Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sugar Bytes Aparillo iOS

Comments

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@yowza said:
    Are the presets in the IAP any better than the ones they give you? I have to say it sounds impressive but I don't hear much in the free presets that sounds very musical, more for soundtrack/soundscaping which I love but I already have too many apps for that

Same thought. But there are at least four or five that are just amazing, so I’m hopeful. Will watch the videos.

Sorry, didn't go through the base package before just buying the rest so can't compare what is initial etc, but there's a shedload of good and musical stuff here. Small nit is that I wish I could figure out how to favorite things, but for now am just resaving the (many) good ones into a user bank.

This is, already, for me that movie released at the very end of the year which scoops up all the prizes. Def. Best Synth Award in the non-existent Goodyears....might be the prestigious Biggest Immediate Frisson also....

Frustrating for me, as I’ve been hoping/waiting for it for years, but due to work mountains I haven’t had a proper chance to play with it yet. Argh.

I hear you. Just about to fall under the Great Ignored Pile myself. Deadlines loom. Still, always better to have the work than not Mister.... :)

• The low resolution is a bit of a bummer though

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@yowza said:
    Are the presets in the IAP any better than the ones they give you? I have to say it sounds impressive but I don't hear much in the free presets that sounds very musical, more for soundtrack/soundscaping which I love but I already have too many apps for that

Same thought. But there are at least four or five that are just amazing, so I’m hopeful. Will watch the videos.

Sorry, didn't go through the base package before just buying the rest so can't compare what is initial etc, but there's a shedload of good and musical stuff here. Small nit is that I wish I could figure out how to favorite things, but for now am just resaving the (many) good ones into a user bank.

This is, already, for me that movie released at the very end of the year which scoops up all the prizes. Def. Best Synth Award in the non-existent Goodyears....might be the prestigious Biggest Immediate Frisson also....

Frustrating for me, as I’ve been hoping/waiting for it for years, but due to work mountains I haven’t had a proper chance to play with it yet. Argh.

Well I am sure it felt like years. ;)

• @Zaubrer said:
    The low resolution is a bit of a bummer though

Could be performance related.

• I see it's been said, but they really like their reverb algorithm don't they

• @AudioGus said:

@Zaubrer said:

Could be, but maybe it's resource related in designing assets across platforms. iPad is less profitable so back of the queue for attention so only one general ipad version. Maybe they will get round to optimising it one day for 12.9 :)

On the AU version, can you have a full screen orbiter with a minimal keyboard?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

I hear you. Just about to fall under the Great Ignored Pile myself. Deadlines loom. Still, always better to have the work than not Mister.... :)

Well it would if it was paid. Big Wordpress update coming which could wreck the layout of lots of websites, so I've been backing up and amending config files of hundreds of sites. The joys of self-employment!

@AudioGus said:

I think it was you as well as me who kept rhapsodising about this one...almost can't beleive it's happened :)

@oat_phipps said:
    I see it's been said, but they really like their reverb algorithm don't they

Bit of a pain actually, first thing I turn down.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Well it would if it was paid. Big Wordpress update coming which could wreck the layout of lots of websites, so I've been backing up and amending config files of hundreds of sites. The joys of self-employment!

@AudioGus said:

I think it was you as well as me who kept rhapsodising about this one...almost can't beleive it's happened :)

Hehe the big tease was that it so wanted to be a mobile app... just look at it...
    To me it is the perfect balance of a preset tweaker that also begs to be init learned from the ground up. Very hard to resist using all sorts of sexual metaphors when describing this one.

@oat_phipps said:

i have often wished that synths would have a global ‘reverb mix level’ override setting . Ussually I am just auxing to my own reverb anyway.

• This was a great demo by good Sir Doug earlier this year on Aparillo:

• @Carnbot said:

@AudioGus said:

@Zaubrer said:

Could be, but maybe it's resource related in designing assets across platforms. iPad is less profitable so back of the queue for attention so only one general ipad version. Maybe they will get round to optimising it one day for 12.9 :)

Even pixely on 9.7 but I never notice/care about that with music apps.

• Just unlocked the AU..yikes this does take the crown for 2018

• Maybe it is a "straight" port of the PC version which is not scaled to that high resolutions like modern iPads have? I mean the iPad Pro 9.7" has a resolution of 2048x1536 which is quite a bit more than the 1080p norm. And afaik most people don't use their plugins full screen on desktop so maybe the resolution of the desktop version is lower?

• edited December 2018

@AudioGus said:

@Carnbot said:

@AudioGus said:

@Zaubrer said:

Even pixely on 9.7 but I never notice/care about that with music apps.

Definitely more acceptable at 9.7 size though. It's not the most important thing, but it certainly takes a few points off for me ;) and would love to see the orbiter screen un-letterboxed.

• @Zaubrer said:
    Maybe it is a "straight" port of the PC version which is not scaled to that high resolutions like modern iPads have? I mean the iPad Pro 9.7" has a resolution of 2048x1536 which is quite a bit more than the 1080p norm. And afaik most people don't use their plugins full screen on desktop so maybe the resolution of the desktop version is lower?

I think that's the reason yes, they'd have to re-render and re-pixelate all assets at all the different ipad sizes to get optimal images and it's probably just not a priority. If that's the price for getting an ipad version out that's ok by me, considering it's a lot cheaper than desktop...but in an ideal world etc :smile:

• Damn, there goes this months app-budget. :) After trying the free version and watching the tutorials I just had to buy it. This is going to be so much fun...

• @AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AudioGus said:

Hehe the big tease was that it so wanted to be a mobile app... just look at it...
    To me it is the perfect balance of a preset tweaker that also begs to be init learned from the ground up. Very hard to resist using all sorts of sexual metaphors when describing this one.

@oat_phipps said:

i have often wished that synths would have a global ‘reverb mix level’ override setting . Ussually I am just auxing to my own reverb anyway.

The wash of reverb has always been a complaint in hardware as well. Some things never change. I have a head cold so my world is a wash of reverb and a sweet ringing sound right now. :D

• @TheVimFuego said:
    I don’t need another noisemaker ... downloads ... plays a few presets ... pokes around the interface ... returns jaw to horizontal ... clicks buy.

:D pretty accurate experience

• Loving it so far. This seems to be both an exploration-type synth where you just go on a sonic journey, and a preset synth. Presets definitely come in handy here, because even if you were able to make a certain sound, it is totally possible that you’re not sure how you got there! That is a compliment to the extremely deep modulation possibilities.

At the risk of sounding like one asking for more porridge... for the paid version, it might be quite a tempting feature for prospective customers to have some keyboard options, with scales and such. A ribbon controller would suit many of these sounds very well, imho. Not asking for AniMoog-type keyboard exactly... but that would be cool to have something similar “built-in”. I love Aum and apeMatrix, but the keyboards on those are very basic. Especially compared to the rest of the outstanding features. Just an idea for future revisions...

Now back to the galactic sound travel machine! <3

• How well runs the AUv3 on the new iPads?

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Love the app, but why o why do they drown all the presets in reverb! Lol

They’re scared of bad AppStore reviews

• Seems a bit heavy on the battery though...

• This app reinforces my idea that an app that would be PERFECT for iOS/touch would be something like the Orbiter, but as a standalone "thing." Think of Roz X/Y, but instead it's like Aparillo's canvas thing and you create the objects to represent midi CC's. So you can have this level of wacked out mod on a touch screen.

I've tried doing similar things with MidiDesignerPro, but it's not as slick. The ability to have things like radius, falloff, etc. would be pretty killer.

• @MonkeyDrummer Seems like TC-data would be up to this task, or something approximating it, but don’t look to me to work it out.

• @aaronpc said:
    @MonkeyDrummer Seems like TC-data would be up to this task, or something approximating it, but don’t look to me to work it out.

Yea, I've thought about that. I have TC-11 and it's amazing, I love it, but I've never had the "time" to figure it out or program it really. TC-Data would be a whole 'nother level of brain-pain I think.

• edited December 2018

@supadom said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Love the app, but why o why do they drown all the presets in reverb! Lol

They’re scared of bad AppStore reviews

Having said that I find release very obrupt and a smidge of reverb actually helps to mask that (reminds me of Oblique here), very PCM. Unless of course an obrupt release is what is required.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    This app reinforces my idea that an app that would be PERFECT for iOS/touch would be something like the Orbiter, but as a standalone "thing." Think of Roz X/Y, but instead it's like Aparillo's canvas thing and you create the objects to represent midi CC's. So you can have this level of wacked out mod on a touch screen.

I've tried doing similar things with MidiDesignerPro, but it's not as slick. The ability to have things like radius, falloff, etc. would be pretty killer.

Audio-wise, this sounds like Jasuto, which was the first I thought of when I saw the Orbiter. At least the first versions of Jasuto Classic, where the DSP nodes had a radius of influence and nearby nodes would interact with these nodes only if they were within reach (they would auto-connect on and off depending on distance). If I remember correctly, this auto-connection based on distance was not kept in Jasuto Pro?

• @bleep said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    This app reinforces my idea that an app that would be PERFECT for iOS/touch would be something like the Orbiter, but as a standalone "thing." Think of Roz X/Y, but instead it's like Aparillo's canvas thing and you create the objects to represent midi CC's. So you can have this level of wacked out mod on a touch screen.

Audio-wise, this sounds like Jasuto, which was the first I thought of when I saw the Orbiter. At least the first versions of Jasuto Classic, where the DSP nodes had a radius of influence and nearby nodes would interact with these nodes only if they were within reach (they would auto-connect on and off depending on distance). If I remember correctly, this auto-connection based on distance was not kept in Jasuto Pro?

kinda like Reactable I think too

• This is one of those apps I "feel"

As in I can feel and make what I want.

I know it is true for many but I connect to this one.

In one patch I tweaked a lead, perc, FX, and pad.

Not happening on many other synths.

Sorry.

This is a fucking monster bonus to the iOS music sphere.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@bleep said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

kinda like Reactable I think too

Yes, the little icons in the Orbiter remind me of Reactable/Rotor. But this is a different ball of wax in terms of functionality and sophistication.

• @lasselu said:
    Seems a bit heavy on the battery though...

Must be those insane graphics.
    :D