Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Record back to iPad

I have some effects pedals hooked up to my iPad but I want to capture my synths going thru them back on the iPad, I have a scarlett 2i2, behringer USB 10 channel mixer, Apple cck, lots of cables...i use AUM, Ab3, cubasis, stagelight etc... I feel like I have everything I need and my iPad has a headphone out 😁, any tips on routing to record back ?

Comments

• I could record to Ableton, then put the samples in audioshare etc etc etc but would prefer to skip the MacBook if possible

• The problem I can't figure it is when I plug my Scarlett 2i2 into the cck I can't select my headphone port in AUM anymore

• That is because the audio interface is bi-directional. The OS only allows one audio interface. I think that AB3 may have a multi-routing feature that allows routing output to something other than the sanctioned interface.

Is there a reason not to loop back to your Scarlett? Just take the outboard effect outputs and feed them into Scarlett's inputs? (You will have to be careful not to set up a feedback loop, however).

@reasOne said:
    The problem I can't figure it is when I plug my Scarlett 2i2 into the cck I can't select my headphone port in AUM anymore

• How many separate input/output channel does the USB mixer present to IOS ?
    (most such mixers just offer 1 stereo pair)
    If you can adress the Scarlett's channels in mono, you could send the synth output to channel 1 (connected to pedal input) and plug the pedal's output to channel 2 (for receiving back in IOS), but it would be restricted to a single mono channel.
    That's ok with distortion or similiar effects, but leaves out most reverb/delay stuff (which usually return stereo).
    With a 4 channel interface it would be no problem. I often use the iCA4+ that way.

• Doesn't Audiobus let you use the headphone output of the ipad while using an interface?

If you don't need to do it in real time, I email myself what I want to process and use my phone to play the audio through my FX back into the iPad. Ghetto but it works and is often faster than setting up a loopback.

• @BroCoast said:
    Doesn't Audiobus let you use the headphone output of the ipad while using an interface?

If you don't need to do it in real time, I email myself what I want to process and use my phone to play the audio through my FX back into the iPad. Ghetto but it works and is often faster than setting up a loopback.

I'll have to try it with Audiobus and see, only tried AUM

• @Telefunky said:
    How many separate input/output channel does the USB mixer present to IOS ?
    (most such mixers just offer 1 stereo pair)
    If you can adress the Scarlett's channels in mono, you could send the synth output to channel 1 (connected to pedal input) and plug the pedal's output to channel 2 (for receiving back in IOS), but it would be restricted to a single mono channel.
    That's ok with distortion or similiar effects, but leaves out most reverb/delay stuff (which usually return stereo).
    With a 4 channel interface it would be no problem. I often use the iCA4+ that way.

It has ten mono channels

• edited December 2018

@reasOne said:

@BroCoast said:
    Doesn't Audiobus let you use the headphone output of the ipad while using an interface?

I'll have to try it with Audiobus and see, only tried AUM

It's in Audiobus settings called "Multiroute Audio." I'll test it out in a sec but it makes your headphone output channels 3+4 IIRC.

• @reasOne does it show those 10 channels as separate input choices in AUM and how many hardware output channels appear in AUM ?
    There's at least a small chance that you can adress main out, record out, phones as separate destinations.

• Try plugging your headphones in last, or at least after you plug in your main interface and have AUM running. That should enable the HP out. At least it works that way for me.