Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Medley jumps on subscription bandwagon too.

Become a Medley Member....

No thanks.

So long and thanks for the fish.

Comments

• Trying the two-week trial. The sounds are okay, but Auxy sounds better. However, the major subscription killer for me is...only up to four bars per section? Are you kidding me?

• Medley! They’re delusional. Subscription has its place. However, that place is in software that has true value. I would only pay a subscription for software that I used for at least 5 hours each and every week. Medley just ain’t going to get that much usage.

I think 2019 will be the year that subscription becomes the norm for iOS music. At least it will separate the wheat from the chaff.

• @Beathoven said:

I think 2019 will be the year that subscription becomes the norm for iOS music. At least it will separate the wheat from the chaff.

Maybe a good choice. Every single app that goes to subscription model, DELETE.

So in the end, we will have only a few but useful apps. Less is more, welcome 2019

• @Beathoven said:
    Medley! They’re delusional. Subscription has its place. However, that place is in software that has true value. I would only pay a subscription for software that I used for at least 5 hours each and every week. Medley just ain’t going to get that much usage.

It won't become the norm if people resist.
    We control the market with what we purchase.

• Okay, so in spite of the 4-bar-per-section limitation, I still went ahead and gave it the good ol' "college try". Afterall, one cannot judge an app based on its pricing scheme alone. However, I'm not going to sugarcoat it - this app isn't even worth the bother, no matter if it's subscription or freemium-with-one-time-fee-IAP-packs.

1 - The UX is awful. What other app requires two fingers to simply scroll in the piano roll?! Trying to extend notes works only half the time. The other half, you're either pasting notes you didn't want to paste, or invoking the selection tool. It's very cumbersome and tedious.

2 - The internal effects are confusing in that reverb works half of the time, and the delay doesn't work right at all. "1/16th note delay" my arse when the delays are spaced out further than that.

3 - The synth-based sounds are alright, but the sounds that are supposed to be realistic sound like shit. Don't even get me started on the limpy stock drum kits. In short - there is nothing "premium" about these sounds.

So yeah, what do you get when you take Auxy, slightly alter how it functions, slap on a Gadget colour scheme, borrow a couple of functions from Garageband, replace the good sound packs with cheaply-made rubbish, and suck out all of the fun? Yep, that's Medly in a nutshell (at least in my opinion).

• @rs2000 said:

@Beathoven said:
    Medley! They’re delusional. Subscription has its place. However, that place is in software that has true value. I would only pay a subscription for software that I used for at least 5 hours each and every week. Medley just ain’t going to get that much usage.

No Apple controls the Appstore and as long as Apple promotes subscription models devs will fall for this "more money" rethoric.

• tjatja
    edited December 2018

As I wrote elsewhere, the subscription model is the end of the iOS world as we know it.

We will see lots of small islands of Apps that get enough attention and subscribers to continue.
    We will see lots of Apps that don't get enough subscribers and will die.
    We will see some Apps with lots of subscribers and the developers can literally get rich.

But in summary, this leads to every single iOS customer to only have and use a small handful of Apps - exactly those which he realy needs and can pay for.

And how much can and will people spend?
    I think, 40 Euro per month maximum.
    As much as a telecommunication contract.

Calculate this as number of Apps:

8 to 20 Apps maximum.

For each iOS customer.

And finish

• Wanted to delete Medley, but apparently I did so already :D

• What is melody?

• Already deleted, but now double deleted :D

• be interesting to see which apps I bought on Black Friday throw a subscription model at a later date.

• @rs2000 said:

@Beathoven said:

+1 just don’t use any subscription based app and perhaps they will change their minds. They don’t realize that iOS musicians use lot of apps, so it’s not an option for us.

• Slowly, slowly, my iPad is getting more space on it, as I delete the apps that has gone this route. Also, the more the Devs go Subscription based, its making me think "Do I buy Another app, just in case this happens, after I have paid Full price for it already?".. (on other apps)... I can understand to a degree, as Devs have to put food on the table & pay the Bills.. But apps would certainly not be enough to pay a Mortgage with... It's a shame really, as this might help diminish the music side of iOS eventually over time?... Its getting me slightly paranoid too in trusting in Devs (not all mind) also, whether I continue with iOS or not at the end of the road?... We will see in time I suppose?... Enjoy it for now, then delete it later, when that day comes.... But think more of, "Do I really,really need this?"....

• edited December 2018

@Carnbot said:
    Already deleted, but now double deleted :D

Triple!

• Hi guys - Medly dev here :)

Reading over the thread, some mixed (mostly negative) reactions and I completely understand.

But to clarify, if you're a free user or paying user, nothing about our introduction of Subscription changes anything. Other than the ability to purchase packs separately, we didn't remove anything, just add to what we currently offer (including a trial).

Also, Apple didn't push us towards Subscriptions. And our prior model was doing really well and growing, as we're a fully bootstrapped team paying salary just from Medly's revenue. There was a lot of reasons for us to move towards Subscriptions, particularly because we wanted to release new sound packs more frequently, and our old model didn't allow that. The cost would just be too high, especially for new users.

@jwmmakerofmusic thanks for the feedback, we definitely have a long road to improve. But if you've deleted Medly, I suggest you make sure you cancel your subscription as it doesn't happen automatically right now (I and other devs wish Apple would fix this..).

• @Janosax said:

@rs2000 said:

@Beathoven said:

+1 just don’t use any subscription based app and perhaps they will change their minds. They don’t realize that iOS musicians use lot of apps, so it’s not an option for us.

Disagree.

• iOS musicians use only few apps if you look at the whole picture. We know exactly what we want/need, and willing to pay higher prices for those (at least in most cases). This is the exact opposite of what apple is chasing - endless browsing through the store, running into cheap (seemingly cheap) apps that trigger impulse purchase.
    • Apple sales less and less in the past years, which would indicate price drop. We see the opposite of that - Apple is big enough to be able to ignore their customers, specially minority groups like iOS musicians. We have 0 control/influence. We'll buy or rent if it's something we like or need, or move on, but Apple doesn't really give a f***.
  • @baldajan said:
    Hi guys - Medly dev here :)

Reading over the thread, some mixed (mostly negative) reactions and I completely understand.

But to clarify, if you're a free user or paying user, nothing about our introduction of Subscription changes anything. Other than the ability to purchase packs separately, we didn't remove anything, just add to what we currently offer (including a trial).

Also, Apple didn't push us towards Subscriptions. And our prior model was doing really well and growing, as we're a fully bootstrapped team paying salary just from Medly's revenue. There was a lot of reasons for us to move towards Subscriptions, particularly because we wanted to release new sound packs more frequently, and our old model didn't allow that. The cost would just be too high, especially for new users.

@jwmmakerofmusic thanks for the feedback, we definitely have a long road to improve. But if you've deleted Medly, I suggest you make sure you cancel your subscription as it doesn't happen automatically right now (I and other devs wish Apple would fix this..).

It's astonishing to hear, that Medly could sustain a whole team of developers, even if only 2 or 3.
    Interesting information, thanks!

Otherwise, I cannot see a reason to cancel a subscription just because an App got deleted.
    That's a strange logic, of course this should never happen!

You may for example install or uninstall based on your needs on one or more devices: install there, uninstall here, and so on.

You may even deleted on all your devices, but that can as well be a temporary thing, as you need the space to render videos from your holidays or whatever! Need to try this App that required 8 GB? -> delete all other stuff.
    All of this is totally normal and constantly happens.

Nothing of that shall ever touch the subscription, of course!
    Again, a very strange and useless idea.

• @tja said:

@baldajan said:

It's astonishing to hear, that Medly could sustain a whole team of developers, even if only 2 or 3.

Otherwise, I cannot see a reason to cancel a subscription just because an App got deleted.

You may for example install or uninstall based on your needs on one or more devices: install there, uninstall here, and so on.

You may even deleted on all your devices, but that can as well be a temporary thing, as you need the space to render videos from your holidays or whatever! Need to try this App that required 8 GB? -> delete all other stuff.

I should have clarified. Right now, it’s not explicit that a subscription will not be cancelled when you delete an app. So some users would try a trial or pay for a month, decide they hate it and delete the app, not realizing their subscription is still ticking. I personally would like to see a warning or option when you delete an app that has a current active subscription, for transparency. No one wants to be billed for months for an app they don’t use.

• Launchpad, blockswave and Groovebox seem to manage to bash out new content as iap every month some of which I buy some of which I don’t

• tjatja
    edited December 2018

@baldajan said:

@tja said:

@baldajan said:

I should have clarified. Right now, it’s not explicit that a subscription will not be cancelled when you delete an app. So some users would try a trial or pay for a month, decide they hate it and delete the app, not realizing their subscription is still ticking. I personally would like to see a warning or option when you delete an app that has a current active subscription, for transparency. No one wants to be billed for months for an app they don’t use.

Ah, yes. Sorry for misunderstanding.
    If you delete an App, it would be good to get a reminder of the subscription.
    Agreed.

• tjatja
    edited December 2018

@BiancaNeve said:
    Launchpad, blockswave and Groovebox seem to manage to bash out new content as iap every month some of which I buy some of which I don’t

I have some understanding for Apps with growing content to be subscription based.

I would not like to buy 500 packs for 5 Euro each and need to buy some more every month.

This is something where an optional subscription could provide you will all this content.

But this should not affect the basic usage of the App - we saw such Apps already.

In regards to Medly, I just hoped it could get full MIDI support, to be my new Auxy.
    Without that, I have no use for the App at all - and would neither buy packs nor a subscription.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Launchpad, blockswave and Groovebox seem to manage to bash out new content as iap every month some of which I buy some of which I don’t

I can’t comment on a particular app, but from our research and our own metrics, as a developer adds more packs, they reduce the value of prior packs. Effectively, they’ll hit a ceiling. We haven’t hit that point, but it was clear we were going to.

• @tja said:

But this should not affect the basic usage of the App - we saw such Apps already.

We didn’t take anything away from our free offering and have no intentions to. We technically added to it as now everyone can try all sounds and samples for free for 2 weeks.

• @baldajan said:

Bloody hell, if I knew you'd be coming here, I'd have been nicer in my tone. 🤭 I apologise for any offense I may have caused as it was late last night and I was crabby, lol.

Anyways, I know most people's knee-jerk reaction is "f-ck subscriptions", but I myself find content-based subscriptions a good model. It helps with content development, app development, licensing fees when licensing is involved, and I don't have to invest hundreds into an app's environment all at once only to be burned in the end. ( https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/29984/korg-module-updated-premier-vintage-organ-has-been-discontinued Start at page 1 from the top.)

I'm sorry to say that I did cancel the Medly one, just for now. Hopefully in the future, Medly can have the 8 bars per section, import of user samples into the drum and melodic instruments, a better UX (one-finger scrolling, less fiddly to edit notes, etc), and some nicer-sounding content. Auxy unfortunately set the bar unfairly high when it comes to subscription-based musical sketchpad apps. Guess I'm a little spoiled. 😂

• @baldajan said:

Fair.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@baldajan said:

Bloody hell, if I knew you'd be coming here, I'd have been nicer in my tone. 🤭 I apologise for any offense I may have caused as it was late last night and I was crabby, lol.

Anyways, I know most people's knee-jerk reaction is "f-ck subscriptions", but I myself find content-based subscriptions a good model. It helps with content development, app development, licensing fees when licensing is involved, and I don't have to invest hundreds into an app's environment all at once only to be burned in the end. ( https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/29984/korg-module-updated-premier-vintage-organ-has-been-discontinued Start at page 1 from the top.)

I'm sorry to say that I did cancel the Medly one, just for now. Hopefully in the future, Medly can have the 8 bars per section, import of user samples into the drum and melodic instruments, a better UX (one-finger scrolling, less fiddly to edit notes, etc), and some nicer-sounding content. Auxy unfortunately set the bar unfairly high when it comes to subscription-based musical sketchpad apps. Guess I'm a little spoiled. 😂

Decent.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

I actually read these forums on and off - even though I don't usually participate :smile: And I do appreciate candid opinion.

• @jwmmakerofmusic

Forgot to mention, on iPhone, you can edge swipe for quick one finger scrolling. :smile:

• @baldajan said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic

Forgot to mention, on iPhone, you can edge swipe for quick one finger scrolling. :smile:

Ah, that's rather cool actually. :) But yeah mate, the UX needs a bit of an overhaul, but as I pointed out also, I am rather spoiled. :lol:

@baldajan said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

I actually read these forums on and off - even though I don't usually participate :smile: And I do appreciate candid opinion.

Such a professional. :) But yeah, like said, I could've been nicer about it.