Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 official thread

Comments

• edited April 2019

@McD said:
    I poke in here to look for clues and this one is huge (while I wait for audio to be added).

@drez said:
    4 iSymphonic instances but it kept blowing up.
    Now have 10 orchestral (iSymphonic) sampled Obsidian’s running with no hiccups.

I need to look into this. Can someone make a video to show the way? Or point to a decent demo of this sampling feature using AU instruments for making "clones".

Bottom line: people love tools that can scale up without crashing. Scaling up keeps getting easier and but that crashing result is more and more common.

Maybe it is using this app? Synthjacker, which has NS2 export...

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/503/synthjacker-auto-sampler-app/p1

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/synthjacker/id1445018791

• Awesome, wasn't going to buy synthjacker but that is a hell of an upgrade/enhancement for NS2/Obsidian users.

• @McD said:
    I poke in here to look for clues and this one is huge (while I wait for audio to be added).

@drez said:
    4 iSymphonic instances but it kept blowing up.
    Now have 10 orchestral (iSymphonic) sampled Obsidian’s running with no hiccups.

I need to look into this. Can someone make a video to show the way? Or point to a decent demo of this sampling feature using AU instruments for making "clones".

Bottom line: people love tools that can scale up without crashing. Scaling up keeps getting easier and but that crashing result is more and more common.

Ooooooh I see what i’ve done. The words I typed did not reflect what I did :lol:

What I meant was that I replaced them with 10 Obsidians that are using samples and those are replacing iSymphonic. I am using patches from the Factory and IAP soundbanks. I haven’t sampled my own yet. I was considering doing that with some desktop libraries but then I realized I was just putting off finishing this song, so I’m going with what is available right now in NS2. And honestly, after some tweaking to work in my specific arrangement, they’ve really done quite well. I mean, could I just export the midi and do it with a 50Gig string library on my desktop? Sure, but where’s the fun in that!

I finally had to move my latency to high because I was getting some crackles, but that’s after a section that is 22 simultaneous tracks, 10 of those are the sampled strings, and also an additional +10 sends with various effects. Plus insert effects. I have 2-4 insert effects per channel and several that look like this...

64 tracks total. I’ve got 4 drum kits, 14 return tracks, and 14 group tracks, and all the the group tracks have there own effects like compressors, EQ’s, and sends to the returns. The rest are all Obsidian except one SynthMaster instance and one Ravenscroft piano track. I replaced one SynthMaster track with an Obsidian patch that sounded almost identical and I could probably do it on this other one, but I’ll do that last if I get around to it. I double the Ravenscroft with an Obsidian piano for some of the parts i’m wanting to get some real beef on, but Ravenscroft sounds way better, obviously.

Now...does it “sound” as good as a desktop if I did the same thing in Ableton (my personal desktop Host) using NI Strings, replacing a lot of the synths with U-he’s plugins (own em all) or anything out of Komplete Ultimate or Serum or Ohmicide for distortion (the best distortion, imo) etc etc? Sure...without a doubt. But I’d need to update my desktop :lol: if I just moved the midi over and replaced the patches with those powerful desktop plugins. It would be a fun experiment, but that ruins the fun over doing it all on an iPad to say I did it.

The fact that I’ve not had to think about CPU or memory constraints at all until this point is nothing short of remarkable. And zero audio tracks...It’s all MIDI running plugins. Crazy.

• @drez said:
    The words I typed did not reflect what I did :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to set me straight. I did follow the extra clue to understand what "SynthJacker" can provide in NS2 and that's work investigating using the "external device" loop-back trick of the PreSonus AudioBus interface and NOT the SynthJcker AU Host feature (which isn't ready for prime time).

Maybe I should check out an NS2 IAP. I love iSymphonic so where should I start in NS2?

• @McD said:
    Maybe I should check out an NS2 IAP. I love iSymphonic so where should I start in NS2?

Only 2 IAP's looked close... Acoustic 1 and Acoustic 2. I bought Acoustic 1 and then listened to the 3 demo projects provided. I wish the demo was available to listen to first. Oh well. Back to waiting for Atom to ship. The Fugue Machine update with AUv3 is going to tide me over until then.

• @McD said:

@McD said:

Only 2 IAP's looked close... Acoustic 1 and Acoustic 2. I bought Acoustic 1 and then listened to the 3 demo projects provided. I wish the demo was available to listen to first. Oh well. Back to waiting for Atom to ship. The Fugue Machine update with AUv3 is going to tide me over until then.

Yeah those two packs are the ones. That SixYears song on my soundcloud uses only orchestral patches from Obsidian. It’s actually 100% NS2.

• McDMcD
    edited April 2019

@drez said:
    Yeah those two packs are the ones. That SixYears song on my soundcloud uses only orchestral patches from Obsidian. It’s actually 100% NS2.

I'll check it out. Those provided demos did little for me. UPDATE: Finding your soundcloud work is proving harder than I expected.

• @McD said:

@drez said:

I'll check it out. Those provided demos did little for me. UPDATE: Finding your soundcloud work is proving harder than I expected.

Ha I apologize. I’m dreznicek there.

• McDMcD
    edited April 2019

@drez said:

@McD said:

@drez said:

I found it by paging through the NS2 "Song" thread... You really know your tools and that's a great project. I'm getting a better sense of where NS2 fits in the overall IOS tool scene. I think I'm going to keep with AUM. Atom for MIDI Looping will give me a boost. I should also give Loopy HD a more serious investigation. I like music that sounds like it was recorded in studios with great mic's... I want that illusion in my work.

• @McD said:

@drez said:

@McD said:

@drez said:

I found it by paging through the NS2 "Song" thread... You really know your tools and that's a great project. I'm getting a better sense of where NS2 fits in the overall IOS tool scene. I think I'm going to keep with AUM. Atom for MIDI Looping will give me a boost. I should also give Loopy HD a more serious investigation. I like music that sounds like it was recorded in studios with great mic's... I want that illusion in my work.

Listening through your soundcloud and am very impressed! You are definitely an accomplished musician and have a keen ear for clarity and your effects are very tasteful. ATOM looks really awesome and hope that it works for you and your workflow.

• what does synthJacker do for ns2/obsidian users? I have synthjacker, but how do you use it with NS2/obsidian ? i’m very interested. > @dustgod said:

Awesome, wasn't going to buy synthjacker but that is a hell of an upgrade/enhancement for NS2/Obsidian users.

• in can export 3 layers splitted to 3 subfolders + you can define naming convention for wav files in Obsidian autoload compatible format (which is "name space notename.wav"

this helps ypu very quickly, using Obsidian's autolmapping feature, load these 3 layers to 3 oscillator slots

• that’s pretty cool, are there any videos for this procedure online? that could be pretty useful. > @dendy said:

in can export 3 layers splitted to 3 subfolders + you can define naming convention for wav files in Obsidian autoload compatible format (which is "name space notename.wav"

this helps ypu very quickly, using Obsidian's autolmapping feature, load these 3 layers to 3 oscillator slots

• @dendy said:
    do you mean audio tracks ? no, that's planned after iphone version (probably somewhere in second half of this year)
    But you can play loops using Slate, or if you use Obsidian you can even use sample start automation to get sort of "fake time-stretch" effect, so you loop adjusts to tempo changes without changing pitch. It's not perfect, but it works in many cases very good (especially for drum loops, but also for melodic loops).
    Check this video from appros 1:05, the bar "Resampled Loop" is just wav loop, as you can hear, even when tempo is speeded up, it still plays "in sync" ...

for more description how to do this trick, read this thread:
    https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/355/little-trick-for-timestretched-drumloop

i used this trick also for chord melody which starts at 1:00 approx, which is resampled loop which i initially created in tempo about 10 bpm slower but then i decided to make track faster, and also that gated part of that chord melody is made using this sample start automation trick.

THanks

• edited April 2019

@eross said:
    that’s pretty cool, are there any videos for this procedure online? that could be pretty useful. > @dendy said:

in can export 3 layers splitted to 3 subfolders + you can define naming convention for wav files in Obsidian autoload compatible format (which is "name space notename.wav"

but it’s important to mention Synthjacker first needs to be a bit polished - there is currently few small bugs related to AU resampling - but dev knows about them and he is pretty commited to solve them all. One of them is that sampled note wav files have small silence at beginning, so you need to trim them manually in some audio editor ..

After polishing, it will be really handy tool !

• Going to be universal?
    Time on audio?

• @drez said:
    Listening through your soundcloud and am very impressed!

Thanks. We all love positive feedback. I tend to post recordings I make using AUM when I buy something new to demonstrate a the App. I have terrible work habits and when I hear something that's really assembled well with a lot of effort on a focused creation I respect that dedication to the work. Your soundcloud project hit me as a very concentrated
    design and I respect that discipline in a piece.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:
    After glancing the blip forum it sounds like some fixes that have been addressed in beta are being held back for a long time. StepPolyArp fix and so on...

I want to check NS2 out but the seriously slow rollout of fixes/updates is a huge concern. Any news on anything?

I've been holding off on a purchase until the issues with KB-1 are resolved...

Has there even been an update since the launch?

• edited April 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah, the news is that it’s not a DAW; it’s a “music production environment.” It took like one guy working 6 years on it. It’s not a $400 app. People don’t really expect the upgrades are just going to come pouring out.

Well, scratch that last bit. It does a lot really well. A bargain at the price.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@lovadamusic said:
    Yeah, the news is that it’s not a DAW; it’s a “music production environment.” It took like one guy working 6 years on it. It’s not a $400 app. People don’t really expect the upgrades are just going to come pouring out.

Erm..Looks like a DAW to me?! especially with audio tracks planned..

The point is that things like StepPolyArp have been fixed for a while judging by the comments over on the Blip forum. But the dev is taking forever pushing fixes out, which doesn’t give me much faith in a purchase if it’s a sign of how slow this app will receive general bug fixes that might be vital to some users and are already addressed in beta for a long time.... look at the Atom dev for example, already he has an update out addressing issues. Mere days after release... Nanostudio has been out for months now, and nothing....

NS2 took 6 years to develop from the original. How long did Atom take?

NS2 may be billed as a DAW after it gets audio tracks. It doesn’t have them now, and the dev doesn’t call it a DAW. Why anyone who can't use it without audio tracks is even in the picture, I don't know. It’s a big app right now that does a lot very well, but it’s one guy working at whatever pace he works at. Sounds like it’s not fast enough for you. What are you expecting the answer here’s going to be?

• @EyeOhEss said:

@lovadamusic said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@lovadamusic said:
    Yeah, the news is that it’s not a DAW; it’s a “music production environment.” It took like one guy working 6 years on it. It’s not a $400 app. People don’t really expect the upgrades are just going to come pouring out.

The point is that things like StepPolyArp have been fixed for a while judging by the comments over on the Blip forum. But the dev is taking forever pushing fixes out, which doesn’t give me much faith in a purchase if it’s a sign of how slow this app will receive general bug fixes that might be vital to some users and are already addressed in beta for a long time.... look at the Atom dev for example, already he has an update out addressing issues. Mere days after release... Nanostudio has been out for months now, and nothing....

NS2 may be billed as a DAW after it gets audio tracks. It doesn’t have them now, and the dev doesn’t call it a DAW. Why anyone who can't use it without audio tracks is even in the picture, I don't know. It’s a big app right now that does a lot very well, but it’s one guy working at whatever pace he works at. Sounds like it’s not fast enough for you. What are you expecting the answer here’s going to be?

You’re completely missing my point and being unnecessarily hostile and defensive.

I’m saying that if even fixes that have been addressed successfully in beta for a long time aren’t being pushed out months later then I don’t really feel confident in buying the app if that’s how things are generally going to proceed. I for one would require audio tracks and fx automation so things like the general non-existent bug fix releases don’t give much confidence in buying ahead of those things being concrete.

Doesn’t matter if dev or marketing calls it a daw or not. It is one.

Doesn’t matter how long an app took to develop, after its released and people have paid for it or are weighing up a purchase, the clocks are reset. Just because something took 6 years to develop that doesn’t mean it should take any longer than other apps to release bug fixes. Especially when they are already addressed and long available for beta testers. It’s not ‘wrong’ to hold fixes back, the dev can choose to fix/update as infrequently as he likes, but it certainly isn’t going to win any customer support awards or give potential users confidence by holding existing fixes back for so long.

I was asking if anybody had any news. It seems they don’t. No need for reactionary tangent arguments.

One person's reactionary tangent arguments can be another's good advice. I have no inside info, but I'm saying the app, which is not a DAW, is great for those who like how it works today. I'm saying that, if it takes 6 years to develop an app, a person interested in it should take that as an indication of its complexity and rate of progress. If it's not for you as it exists today, and that appears obvious, then it would be wise to wait until it meets your requirements. The only way you'll know for sure is if and when that happens.

You're complaining about something you don't even own, possibly discouraging more people from supporting it, which would diminish its chances of ever working for you. My counter is that the app has much going for it. Anyone looking for a music studio type app, possibly a linear sequencing alternative to Gadget, NS2 is a definite consideration, even if it's never updated. If it lacks something critical for you, I think the choice should be obvious.

• @lovadamusic said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@lovadamusic said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@lovadamusic said:

You’re completely missing my point and being unnecessarily hostile and defensive.

I’m saying that if even fixes that have been addressed successfully in beta for a long time aren’t being pushed out months later then I don’t really feel confident in buying the app if that’s how things are generally going to proceed. I for one would require audio tracks and fx automation so things like the general non-existent bug fix releases don’t give much confidence in buying ahead of those things being concrete.

Doesn’t matter if dev or marketing calls it a daw or not. It is one.

Doesn’t matter how long an app took to develop, after its released and people have paid for it or are weighing up a purchase, the clocks are reset. Just because something took 6 years to develop that doesn’t mean it should take any longer than other apps to release bug fixes. Especially when they are already addressed and long available for beta testers. It’s not ‘wrong’ to hold fixes back, the dev can choose to fix/update as infrequently as he likes, but it certainly isn’t going to win any customer support awards or give potential users confidence by holding existing fixes back for so long.

I was asking if anybody had any news. It seems they don’t. No need for reactionary tangent arguments.

One person's reactionary tangent arguments can be another's good advice. I have no inside info, but I'm saying the app, which is not a DAW, is great for those who like how it works today. I'm saying that, if it takes 6 years to develop an app, a person interested in it should take that as an indication of its complexity and rate of progress. If it's not for you as it exists today, and that appears obvious, then it would be wise to wait until it meets your requirements. The only way you'll know for sure is if and when that happens.

You're complaining about something you don't even own, possibly discouraging more people from supporting it, which would diminish its chances of ever working for you. My counter is that the app has much going for it. Anyone looking for a music studio type app, possibly a linear sequencing alternative to Gadget, NS2 is a definite consideration, even if it's never updated. If it lacks something critical for you, I think the choice should be obvious.

Sane.

• @lovadamusic sorry, but @EyeOhEss has a valid point. NS2 has been out for many months and there have been no bug fix releases.

I don’t think it is unreasonable to wonder why bug fixes aren’t being released more quickly. The fact it took so long to be developed is indeed irrelevant.

The developer of NS2 shouldn’t be treated differently to any other developer.

This discussion has been closed.