Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Formula needed

If I play a drum loop sample that was recorded at 125 bpm on a key in a sampler (no time stretch and loaded on a C), what formula would help me work out what the bpm would be as I play certain notes up or down the keyboard?

Comments

• I think it's this:

125bpm + 125bpm/12 x number of 1/2 steps up from C)

D = 125 + (125/12 x 2) = 125 + 10.41 * 2 {1/2 steps up} = 145.83 BMP

So that an octave doubles the BPM to 250. It would also double any pitches by 2.

It's the bottom of Beethoven's 9th - no runs, no hits and the basses are loaded (again).

• @McDtracy said:
    I think it's this:

125bpm + 125bpm/12 x number of 1/2 steps up from C)

D = 125 + (125/12 x 2) = 125 + 10.41 * 2 {1/2 steps up} = 145.83 BMP

So that an octave doubles the BPM to 250. It would also double any pitches by 2.

It's the bottom of Beethoven's 9th - no runs, no hits and the basses are loaded (again).

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    If I play a drum loop sample that was recorded at 125 bpm on a key in a sampler (no time stretch and loaded on a C), what formula would help me work out what the bpm would be as I play certain notes up or down the keyboard?

The answer above is wrong.

You need to multiply by a^n where n is the number of half steps and a=2^(1/12)=1.059463...
    So D would be 125 * (1.059463)^2=140.31

• @Rebus_Knebus said:
    You need to multiply by a^n where n is the number of half steps and a=2^(1/12)=1.059463...

Very nice... If I get the time I'll compute the values over that first octave. The increases in BPM are larger as you go up meaning they follow an exponential curve and not a straight line line I was guessing it might be.

What would be most useful for many will be the number you should multiply the base BPM by for each of the 12 notes to the octave. That way you can use them for 120, 125 or 130 and get the new BPM"s. They way to do this is with a calculator that has the X to the Y printed with a superscripted Y or X^Y using standard text formatting.

• @McDtracy said:

@Rebus_Knebus said:

I'll compute the values over that first octave:
    1st C# - 1.059563 or just use 1.06
    2nd D - 1.122461848369 or 1.12
    3rd D#/Eb - 1.1895435 or 1.19
    4th E - 1.26
    5th F - 1.335469 or 1.34
    6th F#/Gb - 1.41501 or 1.42
    7th G - 1.49929 or 1.5
    8th G#/Ab- 1.588598 or 1.59
    9th A - 1.68322 or 1.68
    10th A#/Bb - 1.78347 or 1.78
    11th B - 1.8897 or 1.89
    Octave C - 2.0

We used to have to use slide rules to estimate these exponential calculations. A lost art for an engineer today.

If you like this sort of thing Google the Curta Mechanical Calculator. I saw one once in metal and now there are 3D Printer plans to make one that's larger than the original.

Doing long form exponential and logrhythmic calculations with a pencil is really painful and that was a job before computers... being a calculator. Similar to the people that used to copy out music parts with pen and ink transposing the notes from "concert" to the correct keys for Bb Trumpet, etc for a recording session.

• I slept and it all just went complex lol

• edited December 2018

Thankfully this is something that is super easy to do in BM3.
    Set the original BPM(or length in bars/beats) of the loop and let BM3 use auto-scale to 'tune it'(semi's & cents) to match the sessions tempo.

I've yet to get NS2 but these are the kind of 'small' improvements that would make working with 'slate samples' a lot smoother :)

This site might be worth it for 'stuff'.
    https://musiccalculator.com/#generate-bpm-table

• @Samu said:
    Thankfully this is something that is super easy to do in BM3.
    Set the original BPM(or length in bars/beats) of the loop and let BM3 use auto-scale to 'tune it'(semi's & cents) to match the sessions tempo.

I've yet to get NS2 but these are the kind of 'small' improvements that would make working with 'slate samples' a lot smoother :)

This site might be worth it for 'stuff'.
    https://musiccalculator.com/#generate-bpm-table

Thanks @Samu :)

• Couple of 'options' for working this out..

If you happen to have both iPad and iPhone (or 2 iPads or 2 iPhones) you could just record into the Music Memo's app and let that work it out for you.

Use tap tempo.

Export a 4 beat loop at your desired pitch/tempo....import into blocs, tell blocs it is 4 beats and ignore the tempo box...blocs will calculate the tempo.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Couple of 'options' for working this out..

If you happen to have both iPad and iPhone (or 2 iPads or 2 iPhones) you could just record into the Music Memo's app and let that work it out for you.

Use tap tempo.

Export a 4 beat loop at your desired pitch/tempo....import into blocs, tell blocs it is 4 beats and ignore the tempo box...blocs will calculate the tempo.

Thanks @AndyPlankton I always forget about Blocs these days. I think I should reload it and just not load all the sound packs, then it can be used but not hogging storage.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Use tap tempo.

Thanks @AndyPlankton I always forget about Blocs these days. I think I should reload it and just not load all the sound packs, then it can be used but not hogging storage.

As Mr Goodyear would say...the little things :)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Use tap tempo.

Yeah but Mr Goodyear has a forever expanding iPad storage with every app going ever! :D

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Use tap tempo.

Yeah but Mr Goodyear has a forever expanding iPad storage with every app going ever! :D

I bet he's got one of every model, all arranged in size order in specially constructed display cases ... probably takes him longer to decide which one to use than it does to make his tunes. :D

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Use tap tempo.

I bet he's got one of every model, all arranged in size order in specially constructed display cases ... probably takes him longer to decide which one to use than it does to make his tunes. :D

Oh, and Bebot on every single one !

• @AndyPlankton @Fruitbat1919 You should probably know that I have a private google alert wallah who passes along every name-in-vain mention of my friend Mister Bebot :)

In other news, I wonder if bats eat plankton? You'd think they might if they were swimmy enough...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @AndyPlankton @Fruitbat1919 You should probably know that I have a private google alert wallah who passes along every name-in-vain mention of my friend Mister Bebot :)

In other news, I wonder if bats eat plankton? You'd think they might if they were swimmy enough...

:D

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @AndyPlankton @Fruitbat1919 You should probably know that I have a private google alert wallah who passes along every name-in-vain mention of my friend Mister Bebot :)

From bpm to Nekton in 5 steps
    You never know where you will end up when chatting here :D :D

• @AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

From bpm to Nekton in 5 steps
    You never know where you will end up when chatting here :D :D

That’s coz half of us here are nutters :D

• I thought you had a hangry baby on your hands.

• @CracklePot said:
    I thought you had a hangry baby on your hands.

• BTW, did you happen to watch the Audio Dabbler tut on BM3 sampler, the recent one with transient detect autoslice? He shows how to run your loop through BM3 sampler to embed transient markers, then export with those markers to use as BeatHawk loops. BH loops do the timestretchy thing really well.

Not sure, but it seems related to your current quest, judging by your recent threads/questions.

• @CracklePot said:
    BTW, did you happen to watch the Audio Dabbler tut on BM3 sampler, the recent one with transient detect autoslice? He shows how to run your loop through BM3 sampler to embed transient markers, then export with those markers to use as BeatHawk loops. BH loops do the timestretchy thing really well.

Not sure, but it seems related to your current quest, judging by your recent threads/questions.

No I haven’t seen that. Audio Dabbler you say? Videos on you tube?

• edited December 2018

This is the one.

Big thanks to @gmslayton
    Your YouTube channel is awesome.

• @CracklePot said:
    This is the one.

Thanks for that. Will watch when my wife has gone to bed :)

• edited December 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    In other news, I wonder if bats eat plankton?

Down the rabbit hole Alice...

Plankton is defined as anything that cannot swim successfully against a strong tide. It floats. By that definition...

Humans are plankton (an oceanographer told me this)

Dracula can become a bat

Dracula (eats) drinks the blood of humans.

So, Yes. Da bats be eatin' da plankton.

(as a backup argument cows do NOT swim well so humans and Dracula are not needed to make the case). Just one type of bat feeds on cows. I like Bats and have some in a structure near our backyard so at dusk we can see them catching insects (another form of plankton?)).

• @McDtracy said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    In other news, I wonder if bats eat plankton?

Down the rabbit hole Alice...

Plankton is defined as anything that cannot swim successfully against a strong tide. It floats. By that definition...

Humans are plankton (an oceanographer told me this)

Dracula can become a bat

Dracula (eats) drinks the blood of humans.

So, Yes. Da bats be eatin' da plankton.

(as a backup argument cows do NOT swim well so humans and Dracula are not needed to make the case). Just one type of bat feeds on cows. I like Bats and have some in a structure near our backyard so at dusk we can see them catching insects (another form of plankton?)).

Yes. Well noodled. Bats. In favor. Folks crowd on a bridge here in Austin every night to see a vast colony of them come out to feed. Years ago in Maine we had an attic full. Turns out you can't kill them so The Men come and put nets up so they can get out but can't get back in. Asking The Head Man what happens, he explained: Like a lot of pest control, we're really in the moving business. You pay us. The pests leave and take up residence at your neighbors...