Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 official thread

Comments

• @klownshed said:
    @lovadamusic sorry, but @EyeOhEss has a valid point. NS2 has been out for many months and there have been no bug fix releases.

I don’t think it is unreasonable to wonder why bug fixes aren’t being released more quickly. The fact it took so long to be developed is indeed irrelevant.

The developer of NS2 shouldn’t be treated differently to any other developer.

Ah, I don't think you understand, we know the family well, we summer together and they're such lovely people...

• It’s probably because Matt is a one man operation. Which doesn’t make things better . I’m still betting on Stagelight vis a vis future developments and customer support .

• I don’t think Matt thought that it was going to be so bug free at launch. Sure there are a few, but nothing major at all. So I think he probably is working on a few bigger items to push out. Either way, it’s the most solid and easily the most efficient sequencer/synth/drum machine package I’ve ever used on iOS. It hasn’t stopped me from making music, it’s exactly the opposite. Would I buy it again knowing exactly what I know right now? Absolutely. No hesitation. Because I’ve written better music in it than I have in anything else and it’s been a more enjoyable process. He can take as long as he wants. It’s always golden.

• I too count myself in as someone who would still purchase it even with the delays in releasing updates. It’s worth it just as it is now. That’s not to say I’m not impatient for missing features, but I would still use it even if it never had another update, and feel the purchase was worth every penny.

I respect the developer’s judgement as to his chosen development strategy. It’s presumptuous to think otherwise with no skin in the game. IMO.

• edited April 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wimwim
    edited April 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

@wim said:
    I too count myself in as someone who would still purchase it even with the delays in releasing updates. It’s worth it just as it is now. That’s not to say I’m not impatient for missing features, but I would still use it even if it never had another update, and feel the purchase was worth every penny.

I respect the developer’s judgement as to his chosen development strategy. It’s presumptuous to think otherwise with no skin in the game. IMO.

Again, no one was questioning the worth of what is already there. Just the lack of fixes releases that are already addressed in beta for months now it seems. It’s not a very reassuring strategy compared to those of some other one man devs out there.

IOS is a troublesome platform for various reasons. Seeing known issues become fixed but not released is a concern as it implies that the dev simply doesn’t have time to put the bug fixes out while also working on the things he’s inclined to. In iOS that can mean serious problems for groups of users at the drop of a hat, personally it doesn’t give me confidence to buy ns2 if potentially I’ll be waiting months whenever unforeseen things go wrong like the current StepPolyArp compatibility bug.

As recent examples both Atom and Koala have seen updates very soon after release. Generally some quite rapid bug fix updates seem to follow an initial release and then the frequency slows down. But it’s been months now and no sign of even the confirmed bug fixes.

So don’t buy it then. It’s cool. 👊

Not sure what you’re hoping to accomplish here. But no one is begrudging you saying what you feel the need to say. Peace bro. 😎

• @wim said:
    I too count myself in as someone who would still purchase it even with the delays in releasing updates. It’s worth it just as it is now. That’s not to say I’m not impatient for missing features, but I would still use it even if it never had another update, and feel the purchase was worth every penny.

Right. And we should accept that iOS is not the mainstream OS for music production.
    When choosing iOS over Windows/MacOS, we accept that we don't get all the "pro" features and we more or less have to take the apps as they are and either purchase them or not.
    Desktop DAWs usually have a respectable amount of developers behind them, on iOS it's more often just one guy, usually working in other projects or jobs to make their living.

• edited April 2019
  • @EyeOhEss said:

Well yeah not planning to buy in its current state with no ETA’s on horizon. But that’s the whole point of the discussion. I don’t think anyone needs to be educated that they have the right to choose whether to purchase something or not :)

It seems like some NS2 users feel like they’re doing the dev a big favour by saying stuff along the lines of ‘no problems here personally, let the dev do what they like and not release the bug fixes until they feel like it’, but they’re actually doing him a disservice as sales like mine are being lost because potential customers don’t feel like the app is well supported.

I believe we all have a very clear idea of your feelings on this matter at this point.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

Well yeah not planning to buy in its current state with no ETA’s on horizon. But that’s the whole point of the discussion. I don’t think anyone needs to be educated that they have the right to choose whether to purchase something or not :)

It seems like some NS2 users feel like they’re doing the dev a big favour but by saying stuff along the lines of ‘no problems here personally, let the dev do what they like and not release the bug fixes until they feel like it’, but they’re actually doing him a disservice as sales like mine are being lost because potential customers don’t feel like the app is well supported.

OK. So, I guess you feel like if you can whip up enough complaints then it’ll affect the pace of development. Fair enough, I don’t think it’ll work, but more power to ya’. (Sincerely, not sarcastically.)

• I biught NS2 hoping to use it as a production tool but the lack of support for sustain pedal turned it useless for me (I’m a keyboard player). I know there’s a workaround using a script with Midifire but I’m trying to simplify things, not to complicate them with multiple apps. Then I had hopes on a quick update with bug fixes and support for sustain pedal, but it’s been months since release and nothing happened. I don’t know what the dev is doing but I can’t wait forever, life is too short, and when the update finally comes we’ll have another IOS version with new issues, so I’m out. Money lost, and I’m very disappointed. I don’t blame anyone other than myself, but I learned a lesson.
    I strongly support devs that deliver frequent updates with just a few fixes.

• Yeh. No sustain pedal is real head scratcher. I can definitely see why that’s a show stopper for many.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:
    yikes, ns2 users seem quite sensitive about this stuff. Wish I hadn’t bothered to enquire now about any news on the fixes and updates!

Huh? I don’t see anyone being sensitive. Just a few contrasting opinions. What do you expect?

• edited April 2019

Guys please just stop... this leads nowhere ... EyeOhEss said his opinion, it's his right to do it ... I think it should stop there, endless flamewar about who is "right" and who is "not right" doesn't make any sense... Why to add here 10 more pages about which subjective opinion less valid and which more ? They are all just subjective opinions, any of them more or less valid...

• @EyeOhEss said:

@wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    yikes, ns2 users seem quite sensitive about this stuff. Wish I hadn’t bothered to enquire now about any news on the fixes and updates!

Huh? I don’t see anyone being sensitive. Just a few contrasting opinions. What do you expect?

It just seems like a more defensive crowd than most. Some users evidently resenting other people voicing opinions and some users defending the lack of bug fix releases with some posts even going as far to imply that it’s a good thing....feels a little sensitive to me ;)

Yeah I could see where it could appear satisfied folks are defensive. But one voiced opinion deserves another. Nothing wrong with it. If you have opinions one way or another, feel free to voice them. That’s what public forums are for. But, because of that, you will probably get other peoples opinions about it as well because they have the same right as you do. Nothing wrong with that either. That’s the point of a discussion forum :smile:

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@EyeOhEss said:
    It just seems like a more defensive crowd than most. Some users evidently resenting other people voicing opinions and some users defending the lack of bug fix releases with some posts even going as far to imply that it’s a good thing....feels a little sensitive to me ;)

Sure, fine. I fail to see why that’s relevant, but OK.

You’ll no doubt think this is being defensive. But I was pondering the bigger picture...

• Cubasis: probably the best AU midi support. Took awhile though.
    • BM3: serious issues. No fix in sight for many months now.
    • Auria Pro: serious issues. A couple of botched fixes that took a long time to be addressed. Apparently getting very close to being resolved in beta as I write this.
    • Apple Garage Band: no support at all, no word when
    • StageLight: no support at all yet. Possibly soon.
    • ModStep: No support at all, no word when.
    • AudioEvolution Mobile: Supported. I’ve not heard of issues.
    • Caustic: No support
    • Sunvox: No support
    • Gadget: No support
    • FL Studio: No support

Say what you want, but NS2 doesn’t stack up all that bad. That’s not defensiveness, it’s setting the context.

But, I get it. You want outrage because you think that’ll make a difference. That’s cool. But it does annoy me just a tiny bit to be called sensitive or defensive just because I have a different opinion, when in fact there’s no emotion whatever either way on my part.

• @dendy said:
    Guys please just stop... this leads nowhere ... EyeOhEss said his opinion, it's his right to do it ... I think it should stop there, endless flamewar about who is "right" and who is "not right" doesn't make any sense... Why to add here 10 more pages about which subjective opinion less valid and which more ? They are all just subjective opinions, any of hem more or less valid...

I don’t think 10 more pages of anything are going to really matter. This thread is 60 pages long, nobody is going back to read anything. If they did they would see the repost about Matt’s vague timeline for releases from the previous forum right before release. I’d say Matt’s roughly on track. He didn’t know what it would be like at launch, so it’s a good guideline IMO. If folks really want to know, they can do the research :smile:

The good thing for me is I trust Matt and I trust you and how dedicated you are to make sure the product will always be solid and efficient. It’s been worth it and look forward to whatever comes next.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@dendy said:
    Guys please just stop... this leads nowhere ... EyeOhEss said his opinion, it's his right to do it ... I think it should stop there, endless flamewar about who is "right" and who is "not right" doesn't make any sense... Why to add here 10 more pages about which subjective opinion less valid and which more ? They are all just subjective opinions, any of them more or less valid...

What flame war? Jesus Dendy. It’s just a polite discussion. (So far... B) )

• edited April 2019
  • @wim said:

@dendy said:

What flame war? Jesus Dendy. It’s just a polite discussion.

I’d agree. It’s a forum. Peeps want to chat about stuff. No attacks have been made, lots of spirited discussion. It’s good stuff! People state their opinions, others post theirs. Things that make sense or don’t become apparent one way or another. That’s just normal life.

• @EyeOhEss said:
    It pissed me off a tiny bit when you first assumed that my enquiring about news on fixes was some kind of tactic to rally change. Not just an enquiry and an opinion. So I guess we’re even ;)

Fair enough. Though I didn’t come to that conclusion from your first post. Only after several more. But yeh, even. 👊

• @wim said:

• Auria Pro: serious issues. A couple of botched fixes that took a long time to be addressed. Apparently getting very close to being resolved in beta as I write this.

IMO, that is an insanely accurate list. I own everything on that list except Cubasis and I can agree with your viewpoint on them.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

@drez said:

@wim said:

IMO, that is an insanely accurate list. I own everything on that list except Cubasis and I can agree with your viewpoint on them.

This list thing confuses me. You’re both saying that apps that have received fix updates (as all of those have I think?) are worse supported than an app that hasn’t had any fix updates? How does that calculate?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding?

My point didn’t have anything to do with how often updates come out, which is your complaint about NS2. It was putting only AUv3 midi support in perspective. It was tangential so I can see why it was confusing.

The bug you mentioned as being serious - StepPolyArp Unit - is a more General AUv3 midi support issue, which is what got me thinking about NS2’s relative progress in that area. Sorry for the confusion.

• edited April 2019
  • edited April 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

@drez said:

@wim said:

This list thing confuses me. You’re both saying that apps that have received fix updates (as all of those have I think?) are worse supported than an app that hasn’t had any fix updates? How does that calculate?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding?

For me, that list shows me a bunch of DAWs and sequencers that have been around for a long time, but still aren’t as solid and stable as NS2 on its release day. Have they all had fixes? Sure. But so has NS2, they are just in beta, and some sort of updates and fixes have confirmed by at least one beta tester. Personally, that’s good enough for me because I have seen how solid the release was.

I am normally a supporter of agile methodologies...release often and correct often. It works well in the sense that you can make micro adjustments. But it inherently suggests that you will have more of a chance to release broken code that needs changes or you release features that need adjusting. But I am starting to see where this model doesn’t work for iOS because you can’t support multiple versions...you release what you release and that’s the ONLY path. There’s no way to do canary deployments, blue/green, keep support and fixes for different feature trains (for example, no 1.x legacy version fixes and alongside the new 2.x release). It just isn’t possible on this platform.

So because of that, it would appear that blip has chosen stability over bug management. Calculated efficiency over good enough. Some people agree with the approach, some do not. But I don’t think that’s going to change blips approach. He’s 6 years invested in it and, IMO, has been successful for him.

I saw you mention the ATOM and Koala devs as ones to release often. Those apps are also extremely narrow in scope compared to the capabilities of NS2. They aren’t even close to being in the same category of complexity and cross feature dependency . Further, many in the Koala thread were asking to tap the breaks on releases to make sure it was stable because it was breaking functionality every release. Nothing wrong with that approach if the dev wants to do it, it just shows the possible impact of going the other direction with your release cycles.

So yeah, the list as I see it highlights how amazingLy solid the NS2 release was in comparison. Matt started his release plans and it pretty much matches what is happening. I don’t think he released fix versions because it was more solid at release than ought it would be. Are their omitted things (midi plugin recording, and truly strange the lack of sustain pedal)? Yes but those fixes are probably touching more parts of the application then are apparent and Matt wants to make sure when they are released they are solid. Hard to fault the logic when it’s been proven to work for him.

-edit
    I see where win quantified the list as Midi AU support. But, looking at the viewpoint I had above, my assessment of deployment practice still holds true.

• edited April 2019
This discussion has been closed.