Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus MIDI Learn is here!

Comments

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@rs2000 said:
    Has anybody got BM3 and BeatHawk to play together properly?
    BeatHawk seems to follow AB3 transport well, but BM3 starts much too late and at a completely wrong tempo.

I'm pretty certain this is a BM3 bug. I get the same issue when trying to sync BM3 in other hosts too.

OK, thanks, I guess that's the case indeed.

• edited January 2019

@OscarSouth said:
    A quick addition to the request for offset (+/-) on the MIDI clock -- the clock is VERY good!! WOW!!

The note repeat here does drag a tiny bit behind the beat (which I guess is a result of the round trip latency from AB3 to device and back to AB3 to generate sound). It's only really noticeable with percussive sounds and microscopic nudge 'forward' in time would have everything lined up perfectly.

I'm also syncing Samplr and likewise I've never seen Samplr's synced tempo sit exactly on the desired value with no fluctuation whatsoever.

I have to say, I've actually never seen a MIDI clock work so well 'out of the box' -- my expectation for this feature fell very short of the quality that it actually delivered!

MIDI clock is where iOS apps differ by a large scale.
    Some are dead-tight without any drift over time, others can't even handle start and stop correctly and fluctuate around although the source is rock-solid.
    Good and tight examples are Groove Rider, Gadget, Loopy HD, Quantiloop Pro, StepPolyArp, DM1, DM2, Elastic Drums, Genome Midi, Stroke Machine, iSpark, Xynthesizr, Oscilab, Yamaha Mobile Sequencer, Glitchbreaks, LP-5, most SugarBytes apps.

A quick addition to the request for offset (+/-) on the MIDI clock -- the clock is VERY good!! WOW!!

+++1 for adding offset adjustment like in Groove Rider or Stroke Machine :smiley:

• @OscarSouth said:
    WOW! The pace you are adding new features and building out on AB functionality is phenomenal. Thank you! The MIDI features are more or less performance ready for me now.

Great! Hehe yeah I'm kinda in the zone this week!

I've also been keeping a text file of 'personal desires' for AB3.

Fantastic - I love getting these as, being the musical fraud I am and not really using my own stuff for what it's meant for, I can sometimes miss things!

Expect to see MIDI clock offset functionality in the next build on TestFlight.

• edited January 2019

Great feature wishlist @oscarsouth so +1 for me!! And yes AB midi clock is solid, will be even better with latency compensation slider :)

• @OscarSouth said:
    I have to say, I've actually never seen a MIDI clock work so well 'out of the box' -- my expectation for this feature fell very short of the quality that it actually delivered!

That's fantastic. It's actually The Spectacular Sync Engine if you remember that from days of yore; I decided to open source Loopy's sync code cos I was tired of crappy clock implementations, but then Link happened.

• More and more Audiobus become the ring to rule them all!!

• edited January 2019

@Michael said:

@OscarSouth said:

That's fantastic. It's actually The Spectacular Sync Engine if you remember that from days of yore; I decided to open source Loopy's sync code cos I was tired of crappy clock implementations, but then Link happened.

I do remember reading deeply into that when I was first getting deep into iOS music. I couldn’t figure out what the deal was at the time (“why can’t I find it on the app store”) but being much more savvy with open source and programming these days now get the schtick (in fact my next booked concert it actually performing WITH programming languages!! — this is what I’m preparing with AudioBus3 MIDI towards at the moment).

• @Michael said:

@OscarSouth said:

Link is good for some the SSE is good for others. Plus 1 for the clock offset slider.

Solid user base I see here. ;)

• edited January 2019

....one more thing! I know it is contentious but....

WE NEED A METRONOME!!! :open_mouth:

• Anyone else on beta 101 getting distorted sound from Synclavier Pocket? Simple sine wave sounds fine in standalone, distorts in AB3. Other synths not a problem. iPhone X

• @Jocphone said:
    Anyone else on beta 101 getting distorted sound from Synclavier Pocket? Simple sine wave sounds fine in standalone, distorts in AB3. Other synths not a problem. iPhone X

Is that happening in the App Store build too?

• @supadom said:

Yeah, coming =) I need to do a little remodelling in the picker UI first, so that I can add a "System" section alongside apps and AUs, for stuff like the system audio input/outputs, MIDI hardware, Virtual MIDI, and new features like a metronome audio source, a MIDI learn MIDI receiver for controlling from AU output, builtin MIDI filters and other things to come.

• @Michael said:

@supadom said:

Yeah, coming =) I need to do a little remodelling in the picker UI first, so that I can add a "System" section alongside apps and AUs, for stuff like the system audio input/outputs, MIDI hardware, Virtual MIDI, and new features like a metronome audio source, a MIDI learn MIDI receiver for controlling from AU output, builtin MIDI filters and other things to come.

To be honest, as far as I'm concerned just adding different metro sounds to loopy would do the trick, or even better upload your own :).

I know audiobus doesn't have a recording function in itself so metronome isn't necessarily a given so others might not have as burning desire for it as moi. :)

• edited February 2019

@Michael said:

@Jocphone said:
    Anyone else on beta 101 getting distorted sound from Synclavier Pocket? Simple sine wave sounds fine in standalone, distorts in AB3. Other synths not a problem. iPhone X

I haven't got time for uninstalling the Beta ATM but I did notice the same behaviour with Synclavier in AUM so maybe the defect rests with them?

• @Michael said:

@Jocphone said:

Are there other sound sources added in AB3?

I was strong that between a Model D bassline and a Ruismaker kick — pulling back Model D solved it so I assumed that I was just slamming the master output too hard with heavy low end.

• @OscarSouth said:

@Michael said:

@Jocphone said:

Are there other sound sources added in AB3?

I was strong that between a Model D bassline and a Ruismaker kick — pulling back Model D solved it so I assumed that I was just slamming the master output too hard with heavy low end.

This is with only Synclavier loaded. As I mentioned above it also happens in AUM so the issue is probably with Synclavier themselves.

• edited February 2019

Ability to record whole audio performance or by lane (synced or not) directly inside Audiobus should be very very useful!!

• @Janosax said:
    Ability to record whole audio performance or by lane (synced or not) directly inside Audiobus should be very very useful!!

Wholeheartedly agree! I’m also planning on a “continuous recording“ mode where it’s just always recording, and you can recover the last few minutes with the button press if something amazing happens. Watch this space

• @Michael said:

@Janosax said:

Wholeheartedly agree! I’m also planning on a “continuous recording“ mode where it’s just always recording, and you can recover the last few minutes with the button press if something amazing happens. Watch this space

Mind blown.

• That's great to hear and very needed, that and mixbuses. Being able to setup a master bus would be very welcomed. :)

• @Michael said:

@Janosax said:

Wow something similar to what Ableton is able to do with midi, but this time with audio, what you describe sounds like one of those ultimate producer’s dream!!! Really glad to see your enthousiasm pushing all those features in Audiobus too!!

• edited February 2019

Wow Michael ! That’s a winner for me! I loved that feature on the Roland Synths like the Fantoms so Gavin something like this would rock for those awesome moments!

We need this when doing midi as well! Midi would be cool in case you got something special too but wished you could change the sound :D <3 o:) o:) :* :o

@Michael said:

@Janosax said:

• Agreed; it'll do both, I think

• Three is not one morning that I don't wake up to a new beta version. Someth is telling me that Tyson junior must be finally letting you sleep through the night. ;)

• @supadom said:
    Three is not one morning that I don't wake up to a new beta version. Someth is telling me that Tyson junior must be finally letting you sleep through the night. ;)

Well for the most part :smile:

I do seem to be getting some momentum!

• @Michael said:

@supadom said:
    Three is not one morning that I don't wake up to a new beta version. Someth is telling me that Tyson junior must be finally letting you sleep through the night. ;)

Well for the most part :smile:

I do seem to be getting some momentum!

I gotta say, these recent advancements are extremely exciting!

The sync is exactly what I've been hoping for!
    and the midi preset and app switching are so killer! So truly thankful to you for your hard work. You have a real knack for realizing what seems an utterly impossible feat!

• Thank you!

• edited February 2019

Latency compensation works perfectly well, on this Blocswave GarageBand recording it’s set at 18ms and everything is well aligned. Works even better than Midi Link Sync as sync is effective from the first beat, and it’s much more tighter too :)

• Great to have Samplr syncing up without the need for Midi Link Sync!