PSA: Don't update to iOS 12.4 if you use apps in AB output slot or IAA apps that use the mic.
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34030/urgent-psa-hold-off-updating-to-ios-12-4-if-you-use-apps-in-output-slot-in-audiobus

Fastest, least painful way to get wavs/samples OFF iPad onto an SD Card...

I'm looking for the fastest, least painful, most direct way to get samples I make on iPad onto an SD card so I can use them on my TR8S drum machine.

Things that make this more of a pain in the ass than it needs to be:
1) The TR8S has a storage mode, but won't work on iOS as...
2) iOS sucks when it comes to external storage! If I connect an SD card reader or use "storage mode" on TR8S, ios seems to only allow you to connect to "photos" app, and only "sees" images or videos.. :(

So the only thing I can think of is to use something like the web server in AudioShare and transfer sounds from iPad to PC, then PC to TR in storage mode or via an SD card reader...

I'd really like to see if there's some trick I'm not figuring out that would allow me to go directly from iPad to Tr8s...

Any brilliant ideas?

Comments

  • I rarely see it mentioned anymore, but possibly GoodReader could work for you.

    https://itunes.apple.com/app/id777310222

    Another option would be to save/upload your samples to iCloud (or another cloud service) and have an SD card in another internet connected device with a program to running to sync your samples folder to the SD card.

  • @telecharge said:
    I rarely see it mentioned anymore, but possibly GoodReader could work for you.

    https://itunes.apple.com/app/id777310222

    Another option would be to save/upload your samples to iCloud (or another cloud service) and have an SD card in another internet connected device with a program to running to sync your samples folder to the SD card.

    Yea, but there's still a damn monkey in the middle... Kinda hoping someone says: "_there's this cable that a monk in Tibet whittles from the ankle tendon of virgin Yetis that were killed under a full moon... You can get it on eBay for $10 with free shipping."
    _

  • Do you have the lightning to USB adapter? Maybe there's a SD card drive/hub you can connect to it that'll work.

  • @telecharge said:
    Do you have the lightning to USB adapter? Maybe there's a SD card drive/hub you can connect to it that'll work.

    That will only work for photos.

    I use a Hootoo Tripmate Nano access point, you can plug usb devices into it, then access files through the app that comes with it or from other file managers like Documents by Readdle.

    It’s not the no man in the middle solution the OP is looking for, but it works and has many, many other uses. It’s about two inches square and ways an ounce or two, it’s always in my bag, but totally unnoticeable.

    Sometimes I use the more robust HooToo unit that includes a battery bank. It’s somewhat faster and can power higher consumption hard disks, but is more bulky.

  • @wim said:

    @telecharge said:
    Do you have the lightning to USB adapter? Maybe there's a SD card drive/hub you can connect to it that'll work.

    That will only work for photos.

    I use a Hootoo Tripmate Nano access point, you can plug usb devices into it, then access files through the app that comes with it or from other file managers like Documents by Readdle.

    It’s not the no man in the middle solution the OP is looking for, but it works and has many, many other uses. It’s about two inches square and ways an ounce or two, it’s always in my bag, but totally unnoticeable.

    Sometimes I use the more robust HooToo unit that includes a battery bank. It’s somewhat faster and can power higher consumption hard disks, but is more bulky.

    OK, that's a pretty funky device... And pretty cheap. May give it a shot... Thx!

  • wimwim
    edited December 2018

    Hella lots of uses for it. You know how hotel WiFi often has that annoying need to sign in every time your device goes to sleep. Set this up, connect it to the WiFi, then connect to this and problem solved.

    Caveat: it isn’t especially fast.

  • I have the GeekGo adapter and can read/write audio to SD cards that I use with my zoom recorder. See this thread https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/24436/geekgo-microsd-and-sd-card-reader-for-ios/p1

  • Cool beans. That looks like a much better solution. (Though the HooToo AP is handy for other reasons too.)

    Nice little stocking stuffer there. 🤶

  • @Rebus_Knebus said:
    I have the GeekGo adapter and can read/write audio to SD cards that I use with my zoom recorder. See this thread https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/24436/geekgo-microsd-and-sd-card-reader-for-ios/p1

    Whoa... while it appears to be yeti-free, it’s what I was looking for!

  • Got an old Raspberry Pi sitting around bored to death?
    You could plug in a WiFi stick, attach a second tiny SD card (USB) reader and load a barebones OS onto the boot SD card.
    If you use the image from samplerbox.org, you'll have a MIDI sample player too :smiley:
    When it's booted, you could make it search for AudioShare's web server automatically and whenever there are files in a certain AudioShare folder, the Raspi would transfer these files automatically to the second SD card from the TR08.
    It's a process similar to what I formerly did with jailbroken iPads, except that now you don't have the same level of security and no direct access to app's data anymore, therefore the workaround still using AudioShare.

Sign In or Register to comment.