Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Update to 12.1.3 beta 2 fixed stuttering in Model 15 and others

2»

Comments

• edited January 2019

@brambos said:

@osc101 said:
    The solution is likely related to both Apple as well as the app developers. I have all three 12.9 iPads, and the first generation did not suffer from the same pop/click/cpu issues as the 2nd and 3rd. Could be something related to how the additional cpu cores are accessed in the app code or IOS itself.

Apps have no say in such things. It’s purely up to iOS to manage how the hardware is used.

If there’s anything app devs can do (other than profile and optimize code) I’m interested to hear it.

Oh, did want to show you something. It seems like apple is now letting devs post compatibility issues without updating app, which you said wasn’t possible, I guess things have changed, which is a plus. By the way, still love all your apps, thanks again.

• @osc101 said:
    The solution is likely related to both Apple as well as the app developers. I have all three 12.9 iPads, and the first generation did not suffer from the same pop/click/cpu issues as the 2nd and 3rd. Could be something related to how the additional cpu cores are accessed in the app code or IOS itself. Could also be how these request interrupts are allocated and prioritized.

While we may not be a large consumer group in terms of quantity, we make up for that in revenue. For example, I’ve bought all three 12.9 iPads, a 10" iPad and a MacBook Pro. All of these are used for music production. Add in the dozens if not hundred or so music applications I’ve bought and my investment surely represents more than the average Joe who buys one tablet or iPhone and plays candy crush. I’m sure many here are the same.

We have more buying power than people may think and it may be time we banded together and leverage that position.

I certainly agree that the only way to get things done is to work together, I’ve seen a lot of complaints (including my own) not only on this forum but reddit and others, but not sure how much direct contact anybody’s having w apple. I mean, they obviously know of these issues, I would think it should be pretty easy for that company as a whole to quickly solve a problem like this. But, I’m not a programmer whatsoever, so maybe I’m just ignorant and assuming things, but we sure do give them lotsa money.

• @DEADCIRCUITGOD @osc101 I have to agree that we are an afterthought. This isnt the first time apple had pushed updates with broken audio.

I wonder if we could get more people to chime in.. maybe some developers too. A friend works for a really big tech review youtuber. I could reach out but it would be best to get as many people to post about there issues in one place first. Also links to those other threads would be good for more social proof. Its possible they consider saying something about the issues we have had throuout the years if its beefy enough.

• edited January 2019

Glad to be still on iPad mini 2 using 1 synth app at a time (not that I have much choice)...this thread reminds me of my days using Audiobus 1.0! The best advice I can give in retrospect is be patient and raise all the issues with the relevant people...and lower your expectations...

Since going to iPhone and Mac for music production I still haven’t finished anything anyway so your not missing much outside of the cutting edge of iPad tech!

• Is this fix for 2nd and 3rd gen Ipad pro’s or just the 3rd gen?

• Not able to update please help.

• @donaldcassey said:
    Not able to update please help.

It's not out yet. Hence "beta".

• @drez said:
    Is this fix for 2nd and 3rd gen Ipad pro’s or just the 3rd gen?

Ah, looks like 3rd gen only
    https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios_release_notes/ios_12_1_3_beta_2_release_notes

• @brambos said:

@osc101 said:
    The solution is likely related to both Apple as well as the app developers. I have all three 12.9 iPads, and the first generation did not suffer from the same pop/click/cpu issues as the 2nd and 3rd. Could be something related to how the additional cpu cores are accessed in the app code or IOS itself.

Apps have no say in such things. It’s purely up to iOS to manage how the hardware is used.

If there’s anything app devs can do (other than profile and optimize code) I’m interested to hear it.

At a minimum, Devs should be stressing the importance of a fix for this issue back to Apple. Music production apps are already a niche market and it's in the app developer's best financial interest to keep the size of this market from dwindling...as it will do without a solution.

On the technical front, I'll have to defer to you... assuming there are no legacy API/function/class issues that may be causing some of the problems. I'm guessing Apple is holding any time slicing prioritization algorithms pretty close to the vest.

• 12.1.3 public beta is available now for those interested in testing this out on the 2018 iPad Pro.

• @drez said:

@drez said:
    Is this fix for 2nd and 3rd gen Ipad pro’s or just the 3rd gen?

Ah, looks like 3rd gen only
    https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios_release_notes/ios_12_1_3_beta_2_release_notes

AFAIK the 2nd gen doesn't suffer from the same magnitude of issues as the 3rd gen. I'm using a 2nd and it can comfortably run many instances of AUv3 synths and effects, whereas on the 3rd gen you get crackles with just one or two.

• edited January 2019

FWIW: just ran 6 synth AU instances and 5 instances of Riffer in AUM with around 60% CPU on 2018 iPad Pro model. I think the problem is fixed 👍🏼

Synths:
    Model 15 ( with Dischord4)
    Layr
    Zeeon (with Dubstation)
    Quanta
    Aparillo
    SynthMaster One (with Dubstation, Grind)

• So exciting. Maybe this is the final beta??

• Let us hope. But so far so goooooood😏

• @echoopera said:
    FWIW: just ran 6 synth AU instances and 5 instances of Riffer in AUM with around 60% CPU on 2018 iPad Pro model. I think the problem is fixed 👍🏼

Synths:
    Layr
    Zeeon (with Dubstation)
    Quanta
    Aparillo

That lineup @60% is insane. Really looking forward to this update.

• @echoopera said:

Synths:
    Layr
    Zeeon (with Dubstation)
    Quanta
    Aparillo

Fabulous, full speed ahead

• anyone test beta 4? i believe its out.