Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio remixing experiment using only Video? Any examples, apps or tips?

Ok, please kindly bear with me while I try to describe this possibly odd or experimental idea (that I’m sure many have done before. Just not finding any examples ATM)... ;)

While watching YouTube videos (especially synth and gear demos), for a lark I sometimes “re-mix” them manually. Like jumping back and forth, repeating certain riffs or spoken phrases. Like “Auto-tune the News” without the auto-tuning part, if that makes any sense. Of course the usual way would be to throw the audio into a DAW, and edit, cut, slice, add effects, etc. The Simpler instrument in Ableton Live would make doing this, erm, simpler.

But I’m curious about using the video and audio together as a fun experiment, even if the audio is not pristine quality. I’ve read some past threads here, and the options seems to be the iOS apps Lumafusion, Vee For Video, Beat Time!, Wizibel (by Klevgrand), and the iOS DAW Auria/ Auria Pro (which seems to have video importing along with its excellent audio editing). I own none of these apps yet. I just got a bunch of free iOS video editing apps today, and will test them.

So... anyone have any video links or experiences or advice about such? I could post a sloppy example of a screenshot video synth demo I recently did if my question leaves you scratching your head. (It was a few recent demos I did that made me think that the half-assed video could be chopped and remixed into an even more half-assed song! :D ) Things like video scrubbing/“vinyl scratching”, reverse audio, slo-mo, multi-tracking, repeats, adding effects... that’s kind of the gist.

Thanks for reading... Thoughts?

Comments

• @Liquidmantis said:
    Lots of awesome in this Andrew Huang playlist

Thanks for your reply! That’s close to what I was thinking. Didn’t see him editing video, more audio I think. But that’s one way to do it. There are several different techniques in general perhaps. Like when people record multiple song takes, then edit into a video. I’m thinking more of a collage, where i just jam while recording to video. Then go back and find bits and bobs of anything interesting. Like I mentioned above, this process doesn’t NEED video. But somehow i think it might make things... I don’t know... more tangible? Visual? It might be latent synesthesia, lol!

(BTW, came across this website i my search. Maybe you’ve seen this? http://astronaut.io/
    It shows a stream of short clips from random YouTube videos with low view counts. Like a rambling joke with no punchline. And even more fascinating because of its unfiltered nature.)

• Yeah, sorry I don't have more to offer, but you have me thinking I might want to dabble with this, too. :D

It's been a while since I watched those Andrew Huang videos, but he does video collages with the footage from the sound sample, so he's definitely editing video in parallel, just in Ableton (seemingly, anyway) Am I misunderstanding what you mean?

• @Liquidmantis said:
    Yeah, sorry I don't have more to offer, but you have me thinking I might want to dabble with this, too. :D

It's been a while since I watched those Andrew Huang videos, but he does video collages with the footage from the sound sample, so he's definitely editing video in parallel, just in Ableton (seemingly, anyway) Am I misunderstanding what you mean?

👍Ha! That’s about it. Feel free to post something like that if you create it! I will too, with any info on helpful apps. I was thinking that the more “visual” the music video that is being edited, the easier it would be. Like the PPG WaveMapper app, which is very visual. I wonder if some kind of animation or designs would help when editing audio clips (in Ableton and such) as a visual reference.