Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New RM-1 Wave Modulator effect by Numerical Audio/Kai Aras

Comments

• Woo hoo!
    And only $3!
    B)

• nice presentation - reads interesting :+1:

• Can't resist to buy it. The interface is awesome.

• At first I thought it was a synth, but then realized it's an effect. Cool - interested to hear what others think. $3 is hard to skip....

• Connectivity:

• Standalone (MIC, USB audio)
    • IAA / Audiobus
    • AUv3 Plugin

Sold! :)

• O.k. that´s nice! I love the GUI just from teh first look. Moving waveforms in real-time.....yes! Very nice!
    Numerical Audio offers some of the nicest GUI for me.

• @Daveypoo said:
    At first I thought it was a synth, but then realized it's an effect. Cool - interested to hear what others think. $3 is hard to skip....

That may have been my fault, I thought it was a synth too!

• @ka010
    I am playing with this cool new app and am wondering...
    Is there any way to filter out of kill the carrier signal when the input signal is quiet?
    In both RM modes, it does this already.
    In AM, FM, and PM modes, the carrier keeps sounding when I stop playing into the input.
    It seems like it should work like the RM modes for these 3 other modes, but I don’t really know.
    Is the carrier signal supposed to connect to the audio out in these modes, or should it only effect the input signal and produce the wet signal at the audio out?

• Nice. Looks like this one might play a role in the tc-data/apeMatrix metasynth.

I’m copying the link over from the other thread, so we don’t double up. Thanks @White

http://itunes.apple.com/dk/app/rm-1-wave-modulator/id1436855751?l=da&mt=8

• So the 'envelope' is actually tracking the level of the incoming audio so it can be applied to filter-cutoff and carrier pitch?. And midi (as long as the host supports sending midi to the effects) can be used to 'play' the modulator frequency?(with tracking set to mid)...

I'm too tired to try but sooner or later it will likely be on my iPad...

• What sound does it make?

• @Samu said:
    So the 'envelope' is actually tracking the level of the incoming audio so it can be applied to filter-cutoff and carrier pitch?. And midi (as long as the host supports sending midi to the effects) can be used to 'play' the modulator frequency?(with tracking set to mid)...

I'm too tired to try but sooner or later it will likely be on my iPad...

That sounds about right from what I am hearing as I experiment with this.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    What sound does it make?

I am getting some cool flavors of distortion so far. Still tweakin’ out, though.

• Fun with auGenX

• Once I realized this was a ring modulator, I picked it up pretty quick because I realized I could recreate a setup I used to use with my hardware.

I had a Rhodes electric piano and a Moogerfooger ring modulator, mostly because I love Jan Hammer's solo on Billy Cobham's Red Baron. You can get some really interesting rhythmic tremelo effects with the carrier wave and LFO set to love frequencies. Also, if you "tune" the carrier to the root note of whatever key you're playing in, you get a really awesome, nasty distortion-like grit from the ring mod.

Beautiful stuff - forgot how much I missed my Rhodes/Moogerfooger combo....

• Tried it with Future Drummer in ApeMatrix - it sounds really good. Lots of filtering and other stuff to play with here.

• It's a pretty fun app to experiment with. Been testing it for ages. Surprised he went that low with the price. Not sure if that's a launch special or not... but I mess with it all the time. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but other times you get these really wonderful surprises.

If you buy this and are a little bit confused... launch the stand alone version first... there's a good walk through that goes into detail about what's going on. Recommended :)

• @skiphunt said:
    It's a pretty fun app to experiment with. Been testing it for ages. Surprised he went that low with the price. Not sure if that's a launch special or not... but I mess with it all the time. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but other times you get these really wonderful surprises.

If you buy this and are a little bit confused... launch the stand alone version first... there's a good walk through that goes into detail about what's going on. Recommended :)

Any thoughts on the carrier wave being on 100% of the time with the non-RM modes?

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@Daveypoo said:

@skiphunt said:
    It's a pretty fun app to experiment with. Been testing it for ages. Surprised he went that low with the price. Not sure if that's a launch special or not... but I mess with it all the time. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but other times you get these really wonderful surprises.

Any thoughts on the carrier wave being on 100% of the time with the non-RM modes?

Yeh, you should be able to completely mute the internal carrier wave. If not, that’s a glaring omission. I still hafta get it tho.

[edit] nvm, I misunderstood the whole concept of the app. :D

• @Daveypoo said:

@skiphunt said:

No, but what originally confused me is that I thought the carrier was the signal within RM-1 but it's the other way around, the input signal is influencing the RM-1 signal. I had to get some schoolin' regarding how the app works. The walk through I mentioned was my suggestion. Maybe the answer is there?

Also, ping @ka010 with questions... he tends to be very responsive, but there's a time difference so be patient

• Rough demo... very rough! Please mind your volume and ears. I put a Limiter on it, but it squeals like a pig! Love it! And the whole video has nothing but a plain saw wave from Zeenon as the input. Can’t wait to try other stuff. Guess it would make a cool vocoder if it taked audio input? Sweet... (Pac-Man makes an appearance around 4:40)

• @haulin_notes cool, I'll share this on @ka010 's twitter feed too

• $3 now. Sold. Thank you for showing us it's range for effects madness.

• knobs are a little tiny in portrait mode @ka010

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

Ha ha ha ha! I assumed this was completely the opposite of what it is. I assumed that the onboard oscillator was the modulator, and the input was the carrier it modulates. I thought it was a way to FM, RM, etc an incoming signal.

I don’t actually have any use for this the other way around! Oh well. lol

@ka010 there’s your next app idea for free! You’re welcome. ;)

• It sounds quite iVCS3 like, which I'm testing the new version as we speak, you can do a similar thing with it but wonder if there's any advantage with this version.

• @Carnbot said:
    It sounds quite iVCS3 like, which I'm testing the new version as we speak, you can do a similar thing with it but wonder if there's any advantage with this version.

so is the upcoming version the full synth but available as an Au FX as well as Instrument?

• edited December 2018

@RockySmalls said:

@Carnbot said:
    It sounds quite iVCS3 like, which I'm testing the new version as we speak, you can do a similar thing with it but wonder if there's any advantage with this version.

so is the upcoming version the full synth but available as an Au FX as well as Instrument?

yeah :)
    although I'm not wanting to put people off buying this, I'm sure it has a difference in what it can do, and obviously it's more streamlined as it's not including a full synth etc

• @Daveypoo said:

@skiphunt said:

Shit, it makes sense now that I see that the input is, for instance AMing the internal oscillator. No input, no AM, but the oscillator keeps on going. It needs some sort of trigger/gate maybe.