Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Aparillo AU3 on iOS 12- Huge Battery Drain

Hi ...

Is anyone else finding Aparillo AU3 a huge battery drain?

I've noticed when using Aparillo AU3 in AUM by Kymatica on iOS 12.1 that the iPad battery drains very quickly. I think I'm losing 1% charge every 30-60 seconds though I haven't measured it accurately. The AUM set is complex with many plugins from different vendors (including Turnado from the same app vendor), and the same set without Aparillo probably drops 1% every 5-10 minutes roughly.

I am working on an iPad Pro 2017, and I heard reports that the 120Hz screen refresh was causing battery issues with some apps, but this clearly isn't affecting the other AU3s in the set.

I haven't tested the standalone Aparillo for comparison, and I haven't checked whether it happens so much when Aparillo's GUI is open or closed.

Has anyone else come across this? Have sent Sugar Bytes a report.

Thanks
Richard

Comments

• We should have a ay to measure this and compare it to other Apps. Any ideas what to setup to get some results recorded for various iPads?

Pick a preset... maybe one with an Arp and Sample and hold of Middle C. Start it and watch the battery and report the time from 100% to maybe 50%? Don't do anything else to confuse the data.

Who's in... I have an iPad 2018 currently showing 100%.

PRESET = Init?
    Arp Knob 50%
    Note = C4
    (I can't find any sample and hold option...). Help.

• Yeah, I'm also on an 2017 Pro, although my setup in AUM isn't as complex as yours I'm noticing a significant battery draw when using Aparillo...also when running it standalone...
    I haven't seen as bad an effect as you (1% charge every 30-60 seconds) though...

• Have you checked your battery usage stat thingy in the iOS main settings?

• Not here. Used it for a couple of hours today and saw 7% drop.

• That's 3.5% an hour. Can you top that with any other app?

• @lasselu said:
    Yeah, I'm also on an 2017 Pro, although my setup in AUM isn't as complex as yours I'm noticing a significant battery draw when using Aparillo...also when running it standalone...
    I haven't seen as bad an effect as you (1% charge every 30-60 seconds) though...

That was just a guess - I'll try it when I can and give a more accurate figure. Maybe 1% per minute? I'll try it again over the weekend.

I also tried turning off Background Audio, iCloud Sync etc.

I think it might be Aparillo specific as Turnado can be pretty CPU intensive but it doesn't drain the battery like Aparillo does.

• edited December 2018

@CracklePot said:
    Have you checked your battery usage stat thingy in the iOS main settings?

I thought about that but I'm not sure iOS is able to report an AU3 within a host app as it's running as a child process - will check though. Come to think of it, I did have a quick look at that last night when I noticed the battery drop and I saw AUM listed in Battery Usage but not Aparillo.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Not here. Used it for a couple of hours today and saw 7% drop.

Standalone? AU3\Host?

• Thanks for replies everyone - useful to compare our experiences.

• @lukesleepwalker Are you using a newer iPad with the high refresh rate display?

• As a side note... good to check your battery usage in the settings to see where it's going. It's always surprising to me how much gets drained by the normal stuff like Mail and Safari if they're still open in the background.

• Same here. About 1% per minute. That‘s quite a lot...

• I was using iPad sixth gen. About half standalone and half as AU.

• edited December 2018

I'm using an iPad Pro 2017 with the 120Hz refresh rate.

• edited December 2018

Maybe worth trying this? Restrict iPad to 60Hz screen refresh ... https://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/11/20/how-to-ipad-pro-display-60fps/

• I'm finding that restricting iPad Pro refresh rate to 60Hz has a noticeable effect on battery drain with Aparillo iOS.