Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I have a Stagelight question

I really wish this trend of having no actual manual stops. I don't want to have to watch a tutorial every time I can't find something . I'd like to be able to be able to do a word search in the pdf manual and find the exact spot there's a mention of it in the manual...
Anyway, it's pretty intuitive for the most part, but there seem to be two sections....a sequencing section with tracks that go left to right and then and then there is a second page that looks and flows much like Ableton live, with loops and a little play button directly on the loop. I thought they were part of the same song/project, so I wrote a part and then on the top right you can switch between the two and the icon is at the top right and looks like a grid of filled in squares, but when I hit play, the song will play whichever window I have open, when I want both to play at the same time....for instance one is a drum loop I programed , and other is a drum loop in the other window that I chose from the library....why are there these two different windows in the same project, if I can't play them at the same time, or how can I get both to play together .....? Thanks for your help and I'm on standby ready to explain with pix if you don't get what I'm trying to ask.

Comments

• The loop view is more for performing your parts or arranging scenes to work out how you will arrange your song or just launch clips in whatever order. The song view is where you actually arrange a song like any linear DAW. You can long press, copy and paste loops, record your performance of them as seoerate loops, whole scenes or create right from the linear view.

• Yes, that’s just the way the app is conceived. The loop view and timeline are two different animals. I like it that way otherwise it’s confusing as hell (see BM3). One can record what is happening in the loop view into the timeline. It’s a perfect workflow for me.

• BTW, you can set scenes in the loop page to follow after each other. So it is possible to construct a full song in the loop page without using the timeline.

• @wim said:
    BTW, you can set scenes in the loop page to follow after each other. So it is possible to construct a full song in the loop page without using the timeline.

Just happened past this. So sweet. I haven’t left loop mode since.

• For me as a guitar player, this setup really clicks! Grooving to a loop and adding more stuff works great and keeps me flowing; then play it together and send to time line in the order in which it was conceived <3 :#

@wim said:
    Yes, that’s just the way the app is conceived. The loop view and timeline are two different animals. I like it that way otherwise it’s confusing as hell (see BM3). One can record what is happening in the loop view into the timeline. It’s a perfect workflow for me.

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

The only part I hate about it is if you toggle follow off, it resets the loop count for the scenes! That’s a big deal killer for me right there.

It would be nice to have a loop count for each pattern within a scene too, but that’s splitting hairs.

• @WillieNegus said:
    The loop view is more for performing your parts or arranging scenes to work out how you will arrange your song or just launch clips in whatever order. The song view is where you actually arrange a song like any linear DAW. You can long press, copy and paste loops, record your performance of them as seoerate loops, whole scenes or create right from the linear view.

yes but can I take things from one window and play them at the same time in the other window?

• @bedheadproducer said:

@WillieNegus said:
    The loop view is more for performing your parts or arranging scenes to work out how you will arrange your song or just launch clips in whatever order. The song view is where you actually arrange a song like any linear DAW. You can long press, copy and paste loops, record your performance of them as seoerate loops, whole scenes or create right from the linear view.

yes but can I take things from one window and play them at the same time in the other window?

No. I don’t think that’s possible. Haven’t used Ableton extensively. Is that possible there? If so that would be bad ass. You could live remix and mashup all kinds of shit. @MatthewAtStagelight what say you? Possible now? Future?

• @bedheadproducer :Agreed 100%. No manual? I don’t get it . They say they’re concentrating on videos but I haven’t seen any new ones for a few weeks now. I really like the app but Matt from Nanostudio had his ready when the app was released.

• @Telstar5 said:
    @bedheadproducer :Agreed 100%. No manual? I don’t get it . They say they’re concentrating on videos but I haven’t seen any new ones for a few weeks now. I really like the app but Matt from Nanostudio had his ready when the app was released.

True. But, Is it true how you mentioned Openlabs is only 2 guys? I assumed they were much larger myself but if they are small like you mentioned before...consider Stagelight is cross platform so they’d have hands full supporting so many apps across platforms.

• @bedheadproducer said:

@WillieNegus said:

No.

• LoopBuilder and Timeline playback are currently separate. This was really an ease of use decision, but we could update this in a future version.

As for us not having a manual, I hear your points and I agree, we need one regardless of our size. I'm not going to make any commitments on time here, but I'll do my best to get something going on this very soon. @OpenLabstechsupport

• It's basically just like Ableton in that sense, in Ableton I used to make clips then drag em over to the linear view to arrange, but then I just started using could only,,, it's deff the way I prefer to work that's why I am enjoying stage light and Modstep so much

• BM3 sort of allows this simultaneous behavior, but it’s hella confusing how it’s implemented. If you’re in the timeline certain patterns can be being driven by the timeline, and some are playing from the scenes mode. The only visual clue what is going on is the tracks are darker color than if the version in the timeline is playing. Touching a little tiny play icon to the right of the track returns it to timeline control. Touching a pattern in the pattern list at the left overrides both the timeline and the scenes.

Just trying to describe it makes my head spin. It would need to be much better done in Stagelight than BM3 for me to be happy to see it.

@bedheadproducer how would you expect it be have if the timeline had one pattern playing and then you start looping a different pattern in the song mode? Mute the timeline? Overlap the patterns? How visually would you know looking at the timeline that something different, or additional is coming from the loops? How would you switch off the loop from the timeline? Lotsa complex decisions and assumptions there. I think I prefer it separate.

• @MatthewAtStagelight can you do the follow thing in scene mode, and hit record and have it record everything into the timeline mode? like abelton? > @WillieNegus said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@WillieNegus said:

No. I don’t think that’s possible. Haven’t used Ableton extensively. Is that possible there? If so that would be bad ass. You could live remix and mashup all kinds of shit. @MatthewAtStagelight what say you? Possible now? Future?

• @MatthewAtStagelight is there a way to use lfo and arpegiator on 3rd party au plugins?

• @eross said:
    @MatthewAtStagelight can you do the follow thing in scene mode, and hit record and have it record everything into the timeline mode? like abelton? > @WillieNegus said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@WillieNegus said:

I can answer that one. Yes.

• ooooo sweeeeeet! thanks man > @wim said:

@eross said:
    @MatthewAtStagelight can you do the follow thing in scene mode, and hit record and have it record everything into the timeline mode? like abelton? > @WillieNegus said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@WillieNegus said:

• Such a great app!

• i just tried, but it did t work. how do you set it up? > @wim said:

@eross said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@WillieNegus said:

• edited December 2018

@eross said:
    i just tried, but it did t work. how do you set it up? > @wim said:

@eross said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@WillieNegus said:

Long tap the record button, and then select “Record to Timeline”

• @eross said:

@eross said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@WillieNegus said:

From the loop view, long-press the Record button, then select Record to Timeline.

• @MatthewAtStagelight : Just my 2c.. At this point speaking for myself I’d rather wait and get a really comprehensive manual so please take your time .. And of course as many videos as you can muster .

• edited December 2018

Planned but not yet.

@MatthewAtStagelight is there a way to use lfo and arpegiator on 3rd party au plugins?

• I think I was misunderstood. I’m fine with working in the normal time line that goes from left to right . I just want be able to grab the loops fron the other view and paste them into tracks that goe from left to right . On their own tracks of course

• Hi, I asked this in the other SL thread, but maybe it got missed:-
    @MatthewAtStagelight Is it possible to record Au Effect automation yet?

I’ve been able to draw automation for Audio Damage Replicant 2 (works perfectly), but SL doesn’t seem to let me record it in. Am I missing something? Or has recording au effect automation not been added yet?

Many thanks!

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@bedheadproducer said:
    I think I was misunderstood. I’m fine with working in the normal time line that goes from left to right . I just want be able to grab the loops fron the other view and paste them into tracks that goe from left to right . On their own tracks of course

Press and hold the pattern until a menu pops up, then select copy. Touch and hold the timeline where you want it, then select paste from the pop up. And vice-versa.

Or, record a “performance” in the loop view to the timeline.

• You can definitely do what you’re wanting to do with SL @bedheadproducer Long press record, the actual loops and pretty much everything in the GUI to explore and expose new controls. How to do it is also written here a few times already.

I’m just happy you’re digging into SL. I’ve checked out a few of your submissions around here. Grade A skills. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with SL. Did you know that Sampleverse is MPE? So far, it appears that guitar players are getting best out of MPE expression so again, looking forward to hearing what you come up with.

• For me the record button has latency and is a tad small and in an awkward place personally.

I still can't delete a track due to my own inability to locate the method.....LOL

I don't count.....

• oh freaking awesome!! thanks > @Rodolfo said:

@eross said:

@eross said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@WillieNegus said:

Long tap the record button, and then select “Record to Timeline”