Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Duet Display versus Air Display 3 versus Chrome Remote ?

Looking to use my iPad Pro 2038 as a second monitor. I saw someone who was using it with Ableton Live and have touch controls on the iPad for a device in Ableton on his windows machine. I think he was using Duet Dispaly. I'm on a mac. Has anyone tried any of these and do they work?!

Comments

• edited December 2018

There’s Astropad which does this on the Mac. Works great. They offer 2 flavors of the app. If you need full on Pencil support for drawing then Studio is the way to go...otherwise the Standard version should work.
    https://www.astropad.com/

FWIW, i never could get Duet Display to work for me...but this may have changed in the last year. But i am super happy with Astropad.

• @echoopera said:
    There’s Astropad which does this on the Mac. Works great. They offer 2 flavors of the app. If you need full on Pencil support for drawing then Studio is the way to go...otherwise the Standard version should work.
    https://www.astropad.com/

FWIW, i never could get Duet Display to work for me...but this may have changed in the last year. But i am super happy with Astropad.

Thanks! Looks like its an ongoing subscription thing... hrm....

• edited December 2018

Only for the Pro version. Standard is one time payment of 29.99

I think Duet Dudplay is subscription only as well fwiw...19.99 annually.

• @echoopera said:
    Only for the Pro version. Standard is one time payment of 29.99

I think Duet Dudplay is subscription only as well fwiw...19.99 annually.

Thanks a lot!

• The best VNC app I tried is Splashtop 2 but that was some time ago and versions had changed so IDK how good option is nowadays.

Also you have specific apps for controlling Ableton Live being the most popular Touchable.
    The latest version (and recommended by the developer) is Touchable Pro.

https://zerodebug.com/touchablepro

• edited December 2018

@echoopera @gkillmaster just to clear things up about DuetDisplay:

• It works on Mac also (not just Windows).
    • The app is a one-time purchase, definitely no subscription required for full function.

There is an extra feature for "Duet Pro" annual subscription. I'm not sure what it does, I think better Apple Pencil integration. But its not needed for basic extra monitor support. There's also "Air" subscription which enables it to be used wirelessly (also not required)

• @Hmtx said:
    @echoopera @gkillmaster just to clear things up about DuetDisplay:

• It works on Mac also (not just Windows).
    • The app is a one-time purchase, definitely no subscription required for full function.

There is an extra feature for "Duet Pro" annual subscription. I'm not sure what it does, I think better Apple Pencil integration. But its not needed for basic extra monitor support. There's also "Air" subscription which enables it to be used wirelessly (also not required)

Hrmmm but the IAP says 19.99 a year or 1.99 a month.

I just find Astropad better to use on macOS. The Standard version for $29.99 should be more than enough.

• Yeah, all I'm saying is the IAP is optional. Standard DuetDisplay is $9.99 right now, so it is a cheaper "more than enough" option if @gkillmaster is looking for a basic external monitor solution.

You don't have to buy any of the IAPs to use DuetDisplay.

• @Hmtx said:
    Yeah, all I'm saying is the IAP is optional. Standard DuetDisplay is $9.99 right now, so it is a cheaper "more than enough" option if @gkillmaster is looking for a basic external monitor solution.

Ahh gotcha. Didn’t see the 9.99 price in the app description.

• @Hmtx said:
    Yeah, all I'm saying is the IAP is optional. Standard DuetDisplay is $9.99 right now, so it is a cheaper "more than enough" option if @gkillmaster is looking for a basic external monitor solution.

Yeh, thanks @Hmtx ! I'm hoping I can open up a plugin on my desktop in Bitwig and be able to use the monitor as a touch screen to move the parameters. Secondarily, it would be nice to be able to also use my apple pencil too but not neccesary. I guess it would effectively turn the ipad into a tablet of sorts which would be nice...

• I just got this from Duet's support team. Quick response!

"It doesn't require a subscription in order to use the base model of the app, which will allow you to use your iPad as an external touch screen. Although we do have upgraded subscriptions. These are the differences of each one.

Duet Pro is an in-app purchase for the iPads which support the Apple Pencil and turns it into a drawing tablet. This is a subscription for the price of $24.99 per year or $3.99 per month, you can use it in MacOS and Windows.

Once it's purchased, it will unlock a whole suite of features including tailored algorithms for faster drawing response, pressure & tilt control, multi-touch gestures zoom & pan, hover, line smoothing, color calibration, and Pixel Perfect image refresh. It also brings to the table wireless connection which uses your existing internet connection to establish a wireless image on the iPad.

Duet Air is an in-app purchase that turns your iPad into a lightning-fast wireless second display or remote desktop so you can get things done from anywhere. This is a subscription for the price of $19.99 per year or $1.99 per month, is only compatible with MacOS 10.10 or later, Windows 8 or later and iOS 9.0 or later (Remote desktop only available for Mac).

Once it's purchased, it unlocks Duet’s algorithms to be specifically optimized for wireless and it enables high-performance processing and color correction to render a perfect display in real time. It also brings to the table wireless connection which uses your existing internet connection to establish a wireless image on the iPad."

• edited December 2018

I have Air Display 3. It depends on what you're using it for. If you're using it for a second, or in my case, a 3rd monitor... it works perfectly well. Via mouse/touchpad there's no lag at all when connected via usb.

If you want to use it as a graphics tablet, there's too much lag. And wirelessly, it's almost unusable as a graphics tablet.

The best one I've seen for graphics tablet use, is Astropad. I played with the free version and it's easy to set up with no noticeable lag. I don't have the paid iPad version, but from what I've seen from the free one, it could easily turn your iPad into a smooth graphics tablet for professional work.

As a second monitor only though, can't really beat Air Display 3. Works well and no subscription.

edit: I'm using it on a mac running mojave. It works on windows too, but I don't have any experience using it with windows.

• @skiphunt said:
    I have Air Display 3. It depends on what you're using it for. If you're using it for a second, or in my case, a 3rd monitor... it works perfectly well. Via mouse/touchpad there's no lag at all when connected via usb.

If you want to use it as a graphics tablet, there's too much lag. And wirelessly, it's almost unusable as a graphics tablet.

The best one I've seen for graphics tablet use, is Astropad. I played with the free version and it's easy to set up with no noticeable lag. I don't have the paid iPad version, but from what I've seen from the free one, it could easily turn your iPad into a smooth graphics tablet for professional work.

As a second monitor only though, can't really beat Air Display 3. Works well and no subscription.

edit: I'm using it on a mac running mojave. It works on windows too, but I don't have any experience using it with windows.

well, I ended up getting Duet Display and having trouble getting it to work reliably. I was able to open Bitwig and turn dials on the plugins but not on the host's parameters directly. Somewhat disappointing. Guess I should have looked at Air Display 3... Do you know if it will allow me control over the dials in a host DAW?

• Astropad works. I use it all the time with ableton.

• @echoopera said:
    Astropad works. I use it all the time with ableton.

I'll probably end up with that. Trying to get by a little less expensive

• @gkillmaster said:

@skiphunt said:

well, I ended up getting Duet Display and having trouble getting it to work reliably. I was able to open Bitwig and turn dials on the plugins but not on the host's parameters directly. Somewhat disappointing. Guess I should have looked at Air Display 3... Do you know if it will allow me control over the dials in a host DAW?

Honestly, I rarely use my iPad as an extra desktop monitor. I've already got two which is enough. I mostly used it when I was using my laptop more, as an extra laptop monitor for toolsets. Sometimes I'll toss apple messenger or spotify on it to keep them out of the work space.

• edited December 2018

that video is what got me started on this whole thing! He's on Windows and an older iPad Pro so maybe it works better there... Totally not working now...

• edited December 2018

Yep. I had a similar experience last year with the app. I could never get it to work consistently. Gave up on it and went for Astropad and haven’t regretted it to this day.

Just get a refund and say it doesn’t work.

• @skiphunt said:

@gkillmaster said:

@skiphunt said:

Honestly, I rarely use my iPad as an extra desktop monitor. I've already got two which is enough. I mostly used it when I was using my laptop more, as an extra laptop monitor for toolsets. Sometimes I'll toss apple messenger or spotify on it to keep them out of the work space.

Yeh, its taking all this time and I'm not even sure it would be very useful actually!

• edited December 2018

@echoopera said: Just get a refund and say it doesn’t work.

Yeh, thanks. I think that's what I'll do!