Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence driving Gadget: can you export stems?

I'm thinking about buying xequence with all IAP to use Gadget without the terrible sequencer. (I spent about 45 minutes copying and pasting last night.)

I'm wondering, however, is it possible to export stems this way? Seems Gadget would need notes in the sequencer.

If I have to record midi into Gadget from xequence that's fine, providing it is not too difficult.

Comments

• edited December 2018

@dustgod said:
    I'm thinking about buying xequence with all IAP to use Gadget without the terrible sequencer. (I spent about 45 minutes copying and pasting last night.)

I'm wondering, however, is it possible to export stems this way? Seems Gadget would need notes in the sequencer.

If I have to record midi into Gadget from xequence that's fine, providing it is not too difficult.

Xequence+Gadget is a great combination, but you can't export stems. There are a few ways to work around that:

• Automate your mixdown and capture the result in AUM or other app that can capture the stereo output stream from Gadget.
    • Iteratively solo each track and capture the result in AUM or similar app.* *
    • A variation of the version above: export your finished MIDI from Xequence and import it into the DAW of your choice (such as Auria Pro or Cubasis) and capture the soloed tracks (one at a time) as audio tracks (which you can do by either freezing or actually recording the audio).
    • record MIDI from Xeq into Gadget. As others have suggested, you can record the MIDI from Xequence into Gadget and then use Gadget’s native stem export. One can run into issues if notes cross over the Gadget’s 16 bars per scene limit.
  • Yes you can export stems in one go. Export > iTunes > All Tracks. The files end up in the files app > on my iPad > Gadget.

• @wim said:
    Yes you can export stems in one go. Export > iTunes > All Tracks. The files end up in the files app > on my iPad > Gadget.

But if all your MIDI is in Xequence, not Gadget, won’t you just get empty stems if you try exporting the Gadget song?

• @wim said:
    Yes you can export stems in one go. Export > iTunes > All Tracks. The files end up in the files app > on my iPad > Gadget.

Stem exporting only works if you are sequencing in Gadget. My understanding was that he wants to sequence in Xequence. If you sequence with another app, you have to capture audio since there is no 'project' to capture.

I suppose you could try recording the MIDI into Gadget from Xequence and then export, but unexpected things can happen when you do that in my experience since Gadget will break up the incoming stream into 16 measure chunks.

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

Doh! Sheesh. What wuz I thinking?

I remember now. Indeed,when I did that, I had recorded the Xequence midi into Gadget, then exported.

• I wish multi-port audio out was a more common feature. If Gadget had it, you could just run Xequence and record the Gadget output into multiple tracks in AUM or Auria. Alas...

• edited December 2018

@wim said:

I remember now. Indeed,when I did that, I had recorded the Xequence midi into Gadget, then exported.

Did that too and that worked great. But I suppose this can be issue with some long Xequence notes recorded over two Gadget patterns...

• How complicated is getting the midi from Xequence into Gadget sequences?

• @Janosax said:

@wim said:

Did that too and that worked great. But I suppose this can be issue with some long Xequence notes recorded over two Gadget patterns...

I’ll edit my note and add it (with a YMMV note).

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@dustgod said:
    How complicated is getting the midi from Xequence into Gadget sequences?

Exporting / importing midi is impractical due to Gadget’s goofy import behavior. With link enabled and both apps loaded in AudioBus, it worked well for me. AudioBus global transport works great for this.

I have tried recording any long sequences iinto Gadget, though. That could be an issue. If I have time, i’ll Try.

• edited December 2018

@dustgod said:
    How complicated is getting the midi from Xequence into Gadget sequences?

If remember correctly, just use midi clock to sync Xequence and Gadget transport. Then create enough patterns scenes in Gadget and arm its record button and play Xequence song. Everything will be recorded on individual Gadget tracks in one pass. Then export stems :)

• No need for midi clock if you use Link and AudioBus. Perfect sync and start/stop.

I just tested, and as long as you set up enough 16 bar scenes, longer recording will just continue until it runs out of places to put the midi.

It was just a light test, but it worked flawlessly with four midi channels recording simultaneously. Automation recorded too. I didnt do an a/b comparison for playback accuracy.

• edited December 2018

@wim said:
    No need for midi clock if you use Link and AudioBus. Perfect sync and start/stop.

I just tested, and as long as you set up enough 16 bar scenes, longer recording will just continue until it runs out of places to put the midi.

It was just a light test, but it worked flawlessly with four midi channels recording simultaneously. Automation recorded too. I didnt do an a/b comparison for playback accuracy.

You’re right first time I’ve used that trick Xequence didn’t have Audiobus support, so this is why I remembered using midi clock. I think it’s the best way to do stems really with even some Ableton Live export capabilities (copy paste parts from session to arrangement view).

• Btw, I posted a recording I made using > @wim said:

No need for midi clock if you use Link and AudioBus. Perfect sync and start/stop.

Did you have held notes that cross scene boundaries? I seem to recall that was a problem for me and necessitated my use of other methods.

• edited December 2018

ewps

• @espiegel123 said:

@vitocorleone123 said:
    ewps

?

Oh i'd made a post, figured out I was wrong in what I was saying, but couldn't delete it. Thus: "ewps". :)

• @vitocorleone123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@vitocorleone123 said:
    ewps

?

Oh i'd made a post, figured out I was wrong in what I was saying, but couldn't delete it. Thus: "ewps". :)

:) I thought maybe I wasn't up on some cool internet musician slang

• @espiegel123 said:
    Did you have held notes that cross scene boundaries? I seem to recall that was a problem for me and necessitated my use of other methods.

Nope I didn’t have any of that. You’re right, that would probably be an issue.