Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auxy, I pulled the free trial trig

As much as I am anti subscription model stuff , it actually makes sense in auxy to some degree, it would cost more to buy each sound pack than it will cost for a year of having it all...
I still wish that they would allow for a non subscription and let you get the 2 or 3 sound packs you want and be done tho...
Either way ima try it for a month and see if it's productive, it lacks in au land unfortunately, because if I could load my own audio units i would be more likely to keep paying... But it is a simple app as far as limits and creatively and keeps you boxed in which can help prevent you from getting lost in "which effect should I use land" lol even tho I do enjoy that land, I do enjoy limiting as well to stay focused...

Anyone here a long time auxy user?
I'm looking to create my usual down tempo ambient chill wave stuff, which seems entirely possible here...

I'm still leaning towards canceling my subscription tho because I don't like the model, no au, and no keyboard, it's all piano roll style input..

Thoughts?....

Comments

• Two more negatives for me..

It won't run in the background, or load iaa in AUM....😐

• @reasOne said:
    It won't run in the background...

It will if you turn on Link.

• that's good !

@blakkaz said:

@reasOne said:
    It won't run in the background...

It will if you turn on Link.

• What type of genre(s) are you looking to produce?

• edited December 2018

This is a great piano roll iPhone music app that excels in its scope and suffers slightly under the weight of expectation. The sound engine is fantastic though and very well designed. It’s highly capable it of composing in any number of genres.

• I just re-upped my sub.

If I’m looking to get work done and don’t want to be distracted by shiny things, it’s my go to. There’s a lot of stuff I wish it did, but, that would sort of defeat the purpose of the simple workflow it has...

I like how fast it is. It sounds really good out of the box. It is woefully lacking with effects. It’s kind of amazing some of the music the community produces using only Auxy. Not always my bag but nonetheless, impressive.

I go month to month not yearly so that if I stop feelin it I can just cancel my sub. They make it very easy to manage.

• Ambient down tempo,... I've been at it for years but never with this groovebox type approach..

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    What type of genre(s) are you looking to produce?

• @icsleepers said:
    I just re-upped my sub.

If I’m looking to get work done and don’t want to be distracted by shiny things, it’s my go to. There’s a lot of stuff I wish it did, but, that would sort of defeat the purpose of the simple workflow it has...

I like how fast it is. It sounds really good out of the box. It is woefully lacking with effects. It’s kind of amazing some of the music the community produces using only Auxy. Not always my bag but nonetheless, impressive.

I go month to month not yearly so that if I stop feelin it I can just cancel my sub. They make it very easy to manage.

Exactly.

• KEW replaced Auxy for me. Nice modern sounding synth, drum samples with import, easy automation, and a simple interface. This time with live recording and a keyboard and chord pad. I won’t use Auxy again until it has live recording

• @db909 said:
    KEW replaced Auxy for me. Nice modern sounding synth, drum samples with import, easy automation, and a simple interface. This time with live recording and a keyboard and chord pad. I won’t use Auxy again until it has live recording

Interesting. All horses and courses, as it should be. For me (me, me,), the best bit about Auxy is the piano roll and, much as I love KEW (and I do), I have often already wished for a merger of the two :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@db909 said:
    KEW replaced Auxy for me. Nice modern sounding synth, drum samples with import, easy automation, and a simple interface. This time with live recording and a keyboard and chord pad. I won’t use Auxy again until it has live recording

Interesting. All horses and courses, as it should be. For me (me, me,), the best bit about Auxy is the piano roll and, much as I love KEW (and I do), I have often already wished for a merger of the two :)

It’s a great piano roll, one of the best. But ultimately I’m making music on iOS so I don’t have to use a piano roll or an external keyboard

• @db909 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@db909 said:

It’s a great piano roll, one of the best. But ultimately I’m making music on iOS so I don’t have to use a piano roll or an external keyboard

Vive la différence...

• KEW has also replaced Auxy for my quick-fix music making.

A non-subscription version of Auxy is still one of the only music apps on my phone though.
    The piano roll is great for capturing ideas when out and about.

• I haven't used KEW or seen too many videos, how does the automation stack up compared to Auxy? Not automation destinations obviously, just the way it works? Cause Auxy automation is like, Reason level of niceness and ease of use. Especially being able to juggle clips.

I think of the Gadget automation and it makes me incredibly sad.... so sad :( would be better with a pen I guess but my god it's so fidgety

• @reasOne said:
    Ambient down tempo,... I've been at it for years but never with this groovebox type approach..

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    What type of genre(s) are you looking to produce?

Yeeeeah, then much as it pains me to say, Auxy may not be the best choice for that genre. I like producing EDM and Pop but also Ambient, Musique Concrete, Film Score, Stochastic, etc. For EDM and Pop, Auxy is incredible with how quickly I can hammer out an idea. With ambient (especially if you're shooting for non-traditional time signatures/no time signatures), you will struggle with Auxy. Trust me, I've attempted it on Auxy, lol.

That being said, Nanostudio 2 looks more suited to our ambient needs. It currently doesn't have audio tracks, but it can trigger samples up to 2 hours long.

That said, what kind of ambient/down-tempo do you produce regularly? :) Just wondering if you're more into tonal with a soft trip-hop beat, or atonal/avante-garde. Also wonder if you ever crafted an installation piece before (i.e. ambient piece that can go on for hours).

• I went the opposite direction: I‘ve started my whole music making with Auxy (after buying my first ever iPad). It was nice to learn the basic stuff and getting quick, fairly satisfying results. I also bought all the IAPs available. But as soon as I dared to take the next step into Gadget and Cubasis and all those different Synth, Drums and FX apps, I never went back to Auxy. It felt way too limited.

And after they introduced the subscription model, I deleted it within less than two minutes.

• @icsleepers said:
    I haven't used KEW or seen too many videos, how does the automation stack up compared to Auxy? Not automation destinations obviously, just the way it works?

You have a few options.

Live capture of on-screen or external keyboard knob twiddling, via KAOSS Pad or with the Motion Sequencer.

• @icsleepers said:
    I haven't used KEW or seen too many videos, how does the automation stack up compared to Auxy? Not automation destinations obviously, just the way it works?

It's pretty well implemented in KEW, you can smoothly record automation or step record it, and any knob you automate moves so you can see exactly what's being automated at a glance. Clearing automation or editing it is pretty well done too, once you get used to the unique way they represent it. I like it more than Auxy's implementation because the automation is part of the pattern and not a seperate entity, just makes more sense to me.

• @reasOne said:
    I'm looking to create my usual down tempo ambient chill wave stuff, which seems entirely possible here...

I'm still leaning towards canceling my subscription tho because I don't like the model, no au, and no keyboard, it's all piano roll style input..

Thoughts?....

Auxy was one of my go to apps for a LONG time, it was great sounding and very quick for me to get my ideas down. Unfortunately when they went subscription I bailed, both because of the premise of needing to continue to paying to access my projects in the future and because they changed a lot of things in the app that just made it a lot more tedious for me to use. I think having a subscription for accessing new sounds and samples is a great idea, but not when you also lock features behind that subscrition. Especially as I had already bought all the packs just to support them.

No more transition knob (seriously one of the coolest ideas for music making IMO), less global kit controls, having automation as seperate clips, not being able to switch entire drum kits on the fly, etc. It went from being a fast way to get great sounding sketches for me, to be a hunt and peck fest for only marginally more powerful features. Shame, but oh well.

• tjatja
    edited December 2018

@Tarekith said:

@reasOne said:

Thoughts?....

Auxy was one of my go to apps for a LONG time, it was great sounding and very quick for me to get my ideas down. Unfortunately when they went subscription I bailed, both because of the premise of needing to continue to paying to access my projects in the future and because they changed a lot of things in the app that just made it a lot more tedious for me to use. I think having a subscription for accessing new sounds and samples is a great idea, but not when you also lock features behind that subscrition. Especially as I had already bought all the packs just to support them.

No more transition knob (seriously one of the coolest ideas for music making IMO), less global kit controls, having automation as seperate clips, not being able to switch entire drum kits on the fly, etc. It went from being a fast way to get great sounding sketches for me, to be a hunt and peck fest for only marginally more powerful features. Shame, but oh well.

Do you still have the older Auxy that supports Live MIDI Out?
    How do / did you like this?

This was way before the subscription App.

• @tja said:

Dude... this was the best for me :smiley:

• @senhorlampada said:

@tja said:

Dude... this was the best for me :smiley:

Yeahhhhh :) :) :)

• @icsleepers said:
    I haven't used KEW or seen too many videos, how does the automation stack up compared to Auxy? Not automation destinations obviously, just the way it works? Cause Auxy automation is like, Reason level of niceness and ease of use. Especially being able to juggle clips.

I think of the Gadget automation and it makes me incredibly sad.... so sad :( would be better with a pen I guess but my god it's so fidgety

I think KEW has the best automation I’ve seen honestly. 1. Knob movement recording with individual clear automation option. 2. Automation sequencing, simply swipe your finger across and the curve follows fluidly (not slightly delayed and wonky like Gadget). And 3. The KAOSS pad which is the best because you have several useful xy paramter combos premapped on quick access buttons PLUS you can easily assign your own. You could do all of your mixing and automation right from the Kaoss pad if you wanted. I’m hoping Korg will allow for playing scales and recording notes from the pad at some point.

• @tja said:

No, I never used that version as I don't need MIDI out in my apps. Sorry.

• @Tarekith said:

@tja said:

No, I never used that version as I don't need MIDI out in my apps. Sorry.

Uh. I rarely touch things that cannot import and export file and live MIDI :o
    I just love to exchange Synths and patches and presets and sequencers.... :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic Ya I can see how auxy is limited big time with its time signature and effects, but now after jamming on it, I see that my only real plan with it can be to use the great samples it has for drums from some cool sample companies and also I can make some bass / arp / lead sounds and use the audio elsewhere, like you said nano studio 2 ! Can't wait for that... I'll just have to take full advantage of that free month trial and sample sample sample bhahaah

I would say I make chill wave, down tempo stuff, I want to learn how to make stuff even close to Martin nonstatic, and others on that label, I have clips of how I am working recently on my Instagram if you are on there....

I haven't ever made any thing an hour or longer hehe but I have stuff that could loop for hours 😂😂

• @blakkaz @Tarekith @db909 thanks guys. True story, my first piece of HARDWARE was an Electribe EM1. So I wonder how at home I’d feel here...

• I've been working a lot in Auxy lately to try and establish whether I want to continue subscribing. I was a little put off at one point when I couldn't access my projects on a plane because I didn't have internet access. However, they seem to have fixed that issue in a recent update as far as I can tell.

From my perspective, it is limited but..... it also just sounds so good. I can't explain it, but it sounds better to me than most of the presets in my other synths. It feels like I'm making more music and worrying less about trying to tweak presets to fit the mix, less adjusting frequencies, filters and volume levels etc.This alone is a bonus in my book because it means I'm spending more time doing what I love....making music.

So despite my hesitancy about subscriptions, I'm going to keep subscribing because I hope they keep developing it as well as producing new sounds for it.

• @reasOne said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic Ya I can see how auxy is limited big time with its time signature and effects, but now after jamming on it, I see that my only real plan with it can be to use the great samples it has for drums from some cool sample companies and also I can make some bass / arp / lead sounds and use the audio elsewhere, like you said nano studio 2 ! Can't wait for that... I'll just have to take full advantage of that free month trial and sample sample sample bhahaah

I would say I make chill wave, down tempo stuff, I want to learn how to make stuff even close to Martin nonstatic, and others on that label, I have clips of how I am working recently on my Instagram if you are on there....

I haven't ever made any thing an hour or longer hehe but I have stuff that could loop for hours 😂😂

MIDI export is great too -- very cool for transferring on to a 'bigger brother' app. I like to sketch in Auxy then export the MIDI and audio stems, load into another program (BM3 is great) and end up with loads of great audio tracks to use or resample as well as MIDI to play with.

• @robertreynolds said:
    From my perspective, it is limited but..... it also just sounds so good. I can't explain it, but it sounds better to me than most of the presets in my other synths. It feels like I'm making more music and worrying less about trying to tweak presets to fit the mix, less adjusting frequencies, filters and volume levels etc.

They have some buss processing going on the master channel at all times, so I'm not surprised that people like the way it sounds compared to other apps. Think of it as a gentle, default mastering preset.