Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ppg synth recommendations

I make ambient / down tempo stuff and I'm considering ppg infinite, as it seems to have a great sound for pads/drones/soundscapes and much more, but I see that wave mapper and wave generator get a lot of attention as well....what do you guys think would be a good place to start with the ppg fam

Comments

• Heck, even phonem looks pretty interesting

• WaveMapper is my favourite, but if you want to delve deep, infinite might be more suitable for your stated use.

Love the PPG apps, but the AU versions are quite lacking. For your use though, especially with infinite, you will be spending time in stand alone making sounds :)

• WaveGenerator probably is the most easy approach if you (really) want to understand the depth of wavetable synthesis.
    WaveMapper is instant gratification on experiments without even caring about details.
    Infinite puts these sounds into a wider modulation context that's unique to PPG and not available in any other synth (at least in IOS).
    All 3 are winners running the same sound engine of remarkable quality.

• I like Infinite the most. All are good but Infinite is a special for me. Awesome for ambient. Also one of the best sounding synths for me ever (for it´s special character).
    Sadly the IOS version doesn´t offer the import/resynthesis features but still offer so many things to explore.
    The workflow is a bit not so user friendly in all PPG apps for me and there is much to learn. But if you take the time you might fall in love. Wolfgang is a genius and a very nice guy.

• There’s not a bad one amongst them but as @cib says, the workflow can be a bit weird. Patch saving and navigating around the app, loading/creating wave tables etc. Also worth noting that the AU interfaces are limited - it’s really a player for what you’ve done standalone (although lots of parameters are exposed and available when hosted). I understand WaveGenerator the best and like it the most, probably because I understand it the best. They can all sound good. Phonem included, which I understand the least :)

• edited December 2018

DO not forget that wavemapper and phonem etc stuff can be imported into Infinite

• I would say:
    Wavemapper if you like to get your hands dirty with sound design and processing your own samples in different ways,
    Infinite if you're OK with tweaking presets and prefer a faster workflow.
    WaveMapper is the most powerful,
    Infinite is the easiest one to use.

Both will give you the typical PPG sounds.

• Don’t forget Mini-Me! I mean MiniMapper! :D
    Works on iPhone (only PPG app to do so). Actually does a couple things WaveMapper can’t... like move multiple icons simultaneously. And have a 5 octave plus keyboard. Only about 2 dollars. Might be best synth bargain in app store... besides Aparillo.

Quick semi-musical demo showing the fun morphing possibilities:

• hey ! thanks to all of you for your reponses and videos!
    great insight!
    i mostly will be tweaking presets, as im not good at starting from init, mostly due to my time limits for making music, i do understand alot about systhesis but im no master by any means, so i do prefer to find a preset that is close to what im going for and see if i can make it more what i hear in my head...

it sounds like wave mapper and infinite are everyones favs over all, and from what im gathering infinite would be best to start with presets and tweak , and is great for ambient... sunrizer is my fav synth right now, but i want a companion for it, ...and with infinite im ok with making changes in the standalone to use in the AU, so that when i load it as an AU i can pretty much have it ready to go as is, that should help speed up things when it comes to actual song making!

so infinite it is! unless someone thinks i should look else where to get soundscapes! i have SM1, but i do not have synthscaper, i have soundscaper but just cant get into it , but i hear synthscaper is a good choice as well...

• synthscaper does not apper to be AU tho

• edited December 2018

S> @reasOne said:

hey ! thanks to all of you for your reponses and videos!
    great insight!
    i mostly will be tweaking presets, as im not good at starting from init, mostly due to my time limits for making music, i do understand alot about systhesis but im no master by any means, so i do prefer to find a preset that is close to what im going for and see if i can make it more what i hear in my head...

it sounds like wave mapper and infinite are everyones favs over all, and from what im gathering infinite would be best to start with presets and tweak , and is great for ambient... sunrizer is my fav synth right now, but i want a companion for it, ...and with infinite im ok with making changes in the standalone to use in the AU, so that when i load it as an AU i can pretty much have it ready to go as is, that should help speed up things when it comes to actual song making!

so infinite it is! unless someone thinks i should look else where to get soundscapes! i have SM1, but i do not have synthscaper, i have soundscaper but just cant get into it , but i hear synthscaper is a good choice as well...

With WaveGenerator you can import pictures from the Photos app and convert them to wavetables. This is a convenient easy way to explore the different timbres you can get from the presets by using different wavetables.

infinite adds some synthesis elements so you can add non-harmonic content to your sounds versus the other PPG apps which do not due to the inherent harmonic nature of wavetable synthesis.

• @reasOne said:
    hey ! thanks to all of you for your reponses and videos!
    great insight!

Well then... soundscapes you say (rolls up sleeves)

There's LayR (beautiful app) as well as

• @reasOne said:
    synthscaper does not apper to be AU tho

The developer has said it will be along with the rest of his apps.

• @gusgranite said:

@reasOne said:

!

This is great news :) I’ll immediately temper my expectations, though, and assume that he just means the Scaper apps and not AltiSpace/Master Record.

To avoid disappointment.

Igor is a treasure.

• Wow infinite is amazing 😱😱😱😱😱 why did I wait so long, deff gonna get em all over time, this synth is huge and exactly what I needed rn !!
    Big ups to everyone here for the push 😁

• @audiblevideo I have Layr! It's rad!! Hard for me to really dig into tho so I avoid it, but when I do use it I can create full tracks complete with drums with it

• @haulin_notes said:
    Don’t forget Mini-Me! I mean MiniMapper! :D
    Works on iPhone (only PPG app to do so). Actually does a couple things WaveMapper can’t... like move multiple icons simultaneously. And have a 5 octave plus keyboard. Only about 2 dollars. Might be best synth bargain in app store... besides Aparillo.

Quick semi-musical demo showing the fun morphing possibilities:

Deff gonna grab this for the xs max !

• I grabbed all the presets from the ppg website and I gotta say there is some magic in there! This synth has a very unique sound and those harmonics are great, kinda gives me that fm feel!
    ppg will be getting my support on all their synths for sure, and since they are all au , just makes it amazing

• @tomato_juice said:

@gusgranite said:

@reasOne said:

!

This is great news :) I’ll immediately temper my expectations, though, and assume that he just means the Scaper apps and not AltiSpace/Master Record.

To avoid disappointment.

Igor is a treasure.

Oh fuck. Don’t wanna get my hopes up but master record and fx as AU would really rock my world. I’d buy both all over again.