagnose MIDI clock receive issues, but it'll work with this as well.

Will do! (tomorrow!). Thanks for looking into this -- will report back.

• edited March 2019

@OscarSouth said:

@Michael said:

@OscarSouth said:

@OscarSouth said:

Will do! (tomorrow!). Thanks for looking into this -- will report back.

Ok, this is done! You should have the email.

This is the receiving MIDI source:

I sent the following values in two 'hits' by scaling all the values together (you can see how in the code snippet below -- I basically evaluated the same code block twice while changing the master param):

Not really necessary to this issue but the MIDI data is being generated by evaluation of this block of code:

The named functions are actually just 'pre' partially applied functions that output an specific CC number when the function is fully saturated. Passing a value between 0-1 'completes' the function and a value between 0-127 is sent to the pre-applied MIDI channel/CC number.

I actually changed the code a bit since my initial problem to try and work around the issue short term, so the MIDI data going to channel 9 is going directly to the 'output' dial of AU instance(s). The channel 6 data is what was modulating the AB mixer. The CC numbers that seemed most problematic were 3 and 8, but all exhibited the behaviour. I believe that the channel 9 data was being sent as a single value to CC number 7.

By the way another comment relating to workflow is that it'd be handy to have a 'MIDI Learn' node that can be loaded as an output in the MIDI routing screen -- this could then override the 'global' listening that is default and allow for greater control of what data is being received as a control input for MIDI learn.

• @OscarSouth current beta has already midi learn node :)

• @Janosax said:
    @OscarSouth current beta has already midi learn node :)

Oh yeah haha, I'm on the currently beta but I didn't even check before posting! I should have just taken for granted that Michael is actually literally able to read minds and anticipate the future!!

• edited April 2019

Hi @Michael , I signed up for TestFlight but never got the invitation to download AB. Could you make sure it is sent to me so I can test what you’re working on?

Please keep in mind that we still really need a method by which to select/deselect MIDI sources so AB is not just listening globally during MIDI-Learning. Perhaps similar to how sources can be selected within AUM.

This is essential if we do any sort of MIDI mapping (for example I’m using MidiFlow standalone app.) But I also imagine being able to (instead of MIDI-Learn) manually input source/channel/CC# for each assignment might be able to accomplish this.

Please send me the invite so I can keep bugging you! Thank you so much for engaging your users and listening to their considerations.

• @cnsg_music he's been quiet lately. I hope it is a case of a well deserved holiday :)

What you're asking is part of the latest beta.

• Yep it's been an embarrassingly long time; combination of serial illnesses, parenting diversions and some unexpected difficulties perfecting MIDI sync. Another build coming in the next few days, will make sure you're on the receiving end.

• {"mention": {"name": "Janosax", "userID": 8443}}> @Michael said:

Yep it's been an embarrassingly long time; combination of serial illnesses, parenting diversions and some unexpected difficulties perfecting MIDI sync. Another build coming in the next few days, will make sure you're on the receiving end.

On the plus side, plenty of time to test the beta! And it's been solid for me 99% of the time. I get a bug every once in a while where an AUv3 doesn't display as expected. Requires rebooting AB3; not a huge ordeal. I have also seen occasional crashes around AUv3 preset selector. I'll send info next time I see these issues. That said, for such complex and powerful software that I push hard, remarkably solid.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    {"mention": {"name": "Janosax", "userID": 8443}}> @Michael said:

Yep it's been an embarrassingly long time; combination of serial illnesses, parenting diversions and some unexpected difficulties perfecting MIDI sync. Another build coming in the next few days, will make sure you're on the receiving end.

On the plus side, plenty of time to test the beta! And it's been solid for me 99% of the time. I get a bug every once in a while where an AUv3 doesn't display as expected. Requires rebooting AB3; not a huge ordeal. I have also seen occasional crashes around AUv3 preset selector. I'll send info next time I see these issues. That said, for such complex and powerful software that I push hard, remarkably solid.

Funny you should say that. I’ve had several long jams with a drummer and everything has been working super well. All stable other than occasionally DerVoco AU gives me a black screen but I can still see and interact with AB interface. Not sure who’s to blame here.

• @supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Funny you should say that. I’ve had several long jams with a drummer and everything has been working super well. All stable other than occasionally DerVoco AU gives me a black screen but I can still see and interact with AB interface. Not sure who’s to blame here.

Yep that's how it goes. Usually with very specific apps so I assume it's their issue.

• edited April 2019

@supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I actually had the same with multiple AUs and quite often on latest AB3 beta. But after some time, I experienced it never more. Also, definitely didn't experience it on a stable version before so I suspect this update had some problems. But I also don't think there was a new build in between, so it's a bit of a mystery how this issue disappeared to me... 🤔

• edited April 2019

@skrat said:

@supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I actually had the same with multiple AUs and quite often on latest AB3 beta. But after some time, I experienced it never more. Also, definitely didn't experience it on a stable version before so I suspect this update had some problems. But I also don't think there was a new build in between, so it's a bit of a mystery how this issue disappeared to me... 🤔

Jonatan mentioned in a thread here that there are some AU issues that are core to the standard itself. I have a theory, and it's just an inkling at this point, that a cache flush of the iPad solves some of the issues. I'll continue to see if there are patterns...

• I did recently (not in latest beta) resolve a blank au issue which was my fault, triggered when opening the preset list on iPhone

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@skrat said:

@supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Jonatan mentioned in a thread here that there are some AU issues that are core to the standard itself. I have a theory, and it's just an inkling at this point, that a cache flush of the iPad solves some of the issues. I'll continue to see if there are patterns...

In 2 years time when the new format will have come out we won't even want to look at this AU garbage!

• @Michael said:
    I did recently (not in latest beta) resolve a blank au issue which was my fault, triggered when opening the preset list on iPhone

In my case it was IPad though

• @supadom said:

@Michael said:
    I did recently (not in latest beta) resolve a blank au issue which was my fault, triggered when opening the preset list on iPhone

Same here.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

@Michael said:

Same here.

Ah. No theories there then! If you can reproduce it I'd love to hear how - otherwise if it happens again, there's a slight chance a sysdiagnose will reveal something:

1. Trigger a sysdiagnose by simultaneously pressing and releasing both volume buttons + sleep/wake (power) button. The sysdiagnose is triggered upon button release; you won’t see or hear anything, but it’ll be running in the background.
    2. Wait 10 minutes for the diagnostic gathering to complete
    3. Open Settings, and find Privacy, Analytics, Analytics Data, then search for the sysdiagnose entry in the list (alphabetically sorted).
    4. Tap the entry, then tap the share button at the top, and email the file to me. The file is quite large so I recommend doing this on wifi. If your email setup won’t let you send the (large) file, we might need to work out an alternative, like using Dropbox instead.
  • New beta build is out, and you should have an invite, @cnsg_music

• I see input levels can now be set in the app!