Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording Keyboard Sounds To iPad : Continuing with difficulty SOLVED!

Well, I got myself a UR22mk2 today. I also got a dc adapter. Connected it all up ( audio in on the front panel, midi in and out on the rear. USB to CCK.
Cubasis recognized the Steinberg. I armed a midi and audio track in Cubasis? I recorded off the Kawai... only got a midi track. Which makes sense because I need to connect audio out from UR22 to the iPad. However, how do I connect the two 1/4” jacks from the UR22 to the iPad? Or am I missing something? So near and yet so far! Help me!

Comments

• The audio travels through the USB cable. The interface box you bought acts as the audio input and output.

Did you connect the audio out of your keyboard to the input of your audio interface?

P.s. You might want to edit thread name. You are "recording" audio from external keyboard not "importing audio". Importing means transferring audio files.

• edited December 2018

Ok @espiegel123 , edited the title. The easy part! Yes, I realize now audio and midi are both carried thru USB. And yes, the audio out from the Kawai is plugged into the AI. Gain also up on both channels and output as well. It must be something in the routing, I think.

I just tried plugging headphones into the UR22. No sound from the Kawai, tho there is sound from the headphone jack on the keyboard. So I don't think the audio signal is coming into the UR.
    If it was, shouldn't the hp get it?

• Do you have AUM? If so. my first test would be to create one audio lane that simply takes the audio in from the interface, play on your keyboard and see if the "LEDs" light up in AUM indicating that the audio is reaching the iPad

• edited December 2018

@espiegel. No AUM. I did get a signal thru the hp, so audio is coming in. I have to say the sound quality is awful. Way better from the Kawai hp Jack. I unplugged the midi connection, so just USB to iPad. Pressed record. Nada. I even tried plugging the audio out from the UR to the audio on the Kawai. A pointless gesture.

More clues - and strange: ok, so, using audiobus I could route the UR22 as a midi input ( not listed on audio) to Cubasis. I could then record a Kawai sound played back on a midi track, but not audio. So that is progress. However, I could not get a readout of the signal on the CB mixer, nor could I hear anything from the hp output on the iPad. I could only hear the midi track played thru the UR hp Jack. Any thoughts?

• Cubasis will only record onto the selected track..So if you had a midi track selected when you recorded it will have recorded midi notes only.
    Problem is - you can’t select a midi and audio track together..

So record your Kawai keyboard performance as midi ( so that you can quantise and edit notes), then play it back
    .....except now select an audio track, making sure your monitor and record buttons are lit/on.. and hopefully you can now record your kawai sounds..

Note, if your midi track is playing back your kawai, you should be able to go thru the sounds whilst it’s playing

• @RUncELL. I tried what you suggested without success. How should the audio track be routed to pick up the midi info? Thanks.

• @LinearLineman : I would recommend on ignoring MIDI for the time being till you have the audio working.

Keep in mind with audio that you need to be mindful of the input levels. This will involve a combination of the output level of the external keyboard and the input level settings on your interface. If there are level mismatches , the results can be either quite noisy audio or distorted audio.

• edited December 2018

Try this:
    Open Setup in Cubasis
    Select Audio
    On the Audio Page my hardware device is listed as the "Audio Device"
    Do you see any recognition of your hardware in Cubasis?
    UR22 or Steinberg?

If yes then continue with:

1. add (or select) an audio track in Cubasis
    2. touch "Routing"
    3. touch "Mono input" and a list of options will appear
    4. my AI is called AudioBus and it's number 3 on my list of choices
    5. but "AudioBus" is greyed out but when I pick Stereo is records my audio in to my AI

Getting a good sound is a matter of getting the "Gain" stages correct. You can set volumes on:
    1. Kawaii
    2. AI for me also has knobs for the 2 inputs
    3. Output from AI I have a knob for that
    4. Volume setting on the Cubasis track

Start with everything low to just hear something and slowly add gain with the GAIN of Cubasis likely being needed to bring it up to something you can hear and it should NOT be distorted or something on the way in was set too high.

Kawaii should be mid-way I think for best sound. Someone here will know about this.

Let us know when you can.

• @McDtracy the UR22 appears as an audio device. However when I select mono no list of options appears.

• edited December 2018

No. Try stereo and arm the audio track with red circle and hit record.
    Mono will work but start testing 2cables first.

• @McDtracy Nope. Just to be clear. I have cables in from Kawai audio out to UR audio ins. Midi in and out from Kawai to midi out and in on UR22. USB from UR to iPad cck. No audio out from UR22. I can record midi data, but no sound is evident on the CB mixer or hp Jack. However, midi track plays Kawai piano sound thru UR22 hp Jack. Now is when I start hating this stuff. There, I said it. I'm a hater.

• The audio outs of the Kawaii are the same ones you'd use for your speakers? There's just one thing wrong and we'll figure this out. Just stick to facts. Forget feelings for a bit.

What does Cubasis call your audio device? Mine is AudioBus as provided by my vendor Presonus.

• Be sue you do audio out on kawaii to audio in on the Steinberg. It's little details that make it fail.

• You won't hear anything from the iPad until the cabling is right and the proper port is selected in Cubasis and the audio track is armed and you hit record.

• I have guests so I may abandon you for some time. Good luck. Someone here will help.

• edited December 2018

All seems korrect. CB Calls my device Steinberg UR22 mk2. ( that's MR. Steinberg to you!) Have fun @McDtracy.

• edited December 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    @RUncELL. I tried what you suggested without success. How should the audio track be routed to pick up the midi info? Thanks.

The recorded midi track plays back the kawai synth sound.. in order to hear the audio coming from the kawai you must create an audio track (in Cubasis) an make sure the little round (speaker shape/symbol) is lit and the track highlighted so you can monitor the input ..ie the kawai.

Alternately- just create an audio track and make sure both monitor and rec buttons are lit (they’re on the actual track below solo and mute) and you should hear your kawai when you play it.

• Bingo. Do that. This is killing me.

• Is this resolved yet? Stepping out... honestly.

• Yes, I f$&king did that! Sorry to be a bother. I need one of those things you wear around your neck when you have fallen and can't get up. Track armed, monitor on. Does not play back recorded midi track. Does not record new audio track. Maybe @michael will do a mercy shutdown of this thread.

• When a midi track is playing back, is the kawai sounding .?. you can check this out by plugging headphones into the Kawai.

Still no sound ??. Set Cubasis’ midi track to channel 1 and set kawai to receive midi channel 1.

Yes got sound in headphones but still not in Cubasis ?.. Then it must be to do with routing in Cubasis.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Sorry to be a bother. I need one of those things you wear around your neck when you have fallen and can't get up. Track armed, monitor on. Does not play back recorded midi track. Does not record new audio track. Maybe @michael will do a mercy shutdown of this thread.

Don't give up. We can do this. It works. Focus on facts.

Yes, I f$&king did that!

Did what? we'll find what's not set correctly with confirming facts. (But I do have to run).

• edited December 2018

Two midi tracks recording thru Steinberger, 3rd track audio armed and monitored, but no recording.:

@RUncELL @McDtracy “I am not a crook!”

• Your audio track isn’t armed in that screenshot, though.

• Sorry, don’t know what happened there... but here it is again @Cracklepot

• @CracklePot said:
    Your audio track isn’t armed in that screenshot, though.

It's not armed but you can see he recorded a clip of silence.

Ok linear lineman

You need to do this:

Select that MIDI thru button on your midi track routing.This will allow your incoming MIDI notes to pass through back to your instrument.
    Plug one instrument cable from the keyboard into channel one of the interface.
    Make an audio track arm it and record.

• Do you have the inputs turned up on the UR22?

(Be right back. Grabbing some grub.)

• Enjoy @michael, but remember, Santa knows if you’ve been naughty or nice!

• edited December 2018

@BroCoast, tried the midi thru, varied the destination, virtual midi, Steinberg. Shney . .