Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can I use a bus-powered interface without a hub with the USB + Lightning CCK?

I'm looking for a smaller bus powered interface with MIDI and basic audio I/O for my smaller second setup (I have an 18i8 on my main setup) and was looking at e.g. Zoom U-24, Alesis IO2 or NI Komplete 6.

My question is, can I power these using the USB + Lightning Camera Connection Kit? i.e. does the Lightning part supply power to the USB also?

If not, can anyone recommend an interface which can be powered from the iPad? It's not the end of the world if I have to use a power adapter but I'd rather avoid it if possible!

Comments

• Yes you can use it without a hub but you’ll still need to apply power to the iPad in order for the device to cut on. Lightning doesn’t apply enough power. With the Zoom U24 you can use batteries. It’s the interface I use. Now with the new iPad Pros, USB C outputs enough power for me to use the interface and a keyboard without supplying any power to the iPad or using a hub

• Thanks – so if I connect the a USB-Lightning from the power brick to the CCK, and a USB->USB from the CCK to the audio interface, will it provide enough power?

• @tdmusic said:
    Thanks – so if I connect the a USB-Lightning from the power brick to the CCK, and a USB->USB from the CCK to the audio interface, will it provide enough power?

That works for me with a Presonus USB AudioBox. Qhen home I just connect a power adapter to the CCK Lightning port but using a 5V battery pack powers the whole setup for hours. I have 10K mAH and 30K mAH batteries. Many battery packs have extra USB ports and my MIDI controller can get power too that way. I use a Yamaha MT-BT01 Bluetooth adapter to get the MIDI into the iPad but I could also use 5-PIN DIN MIDI to the Audio Interface I just hate excess cabling that can be avoided. It's wise to velco the Battery Pack down to something so it doesn't pull the whole rig to the ground with a bump.

• Cool - thank you!

• @tdmusic said:
    Thanks – so if I connect the a USB-Lightning from the power brick to the CCK, and a USB->USB from the CCK to the audio interface, will it provide enough power?

Yup that usually does the trick.