Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus MIDI Learn is here!

Comments

• @Michael said:
    I can’t remember off the top of my head if this is active in the live version or just the development version, @OscarSouth, but yeah, this is how it works - state will be taken from the value of the CC if "press or release" is selected. If that’s not working for you then it will be in the next version :)

I can confirm that it works exactly as I hoped it would!

• @Michael said:
    I can’t remember off the top of my head if this is active in the live version or just the development version, @OscarSouth, but yeah, this is how it works - state will be taken from the value of the CC if "press or release" is selected. If that’s not working for you then it will be in the next version :)

I can confirm that it works exactly as I hoped it would!

• Oh my, the goodness that just dropped in the latest beta is blowing my mind.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Oh my, the goodness that just dropped in the latest beta is blowing my mind.

:D

• Good updates cheers @Michael looking forward to seeing some videos and updated manual to see how to use all this new functionality.

• Amazing. Does the Virtual MIDI bridge mean that we can map midi transport start-stop commands from connected hardware?

• @mistercharlie said:
    Amazing. Does the Virtual MIDI bridge mean that we can map midi transport start-stop commands from connected hardware?

No, you can already do that - the bridge is used for interacting with other apps via Core MIDI (like Touch OSC or MIDI Designer, for MIDI control, or apps like GarageBand which don't support any other MIDI standard)

• @lukesleepwalker said:

Just wait until you see the next one (currently under beta review)!

• @mistercharlie said:
    Amazing. Does the Virtual MIDI bridge mean that we can map midi transport start-stop commands from connected hardware?

Thinking about it again I realize that I’m barking up the wrong tree.

• @Michael said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Dude, not sure my heart can take it. :)

Between the virtual MIDI and manual bindings and the AU presets, my brain is just humming with the possibilities. Superb.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Good updates cheers @Michael looking forward to seeing some videos and updated manual to see how to use all this new functionality.

Bing bing bing :)

• I very much like Michael's specific 'flavour' of MIDI implementation (seen in Loopy, SampleBot and now AB3). Conceptually clean, incredibly flexible and very powerful

• @supadom said:
    Whaaaaat??!!

In all this preset loading via mid conundrum I’ve finally came to a genius (in my little world) idea to see if my Novation Circuit transmits data to bind to session preset changes....guess what?

It freaking does!!

So basically once all of the apps are fully loaded there’s only one button press for me to load both Audiobus and Circuit session. While on stage, you’ve just finished a song, press the required button and you’re away.

Let me say it again:

One, Uno, Ein, etc...button press and you’re rocking.

Thank you (again) @Michael and thank you @Novation for making it easy to make electronic music.

I'm still checking back against your file, but I think this is the happiest you've ever been on record :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:
    Whaaaaat??!!

In all this preset loading via mid conundrum I’ve finally came to a genius (in my little world) idea to see if my Novation Circuit transmits data to bind to session preset changes....guess what?

It freaking does!!

So basically once all of the apps are fully loaded there’s only one button press for me to load both Audiobus and Circuit session. While on stage, you’ve just finished a song, press the required button and you’re away.

Let me say it again:

One, Uno, Ein, etc...button press and you’re rocking.

Thank you (again) @Michael and thank you @Novation for making it easy to make electronic music.

I'm still checking back against your file, but I think this is the happiest you've ever been on record :)

Spot on. Got so excited that the thread got unpinned from the notice board!

• Yeah the Bus has definitely been moving up a few gears, lots of great updates recently :)

• @Michael With virtual MIDI, I can now reduce the number of AB3 lanes in each preset by using MidiFire or MidiFlow to "aggregate" the incoming controllers that I use. I have noted that presets now launch much faster when I launch them from my controller. This leads to a question: what has the greatest impact on how fast a preset loads? Is it the number of controllers or lanes? the number of AUv3s I have loaded overall?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @Michael With virtual MIDI, I can now reduce the number of AB3 lanes in each preset by using MidiFire or MidiFlow to "aggregate" the incoming controllers that I use. I have noted that presets now launch much faster when I launch them from my controller. This leads to a question: what has the greatest impact on how fast a preset loads? Is it the number of controllers or lanes? the number of AUv3s I have loaded overall?

You know you can assign more than one input per lane, right?

• edited January 2019

@wim Yessir! I've been breaking my controllers across different lanes so that I can assign to different AU receivers (and control via the mixer). I realize that my question confuses the point about lanes vs controllers. I meant that as two separate questions in terms of impact on preset loading. I assume that the number of lanes doesn't have an impact, but shouldn't assume, right?

I should note that I'm probably extreme in how I use controllers. I use up to six different Bluetooth controllers and 1 USB MIDI controller.

• @Michael said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Too good

• edited January 2019

@Michael is there a reason the virtual midi out port is now not showing under the midi receiver in the midi chain? I was using the virtual midi option there with AU midi sender apps at the start of the chain to get round the midi recording issue in NS2 among other uses it was quite handy.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @Michael is there a reason the virtual midi out port is now not showing under the midi receiver in the midi chain? I was using the virtual midi option there with midi AU midi sender apps at the start of the chain to get round the midi recording issue in NS2 among other uses it was quite handy.

I used to have circuit in the output of 3 midi lanes but now I don’t see that option anymore in the latest beta. Not sure if related but I can’t seem to find a way to reconnect it.

• @supadom said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    @Michael is there a reason the virtual midi out port is now not showing under the midi receiver in the midi chain? I was using the virtual midi option there with midi AU midi sender apps at the start of the chain to get round the midi recording issue in NS2 among other uses it was quite handy.

I used to have circuit in the output of 3 midi lanes but now I don’t see that option anymore in the latest beta. Not sure if related but I can’t seem to find a way to reconnect it.

The newest beta has just dropped. All back to normal here.

I have to fight the urge to mess with it instead of going to bed. No choice though, tomorrow’s the tax return day. Gotta be fresh, Goodnight!

• @Michael said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Well, you were correct! I had kinda expected previous and next presets (it's exactly what I was expecting), but the MIDI clock was a surprise. My question about preset loading performance above is even more pertinent now as optimizing against "lag" could make scenes work, in addition to the fab setlist-maker we already have here.

• Exactly what I noticed today as well while testing. I hope they come back cause I had a pretty nice Cubasis setup rocking.

@Jumpercollins said:
    @Michael is there a reason the virtual midi out port is now not showing under the midi receiver in the midi chain? I was using the virtual midi option there with AU midi sender apps at the start of the chain to get round the midi recording issue in NS2 among other uses it was quite handy.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @wim Yessir! I've been breaking my controllers across different lanes so that I can assign to different AU receivers (and control via the mixer). I realize that my question confuses the point about lanes vs controllers. I meant that as two separate questions in terms of impact on preset loading. I assume that the number of lanes doesn't have an impact, but shouldn't assume, right?

I should note that I'm probably extreme in how I use controllers. I use up to six different Bluetooth controllers and 1 USB MIDI controller.

Wow. I am just on the verge of making the move from cuff links to buttons.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

It's not what it appears based on the description. Four of the six controllers can fit in the front pocket of my jeans and you'd never notice as I walked by.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

It's not what it appears based on the description. Four of the six controllers can fit in the front pocket of my jeans and you'd never notice as I walked by.

I, who always have much, far too much, to say, say nothing :)

• @OscarSouth said:
    I very much like Michael's specific 'flavour' of MIDI implementation (seen in Loopy, SampleBot and now AB3). Conceptually clean, incredibly flexible and very powerful

Thank you!

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @Michael With virtual MIDI, I can now reduce the number of AB3 lanes in each preset by using MidiFire or MidiFlow to "aggregate" the incoming controllers that I use. I have noted that presets now launch much faster when I launch them from my controller. This leads to a question: what has the greatest impact on how fast a preset loads? Is it the number of controllers or lanes? the number of AUv3s I have loaded overall?

I've never really profiled it much, so I'm not sure. Lane count shouldn't matter so much as total number of AUs/apps to load. What have you found to be the slowest-loading things?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I, who always have much, far too much, to say, say nothing :)

I think you meant this for the Observations thread? ;)

• edited January 2019

@Michael
    Hey, I have a report back on the 'range' functionality that was recently added to a recent TestFlight version of the AB3 app.

The current implementation is sort of conceptually 'backwards' compared to what I expected from this -- I'll try to explain:

The expected behaviour that I spoke about before was to reduce the amount of parameter range movement on the software side for the same input on the hardware side. For example in AUM if I map it like this:

Then the full throw of the hardware fader will go from -inf dB at a CC value of 0 up to -0.6 dB at a CC value of 127. . As I'm working with AudioBus in performance, it's not really useful in this case to be able to take the faders above 0 dB, likewise there's no clear zero point on this (and many other) MIDI controllers and the throw of the faders is also pretty short on this pad controller (Akai Pro MPD32):

This is much preferable in a practical sense (in my opinion) to the current implementation where it is essentially only reacting to a subset of the available range on the hardware controller but still covering the entire range of the actual parameter (so the mixer fader is still hitting max -- a value range waaayyyy beyond what will ever be useful in a performance). Another way to think of it I guess is that I want to EXTEND the range of the control, so that to max out the parameter I'd actually need to send a CC value of something achievable like 180 or some such.

The functionality described above can be achieved by reducing the range on the hardware controller, but I don't think that's preferable as it explicitly binds a hardware preset to a software preset rather than allowing a generic hardware preset to control any software mapping. It also significantly reduces the resolution of that CC compared to the other way around, which actually increases the resolution by squeezing the 128 CC levels into a smaller parameter range.

There are probably loads of creative applications of the current method and they'd probably work well side by side, but the functionality I'm describing here (in relation to AUM's implementation) is what I was describing before and for me is a 'core' feature for performance control.

Hope that's understandable enough! The MIDI functionality is absolutely phenomenal and I'm working heavily with it every day in performance prep at the moment -- hopefully I can provide plenty of useful and constructive feedback!