Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 pre-order link

Comments

• What are the iap?

• @dreamrobe said:
    What are the iap?

patch banks, partially synth based but a lot of sample based patches and also some drum kits.. their size varies from 50 to 250 MB and thei are divided based on genre (acoustic instruments, dance&dubstep, hiphop, industrial).. there will be also one free IAP pack with examples of patches from other payed packs

• @dendy said:
    Believe me, audio tracks will be anything like gadget crippled implementation :-)) I'm pretry sure everybody who is now complainig will be amazed and mind blowed then.

No-one is complaining, just stating facts. The only reason I mentioned it is as a warning for those who may not have been caught out by the Korg promises of audio tracks in Gadget.

Well done to Matt for getting it this far....

I'll wait for my mind to be blown by said audio tracks! Until then, my wallet is firmly closed B)

• @dendy said:

@dreamrobe said:
    What are the iap?

patch banks, partially synth based but a lot of sample based patches and also some drum kits.. their size varies from 50 to 250 MB and thei are divided based on genre (acoustic instruments, dance&dubstep, hiphop, industrial).. there will be also one free IAP pack with examples of patches from other payed packs

Thank you :)

• edited December 2018

Can I check the manual pdf first before I order the app? I just don't like searching threads for what the app does and can't do.

I want to know stuff like:
    Mixbusses?
    Quantize on/off?
    Sf2/Sfz import?
    Nudge notes? (back/fwd/up/down/octave)
    Chord mode + chord sets?
    Chord mode midi notes record (see the notes)
    Sample slicer?
    Transients slicer?
    On/offline timestretching?
    Solid timing: playback of 16th notes without hickups or sloppy timing?

• edited December 2018

@SlowwFloww said:
    Can I check the manual pdf first before I order the app? I just don't like searching threads for what the app do and can't do.

Yes, manual will be available also online, that's the plan, just not sure if before release or from day of release.. If you're interested in any particular detail feel free to ask here ;)

• @dendy How will midi import work? Will I be able to drag and drop onto a track? Or import just to a track?

• edited December 2018

@Chaztrip
    Will I be able to drag and drop onto a track?

exactly.. you drag n drop it to track in sequencer - at any position in timeline you want .. it then asks you if want import all stuff from file INTO that track or if it should create new tracks for every midi channel in file .. (also it asks you if you want import tempo and time signature events)

so you can add MIDI file to existing project ;)

• @dendy said:

@Chaztrip
    Will I be able to drag and drop onto a track?

exactly.. you drag n drop it to track in sequencer - it then asks you if want import all stuff from file INTO that track or if it should create new tracks for every midi channel in file .. (also it asks you if you want import tempo changes)

so you can add MIDI file to existing project ;)

Midi import. Drag and drop? Am I dreaming?
    Will it Support the native files System of iPad/ iOS then? Or will it copy each sample /file into the app and bloat it up over time?

• @AndyPlankton said:
    No-one is complaining, just stating facts. [...] I'll wait for my mind to be blown by said audio tracks! Until then, my wallet is firmly closed B)

I think this is a fair warning for anyone with audio tracks as a must-have feature. You can go to nanostudio forums and find posts by Blip/Matt back in 2010 where audio tracks are surely considered as candidate future features. It gradually became clear that they were hard to work into NS1. I think anyone following that forum those years thought that if NS2 ever were to be developed, then surely audio tracks would be there from day one (given the multiple repeated requests). Now that they aren't, we can understand the need to focus on a smaller feature set to get the first version out, but we also know how many times (years!) the NS2 release has been pushed back. You shouldn't be super annoyed and shocked if these NS2 audio tracks make it to the app in summer 2020 instead of summer 2019. If you do, then better wait with the purchase.
    Other than that, I'm sure NS2 will be a great app of highest quality in all parts!

• @bleep said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    No-one is complaining, just stating facts. [...] I'll wait for my mind to be blown by said audio tracks! Until then, my wallet is firmly closed B)

I think this is a fair warning for anyone with audio tracks as a must-have feature. You can go to nanostudio forums and find posts by Blip/Matt back in 2010 where audio tracks are surely considered as candidate future features. It gradually became clear that they were hard to work into NS1. I think anyone following that forum those years thought that if NS2 ever were to be developed, then surely audio tracks would be there from day one (given the multiple repeated requests). Now that they aren't, we can understand the need to focus on a smaller feature set to get the first version out, but we also know how many times (years!) the NS2 release has been pushed back. You shouldn't be super annoyed and shocked if these NS2 audio tracks make it to the app in summer 2020 instead of summer 2019. If you do, then better wait with the purchase.
    Other than that, I'm sure NS2 will be a great app of highest quality in all parts!

Nicely summed and fair point from @AndyPlankton on features not available. It’s not knocking the product. I’m as excited as any to give it a go, but I also have a hand full of quite capable music making apps already, so it’s fair that some would want to find out what this has to offer now. Never any point in thinking that any feature to be added is a sure thing - even some features have disappeared from some apps!

I will buy it, but many people really would like to know more before buying yet another DAW that is missing important features to them.

I would however make a shout out to @dendy who is doing a diamond job of trying to help us know what this app has and doesn’t have - well done!

• edited December 2018

Awww, birth of a megathread. They grow up so fast!

• edited December 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@bleep said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Nicely summed and fair point from @AndyPlankton on features not available. It’s not knocking the product. I’m as excited as any to give it a go, but I also have a hand full of quite capable music making apps already, so it’s fair that some would want to find out what this has to offer now. Never any point in thinking that any feature to be added is a sure thing - even some features have disappeared from some apps!

I will buy it, but many people really would like to know more before buying yet another DAW that is missing important features to them.

I would however make a shout out to @dendy who is doing a diamond job of trying to help us know what this app has and doesn’t have - well done!

I agree. It's not negative to point out a product's lack of features. This audio recording feature is indeed extremely important to some users, so those may wish to hold off or use another app. When it lands it will makes NS2 an even more complete app/DAW. I don't care about that (at this point) so I'm happy with the current feature set, ecstatic is more accurate.

Thanks @dendy for your more than admirable q & a sessions. Could you maybe start a new thread to keep all of this in closer to one place? Huzzah!!!!

• Dendy does make a good point about a lot of apps that did not have audio tracks, including NS1. It just wasn’t part of NS1’s initial concept. That didn’t stop a lot of great music from being made. A guitarist might think “gotta have audio tracks”, but NS2 can record audio right into the Slate pads. You can record guitar riffs, long ass solos, or vocals - whatever, and launch those clips in the sequencer. Perhaps this is different than how people are used to working. If using audio clips simply won’t do, wait and see if proper audio tracks appear next summer. Or get Auria...? I remember when Auria didn’t have MIDI. How long was the wait for Auria to get MIDI? The answer doesn’t matter - we’re spoiled with iOS apps.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

Yeah I think we agree on anyone right to decide what features they need/want. All fair enough. I don’t quite get it - why Audio Clip won’t work but Audio Tracks will. Is it just seeing the audio waveform iningbup with MIDI events? Is it trimming tiny bits of audio from a take? Nonetheless, I don’t need to understand, just curious. I’m a little frustrated that this is such a hangup when I’ve been using audio since NS1. Trying to offer help is all we’re really doing here. Trying to spread a little joy. I believe in the app and hope it succeeds so that it can continue to be developed - admittedly a selfish reason. I will enjoy using it and it doesn’t really affect me if others aren’t using it.

Truly!!! Dendy has been doing an amazing job. I’m learning a lot from all of his posts.

• @Slam_Cut said:
    NS2 can record audio right into the Slate pads. You can record guitar riffs, long ass solos, or vocals - whatever, and launch those clips in the sequencer.

Wait, so it does do audio?

• @Slam_Cut said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Yeah I think we agree on anyone right to decide what features they need/want. All fair enough. I don’t quite get it - why Audio Clip won’t work but Audio Tracks will. Is it just seeing the audio waveform iningbup with MIDI events? Is it trimming tiny bits of audio from a take? Nonetheless, I don’t need to understand, just curious. I’m a little frustrated that this is such a hangup when I’ve been using audio since NS1. Trying to offer help is all we’re really doing here. Trying to spread a little joy. I believe in the app and hope it succeeds so that it can continue to be developed - admittedly a selfish reason. I will enjoy using it and it doesn’t really affect me if others aren’t using it.

Truly!!! Dendy has been doing an amazing job. I’m learning a lot from all of his posts.

Just a little point here @Slam_Cut

The post above shows me quoted as saying something that was said by someone else :D

• edited December 2018

@mistercharlie said:

It does audio in the same way NS1 does it, by loading audio into a sampler pad that you can have triggered by a midi note. Now, let's say your audio is a 2 minute track and you are trying to loop a section of your arrangement for finetuning. If that audio is arranged to be triggered before this section, then you will not hear it while you are loop-editing (since the sample will not be midi triggered in this region). Had it been a normal audio track, you would have heard this audio during your edits.

• edited December 2018

.> @bleep said:

@mistercharlie said:

It does audio in the way NS1 does it, by loading audio into a sampler pad that you can have triggered by a midi note. Now, let's say your audio is a 2 minute track and you are trying to loop a section of your arrangement for finetuning. If that audio is arranged to be triggered before this section, then you will not hear it while you are loop-editing (since the sample will not be midi triggered in this region). Had it been a normal audio track, you would have heard this audio during your edits.

Yeah. So it's not much handy for very long audio files but for shorter loops it works almost perfectly. I did whole album with this approach in NS1, full of sampled material from other apps or HW synths :)

In Slate "pad" sampler you can also choose starting offset, so sample will not start from begining but from defined position. This is set by knob which set to 0 menas start sample from beiging, and set to max menas start it from sustain loop point.

Something similiar is available in Obsidian sampler oscillator, just there you can also modulate this start point (or sustain loop start point), or even automate it by assigning it to macro control.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Slam_Cut said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Just a little point here @Slam_Cut

The post above shows me quoted as saying something that was said by someone else :D

Oops! Sorry about that. I shouldn’t post on the forum before having first cup of coffee! 😊
    And it is really hard sometimes to keep track of who said what. Mostly I am not singling out individuals so much as trying to answer questions. So many questions! 😀

• Can these clips be recorded direct into the app, or do they have to be recorded elsewhere and imported? Because if it’s the former, I’m in. I rarely recorded long takes.

• OK! Looks like you are in! You’ve just sold your soul, but hey, were you really using it anyway?
    Kidding. Obviously. Yes. I just used EGSY01 as AUv3, recorded a MIDI part, selected mixdown of that soloed part, loaded that Audio Clip .wav file into Slate, and bam! Audio. I record into AudioShare if I want to use IAA app.

• edited December 2018

@mistercharlie said:
    Can these clips be recorded direct into the app, or do they have to be recorded elsewhere and imported? Because if it’s the former, I’m in. I rarely recorded long takes.

Depends of what 'clips' .. app itsef have recording feature - you can record audio from external inpu (i mean external input of device or external sound card).

You can also create mixdown of any part of song / track, export it to audio file within app files structure.

Regarding IAA/AB stuff, of courser this neeeds to be recorded somewhere else, but it not that bad, i used this workflow a lot, with AudioShare i'ts really easy

• inside NSm you use MIDI OUT instrument to send notes and CC to any IAA synth app
    • you open that app (IAA) inside AudioShare, you hit record there
    • you hit play in NS2. After you record what you want, you use "Open in Nanostudio" within AudioShare app and you get your audio into NS2

done.

• And yesterday I did a similar thing (recording audio in NS2) with MIDI out to Yamaha MX49. MIDI sequence of chords, recorded 6 chords, chopped them up into separate samples on different pads. Now I continue working on that track without bringing my MX49 with me. The MX49 is pretty light weight, but with it I don’t fit in to the hipster crowd at Startbucks.

• Caustic handles “audio tracks” without actually having audio tracks, the same way, and there’s a trick there (which I’m sure would work in NS 2) where a really extended audio file can be split at bars and placed across a few pads to play the length of a full track.

• It seemed easier to keep up with posts when there was just one NS2 thread...
    Am I wrong? I get the convienience of the orginal posts for video & link to keep it easy to access, but... Ah well. Another cup of coffee then. 😊

• edited December 2018

It seemed easier to keep up with posts when there was just one NS2 thread...

Yeah this. Is there anybody who can merge all those 3 threads if possible ? It's mess now :)

Or lock all of them, create new one "Official Nanostudio Thread" and put links to it to all those old locked threads ...

• @dendy Thanks for that quick audio recording tutorial for NS2. I was wondering how I was going to get clips recorded without Audiobus.

I take it that with the MIDI Out, I can have NS2 playing in the background and controlling another synth app (say an orchestral part in SampleTank) so I can hear how it all sounds together AND edit my performance with MIDI before I record it. Then I simply do the above to record the SampleTank part in AudioShare and bring the .wav file into NS2. Is that about right? If so, then the MIDI out makes things a lot better for my workflow than simply using Audiobus in NS1.

• @dendy said:

@mistercharlie said:
    Can these clips be recorded direct into the app, or do they have to be recorded elsewhere and imported? Because if it’s the former, I’m in. I rarely recorded long takes.

Depends of what 'clips' .. app itsef have recording feature - you can record audio from external inpu (i mean external input of device or external sound card).

You can also create mixdown of any part of song / track, export it to audio file within app files structure.

Regarding IAA/AB stuff, of courser this neeeds to be recorded somewhere else, but it not that bad, i used this workflow a lot, with AudioShare i'ts really easy

• inside NSm you use MIDI OUT instrument to send notes and CC to any IAA synth app
    • you open that app (IAA) inside AudioShare, you hit record there
    • you hit play in NS2. After you record what you want, you use "Open in Nanostudio" within AudioShare app and you get your audio into NS2

done.

AudioShare can host IAA Apps? :o
    Or did you mean AUM?

• @dendy @Slam_Cut
    Thanks for answering all these questions about NS2.
    I thought you guys might be part of the dev team at Blip, but apparently that is a team of one. I am shocked, after looking at this feature-packed app. It is amazing what talented individuals can achieve on their own.

(Reminds me of when I found out that the debut album by that old rock band Boston was secretly played, recorded, and produced by one person).

This discussion has been closed.