Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

USB-C Extension Cable Success!

edited December 2018 in Other

So far all the USB-C hubs I've seen come with ridiculously short pigtail connectors that are okay for a laptop on a desk, but that's about it. I've been looking for a USB-C extension cable but all the reviews indicate that they're hit or miss at best. I ordered a few to try out and have successfully used one to use with my hub connected to a MIDI controller and USB to 3.5 mm audio adapter while charging with the PD port on the hub.

This CableCreations cable works. I bought both the 0.3m and the 0.5m, but the 0.5m works great. I'm going to order the 1m cable next to push my luck. I haven't really stress tested it, and this isn't a long term test, just a proof of concept result so far. I don't have any need for the HDMI or Ethernet or SD card connections so I haven't tested those yet.

I'm also trying out these right angle adapters and they're working in combination with the extension. The result seems like it might put some torque on the iPad's connector though, so I'm not sure if I'll use them out side of special cases. Seems like the port would be better secured against the shorter leverage of on-axis strain rather than rotational strain, with more leverage to boot.

This cable was a total failure and is getting returned.

Comments

• @Liquidmantis said:
    So far all the USB-C hubs I've seen come with ridiculously short pigtail connectors that are okay for a laptop on a desk, but that's about it. I've been looking for a USB-C extension cable but all the reviews indicate that they're hit or miss at best. I ordered a few to try out and have successfully used one to use with my hub connected to a MIDI controller and USB to 3.5 mm audio adapter while charging with the PD port on the hub.

This CableCreations cable works. I bought both the 0.3m and the 0.5m, but the 0.5m works great. I'm going to order the 1m cable next to push my luck. I haven't really stress tested it, and this isn't a long term test, just a proof of concept result so far. I don't have any need for the HDMI or Ethernet or SD card connections so I haven't tested those yet.

I'm also trying out these right angle adapters and they're working in combination with the extension. The result seems like it might put some torque on the iPad's connector though, so I'm not sure if I'll use them out side of special cases. Seems like the port would be better secured against the shorter leverage of on-axis strain rather than rotational strain, with more leverage to boot.

This cable was a total failure and is getting returned.

Thanks for the report!!

• Thanks for the headsup.
    I am super excited about Type C. Got a little Dongle (with USB A, HMDI, SD Card and Type C though for charging). Works perfectly. Then I got a little USB Sound card dongle and plugged it in. Took my Audiotechnica and boom, its just working. That cool.
    And to hear the extension of 50cm works too is a really good information. Thanks mate.

• Thx for the info👍🏼 luv these tips that save us time and error.

• edited December 2018

Last night I used the 0.3m cable to great success as well, so I'm two for two on the CableCreations cables to my USB-C hubs (I found those when they were only $17.50 US and there was a 50% coupon, too! Wish I'd bought a couple more while they were that cheap.)

I'm using this USB to 3.5mm adapter to get a simple headphone connection and it's working fine. It causes a bit of weirdness when you plug it in, I think the audio switches from 48kHz to 44.1, and the audio streams slow down. But once it's connected things work.

• Lots of these hubs have a card reader slot. Aside from directly inputting photos from a camera, what use are they? I've never used them or see a need for it and the hub without the card reader is half the price (Anker)

• Currently, that's it. You can import photos and video from cameras. At least for now you can't use it as general storage, and like say export audio tracks.

• I doubt Apple will ever allow normal file access. But if... boy the iPad would be the thing

• I finally got around to testing the 1m cable and I'm happy to report the same success, even when using the right angle adapter piece! This let me put my iPad on a stand with one single lead going to my USB-C hub with a couple of MIDI controllers and that simple USB-3.5mm adapter, while charging the iPad. This is so much cleaner than using the CCK3 and USB hub.

• Very helpful @Liquidmantis - saved to cart.
    In your 2nd post, the link to the 'USB to 3.5mm adapter' is the same link to the USB-C hub?

• @ocelot said:
    Very helpful @Liquidmantis - saved to cart.
    In your 2nd post, the link to the 'USB to 3.5mm adapter' is the same link to the USB-C hub?

Oops! Must've been a clipboard failure. I fixed the link above, but it's this Ugreen adapter that I've been using for a quick and easy headphone adapter with the hub when I don't need a full audio interface.

• Thanks @Liquidmantis
    This is wierd (UGreen USB>3.5mm adapter): Important Note: For using with PS4, the output sound for Left and Right chanel will be Reversed as the sound sampling rate of our audio adapter(192K/24BIT) is higher than PS4 Compatibility(48K/16BIT).
    Sorry for all the questions :) but what are the available sampling rates when it's attached to your Aplomb USB-C hub? You should be able to check with AUM, etc. I think it bypasses the hosts's DAC, since it has its own DAC? Thanks again.

• edited December 2018

You've been very helpful - mighty appreciative!

• Based on your advice, I tried the 50cm CableCreations extension and it works great.

• @ocelot said:
    Thanks @Liquidmantis
    This is wierd (UGreen USB>3.5mm adapter): Important Note: For using with PS4, the output sound for Left and Right chanel will be Reversed as the sound sampling rate of our audio adapter(192K/24BIT) is higher than PS4 Compatibility(48K/16BIT).
    Sorry for all the questions :) but what are the available sampling rates when it's attached to your Aplomb USB-C hub? You should be able to check with AUM, etc. I think it bypasses the hosts's DAC, since it has its own DAC? Thanks again.

Right, it is a DAC. I can select 96kHz but don't have an option for 192.

@mistercharlie said:
    Based on your advice, I tried the 50cm CableCreations extension and it works great.

Glad it was helpful!

• Okay, the jury is still out on the 1m cable. I switched to my Sonic Port VX to get a guitar input and I was getting somewhat frequent disconnects with it. It's acting a little glitchy in general though, so I don't know if the USB cable I'm using for it or the Sonic Port itself might be at fault. I'll test it with the hub directly connected as well.

• Sorry, I may have missed it @Liquidmantis but which USB-C Hub are you using to connect this extension cable to?

• @AlterEgo_UK said:
    Sorry, I may have missed it @Liquidmantis but which USB-C Hub are you using to connect this extension cable to?

This one