Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Cool thanks for the heads up.

• Thanks for sharing! I don’t have this already! Great gift :)

• Wow! Thanks for the heads up and thanks a lot to Positive Grid. Such a gift!

• Ta for the heads up, heard much about it (not all stellar), time to bust the guitar out and see for myself.

• Savvy business move as the reviews have been dire and it will probably make more money giving the app away and selling IAPs

• I’ve heard so much bad about it that even though free I hesitate to get it. My impression has been that’s even for free it’s a waste of space. I think I’ll hang back for a day or so to hear other people’s experiences.

• Thank you very much. I do not know why I need this application, but I downloaded it. Probably greed :)

• Well I downloaded this I didn't open it up and mess around. I did tonight...oh.

Well, first, I appreciate Positive Grid for the comp and second, I know my Air 2 is a little long in the tooth, but....I couldn't even play the sample grooves without heavy crackles and then trying to edit and use the other features brought it on even worse.

As I say, I know an Air 2 next to a brand new iPad Pro 11" is going to make a difference but on my Air 2 full Auria projects, multiple instances of Moog apps and other high CPU apps run just fine.

Has anyone with an iPad Pro 2017 or 2018 used X Drummer ever or just now after this free promo? I mean I know I need an upgraded iPad sooner than later but I'm curious as to how other devices have handled this app.

Unrelated: I strive to get 3 years out of my smartphones since I first began using them in 2009; I've favored Android's for phones, still do, though Apple & iOS has clearly won me over for tablets & music production apps. Well my latest phone, the Galaxy S6 was 3 years old this month and running like dog doodoo, so the wife and I got new Galaxy Note 9's during a Black Friday sale. Now we're able to finance them at 0% with Verizon which matters to me because if I'm going to drop $1000 (yes, that's what the Note 9 goes for list price) on a new device it's going to be a new iPad Pro. I say all this because as much as I dig my new phone when a performance issue like above happens with my iPad I now get itchy thinking "Well the phone's on payments, so a new iPad wouldn't be too obscene" even as my said Air 2 handles 95% of my music production needs...Sorry thinking out loud.

• @JRSIV It runs fine on my Pro 2017, the results are a bit uninspired though.

It’s a bit worrying that just playing the samples spikes a device that should be able to handle that. Bloatware suspected.

• @JRSIV said:
    Well I downloaded this I didn't open it up and mess around. I did tonight...oh.

Well, first, I appreciate Positive Grid for the comp and second, I know my Air 2 is a little long in the tooth, but....I couldn't even play the sample grooves without heavy crackles and then trying to edit and use the other features brought it on even worse.

I downloaded it onto my Air 2 the other day to try it out & it ran fine, but even though it sounded quite good & was potentially useful, i deleted it pretty soon after, as it doesn't have Ableton link, & i couldn't find any obvious way to sync it up. Tried it with Aum, Apematrix & AB3, but couldn't find a way to do it. Maybe i was missing something?
    Maybe you have some zombies, or such like running in the background & a soft re-set would solve the crackling issues for you? You probably don't need a new iPad!!!

• I downloaded it too, even bought some of the iAPs, but the CPU spiking was crazy, even on a 2017 iPad pro. Ultimately what made me delete it was that there's no sync options, although I did get it to sync from Cubasis, but again, the CPU spikes made it pretty much useless. As a single instrument I may add.
    So, I'm not sure what Positive Grid is thinking here, since their BIAS range are top notch, but XD needs some serious work under the hood. A shame, because the sounds were ok.
    Actually because of all this, I went ahead and multisampled an EZdrummer2 Kit into AudioLayer and it sounds 100 times better than anything I've heard on iOS so far (for acoustic drums) lol.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    @JRSIV It runs fine on my Pro 2017, the results are a bit uninspired though.

It’s a bit worrying that just playing the samples spikes a device that should be able to handle that. Bloatware suspected.

@Iso @AH_MediaDesigns Thanks you guys. One reason I went over getting the new phone is that having a piece of the latest tech in one genre can make you overthink the need for the latest in another. As I said, usually my Air 2 still performs great for my needs.

I did neglect to say I'm on iOS 12.1 What version are you guys running if I may ask?

• As mentioned, 2017 iPad Pro, latest iOS. I really want to like XDrummer, but the CPU spikes and lack of sync with extremely limited midi options are a deal breaker. Also, I find the marketing a bit weird with most emphasis on the "find a groove as you play" feature. Realistically, I usually know exactly what kind of groove will work for my guitar playing and normally doesn't take but a few seconds to find something to get me started with.
    Anyway, /rant off. If Positive Grid can do something about the CPU load and make it play nice with other apps, they'd have a decent drum app on their hands.

• Latest iOS for me.