Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 official thread

Comments

• @skulptur_sound said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    @skulptur_sound said:

My question about sampling into the synth,. Is there a way to detect the key the sample is in like in caustic’s pcm synth??? I haven’t seen another synth that samples able to do this..

The answer sadly is no, you have to determine the pitch manually.

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Obsidian.html#the-sample-oscillator

Oh, I see you have to name the sample with the key at the end of the name for it to auto detect it, wack..oh well...it’s crazy to me that this feature is in caustics pcm synth and no other sampler, I thought for sure it would be In bm3 by now. Caustic’s pcm synth is hella slept on.

Yep. However Obsidian is more powerful than Caustic and BM3 because it has 3 layers and built in oscillators that can combine with the sample. Mapping multisamples to key ranges is easier in Obsidian than caustic and BM3. Obsidian has more FX than Caustic however BM3 can have more FX. To quickly pitch the sample to the correct root key just create a second oscillator like a sine wave and tune the sample accordingly.

• @3sleeves said:
    Here’s one way to use NS2 for live performance (it gets funkier as it goes on):

There's an Instrument Overview screen which can function sort of like a clip launcher.
    I just layered a bunch of midi loops in the main sequencer and selectively muted them in this jam.
    Realistically, you could have 40+ Obsidian and Slate tracks layered up (or even 60+ on more powerful devices) and turn it into an evolving live set. It really is insanely light on the CPU and battery in my experience with the 2nd gen 12.9 Pro.
    If you have NS2 and like the sounds in this jam you can find the drum kit and a couple of the synths on the NS2 forum, I posted them in the Megathread.

It’s the most stable app on iOS that I’ve seen yet...since NS1 at least.
    It doesn’t do everything everyone may want it to do, but I’m enjoying it immensely as it is and look forward to seeing how it evolves. It’s the only app out that I would consider buying a dedicated iPad for (I’d probably still keep a handful of choice AU effects and AudioShare on it too though😉).

The instrument overview is nice, but it mutes and solos immediately, not after a loop or even a bar.

This is missing for a live setup, IMHO.

• edited December 2018

@3sleeves
    +1 its not a difficult app to learn but over time the techniques can be perfected. While I love gadget for its appearance it seems to me as if the sound engines are on par, and routing instruments together make Ns2 more powerful. Maybe it’s fruitless to say which DAW is number one but I would have to say that all IOS music app developers present and future need to take note of NS2 and try to follow along

• @Shabudua Thanks, rock on!

@tja I understand what you’re saying, but I never like to use Quantize so it makes no difference to me. For those who require quantized triggers it’s easy enough to do some minor sequencing and just shift your loop markers, but then there’s not much to actually “perform” at that point. I think it’s never a bad idea to practice your timing, keep your chops sharp. Different strokes for different folks though.

@LucidMusicInc I’m not sure Gadget actually has any pure synthesizer, think they’re all essentially romplers...maybe Montpelier, but even that is much less versatile than Obsidian in my experience so far. NS2 has won me over with its efficiency and stability mostly, but it’s also very flexible for sound/instrument creation.

• @3sleeves said:
    @tja I understand what you’re saying, but I never like to use Quantize so it makes no difference to me..

+1, I don’t like quantize either in these cases. I want the variation (and sometimes glitchy effects) that I can get by instantly switching tracks on and off. For example, turning a drum track on 1 or 2 beats before the measure.

• Here’s a two minute video showing how I slice my OP-1 drum patches in Slate:

Kind of handy trick for other samples too.

• @3sleeves said:
    Here’s a two minute video showing how I slice my OP-1 drum patches in Slate:

Kind of handy trick for other samples too.

Clever! Thanks for sharing, mate!

• @3sleeves said:

There's an Instrument Overview screen which can function sort of like a clip launcher.
    I just layered a bunch of midi loops in the main sequencer and selectively muted them in this jam.
    Realistically, you could have 40+ Obsidian and Slate tracks layered up (or even 60+ on more powerful devices) and turn it into an evolving live set. It really is insanely light on the CPU and battery in my experience with the 2nd gen 12.9 Pro.
    If you have NS2 and like the sounds in this jam you can find the drum kit and a couple of the synths on the NS2 forum, I posted them in the Megathread.

It doesn’t do everything everyone may want it to do, but I’m enjoying it immensely as it is and look forward to seeing how it evolves. It’s the only app out that I would consider buying a dedicated iPad for (I’d probably still keep a handful of choice AU effects and AudioShare on it too though😉).

Dillicious.

• @3sleeves said:

Dope stuff my dude !

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    I’ve been experimenting with using NS2 to sample its own AUs.

Admittedly it would be nice to be able just press one button and ‘convert midi clip to audio file’ but actually I’ve found it incredibly quick and easy to:

• solo the track
    • mixdown ‘soloed tracks only’ between loop points only
    • add the resulting audio file to a slate pad and trigger that in the same position as the AU midi clip

Three simple steps, job done.

It’s great for way to kind of ‘freeze an AU track’ (you can just mute the original AU track and it then seems not to use much/any CPU power).

Great also for capturing lots of different little loops, phrases and one shots from various different AUs that you can just load in, mess about with, sample, and then unload/delete (so your project isn’t full of AU tracks).

What would be nice would be to somehow live sample one of NS2’s tracks as live audio output (then feed this back into NS2) too. That way you could ‘play’ AU synth controls, AUFXs etc and record that ‘performance’ element too.

Inspiring.

I’ve been experimenting with using NS2 to sample its own AUs.

Admittedly it would be nice to be able just press one button and ‘convert midi clip to audio file’ but actually I’ve found it incredibly quick and easy to:

• solo the track
    • mixdown ‘soloed tracks only’ between loop points only
    • add the resulting audio file to a slate pad and trigger that in the same position as the AU midi clip

Three simple steps, job done.

It’s great for way to kind of ‘freeze an AU track’ (you can just mute the original AU track and it then seems not to use much/any CPU power).

Great also for capturing lots of different little loops, phrases and one shots from various different AUs that you can just load in, mess about with, sample, and then unload/delete (so your project isn’t full of AU tracks).

What would be nice would be to somehow live sample one of NS2’s tracks as live audio output (then feed this back into NS2) too. That way you could ‘play’ AU synth controls, AUFXs etc and record that ‘performance’ element too.

Great idea! You could essentially use this technique as kinda a clip launcher, but as audio not midi obviously

• I gotta say ns2 has been extremely stable for me, and loads all my au's every time I open a song, even after an iPad reboot, another app that I really like doesn't seem to be loading all my aus after I reboot, so... It's kinda unusable right now, but ns2 has been issue free!

• edited December 2018

@syrupcore said:

@3sleeves said:

Dillicious.

This is great, and I’d also discovered the same thing. The one thing I wish, though, is that you could have an option for it not to mute the audio but it just to mute the midi content. In the settings there is actually an option for mute to be either ‘audio’ or ‘audio + content’ (content means midi events). For producing work that makes sense. But for live ‘playing’ with mutes it would really make sense to have an option which was ‘content only’ (but not audio). That means you’d still still hear effect tails and longer releases when you muted a track and it wouldn’t be such as harsh and obvious/abrupt ‘mute’.

Gadget allows midi only mute when you bring up the function option on the scenes view and every clip has a mute option appear over it. That’s a midi mute not an audio mute and it makes it really nice to bring clips in and out smoothly while ‘playing’ live.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@syrupcore said:

@3sleeves said:

Dillicious.

This is great, and I’d also discovered the same thing. The one thing I wish, though, is that you could have an option for it not to mute the audio but it just to mute the midi content. In the settings there is actually an option for mute to be either ‘audio’ or ‘audio + content’ (content means midi events). For producing work that makes sense. But for live ‘playing’ with mutes it would really make sense to have an option which was ‘content only’ (but not audio). That means you’d still still hear effect tails and longer releases when you muted a track and it wouldn’t be such as harsh and obvious/abrupt ‘mute’.

Gadget allows midi only mute when you bring up the function option on the scenes view and every clip has a mute option appear over it. That’s a midi mute not an audio mute and it makes it really nice to bring clips in and out smoothly while ‘playing’ live.

Very nice idea.
    Would you post that over at the NS2 forum?

• @3sleeves said:

@LucidMusicInc I’m not sure Gadget actually has any pure synthesizer, think they’re all essentially romplers...maybe Montpelier, but even that is much less versatile than Obsidian in my experience so far. NS2 has won me over with its efficiency and stability mostly, but it’s also very flexible for sound/instrument creation.

Some of the Gadget synths are synths and not ROMplers.

I return you to your previously scheduled programming.

• @tja said:

@syrupcore said:

@3sleeves said:

Dillicious.

Very nice idea.
    Would you post that over at the NS2 forum?

Oh, probably. When I get round to registering etc

• edited December 2018

@espiegel123 said:

@3sleeves said:

Some of the Gadget synths are synths and not ROMplers.

I return you to your previously scheduled programming.

Yeah!

• Berlin
    • Phoenix
    • Kiev (uses samples but mashes them)
    • IWavestation (wavetable / vector synthesis)
    • Dublin
    • Lisbon
    • Chicago
    • Karmata
    • Lexington
    • Miami
    • Kingston
    • Helsinki
    • Tokyo

As far as I know none of these should be classed as ‘Romplers’ but correct me if I'm wrong.

• edited December 2018

And Vancouver is a very simple, but quite nice, sampler.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@syrupcore said:

@3sleeves said:

Dillicious.

IMO muting from the mixer should mute audio. Muting a part (pattern) should mute content. The instrument overview is a different kinda thing. I think it should mute content and audio, or have separate mute buttons.

I’m not interested in pursuing it over at the NS2 forum. It wouldn’t make it into the priorities list for some time anyway.

• @espiegel123 @Matt_Fletcher_2000
    I stand corrected, guess what threw me about the various Gadget synths is that they have rather limited controls. Figured part of the reason was the limitation of having a sample as the source tone rather than actual oscillators. Knowing that those are true synths disappointments me in a new way, feels like they intentionally stifled their potential use in order to sell more IAPs then. Not surprising, but still disappointing.

Vancouver would be a handy app on its own, but it is a very basic sampler.
    Haven’t tried in a while, is there a way to sample directly into Vancouver yet? Or into Bilbao? Or Abu Dhabi?
    Abu Dhabi can chop samples similar to the method I use in Slate though.

• @3sleeves said:
    @espiegel123 @Matt_Fletcher_2000
    I stand corrected, guess what threw me about the various Gadget synths is that they have rather limited controls. Figured part of the reason was the limitation of having a sample as the source tone rather than actual oscillators. Knowing that those are true synths disappointments me in a new way, feels like they intentionally stifled their potential use in order to sell more IAPs then. Not surprising, but still disappointing.

Haven’t tried in a while, is there a way to sample directly into Vancouver yet? Or into Bilbao? Or Abu Dhabi?

Montpelier (iMono/Poly) and Lexington are full-fledged synths with the full-complement of controls (and sound great). Some of the other non-rompler synths are intentionally simplified but still quite useful. By having a more limited parameter set, they are easier for non-experts to tweak and easy on the CPU. But, there is a pretty healthy variety between them.

I have ended up using some of them a lot more than I would have thought even in non-Gadget projects.

• @3sleeves said:
    @espiegel123 @Matt_Fletcher_2000

I hate how Vancouver speeds up the sample as you play up on the keys rather than just pitching it up and down, that was a big disappointment to me

• edited December 2018

@espiegel123 said:
    Montpelier (iMono/Poly) and Lexington are full-fledged synths with the full-complement of controls (and sound great). Some of the other non-rompler synths are intentionally simplified but still quite useful. By having a more limited parameter set, they are easier for non-experts to tweak and easy on the CPU. But, there is a pretty healthy variety between them.

+1. It’s the immediacy and personality of the little gadgets that makes Gadget so much fun. I mean, it’s definitely not that sequencer...

• edited December 2018

I'm away from my iPad rn so I can't test it but wondering if side chain compression is possible in ns2?

• @reasOne said:
    I'm away from my iPad rn so I can't test it but wondering if side chain compression is possible in ns2?

Absolutely :)

• @LeeB said:

@reasOne said:

Absolutely :)

Haven’t found it yet. How do I do it in NS2? Thanks for a pointer...

• edited December 2018

@david_2017 said:

If you open a compressor from the audio fx tab on the mixer channel of the track you want to compress/sidechain, then go to the mixer channel of the source of the sidechain, i.e your Kick channel and tap send fx tab. From there add an audio send. In the list that appears, you will see a option for your chosen destination track’s Compressor sidechain, tap that.
    Now if you go back to the compressor of the track you want to compress, you will see the input of the kick channel on the external sidechain meter (provided the track is playing).
    Typical setting may be a fast attack, release to taste, faitlrly high ratio and threshold down until you get desired pump.

Hope that helps 👍🏼

• edited December 2018

@oat_phipps said:
    So I've read the manual and completed a song with it, and I like it, but don't love it. The main things for me

1) Synth and all the sub menus don't feel natural to program. The absence of a modwheel hurts it. As it is, it can get unique sounds via the range of filters but I can't do anything truly wild with it. Based on my experimentation and the presets, it seems designed for more usable, cookie-cutter synth sounds than anything. Still, it's functional and sounds pretty good if not great.

2) Not having per pad aufx available on Slate. Big, big buzzkill. It's nice to import a full kit of 16 samples (hello, Patterning 8 track limitation), but it really sucks not being able to use Kleverb on a snare and not the kick, etc. The built in reverbs are lacking. I know I could load 16 instances and use 1 for each pad, but come on now.

3) AU Midi is also a huge buzzkill, since it works, but won't record. Of all things, hopefully this will be fixed VERY soon. The idea of it being a streamlined DAW doesn't quite jive since it's available in the first place but only for playback purposes.

Also, I haven't found a quick and easy way to randomize hihat or other Slate pad velocities (like say from a volume range of 100-127). Maybe that's all user error, but the more I've learned about NS2, the more it seems to err on the side of simple.

From an objective, non NS1 fanboy standpoint, I can understand the hype, and I really enjoy using NS2. It seems to get me working faster and easier than any other workstation. But items 2 and 3 are things I would expect present for something I've heard has been in development for 6 years.

For number 3 on the list I don’t feel bad to have at least 4 different FX-busses to various drumsound on the selected kit...
    Sure, to load an external AUfx would be nice to a single pad, but, if you really need it, load that drumloop on an own track... no big deal...

Have just ended an almost ten hour session with Nanostudio 2, and, as all users here say: NS2 is perhaps the most stable app ever on iOS with this kind of complexity!!
    Very very addictive, and, enough for my purpose...

• @LeeB said:

@david_2017 said:

If you open a compressor from the audio fx tab on the mixer channel of the track you want to compress/sidechain, then go to the mixer channel of the source of the sidechain, i.e your Kick channel and tap send fx tab. From there add an audio send. In the list that appears, you will see a option for your chosen destination track’s Compressor sidechain, tap that.
    Now if you go back to the compressor of the track you want to compress, you will see the input of the kick channel on the external sidechain meter (provided the track is playing).
    Typical setting may be a fast attack, release to taste, faitlrly high ratio and threshold down until you get desired pump.

Hope that helps 👍🏼

Hey Sir! That helped a lot. Wonderful description! I found it and used it. Thanks again!

• @david_2017 said:

@LeeB said:

@david_2017 said:

Hope that helps 👍🏼

Hey Sir! That helped a lot. Wonderful description! I found it and used it. Thanks again!

Cool, I hoped it would help, but I find it hard to put what’s in my head down in words without rambling on too much. Looks like I did alright lol

• @LeeB said:

@david_2017 said:

@LeeB said:

@david_2017 said:

Hope that helps 👍🏼

Cool, I hoped it would help, but I find it hard to put what’s in my head down in words without rambling on too much. Looks like I did alright lol

Took me some time and re-reading your post. I was searching for the answer in the fader that popped up in the SEND Section, rather than turning these knobs in the FX section as you actually clearly wrote it ;) so after revisiting and re-reading your post I was finally there :)

This discussion has been closed.