Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis auria

Yea I know people have considered both daw's in the past, I did use the seach but could not find a solution for the best daw for guitar and adding tracks from drum session.....I will not be doing anything that's more than simple. I will just toss in audio from drum session and record guitar, no vocals or anything and at the same time with my iPad only having 16 gigs of space that is also a concern so which would suite me best cubasis or auria.....no electronic/synth type of stuff just raw bone crushing guitar

Comments

• If it's audio rather than MIDI then Auria all the way. Cubasis lacks some really basic audio editing features: you can't trim audio accurately because there's a relatively coarse invisible grid that doesn't allow for sample-accurate audio editing, and you can't crossfade which makes any kind of serious editing impossible.

Auria also has a far more fully featured mixer and is really good for editing and mixing audio. Cubasis does have many strengths, but for someone recording guitar it wouldn't be my recommendation.

• From the look of it you’d be using it more or less as a multitrack tape recorder, in which case either app would be fine. But as @richardyot says, if you are going to be doing some serious editing then Auria wins out.

• Garage Band = Free
    Audio Evolution Mobile Studio = $8
    Cubasis = $25
    Auria = $25
    Auria Pro = $50

General comparision of the 2 you asked for:
    Auria Pro - Best tool for mixing using In-App Purchased FabFilter Plug-ins
    Cubasis - Easy application to learn with a good user interface.

Good luck... Personally I'd climb up the price ladder starting with FREE. Garageband is an excellent DAW. Your multi-track recording requirements are pretty easy to satisfy. You will likely want one with a lot of useful videos to show you how to move from hitting record to uploading finished products to a streaming service.

• ‘I will not be doing anything that’s more than simple’ - then as @McDtracy said, just get Garage Band.

Cubasis gets better when you add the IAP Waves options imo. Auria Pro has lots more features and as @richardyot implys - is the audio King of iOS DAWs especially once you add all the Fab Filters. But these options all add up to a lot more money after the initial outlay and it doesn’t sound like you need them at this time (you will know when you do!).

• edited December 2018

You don't really need any of the IAPs for editing/mixing guitars though. Auria comes bundled with compressors, gates, EQs, a pretty decent algorithmic reverb and 2 limiters. Everything you need for a great and professional sounding mix is there in the base app.

If you want a bare-bones audio DAW then MultiTrack DAW works pretty well:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/multitrack-daw/id329322101?mt=8

(I would still choose Auria though, because it offers a lot more scope to grow)

• I'm not trying to get you to spend more money, but Auria with the Fabfilter Saturn IAP as guitar 'amp simulator' is the only direct in guitar solution I've been satisfied with after 5 years of trying everything, dedicated amp simulators included.

• edited December 2018

@oat_phipps said:
    I'm not trying to get you to spend more money, but Auria with the Fabfilter Saturn IAP as guitar 'amp simulator' is the only direct in guitar solution I've been satisfied with after 5 years of trying everything, dedicated amp simulators included.

What do you do for cab simulation in that setup? I guess it might be possible to add a convolution reverb cab after Saturn in the chain.

• edited December 2018

Although I'm a Cubasis user, I have to say that the Auria channel strip is fantastic, better than Cubasis plus all the Waves IAPs that hardly add anything in features, just a bit in quality maybe.
    So if it's audio only, I'd take Auria over Cubasis anytime.

16Gb is very limiting though, if you don't want to lose your original projects then you'll need a PC or Mac or a very fast internet connection to back up the gigabytes ...
    This is a good read:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/16929/whats-your-project-management-methods-backups-etc-for-your-ios-daw

• Cubasis' undefeatable grid can be a bummer. MultiTrack DAW is a nice lightweight app if you don't need all that AuriaPro has to offer.

And GarageBand is quite awesome--including its built-in drummers.

As others have said 16GB is a challenging size for an iPad on which to do music.

You mentioned $100 to spend elsewhere. You might think about getting yourself a gently used iPad with more storage that can run a more recent OS than iOS 10 so that you can run GarageBand--it'll cost you less than getting AuriaPro and Drum Session. And from what you have said GB seems like a good fit for you.

• I’m going to have to revisit Auria. I’ve just always found the Cubasis UI so much more pleasant to work in, and there’s something about Auria’s layout I never fully grasp. Plus, I have been using my new HX Stomp as an iOS interface, but it only seems to record audio properly in Cubasis and Audio Evolution Mobile. Auria and MTS have some weird distortion/crackle, and this is on iPad Pro 12.9”. Maybe I have a setting wrong.

Also revisited GB because of the update, and it’s actually pretty great. But is there still no proper way to freeze MIDI tracks to audio? That’s a pain if you load it up with AU instruments.

• Multitrack DAW is still my favourite when it comes to work on guitar/synth parts with a background playing.
    It's easy to mark sections for repeated (looped) recordings (punch in/out). MTD captures all takes and you may sort out stuff later, very flexible.
    To stich together sections it's not that great, though.

The most convenient app in that domain is (imho) the podcast centered Ferrite, which also allows AU fx and supports quite a smart way of graphic automation tracks.
    Ferrite is not advertized by it's developer for music, but it's touch handling is really nice for snip and paste jobs. It doesn't do things much different from most other apps, but simply does them more 'spot on', with improved touch results.
    It's free to try out, just limited in track count and length.

• Thats easy use garageband

• edited December 2018

@StormJH1 said:
    I’m going to have to revisit Auria. I’ve just always found the Cubasis UI so much more pleasant to work in, and there’s something about Auria’s layout I never fully grasp. Plus, I have been using my new HX Stomp as an iOS interface, but it only seems to record audio properly in Cubasis and Audio Evolution Mobile. Auria and MTS have some weird distortion/crackle, and this is on iPad Pro 12.9”. Maybe I have a setting wrong.

Also revisited GB because of the update, and it’s actually pretty great. But is there still no proper way to freeze MIDI tracks to audio? That’s a pain if you load it up with AU instruments.

When you tap on a track header you will see a pop up options menu, then choose « merge » which is GarageBand freezing. Will make a song copy for backup, and will render your track (midi, audio with fxs,...) as audio. Works extremely well with AU instruments and fxs, even all Audio Damage stuff render correctly. You can merge individual or several tracks.

• I have both Auria and Cubasis and I’m a guitar player. While Auria is undeniably powerful I just don’t get on with it, find it too fiddly and long winded - can’t seem to get stuff done. I find Cubasis so much slicker from a workflow perspective and overall much more conducive to creativity. That’s just me though, things could be different for you. Good luck

• Multrack DAW is super streamlined if all you want to do is what you described without all the fluff of something like Auria, Cubasis, or GarageBand. It’s an older app and hasn’t had an update in a long time, if that’s important to you. But, it works great and is universal too, whereas Auria and Cubasis aren’t.

• Another vote for Multitrack DAW. SO Easy to use. Though I have never figured out how to start recording at the right moment. What I mean is, it doesn't have a metronome count in. That I remember. Auria does. MT Daw has a Metronome, and has got all the basic stuff you need to lay down a track. IAA, audiobus. But, no count in? What do you do about that? I need it. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. And.......Helps me come in at the right time to record.

I think the developer is working on something. An upgraded version. New app. Haven't heard much about it though recently.

• With MTdaw , I leave the first measure blank and use that as the count-in.

@High5denied said:
    Another vote for Multitrack DAW. SO Easy to use. Though I have never figured out how to start recording at the right moment. What I mean is, it doesn't have a metronome count in. That I remember. Auria does. MT Daw has a Metronome, and has got all the basic stuff you need to lay down a track. IAA, audiobus. But, no count in? What do you do about that? I need it. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. And.......Helps me come in at the right time to record.

I think the developer is working on something. An upgraded version. New app. Haven't heard much about it though recently.

• edited December 2018

@richardyot said:

@oat_phipps said:
    I'm not trying to get you to spend more money, but Auria with the Fabfilter Saturn IAP as guitar 'amp simulator' is the only direct in guitar solution I've been satisfied with after 5 years of trying everything, dedicated amp simulators included.

What do you do for cab simulation in that setup? I guess it might be possible to add a convolution reverb cab after Saturn in the chain.

Yeah, I use the Golden Glue guitar IRs after Saturn. I'm not an expert on tones, and I've read about some of the higher end IRs that are probably superior than the ones offered in Auria, but at this point I'm rarely producing for an audience. The stuff that is for release and the occasional work for soundtracks goes to a producer/engineer with more talent and better gear than me.

It just comes down to personal preference for me...the Fab seems less of a gimmick and sounds better to me than pretty much every model available in Tonestack or any of the others. Especially for high gain. And it's a much tidier solution as a stable extra plug in the chain vs. dealing with the IAA bloat of the simulators.

• @oat_phipps said:

@richardyot said:

@oat_phipps said:

Yeah, I use the Golden Glue guitar IRs after Saturn. I'm not an expert on tones, and I've read about some of the higher end IRs that are probably superior than the ones offered in Auria, but at this point I'm rarely producing for an audience. The stuff that is for release and the occasional work for soundtracks goes to a producer/engineer with more talent and better gear than me.

It just comes down to personal preference for me...the Fab seems less of a gimmick and sounds better to me than pretty much every model available in Tonestack or any of the others. Especially for high gain. And it's a much tidier solution as a stable extra plug in the chain vs. dealing with the IAA bloat of the simulators.

Thanks for the clarification. I have a few free IRs from the net, God's Cab and a couple of Celestion speaker cabs, but I never got around to installing them in Auria. I should give it a go.