Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 pre-order link

Comments

• @MrSmileZ said:

@wim said:

@MrSmileZ said:
    The most entertaining portion of this whole nanostudio 2 release is watching the word “negative” pop up more than necessary and seeing everyone trying to dodge thru the sensitivity minefield involved around the fan-folks.

Maybe we need a "NS2 Safe Space" thread. :D

Hahaha

Quite true. I have already wandered into the wrong cafeteria once! The temerity of criticizing the sounds of the demo video!
    But these guys are dedicated, and they've been waiting for this for a long time. Somebody asked me why I felt the need to temper expectations for an app that has been YEARS in the making and which apparently has a synth engine that is better than anything ever conceived.... And you know what? He was right. These guys are f§ª•ing excited. Let them have it!

• edited December 2018

@MrSmileZ said:
    Some of which absolutely refuse to try beatmaker3 due to their predjudices toward it, due to it being regarded as a “knock off” or a competitive product.

No. Thing is, nanostudio is very different app from beatmaker 3, aimed to users with very different workflow. In my experience also different music genres (there is huge BM3 hype in hiphop community, on other side core of NS users is in musical genres which are more synth than sampling related)

To be honest - i bought BM3 after release. Just out of curiosity and because i did a LOT tracks with BM2, some officialy released on label. BM3 was for me huge disappointment, and not just because of lack some features which are crucial for my workflow (even some which were present in BM2), but also because all that changed paradigm and app structure, strongly pad-centric build around those "banks", all that sampling, slicing, and stuff like that - it all goes exactly in opposite direction to my workflow and to music i make.

I tried to fight with it for 2 weeks (and believe me, i'm DEEPLY experienced user, i'm making music for 25 years and went through may DAWs on desktop and iOS.). After that period i returned it to appstore as for me totaly useless app.
    After half of year, i bought it again - again just out of curiosity how this thing moved. Just because i like to know, to have overview.
    Again my conclusion - not at all for me. Still same thing. It's not about any bias, it's simply about that app is designed for somebody completely different than me, with different workflow and even making different musical genre, build on completely different basic elements than my music.

But i'm not going to spend time in BM3 forum and BM3 threads and explain to everybody why BM3 is for me totaly useless and what features i'm missing there. Why o should do that ? It doesn't make sense for me.. It's perfect tool for somebody and i deeeply understand it. Just. Some people don't understand it. So they are doing such crap. But ok, it's everybody's choice how to spend own time. My choice is trying to help people.

I believe it is same like for me it is more or lest for majority of people enthusiastic in NS2. It's not about bias, it's simply about workflow, set of features, which is very different for everyone. I don't need "convert" BM3 people to use NS2.

• @dustgod said:

@dendy said:

@dustgod said:
    Is there a way to freeze tracks for those of us on older iPads?

No freeze, freeze is closely relate to audio tracks obviously, so until there are no audio track, there is no really way for freeze. You can render loops and load them back to sampler pads.

But which iPad do you have ? I was able to run 18 instances of Obsidian and hell lot of insert FX's (EQs, compressors, delays, reverbs) on iPhone 6 - and i was still on just 40% of CPU load :) With buffer size 11ms ..

Air1, ancient.

If it would be strong enough to run everything internal I'd still probably buy it as more of a gadget/groovebox (I often use BM3 as an MPC with 0-2 aus) until audio tracks come, it sounds like it has everything needed built in.

I’ve been using iPad Air 1 with no problems. By the ime I get resource hogging AUv3 apps on about 7-8 tracks I would get clipping. That’s when I’d ‘bounce’ AUv3 tracks to Audio Clips and keep going. My ne 12” iPad Pro just arrived though, so I won’t be worrying about clipping on that beast.

• edited December 2018

I said it was entertaining. I didn’t call you out for hating anything...did I? I simply was discussing the correction of anyone who wasn’t fully sold on NS2, and the ‘watch what you say about it’ tone some are taking on the thread. It’s good to be totally happy with what you do, I wish that for everyone. I understand the enormous learning curve of other programs, hardware, and applications as I have many. You can (sh8t) on the LPX forum if you so please, just wipe up the floor when done squatting or the people near you will be upset. You must be legion, for you speak for many? Discussing pros and cons is fine...that wasn’t the part I was discussing. You are absolutely right, if you feel that you are...right? Your last phrase I just don’t understand... but, I am fully aware we are on the internet.

• People always talking about the workflow. I am super curious if this thing finally makes click with me and I enjoy that workflow as much as other do and anticipate
    Can’t wait for a manual and more tutorials videos because of this ;)

• edited December 2018

@dustgod said:
    If it would be strong enough to run everything internal I'd still probably buy it as more of a gadget/groovebox (I often use BM3 as an MPC with 0-2 aus) until audio tracks come, it sounds like it has everything needed built in.

As mentioned, until audio tracks and realtime pitchshifting / timestrech or sample loops transient based automatic slicing aren't totaly crucial to you, i suggest you to give it a try. There is no other complete music production app so efficient like NS2 available in market. Even remotely. If you will be use just building synth / sampler / effects (which are top quality btw!), iPad AIR is completely ok for producing complete songs with lot of tracks :) Without need of feezing.

• @dendy said:

@dustgod said:

As mentioned, until audio tracks and realtime pitchshifting / timestrech or sample loops transient based automatic slicing aren't totaly crucial to you, i suggest you to give it a try. There is no other complete music production app so efficient like NS2 available in market. Even remotely. If you will be use just building synth / sampler / effects (which are top quality btw!), iPad AIR is completely ok for producing complete songs with lot of tracks :) Without need of feezing.

Good to know. Not sure if i can wait a few months for the iPhone version and the new iPads are priced a bit over the top. Now i wished i had not sold my Air1 :)

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@MrSmileZ said:

@wim said:

@MrSmileZ said:
    The most entertaining portion of this whole nanostudio 2 release is watching the word “negative” pop up more than necessary and seeing everyone trying to dodge thru the sensitivity minefield involved around the fan-folks.

Maybe we need a "NS2 Safe Space" thread. :D

Hahaha

Quite true. I have already wandered into the wrong cafeteria once! The temerity of criticizing the sounds of the demo video!
    But these guys are dedicated, and they've been waiting for this for a long time. Somebody asked me why I felt the need to temper expectations for an app that has been YEARS in the making and which apparently has a synth engine that is better than anything ever conceived.... And you know what? He was right. These guys are f§ª•ing excited. Let them have it!

I want it to be great! I want people to make great things with it! It does seem to have a nice synthesizer (the reason I will buy it) I already know it’s NOT the greatest synthesizer of all times...As it can’t touch Alchemy synth at all...0...but that would be quite an undertaking for any synth designer imho. For IOS users Obsidean may enter top 10 or better though...I think that’s super cool. Hopefully Propellerheads see this and give us the FULL Europa engine...which would be amazing...but it won’t happen soon anyways.

• Better yet...Apple please give us the full version of Alchemy as an AU! Bring the beast back to iOS without chaining it up...let it eat.

• I have preordered. I’m gonna love it. That said, I’m gonna have some things I won’t like about it. I’m gonna air those complaints politely. I am not going to apologize to any fanboy. Tell me I’m just being negative and I’m going to tell you where to stick it.

Honest feedback on apps is important and (should be) valuable to developers. If all they get is the positive feedback of their disciples, they will be living in a vacuum that isn’t helpful to anyone. What they do with that feedback is totally up to them. -peace

• @wim you are welcome in new "wishlist" thread after new forums.blipinteractive.co.uk will be running (from day of release :) ... every single comment, request or wish is appreciated in community !

• @dendy said:
    @wim you are welcome in new "wishlist" thread after new forums.blipinteractive.co.uk will be running (from day of release :) ... every single comment, request or wish is appreciated in community !

Thanks, noted. If all I do about it is bitch here then I am indeed just trolling.

However, in the interest of saving others dissatisfaction, or their wasting money when there’s a feature they would expect or need, it’s also appropriate to inject into even the lovey-dovey threads. Hopefully we don’t have to wade through a bunch of sniffling about that every time it happens.

• @MrSmileZ said:
    I said it was entertaining. I didn’t call you out for hating anything...did I?

I don’t think so. Not me personally. I was just responging in general terms to your point.

I simply was discussing the correction of anyone who wasn’t fully sold on NS2, and the ‘watch what you say about it’ tone some are taking on the thread.

I think discussing pros & cons is fair, but there seemed to be a bit of a negative vibe brewing with some people who I think were overly harsh criticizing an app that hasn’t even been released. I choose to face that head on in hopes that some other people are mislednjnto thinking NS2 isn’t a good app.

It’s good to be totally happy with what you do, I wish that for everyone. I understand the enormous learning curve of other programs, hardware, and applications as I have many. You can (sh8t) on the LPX forum if you so please, just wipe up the floor when done squatting or the people near you will be upset.

I’d have to bring my own mop? Nah. Too much work, but thanks for the offer.

You must be legion, for you speak for many? Discussing pros and cons is fine...that wasn’t the part I was discussing. You are absolutely right, if you feel that you are...right? Your last phrase I just don’t understand... but, I am fully aware we are on the internet.

We may both be a bit confused, but that OK. Just to be clear, I am not taking any offense and hope none is taken by anone else and that’s not my intent. Just trying to voice anpositive opinion about an app. Once it’s released people will make up their own minds.

@MrSmileZ said:
    Better yet...Apple please give us the full version of Alchemy as an AU! Bring the beast back to iOS without chaining it up...let it eat.

And here we totally agree!! I’m glad to still be using Alchemy in my workflow, but like many I would love to see and updated AUv3 full version. I am still an app junkie and love me some synths!

• edited December 2018

No one is forcing anyone to buy it. If it doesn’t fit your needs, pass it up.
    I hate the word ‘Fanboy’. I think enthusiastic is more appropriate.
    There has always been the Cubase vs Logic, Ableton vs Reason debates and it won’t go away with iOS apps by the looks of it.

No app will have everything to please everyone and there will always be people with a wishlist longer than their track list.

At the end of the day, it’s what you make with the software that counts and every user has a different way of approaching things and a preferred DAW to work with.

For the record, mine over the years has been Cubase/Reason/NanoStudio, that’s just my preference.

• edited December 2018

There is so much linguisitc/semantic/language clutter in these kinds of threads. For starters my definition of DAW means I can make hiphop, trance, dubstep, country, rock, whatever the hell I want with it, like the good old days. In fact I could even do foley work and sound design for a movie with a real DAW. If it is for psytrance and brostep primarily I call it a groovebox or like a Renoise, a tracker, what the hell, maybe 'groovedaw' is a new category. So fine, BM3 is my hiphop/beats/sampler groovedaw and NS2 is my brostuff, neurese groovedaw. Etc. Shit, I remember when 'producers' were the guys who signed the checks and smoked the cigars with their boots up on the table. (don't take this next part seriously, or anything I ever say for that matter) Whatever, just give us the damn app already! Why is it rotting on an Apple server when there is groove to get on!! This is cruel and inhumane treatment! Too much transparency!! etc.

• edited December 2018

Hopefully 2019 is the year of greater tools for iOS!

• Even though the synth in NS2 look tempting I'm equally interested in the sampling capabilities.
    (Ie. the simpler 'old school' sampling without the need for time-stretch etc. etc).

Is it for example 'easy' to process/re-sample the recorded sample thru an effect-chain in the sample editor?
    (This is something I do with Renoise all the time to process my samples)

I saw there was an option to create effect chain presets so being able to process a recorded sample thru one of them should be do-able no?

What about different interpolation options for the sample pitch-shift algorithm during playback?
    (LinearInterpolation, No Interpolation, Adaptive Oversampling etc. again with 'Renoise' as the 'bench-mark' with SunVox not too far behind).

I'll be following NS2 with great interest, that's for sure.
    Just waiting for 'Santa' to deliver some store credits LOL...

• @Slam_Cut said:

@MrSmileZ said:
    I said it was entertaining. I didn’t call you out for hating anything...did I?

I don’t think so. Not me personally. I was just responging in general terms to your point.

I simply was discussing the correction of anyone who wasn’t fully sold on NS2, and the ‘watch what you say about it’ tone some are taking on the thread.

I think discussing pros & cons is fair, but there seemed to be a bit of a negative vibe brewing with some people who I think were overly harsh criticizing an app that hasn’t even been released. I choose to face that head on in hopes that some other people are mislednjnto thinking NS2 isn’t a good app.

It’s good to be totally happy with what you do, I wish that for everyone. I understand the enormous learning curve of other programs, hardware, and applications as I have many. You can (sh8t) on the LPX forum if you so please, just wipe up the floor when done squatting or the people near you will be upset.

I’d have to bring my own mop? Nah. Too much work, but thanks for the offer.

You must be legion, for you speak for many? Discussing pros and cons is fine...that wasn’t the part I was discussing. You are absolutely right, if you feel that you are...right? Your last phrase I just don’t understand... but, I am fully aware we are on the internet.

We may both be a bit confused, but that OK. Just to be clear, I am not taking any offense and hope none is taken by anone else and that’s not my intent. Just trying to voice anpositive opinion about an app. Once it’s released people will make up their own minds.

@MrSmileZ said:
    Better yet...Apple please give us the full version of Alchemy as an AU! Bring the beast back to iOS without chaining it up...let it eat.

And here we totally agree!! I’m glad to still be using Alchemy in my workflow, but like many I would love to see and updated AUv3 full version. I am still an app junkie and love me some synths!

There is no negativity dude, just people who are curious. Let go of the negative/postive thing.

• I'll take the hype here any day over all the passive aggressive bs. I'm just looking forward to picking up a new instrument and seeing what I can do with it. Not concerned with what it can't do or maybe can't do or whether it's the truly best of the bestest.

• Is there an arpeggiator ?

• I'm looking forward to resampling Aparillo into Obsidian. Then automating the start location with an LFO...and then LFO that LFO.

• @Cib said:

@MrSmileZ said:
    The dedicated fan base of the app are highly bias imho. Some of which absolutely refuse to try beatmaker3 due to their predjudices toward it, due to it being regarded as a “knock off” or a competitive product. Being so dedicated to something as to switch their own workflow around it, or to hate on another product for a bug or two while being very accepting of the same on your platform. As ridiculous as that is, it always boils down to you are you, and it is your choice what to use and not use. I have no stake in your processes, successes, or failures. For my use, it lacks too many tools at this point for me to regard it as the best thing ever, or even consider that it could get me 60% of the way to a complete project.

Unless LPX comes out in its full form on iOS, I will probably still finish everything in my desktop where there are BETTER tools for music production. I’m not saying full production can’t be done on iPad/iPhone...I’m just saying the toolbox is far superior on a full fledged daw. We have a long road ahead of us in iOS land, and that is assuming that Apple won’t further cripple iOS devices in future versions...and I’m not sure how this will play based on what I have already seen them do.

I wouldn‘t try to replace LPX with NS2 and i have a lot more powerful tools and synths on mac but that doesn‘t render NS2 unable to do great things.
    I mean it was possible with NS1.
    But Obsidian is the hero for me here together with a great „real“ multi-touch DAW. We talking about 30 bucks. I find it fair.
    Of course NS2 isn‘t for everyone.

@Cib: Agreed but I for one would love to stay off desktop. Maybe not NS2 right now but I’m hoping Stagelight will evolve into something comparable to desktop at some point . It already is in some areas

• @Telstar5 said:

@Cib said:

@MrSmileZ said:
    The dedicated fan base of the app are highly bias imho. Some of which absolutely refuse to try beatmaker3 due to their predjudices toward it, due to it being regarded as a “knock off” or a competitive product. Being so dedicated to something as to switch their own workflow around it, or to hate on another product for a bug or two while being very accepting of the same on your platform. As ridiculous as that is, it always boils down to you are you, and it is your choice what to use and not use. I have no stake in your processes, successes, or failures. For my use, it lacks too many tools at this point for me to regard it as the best thing ever, or even consider that it could get me 60% of the way to a complete project.

Unless LPX comes out in its full form on iOS, I will probably still finish everything in my desktop where there are BETTER tools for music production. I’m not saying full production can’t be done on iPad/iPhone...I’m just saying the toolbox is far superior on a full fledged daw. We have a long road ahead of us in iOS land, and that is assuming that Apple won’t further cripple iOS devices in future versions...and I’m not sure how this will play based on what I have already seen them do.

I wouldn‘t try to replace LPX with NS2 and i have a lot more powerful tools and synths on mac but that doesn‘t render NS2 unable to do great things.
    But Obsidian is the hero for me here together with a great „real“ multi-touch DAW. We talking about 30 bucks. I find it fair.

@Cib: Agreed but I for one would love to stay off desktop. Maybe not NS2 right now but I’m hoping Stagelight will evolve into something comparable to desktop at some point . It already is in some areas

I can understand that. Sometimes i‘m tired of it too but the tools i love to use doesn‘t exist on iOS mainly.
    But that could change in the future, who knows.

• edited December 2018

@Cib said:

@MrSmileZ said:

If a $30 app on a little iPad could replace LPX for me, I'd have a lot of relatively expensive stuff gone obsolete. Of course, that's not going to happen. LPX and all the great plug-ins aren't coming to iOS, and even if they did, I still don't want to use them on a small screen, limited RAM, etc.. What I look for on iOS is great mobile apps. I think NS2 could be one.

• What I am looking for is portability/mobility I do want powerful tools in my iPad.
    The new iPad Pro is capable asf, lets get to it...leave the past in the dust and move forward

• As far as the mobile technology we have today, the past has already been left in the dust. Maybe one must be older to have the perspective of time. Things are moving fast, driven by mass market demand for these mobile devices. Our niche music-making market is the beneficiary but, obviously, not the driving force.

• @Cib : Jist wondering though. If you have LPX then why not just go Garageband ios into your Mac ?

• edited December 2018

In music, there are two kinds of people... There is a lot both of them in this or any other thread on AB forums..

First group - those who are still waiting for better tool to finnaly start do some music.. Because current available tool is lacking X Y Z. This kind of people is really great in finding why is something not possible to do.

Then, here is second group of people. Those people simple make music. Thanks god, nobody told them that their tools are missimg some crucial features, whithout which their tools are useless.

They doesn't know that, so they just make music.

:trollface:

• @dendy 👍😉👍🤗

• @dendy said:
    In music, there are two kinds of people... There is a lot both of them in this or any other thread on AB forums..

First group - those who are still waiting for better tool to finnaly start do some music.. Because current available tool is lacking X Y Z. This kind of people is really great in finding why is something not possible to do.

Then, here is second group of people. Those people simple make music. Thanks god, nobody told them that their tools are missimg some crucial features, whithout which their tools are useless.

They doesn't know that, so they just make music.

:trollface:

I doubt you really believe that lol

I know loads of peeps on here that discuss features they would really like - they all continue to make music. Between discussions on here, pain and vomiting and picking up the dog poo, I’ve found time to start three new pieces and continue mixing one :D

This discussion has been closed.