Au output for Audiobus

I wonder if it would be technically possible to have an AU that would fit into the output slot in AB
and plug into another host.

If it were it would be a nice thing to have

Comments

  • I don’t get what you’re saying.

  • I see what you’re saying. Not sure if plugging into another host would be possible as the output slot is more suited to hosts rather than plugins themselves and AUs can’t communicate between hosts (as far as I know) but I’m pretty sure it’s technically possible to have an au there. For example when/if Sunvox becomes an au then hosting in AB output slot could make sense.

  • Image-Line are looking to drop their (limited) support for Iaa and Audiobus according to a post by one of their devs on their forum this morning but add AU support. Stagelight supports AU but not IAA (though this might change at some point).
    My thought was that it would be cool if there were a way of getting Apps like Nave and Thor in via some kind of AB to Au bridge.

  • On the other hand the more companies drop basic IAA hosting support the more pressure there will be for remaining developers to upgrade to AU, otherwise the app income will start to tail off. That seems more hopeful :)

  • @Carnbot said:
    On the other hand the more companies drop basic IAA hosting support the more pressure there will be for remaining developers to upgrade to AU, otherwise the app income will start to tail off. That seems more hopeful :)

    AU is not necessarily an upgrade. The memory limits and additional sandboxing they impose are issues that can be major headaches on the development side and will likely lead to some features/functionality/quality being lost in translation in some cases.

  • edited December 7

    @espiegel123 said:

    @Carnbot said:
    On the other hand the more companies drop basic IAA hosting support the more pressure there will be for remaining developers to upgrade to AU, otherwise the app income will start to tail off. That seems more hopeful :)

    AU is not necessarily an upgrade. The memory limits and additional sandboxing they impose are issues that can be major headaches on the development side and will likely lead to some features/functionality/quality being lost in translation in some cases.

    Very good point

  • @TrevorLlewellyn said:

    @espiegel123 said:

    @Carnbot said:
    On the other hand the more companies drop basic IAA hosting support the more pressure there will be for remaining developers to upgrade to AU, otherwise the app income will start to tail off. That seems more hopeful :)

    AU is not necessarily an upgrade. The memory limits and additional sandboxing they impose are issues that can be major headaches on the development side and will likely lead to some features/functionality/quality being lost in translation in some cases.

    Very good point

    Maybe at this present time, but in the future when the technology matures and iOS improves, I disagree :). Everything seems to indicate that this will be the case, unless Apple mess it up.
    Memory limits are being lifted, developers are still learning to work with the technology. I'm not sure which features you refer to which are being lost, but many are being gained.

  • That is all well and good for people on future (expensive) devices. I am just saying that it is not a transition that is as much of a no-brainer as the AU-only crowd imagine.

    It will leave a lot of even pretty recent devices that people are happy with behind.

    Not chastising you, but just saying that the loss of IAA will not be as painless as many imagine,

    @Carnbot said:

    @TrevorLlewellyn said:

    @espiegel123 said:

    @Carnbot said:
    On the other hand the more companies drop basic IAA hosting support the more pressure there will be for remaining developers to upgrade to AU, otherwise the app income will start to tail off. That seems more hopeful :)

    AU is not necessarily an upgrade. The memory limits and additional sandboxing they impose are issues that can be major headaches on the development side and will likely lead to some features/functionality/quality being lost in translation in some cases.

    Very good point

    Maybe at this present time, but in the future when the technology matures and iOS improves, I disagree :). Everything seems to indicate that this will be the case, unless Apple mess it up.
    Memory limits are being lifted, developers are still learning to work with the technology. I'm not sure which features you refer to which are being lost, but many are being gained.

  • If the apps don’t support IAA or Audiobus Input, I would try the Audio Device Loopback trick for now.
    That’s assuming the apps at least support Mic Input.

  • @espiegel123 said:
    That is all well and good for people on future (expensive) devices. I am just saying that it is not a transition that is as much of a no-brainer as the AU-only crowd imagine.

    It will leave a lot of even pretty recent devices that people are happy with behind.

    Not chastising you, but just saying that the loss of IAA will not be as painless as many imagine,

    @Carnbot said:

    @TrevorLlewellyn said:

    @espiegel123 said:

    @Carnbot said:
    On the other hand the more companies drop basic IAA hosting support the more pressure there will be for remaining developers to upgrade to AU, otherwise the app income will start to tail off. That seems more hopeful :)

    AU is not necessarily an upgrade. The memory limits and additional sandboxing they impose are issues that can be major headaches on the development side and will likely lead to some features/functionality/quality being lost in translation in some cases.

    Very good point

    Maybe at this present time, but in the future when the technology matures and iOS improves, I disagree :). Everything seems to indicate that this will be the case, unless Apple mess it up.
    Memory limits are being lifted, developers are still learning to work with the technology. I'm not sure which features you refer to which are being lost, but many are being gained.

    But unfortunately progress needs some sacrifice if we are expecting a Pro experience. The devices are holding out pretty well considering the age of them. Air 2s are still going strong and handle things well still.

    But I'm happy to escape the pain of IAA myself, having had much experience of it. Although I'm sure it will be around for sometime still :)

Sign In or Register to comment.