Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sugar Bytes Aparillo iOS

Comments

• I do think their apps are a blast to play with, and like I said... I’d buy them all over again.

Need to try a sparser use approach I reckon. Lately I’ve been using RE-1 to capture long samples then messing with time stretching in it, as well as the multi-head RE-1 delays. Once I get something good going, I’ll play something over it. I bet the Sugar Bytes apps would be a good fit for this.

I’m loving Aparillo for sure, but I was surprised how quickly I was starting to get fatigue of its sound, considering how much I immediately loved it at launch. More of a curious personal observation and not a critique.

• @skiphunt said:
    I do think their apps are a blast to play with, and like I said... I’d buy them all over again.

Need to try a sparser use approach I reckon. Lately I’ve been using RE-1 to capture long samples then messing with time stretching in it, as well as the multi-head RE-1 delays. Once I get something good going, I’ll play something over it. I bet the Sugar Bytes apps would be a good fit for this.

I’m loving Aparillo for sure, but I was surprised how quickly I was starting to get fatigue of its sound, considering how much I immediately loved it at launch. More of a curious personal observation and not a critique.

Maybe there’s just too much going on in the sounds to really adapt to your various use cases. Like it’s almost too rich? The Thanksgiving leftover turkey effect - four days of turkey sandwiches and I’m ready to pitch the carcass.

• @Daveypoo said:
    @1nsomniak I automate the Dictator in Turnado in apeMatrix in this video:

“Automate the dictator”. Is that what the kids are calling it these days? 😀

• @skiphunt
    If you don’t eat your meat, you can’t have any pudding.
    How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat?

You sound like me with Halloween candy. So excited to have so much free candy, but burn out a few days later and never finish it all.

• @skiphunt said:
    I was surprised how quickly I was starting to get fatigue of its sound

That's a good reason NOT to do reviews too soon. We get tired of some toys faster than others and should add that to a review.

It's a bit of a "one trick" race horse. It run's really fast but sometimes I want to consider the daisies in the field... smell the roses... do 15 things at once in ApeMatrix... build castles of abstractions from 10 different vendors that have never met.

I get bored. Ooo... new DAW available.

• @CracklePot true. I have the same Halloween candy problem ;) but riddle me this batman... when users post their masterpiece tracks on Youtube, Soundcloud, here, etc. and list the apps they used... you don't see SB apps mentioned that much.

@McDtracy Yes... agreed. I noticed when all the big sales were going on again... that I already had most of the ones on sale. It made me go back through the collection and start playing with stuff I haven't touched in awhile. Realized I've already got way more than I need and could likely cover every imaginable sound I cold possibly ever dream up.

For me I think Aparillo will be particularly useful when I don't want to have to put in much effort for something cool to drop on a video, art piece, or possibly even narrative stuff. I think their marketing verbiage about it being a cinematic soundtrack machine is right on target.

• @skiphunt said:
    Something odd that I've noticed consistently about Sugar Bytes apps. Right after I buy them, I love them and use them constantly for a couple days. Then, I kind of quickly burn out on them. I've got Turnado, WOW, Egoist, Unique, and Effectrix. Same scenario with each.

Funny thing is, I would re-buy them all over again. Still, for me at least, there seems to be a very quick burn-out response I get from using any of them.

The same with Aparillo. The day it launched I was all over it. Watched some of the developer's excellent tutorials, messed around exploring it for 2 or 3 evenings in a row.

Then, bam. The Sugar Bytes effect. Sort of fatigue of it's sound. Maybe too much of a good thing? I haven't noticed this with other apps so much.

I haven't paid for the IAP yet, but I likely will at some point. Just found it curious as to why their apps that are on one hand, very well designed and fun as hell to play with... almost like playing some kind of audio video game... but also, have a quick burn out factor. Anyone else experience this with Sugar Bytes apps?

Again, this isn't a knock on their apps. I love them and would buy them again

exactly the same for me! I hope Aparillo will change that cause I'm really into the into it phase...

• edited December 2018

@skiphunt said:
    @CracklePot true. I have the same Halloween candy problem ;) but riddle me this batman... when users post their masterpiece tracks on Youtube, Soundcloud, here, etc. and list the apps they used... you don't see SB apps mentioned that much.

There is a general controlled glitch thing that I think a lot people aspire to that is difficult to pull off even with tools that seem to be apropriate for a part of the job. To me they are not the sort of thing where you flip a switch, you have the sound, you publish the result.

That being said though, Aparillo for me is super nice for easily sweetening up Obsidian pieces in NS2 today, just adding a layer or two of ‘insert sugary term here’... mmm new ‘daw’ smell...

• @AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:
    @CracklePot true. I have the same Halloween candy problem ;) but riddle me this batman... when users post their masterpiece tracks on Youtube, Soundcloud, here, etc. and list the apps they used... you don't see SB apps mentioned that much.

There is a general controlled glitch thing that I think a lot people aspire to that is difficult to pull off even with tools that seem to be apropriate for a part of the job. To me they are not the sort of thing where you flip a switch, you have the sound, you publish the result.

That being said though, Aparillo for me is super nice for easily sweetening up Obsidian pieces in NS2 today, just adding a layer or two of ‘insert sugary term here’... mmm new ‘daw’ smell...

Have you posted anything with Aparillo yet? I don't recall your general style, but I vaguely remember liking a bunch of stuff you were doing with KRFT. Was that you?

• @skiphunt said:

@AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:

Have you posted anything with Aparillo yet? I don't recall your general style, but I vaguely remember liking a bunch of stuff you were doing with KRFT. Was that you?

I did have a couple old krft bits on an old password forgotten youtube channel from a long time ago. The last channel i started/bailed on was mostly BM3 stuff. I will post a soundcloud of the ns2/aparillo track if I can make it post worthy enough. Lord knows everything on soundcloud is amazing these day so we’ll see. ;)

• CPU sponge? Maybe. It's one of those Apps you hear and nothing sounds like that. The fact that it is free to hear is really something. Then of course... AUv3 and you've spent $18. It's the Rubric's Cube of synth app... takes a while to figure it out but there are clues on YouTube if you get stuck.

• @Seangarland said:

@Daveypoo said:
    @1nsomniak I automate the Dictator in Turnado in apeMatrix in this video:

“Automate the dictator”. Is that what the kids are calling it these days? 😀

You have no idea...

• @skiphunt said:

@AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:

• Is this the way to Aparillo?

• @PhilW said:
    Is this the way to Aparillo?

This?

• edited December 2018

Beauty!

• @audiblevideo said:

@skiphunt said:

@AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:

Good stuff! Did I detect a vague middle eastern vibe in this?

• Nice! Are the drums Aparillo?

• edited December 2018

@espiegel123 said:

Nice! Are the drums Aparillo?

All of it is Aparillo and Roseta. 7 instances of each. I was going for a more traditional less drone groove.

• Cool. Thanks!

@audiblevideo said:

@espiegel123 said:

Nice! Are the drums Aparillo?

All of it is Aparillo and Roseta. 7 instances of each. I was going for a more traditional less drone groove.

• youtu.be/YwLhHSgLWXo]"")

A string space drone demo of Aparillo.
    AUM with 2 instances of Aparillo with the very flexible and useful KB-1 keyboard auv3.
    (Sorry for the occasional cracking. The CPU was hovering dangerously around 90%. 😲)

• this thing sounds awesome

• Even just using Egoist as more of a random sample browser on large sample library compilation wavs. Aparillo will certainly show up a ton. But it is all bits and pieces for me.

how do you do this in Egoist?...

• I wonder who we'd have to bribe @ SB to get them to redo the interface for Thesys? Love it, but basically just frustration on iPad screen unless you have a toothpick sized stylus...

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    I wonder who we'd have to bribe @ SB to get them to redo the interface for Thesys? Love it, but basically just frustration on iPad screen unless you have a toothpick sized stylus...

Yeah, I can't get down with Thesys. The interface is one of a few reasons, but yeah - it's nearly unusable for me on the iPad.

• @Daveypoo said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    I wonder who we'd have to bribe @ SB to get them to redo the interface for Thesys? Love it, but basically just frustration on iPad screen unless you have a toothpick sized stylus...

Yeah, I can't get down with Thesys. The interface is one of a few reasons, but yeah - it's nearly unusable for me on the iPad.

It's a shame too as there's nothing else really like it that allows for so many variable lengths/rates for sequencing multiple parameters. StepPolyArpUnit is about the only thing even close.

• @kobamoto said:

Even just using Egoist as more of a random sample browser on large sample library compilation wavs. Aparillo will certainly show up a ton. But it is all bits and pieces for me.

how do you do this in Egoist?...

Step one is to take a bunch of choice samples and then stick them end to end in an audio editor and bounce them out as one whole track. Now in egoist you can load in a couple minutes of samples and just jump around the timeline and randomize, find samples etc.

Anyway, here is a video where I start a quick track from scratch, kind of gets the groove around 8:30

Here is another one, after a bit of mucking...

• @audiogus ah ok I see, I use this work around elsewhere, just thought I might have missed something in egoist feature set. :)
    thank you

• So now that some time has passed and you’ve all settled in to work with Aparillo, how do you all find it? Fun? Annoyances? Essential? Too much of a good thing? Never enough? In all of your tracks? Used as a dash of spice? Not used at all?

One thing I haven’t been able find answered anywhere ... is the current IAP price an intro price or is that its final cost? Thanks.

• edited December 2018

I love it! I would use it in pretty much every track for quite a while (yes could be honeymoon phase too) if the loading and saving issues were not so wonky. Too many times I have loaded a project in BM3 or NS2 (even with only one instance) to just hear the default patch so I am only using it for live jammy/record bits until they resolve this.