Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 pre-order link

Comments

• @peanut_gallery said:
    @dendy Thanks for that quick audio recording tutorial for NS2. I was wondering how I was going to get clips recorded without Audiobus.

I take it that with the MIDI Out, I can have NS2 playing in the background and controlling another synth app (say an orchestral part in SampleTank) so I can hear how it all sounds together AND edit my performance with MIDI before I record it. Then I simply do the above to record the SampleTank part in AudioShare and bring the .wav file into NS2. Is that about right? If so, then the MIDI out makes things a lot better for my workflow than simply using Audiobus in NS1.

Yep, works just like that. MIDI out to app and record in AudioShare. Or just do a mixdown inside NS2 with a part soloed and the mixdown part can be loaded into Slate. Multiple workflow options.

• edited December 2018

tja
    AudioShare can host IAA Apps? :o
    Or did you mean AUM?

AudioShare. Just open record screen, there is + button .. you can add IAA instrument and up to 4 IAA FX's if i good rememeber ;)

• @tja said:

@dendy said:

@mistercharlie said:
    Can these clips be recorded direct into the app, or do they have to be recorded elsewhere and imported? Because if it’s the former, I’m in. I rarely recorded long takes.

Depends of what 'clips' .. app itsef have recording feature - you can record audio from external inpu (i mean external input of device or external sound card).

You can also create mixdown of any part of song / track, export it to audio file within app files structure.

Regarding IAA/AB stuff, of courser this neeeds to be recorded somewhere else, but it not that bad, i used this workflow a lot, with AudioShare i'ts really easy

• inside NSm you use MIDI OUT instrument to send notes and CC to any IAA synth app
    • you open that app (IAA) inside AudioShare, you hit record there
    • you hit play in NS2. After you record what you want, you use "Open in Nanostudio" within AudioShare app and you get your audio into NS2

done.

Or did you mean AUM?

AudioShare can host IAA - on recorder screen tap + next to the mic icon.

• @tja said:

@dendy said:

@mistercharlie said:
    Can these clips be recorded direct into the app, or do they have to be recorded elsewhere and imported? Because if it’s the former, I’m in. I rarely recorded long takes.

Depends of what 'clips' .. app itsef have recording feature - you can record audio from external inpu (i mean external input of device or external sound card).

You can also create mixdown of any part of song / track, export it to audio file within app files structure.

Regarding IAA/AB stuff, of courser this neeeds to be recorded somewhere else, but it not that bad, i used this workflow a lot, with AudioShare i'ts really easy

• inside NSm you use MIDI OUT instrument to send notes and CC to any IAA synth app
    • you open that app (IAA) inside AudioShare, you hit record there
    • you hit play in NS2. After you record what you want, you use "Open in Nanostudio" within AudioShare app and you get your audio into NS2

done.

Or did you mean AUM?

AudioShare hosts IAA apps on my iPad. :)

• @Slam_Cut said:
    I don’t quite get it - why Audio Clip won’t work but Audio Tracks will. Is it just seeing the audio waveform iningbup with MIDI events? Is it trimming tiny bits of audio from a take? Nonetheless, I don’t need to understand, just curious.

Clips will work in many situations but not in all. They also come with a workflow 'overhead' in that you cannot simply record your audio and then play it back, you have to do 'stuff' in between, which when recording live instruments can be a 'groove killer'. And as @bleep mentioned, you have to play your track from before the MIDI trigger point for the audio.

Audio Freeze. When you want to save precious CPU/RAM resources in a busy arrangement with lots of instruments and FX, being able to freeze audio to a track is essential.

If working with mics then having to do multiple takes to pads can result in difference in presence or tone due to your playing position changing between takes. This isn't a problem if your are using DI or other apps. Stopping between takes to pads may also result in you playing differently too.

If you are scoring to video you want an audio track for the video soundtrack itself, or if you are adding FX that are timed to the video you need a track for that, if you did this with clips and midi and decided half way through to change the tempo of the music even slightly for a better fit with the pace of the video then all your carefully timed FX are now out of sync.

Hope this helps with your curiosity a little :)

• @CracklePot said:
    @dendy @Slam_Cut
    Thanks for answering all these questions about NS2.
    I thought you guys might be part of the dev team at Blip, but apparently that is a team of one. I am shocked, after looking at this feature-packed app. It is amazing what talented individuals can achieve on their own.

(Reminds me of when I found out that the debut album by that old rock band Boston was secretly played, recorded, and produced by one person).

You are welcome! I on any dev team would be as useless as tits on a bull, as my wife says.
    I too am shocked by what Matt has created. He may not want everyone to know this, but he put in 14-16 hours days regularly. I hope he gets a bit of a holiday before the new Wish List of new features kick him back into workaholic mode.
    I didn't know that about Boston - amazing!

• edited December 2018

@Slam_Cut said:
    The MX49 is pretty light weight, but with it I don’t fit in to the hipster crowd at Startbucks.

Oh my Lord. Are you ... Jacob Wohl?
    :)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Slam_Cut said:
    I don’t quite get it - why Audio Clip won’t work but Audio Tracks will. Is it just seeing the audio waveform iningbup with MIDI events? Is it trimming tiny bits of audio from a take? Nonetheless, I don’t need to understand, just curious.

Clips will work in many situations but not in all. They also come with a workflow 'overhead' in that you cannot simply record your audio and then play it back, you have to do 'stuff' in between, which when recording live instruments can be a 'groove killer'. And as @bleep mentioned, you have to play your track from before the MIDI trigger point for the audio.

Audio Freeze. When you want to save precious CPU/RAM resources in a busy arrangement with lots of instruments and FX, being able to freeze audio to a track is essential.

If working with mics then having to do multiple takes to pads can result in difference in presence or tone due to your playing position changing between takes. This isn't a problem if your are using DI or other apps. Stopping between takes to pads may also result in you playing differently too.

If you are scoring to video you want an audio track for the video soundtrack itself, or if you are adding FX that are timed to the video you need a track for that, if you did this with clips and midi and decided half way through to change the tempo of the music even slightly for a better fit with the pace of the video then all your carefully timed FX are now out of sync.

Yes Andy, that does help. Thanks for the insightful post.
    I am still a bit curious, and please understand I am not being argumentative - I'm just not experienced at audio recording as with live bands. I'm not sure if NS2 would work for live bands. But if recording audio of say a guitar part, wouldn't you just play the whole song all the way through, and then stop to record a new take. Yes, in a real studio there are pros handling all of this for you and the musicians don't have to interface with the DAW while recording. My thought about live recording is that you record a complete guitar take to each pad, then later decide how you want to chop it up or just keep the best one.

If a musician is operating the DAW during a recording session, doesn't he have to stop and arm a new track to record the next take? Whether the audio goes into a pad or onto an Audio Track should only change workflow in editing, I think. I may be missing something here. I think of using NS2 strictly from the perspective of a solo musician, but there may be things in recording sessions for bands that make using NS2 awkward. I dunno. Curious to find out more though, if you have the time.

NS2 is really efficient with CPU usage. Will muting tracks not work like Audio Freeze? Forgive my ignorance on that, I've never used that feature.

• @dendy said:

It seemed easier to keep up with posts when there was just one NS2 thread...

Yeah this. Is there anybody who can merge all those 3 threads if possible ? It's mess now :)

Or lock all of them, create new one "Official Nanostudio Thread" and put links to it to all those old locked threads ...

I find the massive threads ungainly and off-putting. I only started this one so no one had to wade through pages of posts just to find the link. My preference would be posts on specific topics. Still, I’d advise everyone buying NS2 to join the new forum when it’s set up. Maybe I’ll start a new thread when it’s ready 😉

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Slam_Cut said:
    The MX49 is pretty light weight, but with it I don’t fit in to the hipster crowd at Startbucks.

:D :D :D
    I had to Google who that was. Uhh... no! Does't sound like me. I'm very middle/centrist on most things.
    I fear I don't get the joke on my misspelling. Startbucks. HA! What the hell is that?

• @iansainsbury said:

@dendy said:

It seemed easier to keep up with posts when there was just one NS2 thread...

Yeah this. Is there anybody who can merge all those 3 threads if possible ? It's mess now :)

Or lock all of them, create new one "Official Nanostudio Thread" and put links to it to all those old locked threads ...

I find the massive threads ungainly and off-putting. I only started this one so no one had to wade through pages of posts just to find the link. My preference would be posts on specific topics. Still, I’d advise everyone buying NS2 to join the new forum when it’s set up. Maybe I’ll start a new thread when it’s ready 😉

I totally get it that you were making things easier to find. I'm just whining. I lived on NS1 forum for years and can't wait for NS2 forum. It'll get crazy with too many threads to read, just like old NS1 forum. I find this forum great for finding out news of new apps, which your OP was helping with for people who may not have heard of this NS2 thing.

• edited December 2018

Will muting tracks not work like Audio Freeze?

Yeah, but you then you don't hear anything :-)) I can imagine if one wants extensively use AU plugins, freeze is inevitable. Or resampling.

What lot people don't realise is that Obsidian can replace 90% of AU instruments with fraction of CPU needed :) And with project build mostly with Obsidians, on devices not older than 2-3 years, you don't need a give shit about freezing, resampling and stuff like that from other than creative reasons. Definitely not for saving CPU :-)

Btw. regarding muting - nanostudio allows 2 mute track modes, which are possible to switch in app settiings

• mute just audio - in this case audio is muted, but synth is still playing in backgound - adbantage is immediately you unmute track, you hear again audio. Disadvantage is that in this case track is eating CPU all the time

• mute audio + content - in this case, after you mute track, all notes are stopped to, and everything on track goes to "sleep" mode - which means it consume 0 cpu .. disadvatage is that after you unmute it, you hear sound only after first next note is played ..

• @dendy said:

Will muting tracks not work like Audio Freeze?

Yeah, but you then you don't hear anything :-)) I can imagine if one wants extensively use AU plugins, freeze is inevitable. Or resampling.

What lot people don't realise is that Obsidian can replace 90% of AU instruments with fraction of CPU needed :) So with project build mostly on Obsidians, on devices not older than 2-3 years, you don't need a give shit about freezing, resampling and stuff like that from other than creative reasons. Definitely not for saving CPU :-)

Btw. regarding muting - nanostudio allows 2 mute track modes, which are possible to switch in app settiings

• mute just audio - in this case audio is muted, but synth is still playing in backgound - adbantage is immediately you unmute track, you hear again audio. Disadvantage is that in this case track is eating CPU all the time

• mute audio + content - in this case, after you mute track, all notes are stopped to, and everything on track goes to "sleep" mode - which means it consume 0 cpu .. disadvatage is that after you unmute it, you hear sound only after first next note is played ..

I was thinking in terms of recording live audio, like a standard rock band. If take 1 is finished, mute audio track (when that becomes available) or simply don't trigger slate pads. Keep recording takes of guitar. The only reason I can see for wanting to hear the audio of the previous guitar take is if you wanted to... (I'm spacing on the term!) record over a few notes. I dunno.

• No.. there really ARE use case when our workaround with loading loops to slate pads stops to be effective. There is blurred border between situations "it's still ok" and "not suitable, too complicated", but it is there.. that's why i think if true audio tracks are for somebody essetial, it's good to wait till summer 2019 ..

• @dendy @recccp @Slam_Cut Many thanks, I did never notice this!
    Quite neat :) :) :)

• @dendy said:

What lot people don't realise is that Obsidian can replace 90% of AU instruments with fraction of CPU needed :) And with project build mostly with Obsidians, on devices not older than 2-3 years, you don't need a give shit about freezing, resampling and stuff like that from other than creative reasons. Definitely not for saving CPU :-)

This optimisation, in my opinion is one of the most amazing features of Matt’s coding.
    On working on tracks, I never once got near to needing a freeze function.
    Or for that matter, feeling the need to use AU’s, and I have quite a few.

• @Slam_Cut said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Slam_Cut said:

:D :D :D
    I had to Google who that was. Uhh... no! Does't sound like me. I'm very middle/centrist on most things.
    I fear I don't get the joke on my misspelling. Startbucks. HA! What the hell is that?

He's famous for supposedly overhearing people in hipster coffee shops who secretly adore the president. (I didn't think for a moment that your NS2 industry translated into venal disinformation, really. ;) )

• edited December 2018

On working on tracks, I never once got near to needing a freeze function.

And you tracks are far away from minimalistic, in terms of number of instruments and fxs :smiley:

Or for that matter, feeling the need to use AU’s, and I have quite a few.

I ended in stage, that currently only AUs i use for my production are Troublemaker (everybody needs 303!!) and Ripplemaker (mostly because of beautiful FM LFO > OSC modulation and OSC folding option).

All other is covered by Obsidian.

• @Slam_Cut said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Slam_Cut said:

I am still a bit curious, and please understand I am not being argumentative - I'm just not experienced at audio recording as with live bands. I'm not sure if NS2 would work for live bands. But if recording audio of say a guitar part, wouldn't you just play the whole song all the way through, and then stop to record a new take. Yes, in a real studio there are pros handling all of this for you and the musicians don't have to interface with the DAW while recording. My thought about live recording is that you record a complete guitar take to each pad, then later decide how you want to chop it up or just keep the best one.

If a musician is operating the DAW during a recording session, doesn't he have to stop and arm a new track to record the next take? Whether the audio goes into a pad or onto an Audio Track should only change workflow in editing, I think. I may be missing something here. I think of using NS2 strictly from the perspective of a solo musician, but there may be things in recording sessions for bands that make using NS2 awkward. I dunno. Curious to find out more though, if you have the time.

NS2 is really efficient with CPU usage. Will muting tracks not work like Audio Freeze? Forgive my ignorance on that, I've never used that feature.

I hear ya, I'm not trying to be argumentative either, just chewing the fat :)

If you can take 1 take to a single pad of say 5 mins long then the differences in recording/performance will not be an issue, you would still have to 'slice' the take to multiple pads in order to be able to loop reasonable sections when mixing, as long as it's not bagpipes with a constant drone of course :D
    So for multi-tracking, can you record to more than 1 pad at a time from multiple sources ?

• edited December 2018

Just maybe it could interest somebody, becuase it looks lot of "sample-oriented" guys is here :)

In Obsidian you can AUTOMATE sample start (and loop start, and loop end), so it is also useable for some cases when you load to obsidian longer sample (for example 2 minutes long) and then you trigger it from different positions with each note using automation ..

you can modulate sample start also using LFO or ENV or by other souces like velocity, or by note itself !
    Of course that automation of sample start it's a bit science and labouring with exact settings to get something musically usefull from it, but it's definitely a HELL LOT OF FUN :-)

• This looks brilliant! However I’m going to stick with Stagelight until I’ve finished the current album I’m working on. By then the iPhone versh should be out, teething issues solved, and maybe audio track support added.

These are exciting times. I just hope Blip don’t go off radar again!

• To get back on topic, thanks for the link.

• Is the pre-order discounted?
    Only reason I would pay for something sight unseen (when early adopters deal with the most bugs usually.)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Slam_Cut said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Slam_Cut said:

I hear ya, I'm not trying to be argumentative either, just chewing the fat :)

If you can take 1 take to a single pad of say 5 mins long then the differences in recording/performance will not be an issue, you would still have to 'slice' the take to multiple pads in order to be able to loop reasonable sections when mixing, as long as it's not bagpipes with a constant drone of course :D
    So for multi-tracking, can you record to more than 1 pad at a time from multiple sources ?

Yeah, this is good. I'm trying to learn a bit while we are chewing, since I'm inexperienced at recording live audio.
    I seriously doubt that multi-track recording of multiple sources will be possible until maybe Audio Tracks are added.
    I think that the limit on each pad of Slate is around 2 hours...? So One could make really long takes, catch the mood and stay in the groove through multiple takes and then edit sections later as needed. I haven't done this, just to be clear. So it will be up to someone else to decide how useful NS2 is for recording a band like one would in a pro studio.

• @dustgod said:
    Is the pre-order discounted?
    Only reason I would pay for something sight unseen (when early adopters deal with the most bugs usually.)

No, this is just a standard price. I feel it is an excellent deal for what we get. It is under-priced to be sure.
    You'll have to be REALLY good to find bugs. This is rock solid reliable. But... I don't know what arcane uses people will try to use to test NS2.

• @Slam_Cut said:

@dustgod said:

No, this is just a standard price. I feel it is an excellent deal for what we get. It is under-priced to be sure.
    You'll have to be REALLY good to find bugs. This is rock solid reliable. But... I don't know what arcane uses people will try to use to test NS2.

I am curious how much pounding AUs have recieved...

• @AudioGus said:

@Slam_Cut said:

@dustgod said:

I am curious how much pounding AUs have recieved...

Yes, curious about this as well. And which ones were pounded.

• iPad only 😳

• @DaveMagoo said:
    iPad only 😳

Wait 3-6 month

This discussion has been closed.