Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 official thread

Comments

• @EyeOhEss : i think the thing that may push people's buttons is that the way the initial question was asked and followed up gave the impression that you think the dev is particularly negligent because there hasn't been a more timely update without acknowledging that the initial release was widely acknowledged (particularly by other devs) as remarkably solid and CPU-efficient. While there are some annoying bugs, it is very impressive by 1.0 standards.

Given the devs ambitious goals, it is quite possible that pushing our a quick fix wasn't possible because he was moving aggressively forward with the long-term goal which might mean that while he has addressed some bugs, there is code for new features not ready for prime-time.

Anyway, letting the dev know your concernd directly is probably more effective than venting frustration and doubts about his commitment here.

I am not criticizing you. But you seemed puzzled by people's responses and thought this might provide some reasons as to why people have responded as they have.

• @EyeOhEss do you use AUM?

• edited April 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@drez said:
    @EyeOhEss do you use AUM?

Sometimes yeah

There is a massive lag between updates. Were there no bugs at all between 1.1 and 1.2, therefore no releases?

I doubt it.

My point is even though it was somewhere between 18months and 2 years between updates, AUM has gone on to be one of the most popular and successful DAW like sequencing type complex apps on iOS. Why can’t blip have length between releases and still be successful?

I personally give blip the benefit of the doubt, also considering this isn’t his first iOS app. NS1 was very popular. He has development history. I think you see some of the differing views from yours from a few NS2 users in the forum that used NS1and know/have experienced that history.

• AU MIDI support (which is what StepPolyArp requires) is a non-trivial thing to add. For starters AU MIDI is completely undocumented so it's very difficult to implement in a host without running into issues, because everyone is having to patch things up in an ad-hoc manner with lots of guesswork. Many plugins have implemented the protocol in erratic ways that can easily break stuff in the host app. The whole thing is a real rat's nest.

So I'm not surprised that it's taking a while to implement in NS2. Having said that I would have thought a quick-fix for the sustain pedal issue would have been appropriate, because for many people that's a showstopper. AU MIDI on the other hand is something I would expect to take quite a while to get right.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@richardyot said:
    AU MIDI support (which is what StepPolyArp requires) is a non-trivial thing to add. For starters AU MIDI is completely undocumented so it's very difficult to implement in a host without running into issues, because everyone is having to patch things up in an ad-hoc manner with lots of guesswork. Many plugins have implemented the protocol in erratic ways that can easily break stuff in the host app. The whole thing is a real rat's nest.

So I'm not surprised that it's taking a while to implement in NS2. Having said that I would have thought a quick-fix for the sustain pedal issue would have been appropriate, because for many people that's a showstopper. AU MIDI on the other hand is something I would expect to take quite a while to get right.

It was already fixed months ago ;) just hasn’t been released in an update...

Not necessarily, it might have appeared in beta months ago but only the dev and the beta testers will know if it's actually working without bugs :)

• @EyeOhEss said:

@richardyot said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@richardyot said:
    AU MIDI support (which is what StepPolyArp requires) is a non-trivial thing to add. For starters AU MIDI is completely undocumented so it's very difficult to implement in a host without running into issues, because everyone is having to patch things up in an ad-hoc manner with lots of guesswork. Many plugins have implemented the protocol in erratic ways that can easily break stuff in the host app. The whole thing is a real rat's nest.

Not necessarily, it might have appeared in beta months ago but only the dev and the beta testers will know if it's actually working without bugs :)

From the things I read it sounded like confirmed as fixed months ago :)

You simply don't know that it's all fixed and working perfectly.

If a beta tester for NS2 has made some comment about AU MIDI being in testing, it doesn't mean that the feature is bug-free and ready for release. Speculating about stuff that's going on in a closed beta is pointless, so let's be honest and admit we simply don't know what state AU MIDI in NS2 is at.

Rumours are not the same thing as confirmed bug fixes coming from the developer.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@richardyot said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@richardyot said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@richardyot said:

You simply don't know that it's all fixed and working perfectly.

If a beta tester for NS2 has made some comment about AU MIDI being in testing, it doesn't mean that the feature is bug-free and ready for release. Speculating about stuff that's going on in a closed beta is pointless, so let's be honest and admit we simply don't know what state AU MIDI in NS2 is at.

Rumours are not the same thing as confirmed bug fixes coming from the developer.

The dev said it was fixed on their forum in an old post I read yesterday. He said it was simple fix and done.

Getting AU MIDI working is a simple fix? Can you post a link to that post?

• @EyeOhEss said:

@richardyot said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@richardyot said:

I think you don't understand the point he and I were trying to make: it is quite possible that he both fixed that particular bug AND started implementing major code changes that need to be completed before it can be released. So the vide base might now have correct sustain pedal behavior and incompletely implemented features.

Yes, other developers sometimes have a spate of bug fix releases right after release, and even with those releases most have glaring issues six months after release.

I think it is a bit early to be treating him as negligent.

You have every right not to buy it. You seem pretty vested in wanting people to share your opinion that the dev is being particularly unresponsive to his users' needs. To me that doesn't seem to be the case given the scale of the task at hand and its initial quality.

I can totally understand wanting to wait till it is more complete to buy it but not the need to get people to agree that the dev is being unreliable in some way.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@richardyot said:

The dev said it was fixed on their forum in an old post I read yesterday. He said it was simple fix and done.

Getting AU MIDI working is a simple fix? Can you post a link to that post?

He said that getting StepPolyArp to work was a simple fix. It was a compatibility issue specific to that app. Not an entire Midi AU issue.

I don’t want to argue about my opinion on this any more so that’s all for me on the subject.

I should add It’s not just a StepPolyArp issue. It affects any AU fx midi app which requires midi input. That’s a lot of them. So I don’t recommend Ns2 if you want to use midi fx until it’s fixed. I’m disappointed this hasn’t been patched sooner as well. I’m sure it will happen though.

• edited April 2019

@drez
    I am normally a supporter of agile...release often and correct often.

I'm totally for waterfall approach :) That's how i work in my job - i deliver solution when it is finished, well tested and fine tuned :) Thanks god my boss allows me to work that way, i really really dislike agile developement, scrum and shit like that :trollface: I'm totally like Matt in terms of developement, until everything is not totally fine tuned and all partial subtasks finished (in mean all tasks sharing same scope of code) it is not release candidate :)

• edited April 2019

@wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    yikes, ns2 users seem quite sensitive about this stuff. Wish I hadn’t bothered to enquire now about any news on the fixes and updates!

Huh? I don’t see anyone being sensitive. Just a few contrasting opinions. What do you expect?

Every minor comment about Ns2 is being jumped on by multiple people. I can speak from experience that there are a number of people on this forum that make ‘contrasting’ comments about every negative comment about Ns2. And then they don’t let it lie and continue until the person that made the initial comment gives up in exasperation.

When it is multiple people every time — and this thread is proof that this happens time and time again — it creates problems because nobody like being ganged up against. It’s not very nice and it is completely counter productive.

Regardless of initial motivations, multiple conversations are descending into unpleasantness.

How can this be good for Ns2?

It would nice to be able to discuss NS2 completely objectively — pros and cons — without the conversation turning ugly.

This doesn’t appear to be possible on this forum at the moment.

• Same song again and again.

• ^^^
    this above is what i i was talking about on previous page.. it always ends like this...

@dendy said:
    Guys please just stop... this leads nowhere ... EyeOhEss said his opinion, it's his right to do it ... I think it should stop there, endless flamewar about who is "right" and who is "not right" doesn't make any sense... Why to add here 10 more pages about which subjective opinion less valid and which more ? They are all just subjective opinions, any of them more or less valid...

• This is why we cant have nice things...

• When exporting stems from NS2 and importing them into Logic, I am finding that the .WAV files are importing 1 tick short. So when you loop them they drift out of time.

A ‘bounce in place’ in Logic ‘fixes’ the issue.

I am not sure if the bug is within logic or Ns2 but I have not noticed this happening with loops exported from other iOS apps.

I only use logic on the Mac so am unsure if it also affects other apps such as Live.

• edited April 2019

@klownshed hm that's strange... do you have these 3 buttons turned off ??

Can you provide some example project with this issue + screenshot of export screen settings ?

• @dendy said:
    @klownshed hm that's strange... do you have these 3 buttons turned off ??

Can you provide some example project with this issue + screenshot of export screen settings ?

As you can see all the loops come out as 7 3 3 239 long (there are 240 tick per quarter in Logic).

Exorted with render tail and the trims turned off.

Both projects set to exactly 98 bpm. Exported at 44.1Khz 16 bit.

• ok wow.. that is officially weird ... tried to do same thing - and it fits perfectly:

I'm using reasampling to loops a lot so i would immediately notice if there is something wrong with export ...

Can you please send me this project (ideally both - NS project and Logic project) - i have to look at it more closely ..

• edited April 2019

@dendy said:
    ok wow.. that is officially weird ... tried to do same thing - and it fits perfectly:

I'm using reasampling to loops a lot so i would immediately notice if there is something wrong with export ...

Can you please send me this project (ideally both - NS project and Logic project) - i have to look at it more closely ..

I just created a new project.

Set the tempo to 98 bpm to match my example above.

Created a quick 4 bar loop using the default slate rock solid kit.

Soloed and exported the track.

Imported into Logic: it was exactly 4 bars in Logic. 4 0 0 0

Added an EOS 2 and exported again.

3 3 3 239 long.

EDIT:

Added a few more tracks using the default instruments with NO FX added.

Each track exported as 3 3 3 239 long. You only need to add one au fx to one track for all tracks to be 1 tick short.

EDIT 2

Repeated the above substituting EOS2 for ZeroChorus.

Same bug. Loop is short by 1 tick.

Its not just audio damage plugins that cause this issue.

Every track is 1 tick short no matter the loop length. And it’s repeatable with various au fx.

• edited April 2019

did same, still 4 0 0 0 .. no matter if i put Eos or just one or multiple tracks .. i first though it is some bug which is already fixed in current beta, but then i reverted to public version - still everything OK ..

try please this project - there are 4 tracks with Slates, Eos on each one.. try load it into NS2, run export, try load exported wavs it into Logic ..
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgreqr17xt5c0p9/TestProject.nsa?dl=0

And here are tracks from that project exported .. (if i load them into logic, they are exactly 8 0 0 0 long)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ha1wtd9b8hfao6/TestProject.zip?dl=0

• edited April 2019

H> @dendy said:

did same, still 4 0 0 0 .. no matter if i put Eos or just one or multiple tracks .. i first though it is some bug which is already fixed in current beta, but then i reverted to public version - still everything OK ..

try please this project - there are 4 tracks with Slates, Eos on each one.. try load it into NS2, run export, try load exported wavs it into Logic ..
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgreqr17xt5c0p9/TestProject.nsa?dl=0

And here are tracks from that project exported .. (if i load them into logic, they are exactly 8 0 0 0 long)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ha1wtd9b8hfao6/TestProject.zip?dl=0

Yeah, they import as 8 0 0 0 into Logic.

• edited April 2019

Are you using the release version of NS2?

yes..

Send me some your project which is exported wrong on your side, i will try it..

Edit: one more question - if you try play project immediately AFTER export - is Eos still working ok ?

This discussion has been closed.