Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM, AB3, ApeMatrix for live performance?

I'm just getting into using iOS as an audio source for live performance. I don't need to do any recording, looping, backing tracks, or routing of audio from one app into another... all I need to do is just play my keyboards and hear sounds coming out of the iPad. I'm looking at apps like iMidiPatchbay, KeyStage, and Camelot Pro to route my keys to various apps in whatever split/layered combinations. In that context, what--if anything-- would AUM or AB3 or ApeMatrix do for me? Do any of them do things that are useful specifically in a live real-time performance environment?

Comments

• There’s a short list of bits of good advice for live performers somewhere, which hopefully somebody can either dig out or summarise.

AB3 offers a side tab for easy app switching, and also state saving for easy recall of setups that aren’t exclusively AU-based.

AUM is a fantastic mixer and host. Kind of a gold standard I suppose.

ApeMatrix is really, really amazing - I think of it more as a studio playground though. Although saying that, I’m not sure how fair I’m being. It’s very capable and stable.

Not much help huh. You can’t go wrong!

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

This is a somewhat old thread, but looked very interesting to me when I thought I might be being nudged back into live playing a while back.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/21282/ios-keyboard-rig-complete

• Their features overlap quite a bit, so it’s worth trying out all three to see which one fits you best. I most often use AUM, and AUM+AB.