Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ultimate iOS (my opinion, what's yours)

My ultimate set up right now is...
Modstep, AUM / Ab3
With this set up I feel there are so many ways to create and complete songs.
Mapping midi, launching clips, changing parts and all being mixed and recorded in AUM or Ab3 where you can loop audio.

I would love to see nano studio 2 take on all these abilities as it would then be the ultimate all in one.
I love it so far but need it to do ab support to be ultimate.

What is your ultimate set up / desire.

Comments

• @reasOne said:
    Modstep, AUM / Ab3

$10 Rule permits ModStep.

• Wish I had one single perfect environment but I’ve been bouncing around a lot lately with all of these great releases. I expect I will be throwing huge heart-shaped eyes at NS2 for a while though with a visit to Auria or Ableton for mixing/mastering.

• NS2 + Auria Pro for me. As long as all fabfilter plugins are not Auv3, can't let Auria fall into dead apps.

• Nanomaker Beatstudio V4

• Too many new things lately. Still trying everything out.
    Haven’t even tried NS2 yet, since I am Black Friday Broke.

• edited December 2018

Today it's YouTube on IOS and Chromecast on a Panasonic TV.
    Tomorrow who knows.

For the month of November it's been AUM with IAA annd AU generators, instruments, FX and MIDI routing.

In December I should seriously looking into LFO's on AU Parameters.

For publishing:
    1. I record in AUM (sometimes using several passes to add more instruments)
    2. move the wave to AudioShare
    3. process that wave with Grand Finale
    4. move that back to AudioShare in 24-bit MP4 format
    5. Upload to SoundCloud (MP4 uploads in a fraction of the time the waves would take)

Everything still sounds like an experiment but the number of experiments per week has gone way up with this workflow.

• edited December 2018

That’s a tough question...
    I have a great deal of apps...too many actually
    I find that all these apps award me different creativity moments
    I delete very few apps...for that very reason

I don’t make the same things on gadget that I make on GarageBand for instance...Joy!

But I’m also the same guy that’s all cracked out giddy with a toy keyboard and a zoomh6

• @MrSmileZ said:
    I don’t make the same things on gadget that I make on GarageBand for instance...Joy!

+1 So true!

• edited December 2018

Caustic

• great workflow
    • .sf2 import
    • big community: lots of free presets, project files
    • free desktop version
    • No bugs
    • Modular synth
      etc.
  • BenBen
    edited December 2018

@McDtracy said:
    Tomorrow who knows.

For the month of November it's been AUM with IAA annd AU generators, instruments, FX and MIDI routing.

For publishing:
    5. Upload to SoundCloud (MP4 uploads in a fraction of the time the waves would take)

Everything still sounds like an experiment but the number of experiments per week has gone way up with this workflow.

I asked this question of our friend Wayne on his latest thread but I’d like to hear your input too.
    I do steps 2 through 5 with step 1 as GTL or Loopy recorded sessions.
    So step 2.5 is exporting the session to Grand Finale.
    This works for sure but is there not a more direct method?
    Thanks in advance for any input.

To address the OP. I will open AUM in the input slot of AB and establish a master volume and GTL or Loopy in the output of AB to accomplish the above mentioned.
    That is starting to misbehave a bit cause I think my Air2 is getting a little long in the tooth.
    Depending of course on what I have open in AUM.

Last edit. I was trying to set up a vocal file to state save in AB tonight with Mic Room as input and a variety of vocal apps in the input slot but crash city non stop.
    Just moved to AUM and did it there.

• @Ben said:

@McDtracy said:
    Tomorrow who knows.

For publishing:

I asked this question of our friend Wayne on his latest thread but I’d like to hear your input too.
    I do steps 2 through 5 with step 1 as GTL or Loopy recorded sessions.
    So step 2.5 is exporting the session to Grand Finale.
    This works for sure but is there not a more direct method?
    Thanks in advance for any input.

Use Loopy? That's sounds like something worth checking out. Thanks.

RE: Grand Finale

I fell into the habit before getting GF of moving AUM files to AudioShare. And at this stage I listen to the file and sometimes decide to just upload it to SoundCloud but lately I've added the GF step for 2 reasons. It general helps improve the impact of the recording and it also allows converting to 24-bits and the creation of an MP4 file. I've noticed MP4's upload into SoundCloud much faster.

• iMPC Pro2 + BeatMaker 3 + NanoStudio 2 + Cubasis all thrown into Auria Pro

• Korg Gadget, still. Thought of it as of a stepstone to more „serious“ music making, but one year into it I‘m still amazed what can be done with. Right now, it‘s all I need (including almost every IAP and Module, iM1, iMonoPoly, iOdyssey, iWavestation).

Which means I have paid hundreds of so far unnecessary extra bucks for all the other great synth/fx/sequencer/whatever apps that I have even used so far.

• @McDtracy said:

@reasOne said:
    Modstep, AUM / Ab3

$10 Rule permits ModStep.

Cyber Monday was the day, it was half off!
    Honestly it's one app that is worth breaking the rules for imo...
    You can create several melodies / parts (whatever you wanna call em) of one instance / patch of a synth and just trigger the clips when it's their turn in the song... It's what makes Ableton, Ableton, outside of its instruments/effects...
    It's a work horse and it's very simple to operate after a hour and a couple things you need to understand. If you use ios synths, wanna build tracks with midi, it is the most solid and quick workflow I've discovered, think of it as a groovebox app that's hosts any and all of your ios gear, of course it has some things that I would change, but really I'm very happy with it.... Especially in combination with aum or ab.

• @LeonKowalski said:
    Korg Gadget, still. Thought of it as of a stepstone to more „serious“ music making, but one year into it I‘m still amazed what can be done with. Right now, it‘s all I need (including almost every IAP and Module, iM1, iMonoPoly, iOdyssey, iWavestation).

Which means I have paid hundreds of so far unnecessary extra bucks for all the other great synth/fx/sequencer/whatever apps that I have even used so far.

Gadget is deff an all in one app, I hate I can't use my audio units and iaa synths / effects Inside of it, but at least it has good internal effects...i love gadget but when I want to use other synths I have to go to modstep

• @SlowwFloww said:
    Caustic

• great workflow
    • .sf2 import
    • free desktop version
    • No bugs
    • Modular synth
      etc.

I'm seriously considering caustic, it seems great...i just need to look into it more, it deff seems like a good gadget type deal, but I always run into the issue that I can't use my fav au synths, in those kind of environments

• @AudioGus said:
    Nanomaker Beatstudio V4

😂 modmaker nano step beat studio

• @MrSmileZ said:
    That’s a tough question...
    I have a great deal of apps...too many actually

But I’m also the same guy that’s all cracked out giddy with a toy keyboard and a zoomh6

Haha absolutely, it's a great world ol ios land

• edited December 2018

@reasOne said:

@LeonKowalski said:
    Korg Gadget, still. Thought of it as of a stepstone to more „serious“ music making, but one year into it I‘m still amazed what can be done with. Right now, it‘s all I need (including almost every IAP and Module, iM1, iMonoPoly, iOdyssey, iWavestation).

Gadget is deff an all in one app, I hate I can't use my audio units and iaa synths / effects Inside of it, but at least it has good internal effects...i love gadget but when I want to use other synths I have to go to modstep

Yes, exactly. If I could use other AU fx and synths, I would probably never move on from Gadget. I get almost carried away when I think about using apps like Patterning2, Kosmonaut or Digital D1 in Gadget...

So... next step will be Cubasis or NanoStudio2 for me, but it might take some time until then...

• @LeonKowalski said:

@reasOne said:

@LeonKowalski said:

Yes, exactly. If I could use other AU fx and synths, I would probably never move on from Gadget. I get almost carried away when I think about using apps like Patterning2, Kosmonaut or Digital D1 in Gadget...

So... next step will be Cubasis or NanoStudio2 for me, but it might take some time until then...

I honestly would say modstep and ns2 way above cubasis. Cubasis has the name but it doesn't deliver imo...it's one of the few expensive purchases I regret and consider deleting everyday...modstep is my fav Home rn

• A big pile of AU’s synths, beatmakers, sample manglers and fx, and the odd IAA all funnelled into AUM. Triggered via Riffer, Steppolyarp, Rozeta and my fingers and recorded live into Audioshare for maximum joy.

These audio residues can then be picked about, cut up, stretched and rearranged on the desktop via Reason and Maschine.

It’s a wonderful, wonderful world.

• edited December 2018

No such thing. Just like with cars, women /men, football teams, cities, countries, companies, food, favourite this, ultimate that...

I suspect it is big companies who have invented the modern use of the word ultimate. Maybe it is just the ultimate ploy to skim the masses. Maybe not... :)

I kinda think that 'ultimate' is the enemy of change. If you find something ultimate does it mean you stop evolving?

I hope that my ultimate state of being is when I'm dead... but maybe not...

• @supadom said:
    No such thing. Just like with cars, women /men, football teams, cities, countries, companies, food, favourite this, ultimate that...

I suspect it is big companies who have invented the modern use of the word ultimate. Maybe it is just the ultimate ploy to skim the masses. Maybe not... :)

I kinda think that 'ultimate' is the enemy of change. If you find something ultimate does it mean you stop evolving?

I hope that my ultimate state of being is when I'm dead... but maybe not...

Is this your ultimate opinion??? 😂

This thread is taken with a grain of salt as far as, what's your ultimate, meaning that none of us limit to only one way or one thing, but rather we have been most productive in a particular setup... Always room to grow, change and evolve, even with our ultimate way to create music

• edited December 2018

@reasOne said:
    I'm seriously considering caustic, it seems great...i just need to look into it more, it deff seems like a good gadget type deal, but I always run into the issue that I can't use my fav au synths, in those kind of environments

Try it it’s great.. It’s friendly priced, only costs $ 9,99.

Like I said, it has a big community.. with lots of good user presets and projects for free. Something that Gadget hasn’t.

The dev also made it posible to design your own skin for the app.. so, it will never look dated. Forum user Terpki made an awesome skin for Caustic that gives the GUI a clean modern look:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30008/caustic-users/p1

Another thing I really like are it’s wave editting capabilities. It has auto bpm detection for timestretching and pitch shifting, and you can chop audio really fast. I've made a video about that:

A great Youtube channel for Cautic productions is TCF:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCar7UKEBRMH4Cbo14VLPyng/videos

And this guy is a Caustic expert, he's one of my favourites:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMFFYwLbUi3j7jhphioGilA/videos

• @reasOne said:

@SlowwFloww said:
    Caustic

• great workflow
    • .sf2 import
    • free desktop version
    • No bugs
    • Modular synth
      etc.

@reasOne said:

@SlowwFloww said:
    Caustic

• great workflow
    • .sf2 import
    • free desktop version
    • No bugs
    • Modular synth
      etc.

It’s a walled garden. But there is good sunlight, the proper amount of rain, the insects are under control and there is a nice bench to relax on. It’s a garden that when you’re in the right mood, there is no better place to be. It’s lovely. Oh and it recently got a new coat of paint on the walls! (new skin)

• @reasOne said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@reasOne said:

@LeonKowalski said:

I honestly would say modstep and ns2 way above cubasis. Cubasis has the name but it doesn't deliver imo...it's one of the few expensive purchases I regret and consider deleting everyday...modstep is my fav Home rn

That‘s interesting, and as I could use some more information before making the „next step“, I‘d really like to know what the problems with Cubasis are for you, and what NS 2 and maybe other DAWs do better.

• AUM hosting various au and fx, Patterning 2 or Elastic Drums for drums, krft as midi sequencer. Perfect setup for me.

• NS2...end of story :)

• I hardly ever get past the fun/stupid ideas part of music making so AUM (still king of the kings) with Rosetta, StepPolyMidi and some effects which are mostly AD gets me there.
    If I were to take it ‘next level’ it would be with BM3/Cubasis/Xequence and then into AP for mastering.
    At night I dream of Gestrument Pro

• @Richtowns said:
    I hardly ever get past the fun/stupid ideas part of music making so AUM (still king of the kings) with Rosetta, StepPolyMidi and some effects which are mostly AD gets me there.
    If I were to take it ‘next level’ it would be with BM3/Cubasis/Xequence and then into AP for mastering.
    At night I dream of Gestrument Pro

I sometimes see swirly notes in my sleep too - I blame iOS apps for this!