Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sugar Bytes Aparillo iOS

Comments

• @lukesleepwalker said:

Yes, the little icons in the Orbiter remind me of Reactable/Rotor. But this is a different ball of wax in terms of functionality and sophistication.

yup... I'd love to sit in on a Sugar Bytes smoke-filled product planning meeting some day. It would be "interesting" to see the shit they decide NOT to do! :)

• @supadom said:

@supadom said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Love the app, but why o why do they drown all the presets in reverb! Lol

They’re scared of bad AppStore reviews

Having said that I find release very obrupt and a smidge of reverb actually helps to mask that (reminds me of Oblique here), very PCM. Unless of course an obrupt release is what is required.

Yep it’s definitely not a synth for running dry. I am getting some decent results with much more subtle use of the fx

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Yes, the little icons in the Orbiter remind me of Reactable/Rotor. But this is a different ball of wax in terms of functionality and sophistication.

yup... I'd love to sit in on a Sugar Bytes smoke-filled product planning meeting some day. It would be "interesting" to see the shit they decide NOT to do! :)

Agreed. No, no, Hans, ridiculous, that would scare the children and make the horses cry...

• @RUST( i )K said:
    This is one of those apps I "feel"

As in I can feel and make what I want.

I know it is true for many but I connect to this one.

In one patch I tweaked a lead, perc, FX, and pad.

Not happening on many other synths.

Sorry.

This is a fucking monster bonus to the iOS music sphere.

Fair to say this is now my favourite synth. Good tutorials on YouTube too.

• edited December 2018

Ok. Feeling a lot better after a day of rest. Sleep kills weakness in the body and enlivens the soul with power to act on intent...therefore i present you with 4 instances of the luscious Aparillo resonating between your ears:

I truly love this synth and am just ecstatic that we now have access to it on iOS. Not sure what other synth on the platform I'd use to get these kind of sounds...there's just so much mood, attitude and emotion in the patches which lead me in new directions...it is a journey after all :)

• There's a lot I like about this one, but I'm finding the sound frequently harsh, abrasive, and metallic. Nothing wrong with that, but would like to warm it up and soften the edges somewhat. Still playing with the free one. Cool that you can try most of it out before you buy.

• @skiphunt said:
    There's a lot I like about this one, but I'm finding the sound frequently harsh, abrasive, and metallic. Nothing wrong with that, but would like to warm it up and soften the edges somewhat. Still playing with the free one. Cool that you can try most of it out before you buy.

I think this is fair but I found that moving around the orbiter can really affect the warmth.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@skiphunt said:
    There's a lot I like about this one, but I'm finding the sound frequently harsh, abrasive, and metallic. Nothing wrong with that, but would like to warm it up and soften the edges somewhat. Still playing with the free one. Cool that you can try most of it out before you buy.

I think this is fair but I found that moving around the orbiter can really affect the warmth.

Need to spend more time with it. Earlier I started with the init patch and was getting close. The presets are nice for sure. And again, I do like the sounds overall... just verifying that it's edges can be tamed a bit more if needed.

• @skiphunt I find that harsh, metallic, abrasive sounds are kinda Sugar Bytes thing. The majority of the presets in Cyclop and Unique are very dubstep to my ears. I'm finding a use for these tones more and more, but I tend to gravitate towards warmer, fatter tones by nature.

I get the impression that this is a deliberate choice on the part of SB. No evidence to back that up, just a feeling since I hear tonal similarities throughout their app suite.

• Ice Gear has a similar thing going on with the cool/metallic tones. But just with the presets in Aparillo I was able to more easily dial in warmth with the orbiter. In Ice Gear stuff you have to really work at it.

• I’m quite glad SB do something a bit different. I’ve got so many analogish apps. Time for some off the wall apps like some of the digital oddities of the naughties :D

• @echoopera said:
    Ok. Feeling a lot better after a day of rest. Sleep kills weakness in the body and enlivens the soul with power to act on intent...therefore i present you with 4 instances of the luscious Aparillo resonating between your ears:

I truly love this synth and am just ecstatic that we now have access to it on iOS. Not sure what other synth on the platform I'd use to get these kind of sounds...there's just so much mood, attitude and emotion in the patches which lead me in new directions...it is a journey after all :)

I still hear a lot recent delirium here :)

• Yeah woozy, right?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@echoopera said:

I still hear a lot recent delirium here :)

Good. I hope so. I want it to feel a little unsettling to the listener. Success!! 🤪

• edited December 2018

@echoopera created:

Leave it to the "Wizard of KEW" to do a great demo.

I think I'm coming to terms with what this beast is.

Take these Apps:

PLUMBING APP:
    ApeMatrix

5-6 SYNTHS:
    SunRizer
    Mood
    Shoom
    Model D
    Ripplemaker

SOME GENERATIVE APPs:
    Riffer
    Rozetta Arp, Cells, Bass

LFO Controls
    ApeMatrix features
    Rozetta LFO

TOUCH SCREEN CONTROL (for the Orbiter interface):
    TC-Data (controlling MIDI Channels 1-8)

That might make something this Aparillo does with a Preset.

It's like Turnado is compared to a Reverb Effect like a
    Motorcycle is to a Humvee.

Personally, I like building the ApeMatrix stuff but I'll buy this too since I can just add it to the insanity as an AU too. When looked at this way it's an amazing bargain at $18 compared to the build your own Sound-scaping approach for over $100.

• edited December 2018

@McDtracy you’re far too kind sir.

Here’s a little video to accompany the woozy delirium:

• @echoopera said:

Actually... I notoriously verge on "developer trolling". But I do lavish praise on productive musicians. You set a high bar for production. I thought it was KEW but it's not the App apparently.
    Go figure. It's not the gear it's the musician using it. Still, I can buy more gear.

I paid the $18 and I can confirm there's a lot of extremely musical presets in the 500 that show up after unlock. Like all presets you think "I should tweak that one a bit. This would make awesome for a pseudo-violin solo or this as a singing alien with a 7-octave vocal range". Just the biggest box of chocolates I've opened this year.

You can roll off excess reverb in the FX section and by lowering the Release in the Envelope.

Really impressive product and I can see why the cool kids hang out on the desktops. We don't have anything close to this for sonic ear-gasms. Until now.

Thank you Sugar Bytes. May we have some more? Maybe some toffees or a jelly bean assortment.

• edited December 2018

It looks like the excessive reverb is because the 16 voice synth plays 16 different sounds in unison one very thick complex note. No chordal playing just monophonic so turn on extra release times and a ton of reverb and the sounds all overlap and create polyphonic textures.

It’s great for leads, drums and lots of arps.

• This is amazing to experiment with.

• edited December 2018

Plus it's not complex to figure out once you realize all the icons are just mod control for the above parameter, and the symbols are there just to match the orbit screen. It's quite a simple synth but allows for doing very complex things. Very well-designed, and finally a really unique entry among iOS synths that is easily recommendable no matter how many other synths you own.

• Agreed. Spent a happy-time-goes-by-quickly two hours this evening with it. Always (for me) the best sign...

• I'm sure it's out there already.

A Streambyter or Midiflow script to split a 4 note chord to 4 MIDI channels?

Then we can start 4 Aparillo's on the MIDI 4 channels are hear some massive chords using these sounds.

Maybe I'll just start with Fugue and get some polyphony in the classic Bach sense... 4 melodies that create harmonies.

Any other ideas to get some chords going with this monophonic synth?

• edited December 2018

THIS TURNS OUT TO BE INCORRECT. 4 AU's of Aparillo works well being driven by Fugue Machine.

OK. I connected Fugue Machine to 4 Aparillo's using the
    Strings -> Synviolin KPR Presets on all 4 instances.

For 50 seconds it's only tracks 1 and 4 and there's a little crackle occassionally and the CPU in AUM showed above 50%

https://soundcloud.com/user-403688328/aparillofugue

The lower parts using the Violin Preset sounded very buzzing and overly loud making me think the AUM instance pegged. I get a similar sound when an App crashes in AUM.

At the 50 second mark I turn on the inner tracks 2+3 and Aparillo #1 playing the bass part (and maybe another) just starts to buzz. Is that buzz pitched created from a granule of a buffer being looped? It just didn't sound great with 4 tracks turned on.

This was on an iPad 2018 (non Pro 9.7" Model).

• @McDtracy said:
    Not good for running 4 copies in AUM.

Wrong. It was the preset making it sound bad. I tried it using the Accordian RAY preset and 4 tracks of Fugue recorded well.

https://soundcloud.com/user-403688328/aparillo-fugue-using-accordion

• _ki_ki
    edited December 2018

@McDtracy said:
    I'm sure it's out there already.
    A Streambyter or Midiflow script to split a 4 note chord to 4 MIDI channels?

Then we can start 4 Aparillo's on the MIDI 4 channels are hear some massive chords using these sounds.

You can use the Poly To NxM script by setting it up in a 4 by 1 configuration, for an easy start just adapt one of the supplied 5x1 sample sessions.

• @_ki said:
    You can use the [Poly To NxM script]

Awesome. This gives me a reason to buy the AUv3 StreamByter
    App to keep everything in AUM. Thanks @_ki. I knew you had an answer somewhere in the Forum for this request but having it in-line will help a lot us. It's now tied to what will become the Aparillo Mega-Thread.

FAQ: How can you split chords to multiple MIDI Channels?
    A: You can use the Poly To NxM script by setting it up in a 4 by 1 configuration, for an easy start just adapt one of the supplied 5x1 sample sessions.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Agreed. Spent a happy-time-goes-by-quickly two hours this evening with it. Always (for me) the best sign...

Yeah me too, got lost in it for a couple of hours last night. Paid for its ticket already.

Recorded a couple of quick things which sound absolutely horrible, so obviously I’m happy with that.

• @echoopera said:

Lovely :)

What are you using to sequence it?

• @McDtracy nice explorations. Thanks for sharing!

• edited December 2018

@MonzoPro said:

@echoopera said:

Lovely :)

What are you using to sequence it?

Thanks for the viewing sir. 4 instances were sequenced in BM3.