Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Pro 2018 - Anyone else with massive crackles?

13»

Comments

• I really hope Apple fix the cpu spike issue, it's the main thing preventing the ipad pros from being really good.
    Please share your feedback with Apple so they can allocate resources to it :)

• iPadOS13.2.3 just dropped. I only have an iPad Air 2 to test with but since it includes some further optimisations it might be worth a shot...

• @StudioES said:
    Great posts & info, folks.

@aplourde There was an 'crackling' issue when running only 1 AU synth in AUM with a 64 or 128 sample buffer on the 2018 Pros & 2019 Air 3. Is it still an issue?

Sorry, I don't have the 2018 Pro anymore!

Initially the 3rd Gen had massive issues when running only 1 or two apps, because iOS was defaulting to a low-power CPU core and that would periodically become overwhelmed. After several months Apple released an update that "fixed" that problem. "Fixed" is in quotes, because I still hear some people mention the issue, while others saw the issue go away.

I was looking to upgrade my 1st Gen Pro as I was pushing its limits, so I picked up the 3rd Gen, but I really didn't like several aspects of the design (FaceID, tiny bezels, etc) and it just didn't seem that much faster (especially since it cost around $1.1k with AppleCare).
    Apple was also selling refurbished 2nd Gen Pros with equal storage for about half the price, so I picked one up and tested it out during the 14 day return period for the 3rd Gen. I did some testing and found the 2nd Gen was almost as fast as the 3rd Gen with the apps I use most, so it was a no-brainer to keep the 2nd Gen and return the 3rd Gen.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2019

to be deleted

• I have crackling issues too with my iPad mini 5 when using only AUv3 in AUM. My workaround for this is to use a heavy IAA app, which in my case Korg Module Pro along with the AUv3 apps in AUM. I’m not really sure but by doing it, this seems to stabilize the CPU and the crackles are gone. I hope this helps others who are experiencing the same problem.

• @magonciajby said:
    I have crackling issues too with my iPad mini 5 when using only AUv3 in AUM. My workaround for this is to use a heavy IAA app, which in my case Korg Module Pro along with the AUv3 apps in AUM. I’m not really sure but by doing it, this seems to stabilize the CPU and the crackles are gone. I hope this helps others who are experiencing the same problem.

If you have to ATOM AUv3 midi sequencer, try loading it and opening its window and see if that helps. I have a few sessions that crackle like mad without it and when I open it the crackles go away and CPU meter goes way down. Even it if has no MIDI to play. Just drawing seems to unthrottle some cores.

• @espiegel123 said:

@magonciajby said:
    I have crackling issues too with my iPad mini 5 when using only AUv3 in AUM. My workaround for this is to use a heavy IAA app, which in my case Korg Module Pro along with the AUv3 apps in AUM. I’m not really sure but by doing it, this seems to stabilize the CPU and the crackles are gone. I hope this helps others who are experiencing the same problem.

If you have to ATOM AUv3 midi sequencer, try loading it and opening its window and see if that helps. I have a few sessions that crackle like mad without it and when I open it the crackles go away and CPU meter goes way down. Even it if has no MIDI to play. Just drawing seems to unthrottle some cores.

Unfortunately I don’t have ATOM but Korg Module Pro works for me and I’m using it a lot too together with Gadget, so it’s just part of my setup. But your suggestion would help those who don’t use Korg apps but have the ATOM app. Thanks!