Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 pre-order link

Comments

• edited December 2018

@dustgod said:
    Is the pre-order discounted?

No discount, and not planned currently. Let's be honest, in my opinion only that synth alone is worth more than whole app :-))

(when early adopters deal with the most bugs usually.)

What bugs ? What bugs ? :trollface: Are you kidding me ? I would take it as my personal fail if any significant bug would made it to release :smiley: :smiley:

• @dendy said:

@dustgod said:

No discount, and not planned currently. Let's be honest, in my opinion only that synth alone is worth more than whole app :-))

(when early adopters deal with the most bugs usually.)

What bugs ? What bugs ? :trollface: Are you kidding me ? I would take it as my personal fail if any significant bug would made it to release :smiley: :smiley:

That will most probably be different to the BM3 release, but let's see :)
    (not bashing BM3 here, but there where lotsssss of problems and crashes and such)

• Does Obsidian have any parameter randomization?

• @dendy said:

I guess you have to see the current state of iOS audio apps, where indeed huge amounts of often severe bugs on release are accepted as the norm. It's everywhere in society though, not limited to software.

But yeah, I guess if NS1 is any indication, then NS2 will be "proper software" for a change :)

• @gusgranite said:
    Does Obsidian have any parameter randomization?

If you mean random patch generator thanksgod no :smiley:

If you mean posibility to modulate things with factor of randomness definitely yes. Random LFO in first place and then also 2 specific mod sources named simply "rand 1" and "rand 2" - they generate random value.

Example of use - by default Obsidian oscilators are perfectly phase synced on nite start - which is great for man use cases (for example percussive sounds).. but if you want achieve nice unisono detuning, or that "analog" feeling like with old analog synths with free running oscillators, you just set Rand1 > Osc phase modulation and that is...

• How fast goes the LFOs?

• 60.00 hz

• edited December 2018

@SevenSystems said:

I guess you have to see the current state of iOS audio apps, where indeed huge amounts of often severe bugs on release are accepted as the norm.

I saw it with AU plugins. Deep shit. We tried test implementetion of AUv3 with as much plugins as possible, and i was just wondering how much of them is fucked up in some way. You literally need to do plugin-speciffic fixes within host for every second one...

• @LeeB said:
    60.00 hz

Thx! And how slow? :) Important too.

• 0.01 hz or off :)

• @LeeB said:
    0.01 hz or off :)

Do we get a 'step/value sequencer' or a 'custom LFO wave' for modulation?
    If yes, at what duration per step?(1-20ms?)

• @LeeB said:

Good news for me.

• edited December 2018

@Cib

It is possible also stop LFO by modulating it's own rate (i mean LFO modulating own rate and eventually also amount of this modulation - like time travel loop - sick thing)

Or you can use LFO for retriggering of Envelope ..

• @dendy said:

@gusgranite said:
    Does Obsidian have any parameter randomization?

If you mean random patch generator thanksgod no :smiley:

If you mean posibility to modulate things with factor of randomness definitely yes. Random LFO in first place and then also 2 specific mod sources named simply "rand 1" and "rand 2" - they generate random value.

Example of use - by default Obsidian oscilators are perfectly phase synced on nite start - which is great for man use cases (for example percussive sounds).. but if you want achieve nice unisono detuning, or that "analog" feeling like with old analog synths with free running oscillators, you just set Rand1 > Osc phase modulation and that is...

Thx!

I love patch randomization. Totally hooked on it. Ask for it in every synth. Can't help myself.

Will email the developer... :sunglasses:

• @Slam_Cut said:
    Yeah, this is good. I'm trying to learn a bit while we are chewing, since I'm inexperienced at recording live audio.
    I seriously doubt that multi-track recording of multiple sources will be possible until maybe Audio Tracks are added.
    I think that the limit on each pad of Slate is around 2 hours...? So One could make really long takes, catch the mood and stay in the groove through multiple takes and then edit sections later as needed. I haven't done this, just to be clear. So it will be up to someone else to decide how useful NS2 is for recording a band like one would in a pro studio.

Where you record one instrument at a time with DI or a single mic it would be fine with 2 hours....however....it is common practice to use more than one mic at a time, different mics at different positions........and for drums you have to use more than 1 mic so multitrack is a must.

• @SevenSystems said:

@dendy said:

I guess you have to see the current state of iOS audio apps, where indeed huge amounts of often severe bugs on release are accepted as the norm. It's everywhere in society though, not limited to software.

But yeah, I guess if NS1 is any indication, then NS2 will be "proper software" for a change

I'm not attacking NS2 at all. I'll be buying a week or two after release barring lots of negativity
    (and it seems to have gone through a strong beta) around it.

I just don't see the point of pre-ordering a digital product (unlimited quantity available) without a discount.

That said, price is very competitive, close to BM3 but with included synths, and much cheaper than Cubasis or Auria Pro (and looks easier to pick up and go with than those two.)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Slam_Cut said:
    Yeah, this is good. I'm trying to learn a bit while we are chewing, since I'm inexperienced at recording live audio.
    I seriously doubt that multi-track recording of multiple sources will be possible until maybe Audio Tracks are added.
    I think that the limit on each pad of Slate is around 2 hours...? So One could make really long takes, catch the mood and stay in the groove through multiple takes and then edit sections later as needed. I haven't done this, just to be clear. So it will be up to someone else to decide how useful NS2 is for recording a band like one would in a pro studio.

Where you record one instrument at a time with DI or a single mic it would be fine with 2 hours....however....it is common practice to use more than one mic at a time, different mics at different positions........and for drums you have to use more than 1 mic so multitrack is a must.

+1

• @dendy said:

On working on tracks, I never once got near to needing a freeze function.

And you tracks are far away from minimalistic, in terms of number of instruments and fxs :smiley:

Or for that matter, feeling the need to use AU’s, and I have quite a few.

I ended in stage, that currently only AUs i use for my production are Troublemaker (everybody needs 303!!) and Ripplemaker (mostly because of beautiful FM LFO > OSC modulation and OSC folding option).

All other is covered by Obsidian.

Of course you understand most people will be using plenty of AU instruments in their projects regardless of host. Good that you got Brams stuff working as there would be mutiny otherwise 😆

• Is there a way to freeze tracks for those of us on older iPads?

• edited December 2018

@Cib said:

@LeeB said:

Good news for me.

Regarding LFO and overall modulation posibilities, you may appreciate this :)

In this example there are playing 3 "sample loops" - first one, second one and then third.

Only thing is they are NOT sample loops at all :)

No samples involved, that are 3 obsidian patches (yes, they are in factory, search then for name "minimal"), build only from basic oscillators and extensive usage of all 5 envelopes and LFOs :) So if you hit note, it starts play that "loop". Which is synced to project BPM and made entirely just by modulations :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rj9r3xpv86eqshj/RhytmicPatches.wav?dl=0

• @kinkujin said:

@AudioGus said:

@Slam_Cut said:

@dustgod said:
    Only reason I would pay for something sight unseen (when early adopters deal with the most bugs usually.)

No, this is just a standard price. I feel it is an excellent deal for what we get. It is under-priced to be sure.
    You'll have to be REALLY good to find bugs. This is rock solid reliable. But... I don't know what arcane uses people will try to use to test NS2.

I am curious how much pounding AUs have recieved...

Yes, curious about this as well. And which ones were pounded.

I’d say a fair amount. Between us we had a lot of apps, but not all. There will potentially be a few apps that need to be addressed. Sometimes the app devs will help get their code working better with AUv3 hosts. I think we are at a point of the AUv3 standard still being implemented fully and there are just a lotnof variations in what devs do. In time, there should be more standardiztion.

• edited December 2018

@dustgod said:
    Is there a way to freeze tracks for those of us on older iPads?

No freeze, freeze is closely relate to audio tracks obviously, so until there are no audio track, there is no really way for freeze. You can render loops and load them back to sampler pads.

But which iPad do you have ? I was able to run 18 instances of Obsidian and hell lot of insert FX's (EQs, compressors, delays, reverbs) on iPhone 6 (A8 cpu) - and i was still on just 40% of CPU load :) With buffer size 11ms ..

Even iPad AIR 1, with A7 cpu, runs a hell lot of instances of Synth and FX's. Definitely enough for relative complex music with lot of tracks.

• @Slam_Cut said:

@kinkujin said:

@AudioGus said:

@Slam_Cut said:

@dustgod said:
    Only reason I would pay for something sight unseen (when early adopters deal with the most bugs usually.)

No, this is just a standard price. I feel it is an excellent deal for what we get. It is under-priced to be sure.
    You'll have to be REALLY good to find bugs. This is rock solid reliable. But... I don't know what arcane uses people will try to use to test NS2.

I am curious how much pounding AUs have recieved...

Yes, curious about this as well. And which ones were pounded.

I’d say a fair amount. Between us we had a lot of apps, but not all. There will potentially be a few apps that need to be addressed. Sometimes the app devs will help get their code working better with AUv3 hosts. I think we are at a point of the AUv3 standard still being implemented fully and there are just a lotnof variations in what devs do. In time, there should be more standardiztion.

Thanks for this.

• edited December 2018

The most entertaining portion of this whole nanostudio 2 release is watching the word “negative” pop up more than necessary and seeing everyone trying to dodge thru the sensitivity minefield involved around the fan-folks.
    The dedicated fan base of the app are highly bias imho. Some of which absolutely refuse to try beatmaker3 due to their predjudices toward it, due to it being regarded as a “knock off” or a competitive product. Being so dedicated to something as to switch their own workflow around it, or to hate on another product for a bug or two while being very accepting of the same on your platform. As ridiculous as that is, it always boils down to you are you, and it is your choice what to use and not use. I have no stake in your processes, successes, or failures. For my use, it lacks too many tools at this point for me to regard it as the best thing ever, or even consider that it could get me 60% of the way to a complete project.

Unless LPX comes out in its full form on iOS, I will probably still finish everything in my desktop where there are BETTER tools for music production. I’m not saying full production can’t be done on iPad/iPhone...I’m just saying the toolbox is far superior on a full fledged daw. We have a long road ahead of us in iOS land, and that is assuming that Apple won’t further cripple iOS devices in future versions...and I’m not sure how this will play based on what I have already seen them do.

• @dendy said:

@dustgod said:
    Is there a way to freeze tracks for those of us on older iPads?

No freeze, freeze is closely relate to audio tracks obviously, so until there are no audio track, there is no really way for freeze. You can render loops and load them back to sampler pads.

But which iPad do you have ? I was able to run 18 instances of Obsidian and hell lot of insert FX's (EQs, compressors, delays, reverbs) on iPhone 6 - and i was still on just 40% of CPU load :) With buffer size 11ms ..

Air1, ancient.

If it would be strong enough to run everything internal I'd still probably buy it as more of a gadget/groovebox (I often use BM3 as an MPC with 0-2 aus) until audio tracks come, it sounds like it has everything needed built in.

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@MrSmileZ said:
    The most entertaining portion of this whole nanostudio 2 release is watching the word “negative” pop up more than necessary and seeing everyone trying to dodge thru the sensitivity minefield involved around the fan-folks.

Maybe we need an "NS2 Safe Space" thread. :D

• @wim said:

@MrSmileZ said:

Maybe we need a "NS2 Safe Space" thread. :D

Hahaha

• @MrSmileZ said:
    The dedicated fan base of the app are highly bias imho. Some of which absolutely refuse to try beatmaker3 due to their predjudices toward it, due to it being regarded as a “knock off” or a competitive product. Being so dedicated to something as to switch their own workflow around it, or to hate on another product for a bug or two while being very accepting of the same on your platform. As ridiculous as that is, it always boils down to you are you, and it is your choice what to use and not use. I have no stake in your processes, successes, or failures. For my use, it lacks too many tools at this point for me to regard it as the best thing ever, or even consider that it could get me 60% of the way to a complete project.

Unless LPX comes out in its full form on iOS, I will probably still finish everything in my desktop where there are BETTER tools for music production. I’m not saying full production can’t be done on iPad/iPhone...I’m just saying the toolbox is far superior on a full fledged daw. We have a long road ahead of us in iOS land, and that is assuming that Apple won’t further cripple iOS devices in future versions...and I’m not sure how this will play based on what I have already seen them do.

Thanks for letting us know. I started on BM. NS1 worked better for me. No hate toward any other product, including BM2/3. If I am happy with what I have then there is no reason to tackle the learning curve of another DAW. I promise not to go on the forum for your desktop DAW and say anynother product is better. That isn’t anyone’s point here. Discussing pros & cons should be possible without upsetting people who don’t want NS2. Maybe I’m wrong on that. This is still the internet...

• @MrSmileZ said:

I wouldn‘t try to replace LPX with NS2 and i have a lot more powerful tools and synths on mac but that doesn‘t render NS2 unable to do great things.
    I mean it was possible with NS1.
    But Obsidian is the hero for me here together with a great „real“ multi-touch DAW. We talking about 30 bucks. I find it fair.
    Of course NS2 isn‘t for everyone.

• Will there also be a free version for desktops available just like with NS1?
    (I still have NS1 installed on my Mac).

This discussion has been closed.