Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Preorder trends on the app store

edited December 2018 in Other

I’m noticing a trend here. I haven’t thought through all the angles but I’m not sure I like it. Seems like a way to get us to purchase at a discount (good for us) while helping isolate us from negative feedback after launch. So if I want to hear from other users, I have to pay more because I didn’t preorder.

Thoughts?

My 4th attempt at a crappy non-scientific poll
  1. How do you feel about preorders?15 votes
    1. Preorders always rule even when there is no incentive! I love parting ways with my money early!!!
      13.33%
    2. Preorders are a necessary evil I’ll deal with to get a discount.
      46.67%
    3. Preorders should be put in the old preorder cannon and shot into space!
      40.00%

Comments

• Wait a minute... there was an opportunity to get a discount? Asleep at the wheel again.

• @McDtracy said:
    Wait a minute... there was an opportunity to get a discount? Asleep at the wheel again.

Not always, in which case I totally don’t understand why someone would do it.

• @robertreynolds said:

@McDtracy said:
    Wait a minute... there was an opportunity to get a discount? Asleep at the wheel again.

Not always, in which case I totally don’t understand why someone would do it.

Probably to show support for the Developer.
    Or to make sure they get theirs, just in case the app sells out. ;)

• edited December 2018

It is to build up hype - 1st notification when it goes on preorder and 2nd notification when it becomes available for download. However, we can buy and download the app anytime after the preorder phase mostly on the same terms.

YouTube is offering Premiere option too - to build up hype with 2 notifications going out (one 30 minutes beforehand and the other 2 minutes before the scheduled time) - even though the video can be watched anytime even if we miss the premiere. It's not a TV show that if we miss it, it's gone - this is online and on-demand to replay as many times as we want and whenever we want.

We don't miss anything if we miss a preorder or a premiere - it's just hype!

If we succeed in building an engaging community and a CULT following around our content, it offers a level of curiosity and satisfaction among our followers and they would even set up Reminders on our YouTube premieres to watch when our premieres go live. All TV Shows (Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Prison Break...) have a cult following with 5-star ratings - even if some of the episodes are silly dumb and suck really bad.

• I originally did it because I thought the developer got their money right away and I trusted them and wanted to support and encourage them. Then I found out there’s no charge until the app downloads.

I have done it to take advantage of a discount, but would not always be the case if I’m not sure I’m going to get the app eventually or if I don’t trust the developer’s projected release date.

With NS2 I did it because it was just so cool when Patterning magically appeared on my device and the dialog notified me. I don’t know why that should be so satisfying to me, but it is. In fact I was watching an NS2 tutorial video when the alert popped up and the app was just there.

Preorders are an unimportant gimmick, though. I see no value in them.

• edited December 2018

I just find it annoying because they make it hard to see what the actual price will be, plus the price for any IAPs.

• edited December 2018

I don't know what to think about it other than since I like to see the app thoroughly tested by others before I buy it it’s not my kind of thing. This is except some devs I know are dynamite.

So no, I'm not participating.

Wikipedia helps a bit but hasn't been updated for the digital age.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-order

• You're not supporting the developer. When you guys purchase apps the money is not instantly transferred to the dev. Apple takes their 30% cut and at the end of each month the developer sees the payment.

Also for preorders your money is taken from the card when the preorder day arrives. So you're not giving Apple any money in advance either.

So yeah I guess it's just for the hype. And probably helps you not to refresh the app store like crazy.

I don't have an issue with the trend. I do have an issue with the subscription trend. That sucks :)

• edited December 2018

Adding to what Alex said, Developers in the USA don't see the payment for quite awhile based on when the app is actually Available.

For example: If an app goes on pre-sale for Black Friday, then is actually released on Dec 1st, the developer won't receive the funds from Apple until February.

• tjatja
    edited December 2018

Pre-orders with a sale are nice.
    Without a sale, they are at best convenient, as this should download as soon as it is there.
    But.

I preordered nanostudio 2 and this was just a mess!
    Apple does this totally wrong, it seems - as always.

I needed to cancel the pre-order and could then buy the App.
    It was a desaster as a "pre-order"

In summary, Apple is a shit.
    If there would be another company with decent hardware, OS and software, I would be away in 1 second.

• edited December 2018

Only reason in pre-order I see if it's from a a the dedicated dev with a very good reputation and offers a big discount at presale. But so far I hardly see that. Patterning 2 was offered with a a 25%. Devs have good repuation but I thought 25% was not a really interesting discount. BTW Patterning price is at the moment also on the same price level as pre-sale price. iMPC Pro 2 for iPhone is now at pre-sale for 50% which makes it one of the first pre-sales with such a big discount that it might be interesting also knowing that iMPC stuff hardly go on sale. But the devs (Retronym) have not a very good reputation on this forum, so there's doubt. Still think this is a very good pre-sale deal if you're into iMPC like sequencing.

• @alexbuga @analog_matt
    Do you guys at least see how many pre-orders are made, even before you get paid?
    Or do you just get all of the info at once, with the payment?

• Sometimes I like to pre-order to make sure I don’t blow all my funds while waiting for the app I really want.
    AppStore credits seem to coax me into spending them sooner rather than later, for some strange reason. It is really hard to resist spending them while waiting for an app to get released.

• I think the best thing is to just give Apple $100 and get a gift card. This shows developer's respect for picking IOS. I'll try this on my missus. She's all about respect. $100 - $30 for NS2 leaves $70 to check out the IAP's. Good idea. "R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me."