Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do you host Audio Units in AUM or AudioBus?

I’m using Loopy, AB3, and AUM together, for looping and recording.

I could host audio units in AUM, but I like the AB3 app-switcher. But I prefer the AUM midi matrix for routing.

This got me thinking. If you use AB and AUM together, where do you host your AUs, and why? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Comments

• Most times I set up my apps in AudioBus and send each audio routing to AUM. AudioBus has better keyboard options for scales etc.....or should I say did have? Now that KB-1 has dropped it works well as a replacement for AUMs keyboard.

AudioBus is a star though if you use any iaa that needs switching quickly and some setups save well in AudioBus.

So the best answer is use whatever setup works best for what you are trying to achieve at the time

• I use AB, unless I need to access AU parameters.

• AUM or BM3.

• I put as much as I can into AudioBus, the rest into AUM. App switching, global transport, and the sidebar, plus sometimes AB Remote are the main advantages. But, still need AUM for routing and accessing AU parameters. I’m looking forward to when AB3 can manage parameters.

Don’t get me wrong, I love AUM too. But the workflow with app switching and the sidebar is just so pleasurable to use, and the state saving is the bomb.

• I love state-saving. It might be AB’s best feature (among many great ones). And the little icon strip it puts into all apps is very useful. It even seems to detect and work with running apps, even when they’re not hosted in AB.